Question..what do you sleep in...

Discussion in 'Sleep Systems' started by RJM52, Jan 8, 2017.

1. RJM52

RJM52 Scout

Blog Posts:
    ...as in when sleeping in your "system" what clothing do you wear to bed dependent on the
    temperature or if you are in a tent vs. a tarp etc....

Usually I am in a tent..sometimes an enclosed tent with a floor and sometimes with just a groundcloth. If the weather is above 45* I am just in my underwear. If it gets much colder then a set of Wiggy's nylon fishnet tops and bottoms with a light pair of wool socks. If just in a bivy bag or under a tarp and it is that cold sometimes a Dualfold top instead of a fishnet top only because it is warmer to get out of the sack to go to the bathroom or while dressing...

Will also when freezing use a wool watch cap or silk/wool face mask..

...and you?

Was also wondering how many people use their clothing, coats, etc. as part of their sleep system.

Bob

2. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Scout

Blog Posts:
    If it's cold I like to put my coat in my sleeping bag and sleep on top of it. If I get cold at night I can put it on easily and I'm not having to put on a cold piece of clothing. If I don't need it at night when I put it on the morning its nice and warm. Makes it easier to get out of the sleeping bag on a brutally cold morning.

ChrisOCLM, Vilke, Nonc-Tobe and 4 others like this.
  3. Backyard

Backyard Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For me, it doesn't matter what the shelter is, my only consideration is temp.

I'm very particular about wearing dry whatever to bed.
    • Over 40, wicking boxers, long sleeve wicking tshirt, night cap, maybe wool socks
    • Under 40, the above with either synthetic or merino wool long johns and definitely wool socks. Depending on how far under 40, I may add a merino balaclava and glove liners.
    I use a MSS for my sleep system. When using a tarp, I've learned to always bring the bivy, even if the temps are high. I'm looking forward to this spring to test out using a queen sized alpaca blanket I recently acquired.

4. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Getting ready for bed was always my least favorite part of sleeping in the woods. Years ago I would follow the recommended practice of having a dedicated set of base layer shirt, pants, and clean socks, and it was always a pain changing into all of that stuff before bed. Then I would toss and turn for a couple hours before falling into a broken sleep and waking up every hour or so.

One night after an especially long day, I said screw it and just stripped down to my undies and got into my bag and slept like a baby the whole night. I took notice and continued doing this for the rest of the trip and slept better in the woods than I have since I was a kid.

I think part of the reason was that I may have previously been overheating in my sleep, but even more of a factor was my body's love of routine. I don't wear a base layer when sleeping in my own bed, and having all that extra crap on in my sleeping bag made it really hard for me to get to sleep for some reason.

However, I have woken up cold before, so now I take that base layer set, combine it with a pair of wool socks and a wool hat, and stuff it into the hood of my sleeping bag. If I wake up cold, usually I'll just put the hat on and be fine, but it's nice knowing that extra layer is there if I need it. The hat is also nice in the morning; if I decide to sleep for another hour I can put it over my eyes and block out the sun for some extra rest.

For me, being unencumbered in my bag leads to better sleep, so I prefer to bring a bag that better matches the temperature instead of layering up when I go to bed.

5. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I generally wear every bit of clothing I have with me to bed. It allows me to carry a smaller, lighter, more compact sleeping bag(quilt) and still stay warm. Summertime around here though, I generally just lay down in my clothes lol

I also tuck my shoes in there somewhere if at all possible so I'm not putting on cold shoes in the morning cause that is the WORST. Trick I started using in the Corps is tucking the boots in between my bivy and the bag. Keeps them warm without getting me all dirty.

Nonc-Tobe, alukban, bacpacjac and 3 others like this.
  6. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't really have a specific system. I've stripped down to undies at times and I've also gotten in my bag with literally every layer on aside from a waterproof shell (if I was wearing one in camp).

Depends on the weather, temp and what I'm already wearing when it's time to hit the bag. When cold enough to need them, I don't usually change out of or swap base layers before bed but will put on fresh, dry socks.

Since you asked about shelter, I'm a fairly strict hammock user under a tarp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. RJM52

RJM52 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My best friend who I camped with just short of forty years before he passed away in 2010 always wore his cloths to bed...and never slept well. I finally convinced him to strip down and all of a sudden he is sleeping all night.

Another friend is a tarp and poncho liner guy... He would burn a fire all night and of course never slept more than a half hour at a time. Finally convinced him to get a sleeping bag and then he would sleep all night also...and my wood cutting was 1/2 what it had been...

Nothing like being comfortable for a restful night sleep.

