Powdered Eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by joe305, Nov 22, 2011.

1. joe305

joe305 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Anyone have a good "QUALITY" source for powdered eggs... there are a ton of places online, but I was wondering if anyone has experience with any vendors...I need to add this item to my winter "bush" food list and the place ive been getting them locally dont sell them anymore....

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. highlife

highlife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just buy them at the local health food store, Chamberlain's...sorry. I actually think the mix is eggless... i know, but it works.

3. MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Many Moons Ago, the government used to have Bulk Powdered Eggs (for relief, disaster, commodities, etc) They came in boxes (about 18 inches cubed, in a heavy plastic inner bag) Many people bemoaned the very idea .. But, they worked Great - just add water (iirc: 1Tbsp of the powder + water = 1 egg?), and scramble .. The Perfect Pack Food .. heh!
    ... an interesting note: If you 'cooked' them long enough, they would turn back into 'powdered' eggs .. lol

4. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Time Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not since I was in the service have I eaten powdered eggs.

I have been told that they are much better tasting nowadays.

I have also been told that ancient aliens built the pyramids and Bigfoot roams the Pacific Northwest.

5. MJDavis

MJDavis Unworthy Field Participant Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  6. Wildmike

Wildmike Scout

Blog Posts:
    eggstore.com I purchase 6lbs. at a time (in 1 lb. packages) of powdered whole eggs for 50.00. They work great.

Make sure where ever you get them that you are getting whole eggs...many sources are selling a powdered egg mix which has a bunch of other junk mixed in and often taste bad and are less versatile.

7. rwolsen

rwolsen Scout

Blog Posts:
  8. mndless

mndless Scout

Blog Posts:
    There's always some guy who has to toss in some cold water on a good idea... I hate being that guy... but, cold water to follow:

Because the military is a prolific user of powdered eggs, and such, there has been studies done on the health effects of it....

As with all things, moderate use is fine... but if you make a habit of consuming powdered eggs, powdered milk.. etc, etc... you might want to read up on this...

The author of this book is not noteable, but he has done a great job of pulling together research and studies done by others... it is not a diet book for weight loss, but rather a book on a healthy diet... very inexpensive and informative book, there is a section that outlines the result of autopsies on very young soldiers and artial desease that they link to powderd (fill in the blank)....

Ok... voice of doom and dumper of cold water is not my role... just look past the cold water...

for the record... I have cases of #10 cans of powdered and freeze dried eggs... I just don't eat them unless the world melts down, or something like that...

maybe I am the doom sayer... crap...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  9. akabu

akabu Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    in the Military they were runny or hard as a nut we used them for trade for Real eggs or other edibles

10. T Co

T Co Guide

Blog Posts:
  11. Zengunfighter

Zengunfighter Guide

Blog Posts:
    Our local Cost -U-Less had Ova-Eze. A foil/mylar type pouch containing 1 dozen dehydrated Whole eggs. I bought a bunch. about $3.79 IIRC

I've eaten 3 or 4 packs. mainly as a supliment to fried rice. Have also just cooked them up by themselves, like scrambled eggs. Not as good as farm fresh. But still, pretty darn good.
    Texture and flavor are fine.

12. tnrick55

tnrick55 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    rickemt55
    we make our own powdered eggs

13. Daybreak

Daybreak Tracker

Blog Posts:
  14. carnivore

carnivore Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I just tried the OvaEasy dehydrated eggs yesterday and today. The had the texture of the eggs you get at hotel buffets (Also often dehydrated eggs) but they barely tasted like eggs, and tasted more like cardboard or some non-descript hardtack. I really wanted to like them because I need emergency storage protein options - especially for breakfast, and also because they are produced locally. I even cooked them in a bit of bacon grease the first time to help the taste, but it was like music without the treble and bass.

That said, they are far better - and cheaper - than Mountain House freeze dried eggs. Those are so bad I literally started to gag when I tried them. Those were hideous.

15. woodsghost

woodsghost Guide

Blog Posts:
    Dude, you do not need to feel bad about this. You gave us good information which we need to know. Thanks man.

Like you said, most everything is good in moderation. Thanks for looking out for your brothers and sisters.

16. T MAC

T MAC Old Squid Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    When I was in USN onboard ship powdered eggs were what was for breakfast; never could get past the green color of them.

17. Theo

Theo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My experience with powdered eggs is if you add some onions and peppers, some sausage, your seasoning mix of choice and a liberal dose of Tabasco Green, they aren't half bad. On par with a cheap breakfast burrito. YMMV ...a lot!

18. APRock

APRock Scout

Blog Posts:
  19. Arrowolf

Arrowolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    arrow_wolf1415
    I use these also. I also like the fact they offer lots of stuff in the smaller cans.

20. rdec

rdec Guide

Blog Posts:
    IMO powdered eggs and dry milk are both best used as components in other recipes. Neither are very good alone.