powderless 22 shells

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by waxerone, Jul 26, 2012.

1. waxerone

waxerone Tracker

Blog Posts:
    the other day a friend of mine brought up the fact that he was given some powderless 22 shells for some varment control around some out buildings. they are supposedly smaller than a 22short and pack a pretty cool punch, yet, no gunpowder is used! his friend is a gun dealer and travels all over the u.s., and aquires these odditys in his travels. would anyone here have a clue as to what this product is? thanks!

2. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Aguilla CB caps maybe.

3. Machine27

Machine27 Ridicuously Good Looking Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Aguila makes some. They used to make one kind for a rifle and the other for a pistol. I fired the ones for the pistol out of my rifle, they were traveling at about 230 fps per the chrono.

4. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/3-0301799

Something like the .22 BB caps maybe? Not sure how well they work, never used them myself. Seems to be a commercial version of the .30 caliber centerfire buckshot loads that are mentioned from time to time.

5. gasmandave

gasmandave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Aguila Colibri, I use them around the house for varmit/rat/snake control. Out of a pistol with a 6" barrel they are loud but out of my bolt action they are no louder than a pellet rifle. Work well but won't cycle an automatic.

6. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Yep, what he said! Roughly 400 FPS. Shot a raccoon smack between the eyes with one from 10 feet (long story!:16:) and it did not penetrate. That coon never came back though! Inside 15-20 feet they would hurt like the dickens, but other than small birds or rats you won't have much luck with em...

7. Adam

Adam Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yep, Aguila Colibri. Very quiet but not the thump of a CCI CB Short.

8. PlowBoy93

PlowBoy93 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have Remington Ceebees that's pack a wallop for what they are, there death on rats anyway

9. bushwolf

bushwolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    CCI has some new loads called "Quiet .22s" they look like regular .22lr but have no powder charge.

10. p moore

p moore Scout

Blog Posts:
    Aguila, Remington, and CCI all make CB's Long and shorts. Lots of fun, and are great for short shots on tree rats as well.

Paul

11. rdec

rdec Guide

Blog Posts:
    BB-caps (single round ball - lowest power) and many CB caps are made that way. You can take out vermin without shooting holes in the barn wall.

12. wacken

wacken Tracker

Blog Posts:
    in europe are called 6mm. flobert. i use a 22 revolver with a 22 blank rear a 5.5 pellet

13. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    ....Or pigeons in the loft, with out holes in the tin roof.......just saying.

14. GoodOlBoy

GoodOlBoy Guest

Blog Posts:
    CCI makes their cb caps in both short and longs (not long rifles though). About the power of a pellet rifle, and not much more noise.

GoodOlBoy

15. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've shot many squirrels and other small game with CB loads from Remington and CCI. They work fine for grouse also. I've been tending towards short hollow points lately, which are hard to find, but the CB's work well at reasonable range.

The "long" cb's are for actions that won't feed shorts, as I understand it. The power is about the same for both. Either work fine for relatively quiet pest control and small game shooting.

We've shot scads of the CB's in my Dads basement also, into a 6" thick wood backstop from rifles and pistols. Need good ventilation shooting indoors, but it's great fun in the winter.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  16. CharlieTN

CharlieTN Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The Aguila Colibri's are great. I've used the Super Colibri's out of a Winchester 94/22 to very successfully dispatch some large rats in the neighbor's chicken coop. Didn't even disturb the chickens. I was in the coop with them.

CCI also has out the "Quiet 22" that looks very good. They use a heavier bullet so it will hit harder and likely shoot better out of most guns. The Colibri's are not all that accurate out of most rifles due to the light weight and slow speed.

Just be careful for squib loads. I've had one out of a Savage MKII FV. These will also not cycle semi-autos.

Charles

17. 320

320 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i always found the cb's too noisey out of my guns.

the colibri has not made it all the way out of the barrels of a couple of newer rifles. i've never had the problem with super colibris.

the super colibri is fairly accurate, totally minute of vermin at 30 feet. functions quietly out of an OLD remington pump and an OLDER savage bolt action. where i really like them (but they aren't as quiet...shorter barrels?...) is out of a couple of stevens old favorites.
    perfect "garden guns".

the little bullet has taken animals as large as raccoons at under 30 feet with head shots.
    they are great for rats and mice. i even built a heavy barrel chipmunk with a scope and laser sight just for that.

18. domealaska

domealaska Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yes, anything sub-sonic tends not to cycle well in semi's

19. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    What group size do your marlins shoot with the sss rounds?