8. Tanner68

Tanner68 Scout

Blog Posts:
    All my clothes are part of my sleep system. Wearing long underwear, draping my down vest over my chest, covering my legs with a garment, etc., are all ways I augment my quilt.

9. injun51

injun51 Guide

Blog Posts:
    The buff. LOL

alukban and bacpacjac like this.
  10. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    Always socks and synthetic or merino long underwear - warm temps I use the lightest weight possible, cooler temps a heavier weight. If cold enough to need a hood, then also a Buff as a balavaca. I mostly use a quilt and sleep directly on a NeoAir mattress which feels terrible against bare skin, and I want to keep my down quilt/bag as clean as possible from my body salts and oils. I'm not as comfortable wearing daytime clothes, and I prefer to reserve them as an emergency back-up layer. Sleeping bag liners are too single purpose for this weight/bulk weenie.

11. Terasec

Terasec Scout

Blog Posts:
    Depends on weather
    I generally keep most of my clothes on
    In winter i am often getting up through out the night to restoke the fire so rather be dressed for that
    If wearing bulky bibs or 1piece overalls will remove those
    In warmer temps will basically use sleeping bag as a blanket
    One of my objectives for this spring/summer is to do away with sleeping bag altogether in warmer weather

12. Dave L.

Dave L. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My favorite base layers for in any sleeping bag have been Patagonia Capilene Level II, maybe refereed to as Capilene Lightweight now. Expensive but worth every penny. Long sleeve top and pant-length bottoms. Any wool sock from Smartwool or Darn Tough.

My wool layers from First Lite come in 2nd place.

13. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Depends on the temps, but no real "system" per se. Unless it's summer here in LA (during which I seldom camp anymore), I sleep in my skivvies, and carry a cotton t-shirt just to sleep in. That's my luxury item, and it's got to be a really hard backpacking trip before I leave it home. I've always got a pair of wool socks, long johns and a knit hat handy, even on summer trips in NY. My bag is a 40 degree one, which is adequate for most of my trips. When I need a little extra warmth, I put on the hat, longjohns, and socks. It's no different if I sleep on the ground or in a hammock. If it gets colder, I will throw a shirt, jacket, my pack, or a poncho over me, which surprisingly really helps a lot. I have also tied a poncho (filled with leaves) under my hammock to extend it's range when I could feel a cold night coming.

Nonc-Tobe, alukban and bacpacjac like this.
  14. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My clothes, that is, whatever I wore during the day that is seasonally appropriate.
    A wool/fleecy hat anytime it's not summer (I'm bald.)
    A different pair of wool socks anytime it's not summer.

That's it, not too much extra or fancy

15. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am usually in a hammock but I do the same things when not.

I do a down UQ + Climashield bag AND a climashield poncho liner/woobie as a "hole stuffer" or elephant foot. On the ground, I swear by the Xtherm pad and the mil-surp Goretex bivy bag. I have been meaning to get a WIDE Xtherm but they are very spendy.

I use a sleeping bag stuff sack that is fleece lined on the inside as a pillow and/or storage for temp-sensitive gear while sleeping.

Going to camp, it holds polar fleece booties, spare head gear, mittens, socks, etc. I put that stuff on when /if needed when going to sleep. Going to bed, I remove my "days socks", put them in that fleece bag and put the polarfleece booties on to sleep.

Depending on need, I usually remove my upper insulation layer and use that as a pillow. I will always remove the outer wind/water layer from my legs and just sleep in the inner layer - usually plain ol' jeans. I totally hate wearing tight fitting long johns and cut them at the knee if I do or wear fleecey pyjamas under my jeans instead (looking to go silk).

In the fleece lined pillow stuff sack I put: head gear, socks & mittens to dry out, batteries, butane canisters, lighters, liquid filled compasses, maybe ammo/food/fluids. These go to sleep with me to get body heat to dry and remain warm.

I will remove my wool boot liner and put them at the bottom of my bag or somewhere near so I can pre-warm them in my bag at like 3AM before I put them on. This one practice really helps prevent morning cold feet. Some folks will put a hot water bottle in their boots before putting them on.

My iphone (spare battery), butt wipes and headlamp/flashlight stays on my chest in an inner layer (usually a fleece/windproof vest). Keep butt wipes warm --> total luxury.

Sleep gear is a "machine" for maintaining things at temp and drying out stuff in winter.

16. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing that. There's a great lesson in your reply- You don't have to do it the same way you've been taught. Be open to trying something different, and you may just find a GREAT way to solve whatever challenge (in this case, getting a good night's sleep in the woods).

Bitterroot Native likes this.
  17. chris67

chris67 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I always sleep in light thermals keeps the bag clean and keeps body oils from affecting insulation over time which reduces warmth of the bag