Preparing/Surviving Riots & Civil Unrest

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Jäger, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Jäger

Jäger Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here is a pretty good article that I found on another site on riots and civil unrest in America, what to expect and how to prepare. It's a good overview of what has and can happen with some common sense info packed into it, written by a police officer that was in the L.A. riots. It goes over many different areas and is a good read not only for those starting out in "prepping" but for experienced persons also.

Link
    http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/07/riots_and_civil_unrest_in_amer.html

Jäger

2. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Thanx Bro

3. alannguyen

alannguyen Scout

Blog Posts:
    thanks for the link

4. Summit

Summit Scout

Blog Posts:
    be right back... running to the store to get some medical supplies. (not sarcastic)

5. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    Great article!
    PMZ

6. EricFromPortland

EricFromPortland Scout

Blog Posts:
    interesting article about the riots. I was in college in Northern California when the 1992 Riots hit. It was a scary time....

7. Edz

Edz Scout

Blog Posts:
    excellent. thanks for sharing it!

edz

8. PeterCartwright

PeterCartwright Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sadly, I think these are words of wisdom from one who was there. I'm old enough to remember similar scary scenes from Chicago and Detroit in the late 60's. And historians can go back a lot further than that to point to incidents of "civil unrest" in our rather short U.S. existence. I think the most significant lesson shared by this L.A. Riot reflection is, when segments of society (or worse) break down, normal safeguards are, at best, hugely compromised or perhaps even disappear altogether. As always, being forewarned provides the opportunity to be prepared.

PC

9. bnmb

bnmb Guest

Blog Posts:
    Presuming that it's something much more then just short term unrest or riot...Personally, my top priority is always water, so I'm studying all possible (and impossible) methods of water purification... I know one thing tho...If something big happens, the cities will be death traps, so I would head to the hills... :)

10. Bush Otter

Bush Otter Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    IMHO J.W. Rawles puts up some very honest informative information backed by reserch and expereince , I have been in several riots while working in prison and the rioters feelings of anonimity produces some auwful behavior . Pepper gas worked ok but I would have prefered Willy Peter to break contact on the streets.

11. Nerual the Mad

Nerual the Mad Guide

Blog Posts:
    Some things I would have never though of there. Man I need to get some guns..

12. Seeker1968

Seeker1968 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Very good article! Thank you

Thinking along these lines lead me to the area I now live. It's not my dream location by any means, but when we were looking for a house one of my requirements was to be in an area that was not easily accessible to the 'have nots'. Those riots stuck with me after all these years.

He makes a good point of having arms, if you are so inclined, that match what local authorities and military use. You never know when there could be a zombie outbreak :D

13. Kepper

Kepper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Moral of the story: If the SHTF don't live in a poulated area and don't have anything worth taking. Or if you do have something worth taking, look as if you don't.

14. ScotchDave

ScotchDave Scout

Blog Posts:
    A very interesting article, thanks for posting it.

Dave

15. SIXFOOTER

SIXFOOTER Guide

Blog Posts:
    well written, none of it was news for me, but probably was for some. Good post

16. Buckskin

Buckskin Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    buckskin066
    Great article. Certainly made me re-think my medical supplies. Otherwise, I look poor and want to stay that way. Now to figure out how to disguise a pillbox on the top of the house to bust a cap in those who wish to test my resolve......hmmmm.

17. Mister Dark

Mister Dark Scout

Blog Posts:
    Excellent link, and yea, good stuff there. I just moved, so I have to begin the process of learning my neighbors and local PD all over again...

18. Zengunfighter

Zengunfighter Guide

Blog Posts:
    It may be that all that they are interested in taking from you of value, is your life.

remember Reginald Denny?

19. odkyote

odkyote Tracker

Blog Posts:
  20. RX-79g

RX-79g Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I remember the Korean shop owners standing around with scary looking rifles during the LA riots. They got left alone.

