Own or Seek

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by Mazer, May 27, 2016.

1. Mazer

Mazer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Do you own any geocaches or do you just prefer the hunt?

2. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a few...Im Hitecrednek over there....I doubt Ill put more out, too many new rules..

3. Machine27

Machine27 Ridicuously Good Looking Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I had one...called the "****** survival cache", can't remember the first word. lol

It was in a spiffy clear plastic sterelite container(not the cheapo kind), packed with survival goodies and of course a log book...some sort of critter destroyed it, dog or bear...was all crunched and cracked apart with teeth marks in it. lol :D

4. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Owned up to 89 caches once and found 3 shy of 1700. I would rather hunt them than own them due to all the maintenance issues with caches. But owning them supports the activity and makes it fun for others. Now, I started Geocaching back in 2000 and did it for a few years. I have my reasons for giving up the activity but I have friends who still cache on a regular basis. One guy goes by the name Salz69 who started shortly after I did, maybe a years or so. He is now up to 75,972 finds and owned 945 caches. Now that's a dedicated cacher!

I've had a lot of fun putting out caches, trying to make them more challenging, making folks work harder to get that find. One thing about caching is that you really meet some interesting folks.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  5. Zaveral

Zaveral Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I had one for about a year or two but apparently it was in a way too obvious spot because it kept getting muggled. I finally had to scrap it. I don't search for them anymore.

6. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I own 3. They are in remote places that take some effort to get to, but aren't hard to find once you're in the area. I put them there because the places are pretty special in terms of scenery and history. Occasionally I get an email from somebody who found one of them and appreciated the opportunity to explore the location and find the cache. They haven't been hard to maintain. Nobody has messed them up, and they are in pretty rugged containers, under rocks. I've never done any urban geocaching. I can see how a cache in a busy public place could be very hard to hide and maintain.

7. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    We do both. It's fun.

Jon.

8. Iron Woodman

Iron Woodman The Iron Woodman

Blog Posts:
    I have a few back east that I set up. I try to hit up a geocache when I visit somewhere new. I have a little track able I keep with me so I can view my progress on a map.

9. happyjackotter

happyjackotter Tracker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Most of the good spots around my area have Caches in them already. Plus, my son and I are busy enough hunting them. The world is shrinking rapidly, finding a good cache spot is getting harder and harder.

10. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    I haven't been caching in a wile. I still maintain the few I have .
    I should go out again.

11. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    We do both, but only own a few anymore. Would rather hunt than maintain, but if everyone felt that way there wouldn't be any to find. Plan on more searching now that we are employment free.

12. ERR

ERR Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have about 8 still active. 1 archived due to people breaking it over and over (it was a field puzzle, but apparently it was easier to just pry the box open) and another archived after it ran it's course. My preference is to hunt & find.

[AKA: -RobFam]