Preparing for an emergency overnight "get home" situation

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by NJHeart2Heart, Dec 20, 2016.

1. cek

cek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Look into GU energy gel packets I keep a ziplock of them in the top of my pack. I need fuel to keep me moving and these provide it as I can eat one in 5 seconds and not stop moving which is important to me.
    I live in Md but occasionally travel all thru your area for business, so I understand the weapons issue. Rember lowlifes looking to harm good people are cowards and usually prey on good people in packs. I would consider replacing the pepper spray with a larger more potent Bear spray canister. I've had occasion to use pepper spray in the past and even the larger sized ones empty quick especially in a stressful situation. Kinda like having one bullet, I have not ever used bear spray but I think that is the direction I would go.
    It sends chills up my spine thinking about my wife or daughters alone in a similar situation. And as you know bears are present in your state .
    I hope if the situation were to arise you would run into a like minded good person who is headed in your direction and would accompany you home.

NJHeart2Heart likes this.
  2. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Dawn Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the tip cek. I'll look into those gel packs- I've heard about them a few times recently.
    Yes, we are definitely in bear country, and I do have two larger canisters of bear spray. Never thought of using them on other than a bear, but I suppose it would work well as a weapon...They are heavy though, so have to weigh that with lightness of load and ability to make good time without hurting myself.

cek likes this.
  3. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Dawn Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey HEY!!!! I was a Murphy before marriage! LOL!!!!

4. marbleman

marbleman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wasp spray can be a good impromptu 'mace-a-like'. Some spray for 20 feet, and have a lot in them. Probably not available in smaller carry-convenient sizes. Probably should not leave in your vehicle in summer, with windows rolled up!

NJHeart2Heart likes this.
  5. Hook

Hook Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I try to be prepared for a 'get home' emergency scenario. Option 1 is to just drive, I'm only 5 miles away. Option 2 is to walk it. I know the terrain and can go cross country if needed. Option 3 is the possibility I have to hunker down for the night, in either option 1 or 2.
    In either case, the goal is to Get Home.
    There are always variables that can factor in. Maybe I can grab a bike, or ride with a coworker, or my oldest son works just a few blocks from me. But it isn't something I can Count on. I could list possible scenarios, natural, man made etc etc but I'm thinking you guys know what I mean.
    I could, I suppose, hunker down at work. But I have a wife and kids I would need to get home to.
    So. ...I want to Prepare for Getting Home. I don't want to just plan for 1 option only, if that makes sense.
    It's like carrying only 1 way to make fire, and counting on that 1 way not to fail.
    Just my .02.