If you don't have a ton of guns, ammo and/or money, I think the best thing to get is a reasonably priced 9mm carbine, 5 or more mags and a couple hundred rounds of cheap HP ammo. Some of them even share mags with certain pistols. Kind of minimum choice, but very effective at keeping people outside 100 yards from you. It'll take a deer or rabbit, too. There are more effective rifle, ammo choices, but not cheaper - 9mm is the cheapest centerfire ammo by a long margin. That means you'll actually be able to stockpile enough to be useful.

21. walkabout

walkabout Guide

Blog Posts:
    Great read and advice! thanks for that,

22. Edz

Edz Scout

Blog Posts:
    yes you do....

23. Edz

Edz Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's things like this that make me glad I live out in the country. I KNOW my neighbors own guns and am glad! They will be resources and allies should any of this type of violence make it this far north.

I remember the blackout in.. I think it was 1978, in NYC, I was a kid. I lived in Harlem, where I grew up. It got pretty hairy for a while. My apartment was on the 7th floor, overlooking a park and most of Harlem. We watched many many fires from out windows that night.
    I remember the people in my building posted people at the door and checked access. With 90 families in our building it became a closer community. But that was ONE night, could not imagine longer!
    No, I like it better here in the sticks!

edz

24. Zengunfighter

Zengunfighter Guide

Blog Posts:
    The only law under those circumstances is that which you are Able and Willing to Enforce yourself.

Lived through a cat 5 huricane and a couple of smaller ones. After the cat 5, there was NO law for a week, afther the small ones, just a day or so. Lots of bad stuff happening to people that couldn't/wouldn't take care of themselves.

Groups of people, wandering around, looking for oportunities. Now you know why I like high capacity pistols...

Stay home if you can. Less chance of a problem, and easier to take care of if there is one.
    Learn to be able to drive backwards, quickly. It ain't easy. (the suspension-toe in/camber, etc. are set up for forward motion) the car will handle squirrely in reverse.
    But you may turn down a street and find that you just ended up in a riot.

The bravado boys will say "I'd just drive through them'
    Well....
    technically, tactically, it has its aplications, however...
    You have spent your entire driving life NOT hitting things. That's a hard habit to break.
    If the crowd is big enough, you won't have enough energy to get through them....
    Be prepared to go what ever way is the path of least resistance.
    That's one of the reasons I drive a full frame 4x4 vehicle. I can go off road if I need, push things out of my way, have ground clearance to clear obsticals (imagine getting high centered on a couple of bodies..)

Does your car have and automatic fuel pump cut off? Try to bump something out of the way and you are dead in the water.

25. Bush Otter

Bush Otter Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My sister near Lufkin Texas which is quite a ways from New Orleans says that there were people who were robbing gas stations all up and down the highway , people seemed to go feral in a heartbeat. Katrina IMHO is a good senario of what to expect from the populace at large and many assistance agencys, solution , be some where else with the ability to protect and support yourself and family , having a mobilty option at a moments notice is a good idea if well planned.

26. EvilPhil

EvilPhil Guest

Blog Posts:
    New Orleans was always a zoo, in that situation people were just let out
    of their cages to roam around. ;)

The government agencies had been corrupt and broken for centuries.
    So all in all, it didn't take too much pressure for the entire thing to go to
    hell.

Now down the road in Biloxi, a good part of the shoreline was erased.
    They got the full wrath of the Cat 5 storm. The parts that didn't get
    erased looked like this. :D

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/File:BiloxiMS_Katrina_Sharkheads.jpg

So far they're doing pretty well, systematic corruption hasn't prevented
    rebuilding. Others likely won't be back not because they woke up to the
    fact that their home was a cesspool of evil like in New Orleans, but
    because the insurance rates of most people on the gulf coast has gone
    up to match reality.

And of course now, there's that big fat oil slick. 180,000,000 gallons of it.

