Question for the bark river guys.

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by luke2236, Mar 6, 2013.

1. luke2236

luke2236 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking at two barkies,but just can't decide between the bushcrafter and the aurora. Anyone have any tips for me? I am familiar with brkt's a2 steel but not the 3v. In about a month and a half me and several friends will go on our anual week long backpacking trip. The knife will be used for the normal bushcrafty stuff and also for processing game. The ideal thing would be to get both lol but right now it can be only one. Thanks for any insight you guys can give!!

2. pilsburythrowboy12

pilsburythrowboy12 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If game dressing

Is going to be the central purpose of this knife then go with the Fox River, Canadian Special or any of the Bravo series knives. They all have the appropriate bellies to accommodate dressing game better and are all built from big enough stock to more than adequately handle any bush crafting tasks you throw at them.

3. luke2236

luke2236 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have plenty of hunting and skinning knives. I'm really looking for info on these two barkies and the 3v steel.

4. JustJoel

JustJoel Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Both are solid choices in my experience. Having said that, the Aurora is a big knife and I had to own two to realize I didn't much like the length before I swapped them out. Both were solid performers... they were just too large. The flip side of that was the grip was very roomy and fit my hand very well. The Bushcrafter has a nice feel too it and cuts well however I have only had mine out once. It seems to handle whatever I have put it to doing without issue. Sharpening was not the same as A2 but not impossible and edge retention seems to be improved but time will tell more on that. I'm not sure at all how it would do processing game. For smaller game I would probably carry a different blade than either of these two.

Have you considered something like a rampless Gunny? It's a very capable knife and would, I think, handle all that you have listed in a smaller package. Just my take for what it's worth. I think it's tough to go wrong with any of these. Enjoy your trip.

-JP

5. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    My thoughts exactly. I have an Aurora and it is by far the most comfortable to hold knife I own. Having said that, I rarely use it because I feel the blade is too long and too thick. The knife is an incredible knife, just bigger than I am used to using or want to use. If you like big knives, go for the Aurora. You will not regret it. I come from a folder background and I find the Aurora to be too big. I do not regret buying the Aurora, I love it, it's just too big for most tasks.

6. Double Ott

Double Ott Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Aurora is the the number two seller in the Bark River line, behind the Bravo 1. It is an all around favorite of mine. I have 4 of them in my collection of Barkies. That said I also have a Bushcrafter, but don't have any field time with it. It is a solid knife. It was created by Mike Stewart and Jason T of DLT together.

To add to the mix, may I suggest the Liten Bror, the little brother to the Aurora.

All in all I would pick the Aurora for a solid choice in the camp and trail use knife.

Aurora and the Liten Bror
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tom

7. luke2236

luke2236 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    How does the aurora compare to the bravo 1 as far as blade thickness? I tend to pick up my bhk's as they are 5/32 over the b1 due to this

8. luke2236

luke2236 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all the help fellas!! I wish my computer was out of the shop it's a pain to try and look all this info up on my phone lol.

9. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    unless you can get a bravo1 with different thicknesses, they've all been a bit thicker than the aurora and bushcrafter I believe, but may be wrong. Not sure of the specific measurements of either though.

10. XMP

XMP Mountain Man

Blog Posts:
    IMO the Bark River Bushcrafter is a winner, the perfect "fits just right" knife in their line-up. The handle is just a little bigger than the Gunny, which was my go-to Barkie before they introduced the Bushcrafter. The Bravo has a super comfortable handle, but the blade thickness is overkill for most civilian applications. I haven't used anyone elses 3v, but I was shocked at the high level of performance when I first used BR's 3v. It touches up readily on a strop and lazers through wood. I actually am a fan of fairly simple carbon steels (1095, O1, A2, etc.), but 3v rightly deserves its high reputation in my experience.

11. Bax 40

Bax 40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have the Aurora and Bravo and the Aurora is my favorite.

Larry

12. luke2236

luke2236 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Wow you guys aren't making it any easier lol. It looks like the bushcrafter maybe the best choice for me,I have several larger blades(bhk pathfinder) that don't really get used much at all. I would still like to here a little more about anyone's experience with the 3v steal. How is it to sharpen in the field and edge holding ect. Thanks guys.

13. pap11y

pap11y Guide

Blog Posts:
    Pic for comparision side by side..

[​IMG]

Aurora
    Bushcrafter
    Northstar
    Northstar companion

My opinion is that the aurora and bushcrafter are both excellent blades.

I think the bushcrafter is better as the blade on the aurora is longer than I think I need..

I would go the 3V as well..

14. luke2236

luke2236 Tracker

Blog Posts:

Thank You!!!!!!! That was exactly what I needed to see.

15. Sterling Woodsman

Sterling Woodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I love the aurora! the countours in the handle make it very comfortable. no hot spots, great grip in any postion, and fits my big paws quite well

16. shonuffisthemaster

shonuffisthemaster Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would take the aurora for the half inch longer blade, to me under 4" is just a bit small. I also think the blade on the bushcrafter is a tad thick to be using a scandi grind.