Pine Sap- Stop Bleeding?

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by BGadvocate, Oct 25, 2009.

1. BGadvocate

BGadvocate Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone used pine sap to stop a cut from bleeding? Does this work?

2. Joiner

Joiner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't advise it... this is more likely to irritate as some people have allergies to sap and could possibly cause infection, Just use the usual method... If you are not sure of this, take a look in a first aid book or take one of the many and very well run courses...

3. BGadvocate

Blog Posts:
    Yup! Not a typical first aid method. I was just interested to hear if someone had tried it...regardless if it doesn't makes sense to do over other methods.:)

4. Joiner

Joiner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I realised that after i'd posted the response, my apologies... The answe is no I haven't, nor had i heard of it... I've just been watching a new series of ray mears... In his words " in ancient time it has been used for treating wounds" unfortunately he didn't elaborate... worth doing a little research on though...:)

5. BGadvocate

Blog Posts:
    No harm. Actually, I'd like to find a comprehensive list of pine sap uses. Google probably has the answer! :D:D:D:D

6. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    I know they used St. John's Wort and Yarrow to treat wounds for centuries-some people still do:)
    PMZ

7. Joiner

Joiner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    google is good, but the information isn't alway accurate as it can be posted by anyone, just look at how people can say they know how to use a knife on YT..LOL.. some do some don't... Books from a library might be more accurate, i'm googling it now...LOL.. especially after seeing the Ray Mears program this evening... at the least we know it's been used at some point for treating wounds in some way or another...:)

8. Joiner

Joiner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good day Trek... indeed they have and isn't it great that there are so many natural treatments out there... the dock leaf for one, simple yet affective...:)

9. Joiner

Joiner Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I found this on google,

http://www.mmpress.info/id50.htm

It doesn't say if it was used to stop the bleeding, nor if it had been through any process before application... but it does say that pine sap has pain killing properties...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  10. bensbackwoods

bensbackwoods Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey,

I have used the sap from the balsam fir on burns and to hold small cuts together...I thought it worked very well on a burn on my finger.

11. wildernesswikiup14

wildernesswikiup14 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    idk it works for me, i use it when i cnt get to my med kit for any reason

12. hog

hog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Spagnum moss is good as it has mild anti bacterial properties and thin sliced Birch Polypore fungus gan be used as a plaster.

13. Adam B

Adam B Guide

Blog Posts:
  14. Verdigris

Verdigris Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I've used pine tar on small wounds of farm animals. Spread it on thick & the bleeding did stop. When I'm working barbed wire fence, I carry a big styptic pencil in a tube for those barb cuts on my arms. Stings fairly well. Keeps the blood off my tools though.

15. jmbushcraft

jmbushcraft Scout

Blog Posts:
    Pine sap, as well as sap from other evergreens in the pine family, is as good or better than any commercially made product for a cut. Fir is often used because the sap blisters are so easily gathered, but pines work along the same lines. The sap is antibacterial and will form a second skin over the wound. Excellent stuff for a burn as well. We had a Balsam Fir tree near camp a few years ago and it got relabelled the "first aid tree."

Try it instead of neosporin and post the results.

16. Adventure Sworn

Adventure Sworn Guide

Blog Posts:
    I use balsam fir pitch on cuts all the time. Good stuff. Smells good, too. :cool:

17. moose

moose Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have used moss on small cuts in the past as i was under the impression it cleans it.

18. Thunder 9

Thunder 9 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Dry winter air creates skin problems for many people. Among the problems are skin splits. The splits are not only painful, they invite infection. A coating of fresh pine sap brings almost instant pain relief and seals the wound. Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night but I do use pine sap and it does work for me. Your mileage may vary.

19. edispilf27

edispilf27 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    100% correct. It's more antibacterial than anything. less germs, less swelling, less redness = quicker heal time and less work on the body.

It would be pretty safe to assume that any sap from just about any non poisonous tree would be beneficial in healing wounds.

Now, where's that super glue tree? :D

20. BOWGUY

BOWGUY Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    i use it all the time when im flintknapping, when i get a nick or scrape and dont want to bleed all over i just light up one of my pitch-sticks and wipe off the wound good and dry...or as best as i can, and just apply hot sticky pitch resin that i use for hafting arrowheads on the wound.
    works like a charm.

jamie

21. samthedog

samthedog Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have not used pine sap but have used spider web dissolved in vinegar. An old bee keeper taught me that trick and it closed up my cut very quickly.

Paul.

22. BOWGUY

BOWGUY Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    i use my "tempered" pine resin for that...when i have a chance to ,what i call tempered is boiled down thin enough to strain out almost all sediment,and thats it. it helps heal as well, you just have to make sure the cut will stay "dry" enough to take the initial dowsing of hot sap.
    then its flexible!
    never heard of spiderweb b-fo
    cool.
    jamie

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  23. Cap'n Caveman

Cap'n Caveman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    well pine is known for its antifungal and antibacterial properties so it wouldnt surprise me if it worked well hell I might try it kinda cool to know it can be used for more than preventing scurvy

24. sticks65

sticks65 Guest

Blog Posts:
    I have used pine sap on a cut and it worked ok.

25. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yarrow is great for wounds"Nosebleed Plant" for pine I 've used it to start fires,a glue type use, never on a wound. Sorry

26. Nerual the Mad

Nerual the Mad Guide

Blog Posts:
    Pine sap does have antibacterial and anti inflammatory properties. It also does a great job of closing a wound and stopping bleeding. Keep in mind that you should clean the wound well as you will be sealing any bacteria in the wound when applying the sap. Large wounds should be treated by a Dr. as soon as possible.
    I do use sap often on small nicks and cuts that don't stop bleeding. I have been a landscaper on and off for years and cuts are common. It does work but, I wash and dress larger cuts as soon as I get home.

27. StickyKnife

StickyKnife Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I haven't tried the pine sap, yet.

My Grandparents used to use fresh or dried Plantain or Nettle leaves for that. Crush and use the juice; and the pulp too was sometimes used. I still carry and use dried Nettle leaves in my kit. There are always plenty of relatively fresh-dried leaves since I regularly carry it for Nettle tea. If you don't like to harvest Nettle greens and save leaves for tea, I recently noticed that my local health food store carries dried Nettle tea now.

28. wildernesswikiup14

wildernesswikiup14 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    i use balsam fir resin on small cuts and it works quite well, on bigger cuts i use yarrow but on small cuts it works fine

29. mischief

mischief Guide

Blog Posts:
    I carry and use a small pc of propolis.
    Mischief