Plumb Axe Hudson Bay advice

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by mountainwalker, Dec 9, 2013.

1. mountainwalker

mountainwalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Seeking advice, has anyone had experience using one of these axes (I have an opportunity to buy it)? The handle is around 24 inches long. Such a large head I was wondering if it would be too top heavy? Any comments appreciated (axe newbie)

plumb axe.jpg

plumb 1.jpg

plumb 2.jpg

plumb 3.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Hard to tell much from a photo like this
    Handle doesn't look original and is a rather strange design and I wonder what it is made of.
    Head looks to be polished and buffed up.

You didn't say how big the head is, I have a couple of these Hudson Bay type axes and they usually have a head about 7 inch long with a 4 inch cutting edge, an original handle will be about 26 inch long. What I call a Half or Canoe Axe. They are great axes for general light duty work and for camp use.
    If I bought this axe I would have to change that handle out then rust up the head

3. Bax 40

Bax 40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    any thing from plumb is pretty good, if the price aint to steep I would get it.
    Looks like the haft is stained and a good job done on it.

Larry

4. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That handle looks handmade. An unusual shape. The head may have been ground down. I have 3 Plumb Hudson Bays and they look different than that. The poll should have angular chamfers at the corners unless that is a later model. Plumb put the same 1 3/4 lb. head on handles from 17 to 24 inches and gave them different names.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

5. Kile

Kile Scout

Blog Posts:
    I own 6 plumb axes and am friends with a fellow who collects them and I have never seen one stamped at the poll. That's unusual, or at least just something I haven't seen before. They make some darn good axes though. I just spent 3 days in the woods with my boys axe and my 4 lb er in weather that never saw north of 20f so needless to say they did some work. They performed like a champ and only needed the edges touched up when I got home.

6. 08H3

08H3 Reaper of trees Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love my old Plumbs too, but I have not seen one with a Bit that long. either way Id probably buy it just cause....

7. mjf

mjf Scout

Blog Posts:
    I say buy it! Plumb makes excellent products. Their steel is incredibly hard and holds quite an edge. Combined with the fact that it looks badass I would take it.

8. ATsawyer

ATsawyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    That style axe typically hangs with more of a closed face. Your picture shows an unusually open hang for that head, no doubt a re-hang preference by the previous owner. The small poll would be a drawback for pounding wedges if you planned to use it for bucking/felling with a saw or as an underbuck. That kind of use can loosen heads, and that style head has less bearing surface for the handle. Other than that, it should be a good limbing and small log chopping saw as well as a light carry. Looks to be 2-1/2 pounds?

9. highlander

highlander Guide

Blog Posts:
    Most PLUMBs are marked closer to the middle of the axe. Maybe Operator will check in on this one. It looks like a good lookin axe though, I'd buy it if the price was right. The handle is what makes it look unique. If there are any doubts about the hardness, I'd take a good file do an edge test.

10. mountainwalker

mountainwalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks everyone for the detailed replies. I have added a few more pics. Also the only dimensions i have for the head size are (8 3/4" x 4 1/4"), no weight info. Should have added those details at the time, but it was getting pretty late here and I needed some zzzzz

The handle is made from Red gum which is an Australian Eucalyptus, so definitely rehung. If I bought it I would use it just as a general camp axe. Which for me means stowing it in, or attaching it to a pack.

Sounds like there is a lot of respect for the old plumbs.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  11. mountainwalker

mountainwalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Anyone have an idea on the approximate age?

12. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    In the first photo it sort of looks like it is a laminated axe which I think would put it back into the early 1900s at the latest probably but not sure.
    I've never seen one marked like that either but I just noticed you are from Australia and maybe that was how Plumb marked their axes they exported there.

I sell a good many Axes on ebay and is surprising how many get sold to people in Australia, you put a good embossed head up and it's about a 50% chance it will be going to Australia, guess they are big down there

13. mountainwalker

mountainwalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Nick! That's interesting regarding the demand for vintage Axes in Australia. I guess like the US and Canada forestry and agricultural industries are part of our heritage, we also have a pretty healthy competitive wood chopping scene.

If your correct with the age estimate, it's in pretty good condition.

14. Izzy

Izzy Deceased.

Blog Posts:
    Thats a beauty, Id be on it for the right price.

15. adkwalker

adkwalker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks good but as others have mentioned I have never seen a Plumb stamped there may have a rare find

16. 08H3

08H3 Reaper of trees Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My plumb is stamped back by the poll.

17. mountainwalker

mountainwalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well I took the plunge and bought the axe and it will soon be delivered. Fascinated to see what its like. Thanks for the info everyone. Bushcraftusa is an amazing community :)

18. Kile

Kile Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a good buy!