Maybe you'll have some kind of social mayhem when New Madrid cuts loose,
    a hurricane will hit Baltimore, or the D won't print on the welfare check
    printer and Detroit will be broke for two months. :D

But I think it will be a good bit of time before you get anything close to the epic
    failure and total chaos that you saw in New Orleans. I'd give it another
    four years at least.

27. STOBBER

STOBBER Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm not a "doomsday'er" but i will readily admit a largescale unrest is certainally a real possibiblity in our present times.
    I believe everyone should have some sort of plan for theyre families wellbeing.
    We keep at least 3 days worth of food and water stored in the closet at all times , we have B.O.B. for each family member and at least some type of mini kit in our vehichles at all times.
    I'm not a extremeist but i do accept the responsilbility of my families saftey should the time come.
    Not to mention i like when occasionally someone say's "i want to be with you when it hit's the fan".................i think it's a cool compliment.

28. Mannlicher

Mannlicher Guide

Blog Posts:
    its hard for me to put a lot of faith in articles like this on Survival forums.

Rawls is a panic pimp, and makes his, (very good) living from keeping the rubes scared to death.

A careful read of the article shows that while the info may be of some value to a cop that has to be there, its not so informative for a Citizen that can just walk away.

29. Edz

Edz Scout

Blog Posts:
    walking away is often times easier said than done.

30. EvilPhil

EvilPhil Guest

Blog Posts:
    Rawles has books to sell, so he's gotta keep the buzz going somehow.

Mark Koernke and Norman Olson, those people are legitimately insane,
    but they did have some good ideas before they got twitchy and went
    completely around the bend.

Not saying I wouldn't have a beer with any of them and shoot the BS,
    but they're all too prone to assigning conspiracy to situations created
    by incompetence and laziness. Not to mention blowing a minor event
    up into something beyond belief.

All of them tend to forget cultural inertia. New Orleans went Mad Max
    because that's pretty much the way they always were. Florida routinely
    gets blasted by hurricanes, in the same year as Katrina and Rita they got
    hit five times. It didn't get much press, no riots, not much more looting than
    was routine.

The pacific tsunami hits, turns countless area into mud. Where's the
    looting, raping and killing ? Anyone anyone ? World ending disasters
    don't automatically turn people into rabid killing machines, unless there's
    already some strong background for that in their culture.

31. mountain1

mountain1 Guest

Blog Posts:
    thanks for the info. thank god we live in montana...!

32. Jäger

Jäger Guide

Blog Posts:
    The International Red Cross says more than one million people have been displaced in Sri Lanka, Thailand and India, as hungry islanders in Indonesia turned to looting to survive.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2004/12/28/tsunami041228.html#ixzz0uagcXG2j

Jäger

33. mischief

mischief Guide

Blog Posts:
    I remember the 1968 riots in Washington D.C.
    It was 24 hrs or more before the troops and tanks showed up in the Capitol

34. mountain1

mountain1 Guest

Blog Posts:
    anyone ever heard of new orleans? remember that?

35. bigfoot

bigfoot Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for passing along the article, it was a good read. Interesting to see that diapers were one of the hot commodities stolen. I remember watching the L.A. riots on television. What a nightmare...

36. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    Interesting article.

Jon.

37. Spartan300

Spartan300 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good link to save to my documents. Thanks for sharing it.

38. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    I would rather walk away from the scene of a crime, even one in progress, and keep my family and friends safe, than stick my fat butt in front of a bunch of ugly mugs and get annihilated.

Being a hero isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Hmm...time for a Firefly quote...

"You know what the definition of hero is? It's someone who gets other people killed."

:p
    PMZ

39. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    Phil...disasters round the world produce evil reactions in the best of people.

That kindly neighbor lady with her passel of kids underfoot?
    She'll be the first to demand you share your food with her starving children.

Some places are worse than others, true. Places where the majority of the population is on Welfare and expects the rich and middle class to bail them out every time they screw up, have the worst effect.

