Petzl headlamp question

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Wolf410, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Wolf410

Wolf410 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking for a new and inexpensive headlamp...I was looking at the petzl tikka plus 2...anyone know if its good? Or does anyone have a better suggestion within the same price range of like 40 bucks?

2. injun51

injun51 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had a tikka 2 and traded it. Good light until the battery started to run low, then it acted like a strobe light. Try the Eveready headlamps. Cheap and they work. I personally like Coast lights and headlamps. Mid range price with awesome performance. just my 2ยข

3. bushwolf

bushwolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    The $15 Energizer headlamp is pretty good.
    Its not good at long distances, but thats not what I use my headlamp for, the red LED is nice at night.

LL Bean's Trailblazer headlamps are nice too.

4. injun51

injun51 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Forgot to mention "4SEVENs"

Excellent lights. You might have to come up a little in price but it would be well worth it.

5. foxfire

foxfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  6. wilderness

wilderness Scout

Blog Posts:
    My wife and I both have Tikka's and like them.
    Fenix has a couple that are worth looking at too.

Sent from my vintage rotary pay phone

7. Bouncer871

Bouncer871 Scout

Blog Posts:
    headlamps

Most of the Petzl , Princeton Tec lines are decent. The energizer available at most big box stores are okay. If you want something real nice Google Zebralight. I use a Princeton Tec fuel I got as a return from my local Eastern Mountain Sports. Cost was $15 and works great.

8. Foilist

Foilist Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've had a Petzl E-lite for years that I quite like. I got it as a back up light, but I like it so much I tend to use it as my main light.

9. Spiffyguy

Spiffyguy Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have the Tikka Plus 2. I like it quite a bit. Light and bright.

10. AZExplorer

AZExplorer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have this one and it is awesome. Battery life is excellent output is great for both flood and beam. Its the best all around light I have ever used. It also has a a red led light and low battery indicator. I use it for just about everything. They seem to improve on the model every year increasing the battery run time and light output. The greatest thing about it is the ease of use. If you pair it with the rechargeable battery pack and a Goal zero system. It makes an excellent package.

Petzl Tikka XP 2 Headlamp

Petzl_Tikka_XP_2_Graphite__31872.1334967336.440.440.jpg

11. sneefy

sneefy Tracker

Blog Posts:
  12. jinya1004

jinya1004 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Interestingly I'm selling one of these, they are nice especially because of the difuser feature on it. Petzl really does make a nice product. If you can spend a bit more I would recommend a Zebralight.

13. Silverlion

Silverlion Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking to upgrade my headlamps, but have been wondering what makes an expensive lamp worth it.

14. muerte69

muerte69 Scout

Blog Posts:
    We have 2 of these and love them.
    They don't really eat batteries but I did just replace mine for the second time but it gets used for everything from taking the dogs out at night to working on the vehicles.
    Much better battery life than you would expect.
    The diffuser is the best part about this light in my opinion. It's a quick way to go from spot to flood and the spotlight has some good range on it.

Plus you will always have a whistle with you if you have your light...

15. TwoSpirits

TwoSpirits Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've had my Petzl Tikka 2 for a few years now; it's a good light for my uses and worth the $40 or so spent (well actually mine was a gift...LOL) I've never had a problem with it drinking up that batteries -- but I only use it around camp intermittently, or on an "as needed" basis, and I use lithium batteries which have a nice long life even in the cold.

I keep a cheap Eveready headlamp in my vehicle tool kit, but the comfort and my confidence in the Petzl make it worth the extra money. Also, I don't really care for the "buy cheap and just replace it next year" philosophy...especially when it comes to lights, which can't be re-used, re-purposed, or recycled. Our landfills have enough crap in them.

16. TJCeeJay

TJCeeJay Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've had the Tikka XP for 4+ years now, and it's never had any probs. Battery life is excellent as long as you use name brand batteries. Brightness is very good, and I love the diffuser. The modern version of the Tikka XP is considerably brighter than mine with no battery life hit. If I needed a new headlight I'd definitely consider getting another Tikka XP.

Cheers!

17. Hugin

Hugin Scout

Blog Posts:
    +1 on the Zebralight. I used a H501(now discontinued) for a year every night while in Afghanistan (my FOB didn't have any light at night). The flashlight body is made of aluminum, and can be removed from the head band and used like an old school angle neck GI flash light, but one that fits in the palm of your hand. I also bought some Sanyo Eneloop batteries, a quality battery charger, and some powerpax battery holders.

http://www.zebralight.com/Headlamp_c_7.html

Some Reviews
    http://the-gadgeteer.com/2010/03/14/zebralight-h501-headlamp-review/
    http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?79885-My-NEW-ZEBRALIGHT-H501-MINI-REVIEW
    http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=45518

There are a bunch of other reviews on youtube, but there are so many different models of Zebralight headlamps...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  18. Bartnmax

Bartnmax Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have three that I use poretty much constantly;
    Ticca XP
    Black Diamond Storm
    Coleman CPX.

All are good but the CPX has a lead from the remote battery source to the headlamp that could be a problem for some.
    On the upside being able to recharge the battery as well as running replaceable AAA backups can be a positive.

The Black Diamond has been absolutely brilliant. Easy to use, good lighting & very reliable.
    Love this one.
    Ditto the Ticca XP, although I haven't had it as long as the BD so can't speak as much regarding reliability - yet.

19. Landofrath

Landofrath Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have had the Tika headlamp for a couple years and had no issues.. I just change out the battery's once a summer.
    Been dependable. Its always in my pack..

20. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  21. jinya1004

jinya1004 Scout

Blog Posts:
    or if you looking to get really geeky with the lights, check out CandlePowerForums

22. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    We've been using a couple of the Petzl Tikka XP 2 headlamps since last year and really like them. Our son is using a similar Petzl and loves his as well. Actually, he's used his more times than I can count to fix his truck when he breaks something off roading in the middle of nowhere.

My only complaint with headlamps in general is my wife looking at me in the dark. She blinds me every time...

Jon.

23. 7.62

7.62 Scout

Blog Posts:

I just ordered one of those.I'm glad to hear that you like it.REI has the 20.00 off for members going on now,and with the little bit I had built up in my dividend,I got it for 31.00,and I am going to pick it up at the store,so I also saved on the shipping. It was interesting,I have not looked at headlamps in years,so I did not know that there are 20,000 headlamps out there now.I looked at reviews for some of the brands and models---That did not help.You read reviews on a model,and some guy,loves it,and another hates it,and says that any one who buys it is a fool. So I picked the Petzl Tikka XP 2,and that's that----And I'm stickin with it.

24. Brokenspokes

Brokenspokes Tracker

Blog Posts:
    havent tried this one but I have had the same Petzl since 99 and it still works. Ive used it tons.

25. L.V

L.V Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have petzl tikkina2 and like it really much quality is good. For more power and battery life I have Silva TrailRunner, love but it is dirty expensive (mine was -60% or so sale). Bought one cheap Silva to my mother but that was really poor quality and did broke after some use. So my advice is to stay away from low end silvas.

Send from Nokia 911 extreme via Tapatalk 4

26. Davros

Davros Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I think the energizer Headlamps are excellent for the price. Because I like to kayak I now use the waterproof Black Diamond Storm.

27. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper Supporter

Blog Posts: