pvc bow?

Discussion in 'Archery' started by bush guy, Feb 5, 2012.

1. bush guy

bush guy Scout

Blog Posts:
    i know some of yall have probably heard of the PVC BOW. I was wondering would one at a 40 pounds at full draw be enough to kill deer? Thanks for your input

2. chinookpilot77

chinookpilot77 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have made a couple. Some things I noticed:

Draw length is just as important as poundage when figuring penetration and speed.

They are fun to make, and useful for game smaller than deer, if you find that you have made one that doesn't measure up, they will still work for fish and the like.

I would make your bow, then compare it to a recurve or longbow of known power into a styrofoam block. Then use that as a baseline on your bows.

3. stronghorse

stronghorse Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been considering making one for myself, but one problem that I am reminded of is this: deer season is typically in winter and pvc is very anti-winter... I'm trying to think of a way to coat the pvc or something so that it doesn't break in my arm or face while trying to nail that ever-elusive monster buck!! The PVC bow vids that I saw were in the summer months. No winter PVC bow vids yet. I love to hear how your research goes, but be careful.

4. bush guy

bush guy Scout

Blog Posts:
    i will but here in GA it doesnt get very cold

5. chinookpilot77

chinookpilot77 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Same for AL.

6. statikpunk

statikpunk Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have no doubt that a pvc bow of reasonable poundage will kill deer. but pvc is inherently fragile. (susceptible to heat, cold, can be brittle, loses weight and cast over time) I dont think I would ever take one for that reason alone, they just don't last like a wood bow can.

40 pounds is a bit on the weak side for deer hunting for me, but it would certainly do the job, at an appropriate distance, as long as it casts well. most states have hunting weight limits of 45 or more, so you might want to look into that.

if you like pvc bows check out the book "the impossible bow" a young guy wrote it and has really done some amazing things with pvc bows.

7. bush guy

bush guy Scout

Blog Posts:
    ive seen the book havent read it

8. Stonecold

Stonecold Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I came on BCUSA to ask if anyone had tried to make a pvc bow and found this thread wow ,i had two lengths of pipe which i am not sure if the material they use in USA differs from the stuff here in the Uk,anyways i tried to heat and bend it as per youtube instructions and it kinked really easy so not so easy for me any tips on this the guys who have had success with it please.It certainly is not as easy as it looks and even saw some tutorials on YT how to bend pvc by filling with hot sand etc and i noticed there is even a special tool in the US called pvc bendit.

9. bush guy

bush guy Scout

Blog Posts:
    dont let the pipe get too hot thats y its kinking and then it could be bc the pvc is to thin bc ours is really thick

10. jaybird14

jaybird14 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've built and shot them at targets. They fling light arrows great. I believe in Wisconsin 40#( may be 35#, I need to check the regs) is all you need to shoot white tails. The bows I have made are simple, no heating or bending reqd.

Buid one shoot it see what happens.
    JJ :43:

11. grifter_v2

grifter_v2 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have spoken with aguy who wrote a book on making PVC bows, He works with my old medieval group in Honolulu called the Khanate of the Golden Horde. He has made PVC Horsebows with draw weights up to #60. not a bad option for about $10-20.00 worth of material, his book is on Amazon.com, he has some videos on youtube showing construction of his bows. here is a good link to start

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Backyard-Archery-Project/174850445926230

here is the book on Amazon
    http://amzn.to/qlW0HL

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  12. The Hunter

The Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    mfdfyrecaptain
    Just because its shaped like a bow I doubt that it would be listed as a legal means to hunt with. All of the pvc bows I have seen broke in winter and i am in Louisiana where we dont have a real winter but if we do its only for a week or so.

13. RMB444

RMB444 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    most native american hunting bows generally were under 45# and killed 10000S of deer over the years , only war bows went higher 55 to 80# that I have come across

14. draco

draco Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don't think the question is what will kill a deer but what will humanly kill a deer.

15. mccaw69

mccaw69 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've made several for my son when he was younger,most averaging 15-20 lbs. I read that it u fill the inside of the pipe with expanding foam,it will add weight,and stiffen the limbs,making them more durable,dunno,just what Ive read.I'm sure with some experimentation,you could build a pvc bow to pull 40 + lbs.,but longevitiy of the bow would still come into question.I've made humane kills on many animals including deer,with bows only pulling 50 lbs,I don't think doing it with a 40#'r would be much of a stretch,as long as you had good shot placement.

16. stronghorse

stronghorse Guide

Blog Posts:
    The one on the left is the PVC bow that I made from 2 pieces. One inside the other, then heated and bent. I used my heat gun to bend it. It measures 40# @28" & 48# @30". I draw at 30". Shoots pretty fast. If I hunt with it, I would use it as a 3-seasons bow only.

[​IMG]

17. ZuluWookie

ZuluWookie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I made a 1" recurve PVC bow that had a draw weight over 50 lbs. If you understand the way the PVC works you can increase the poundage by heating and making the limbs have more curve. I used the standard pre-cut length of 60" at Lowe's.

18. rlh2

rlh2 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    40 lbs will kill a deer OP.

19. Holmesmade

Holmesmade Guide

Blog Posts:
    In a couple of the Backyard Bowyer's videos, he built a bow from inch and a half schedule 40 PVC that shot over 180 fps with 435 grain arrows. He rated it at around 80 pounds draw, if I'm remembering correctly. I do remember he twigged a bit at the chronograph results.

I'm gathering tools and such to experiment with this idea, but I'm not really motivated yet. Haven't found a spot to shoot that won't cost too much.

20. ZuluWookie

ZuluWookie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    True, the 80 lbs draw was made from a 60" piece of 1 1/4 schedule 40 PVC. As an English longbow, pretty sweet bow. I have made 4 pvc bows so far, 1 recurve at 1" and 3 longbows with 3/4". Wicked good fun to shoot and really easy to make after you just mess up the first one to get it out of the way. HAHAHA