But I can think of nowhere on earth that there are no wolves among sheep. And even in those rare of places...people are still human, we get desperate and do stupid, ugly things to survive.
    PMZ

40. Spartan300

Spartan300 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I try to think the best of my fellow men, I really do. However, there is no denying that when folks have missed a few meals, are without electricity, are without money, are scared and uncertain during a shtf scenario, they are capable of things they never dreamed of before. Katrina, Haiti, and even rioting after sporting events in our large cities will give you a glimpse of what folks can do. Sometimes it doesn't even take a disaster for rioting and civil unrest! As mentioned by Trekon, if you especially have your family, kids, wife, etc. with you...the smart thing to do is "read the crowd" and quietly and easily remove yourself from the situation. There is something to say for "live to fight another day" after all.

41. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Key thought above- in even a very localized event, it will be 24 hours or more before ANY outside help arrives to restore order. It will be 72 hours or more before any effective aid at all reaches a disaster area, and it will be weeks or more before the aid reaches a level where it can sustain all who need it.
    It is our job to prepare for the period between the event and the arrival of any effective help.
    In a massive region wide, or national disaster, there will be little aid for any areas outside the State capitals and a few largest cities, and that may be so weak as to be of little use.

Local governments should have contingency plans for such events, but they don't- they plan to wait for Uncle to arrive, and that is about it.

42. Seeker1968

Seeker1968 Scout

Blog Posts:
    It seems to me that the more densely an area is populated the more likely there will be looting, rioting, etc..in the event of a situation, be it a disaster or otherwise. It doesn't take much to get the mob mentality going.

What is that saying in sociology? Individuals are smart, people (groups) are stupid.

I have never seen looting in a town with 500 people and 2 stop lights.

I just don't think people are meant to live so close together.

There is a lot to say about living in rural areas.

43. EvilPhil

EvilPhil Guest

Blog Posts:

That rule isn't 100% true. Way back in the 1990s there was a
    windstorm that produced an F5e tornado, and up north there
    was a counter swirl that caused a tropical storm for a few days.

In a town called Ovid, that no one has ever heard of, a place
    call Tom's Western Store had a serious structural failure. 60 mph
    winds ,with a few extra gusts thrown in ,blasted cowboys hats for
    miles. :D

It's safe to say a large amount of the windblown stock never returned.

Not exactly up to Katrina style party time, but they sure went through
    a lot of chain saw chains and beer after that windstorm. It was also my
    chance to see numerous forests blown down to 45 degree angles.
    Didn't snag a hat though. :p

44. probie

probie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    thanks the article was great

45. Marvellous9

Marvellous9 Scout

Blog Posts:
    ...Does a cupola fit your architectural style?

Yah, how did the Stainless Steel Rat put it..? "He who fights and hauls his freight lives to fight another date."

Yeppers. Eleven miles from the nearest stoplight is a bit of breathing room in worst-case scenarios. (I'd still like to be further from the main arterials, but that's something that can't be changed right now.)

A saying about the mob comes to mind, something along the lines of "The intelligence of a mob is that of the smartest member divided by the number of individuals"

46. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Having been through the LA riots, I read this article with interest. There was some good info in it.

I have a little bit of a different takeaway from that experience, though, and I can tell you with certainty that it was not "every man for himself". Those who were smart enough to prepare weren't caught with their pants down. The LAPD were not ready. Many citizens were not ready. Burbank PD and Beverly Hills PD were ready, and willing... they shot looters.

It was not fun. But it was clarifying. How much is that car stereo really worth to you? Are you, as a business owner, insured? Do you choose to live in a sketchy neighborhood?

I'm not saying "it wasn't as bad as he says"... I'm saying think about how the media report disasters... they always set the shot to have the worst destruction in back of the reporter, as if to show "imagine it ALL looks like this". It doesn't, and it wasn't.

Have a plan, and a backup plan, and don't hang around with bad guys. Know when to get off the X, as the saying goes. And basically, that means, when the shit starts to fly, don't stand there watching it.