Quick hike, poncho tarp setup, fire prep

Discussion in 'Trips & Expeditions' started by jloden, Apr 22, 2011.

1. jloden

jloden Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I went for a quick hike this afternoon/evening, planning to do some bushcrafting. I called it a night early, evidently the local teenagers use the same chunk of wooded area as a hangout. Once a half a dozen teenage kids were shouting and traipsing around where I had set up, I decided to bail and head home.

On the way in I spotted some scat and what looked like fur of some kind, not sure what it goes with. Anyone recognize these and know what they came from? My guess is the hair is from a deer, but not sure about the scat:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was tons of trash in the woods, unfortunately. Lots of water bottles (even one that was at least 2/3 full), energy drinks, and beer cans - even one old empty can of Zippo fluid. I also found various assorted junk ranging from paintball gear to large metal industrial parts. Despite the signage of no hunting/trapping, I did see some hunter's trail markers, though it was hard to tell just how old they were. One interesting find, a shovel head without a handle, looks like it probably bent and broke the handle loose:

[​IMG]

I found some old tires set up in some sort of lounge area:

[​IMG]

Obviously this must be a regular hangout spot, looked like there are some old firepits, and there's items of clothing and all sorts of stuff left behind. A little further over, I found this interesting lean-to setup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hiked a little further over to a suitable spot and decided to try setting up my poncho as a tarp and maybe knock out a few of the Bushclass homework assignments. I found a sapling in a handy curve and decided to try using it as an arch support for a poncho lean-to, with the center/hood pulled out and tied off to a tree branch with a taut-line hitch. The two "ground" ends are staked in with some quick stakes I carved out of broken branches:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tucked my gear in and collected enough prep for the twig fire assignment as some practice:

[​IMG]

Just as I finished that I heard voices and snapping twigs, shortly followed by spotting a couple teenagers stalking through the woods. A moment or two later there was more noise and shouting... I have no idea if the kids were playing a game or just screwing around or what but I figured it was a good time to pack up and head home for the day. I'm sure they were utterly baffled what the hell some guy was doing out there with a pack full of gear hanging out under camo tarp in the middle of the woods :p

Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to relax and get done some of the other bushclass homework or test out my ESEE-6 like I was hoping, but I'll try and get to both sometime soon.

-Jay

2. dwightp

dwightp Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Recent North Florida transplant from Northwest Geo
    I think you stumbled across a Sasquatch camp. You are lucky you weren't eaten.

3. jloden

jloden Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I hadn't thought of that, good thing I left when I did! :D

4. natureboy68

natureboy68 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Dam kids...sweet setup though! Gotta admit in my formative years, i would been there...good that you got out at least...

5. jloden

jloden Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yep, when I was a kid I spent countless hours wandering the woods around the apt we lived in. Can't really blame the local kids for hanging out in the woods, though I wish they didn't leave so much garbage behind.

Guess I need to scope out a new spot for next time ;)

6. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    really nice to see the different poncho set up - thanks!

congrats on getting out!

7. greyhound352

greyhound352 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Glad to see you still got to practice some homework skills before departing.

8. Taliesin

Taliesin Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for taking us along!

9. hughhaff

hughhaff Scout

Blog Posts:
    Inovative use of that sapling!

10. jloden

jloden Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

I had my 8x10 tarp with me also... if I'd had more time it would have been cool to try that. A larger tarp would have enabled me to add some side protection in a half dome shape.

There was another spot with a couple fallen trees in a staggered arrangement that would have made an awesome shelter with a tarp or poncho thrown over the top. It was pretty near the "lounge" and lean-to I spotted, so I walked a bit farther away to set up instead. Might go back and check it out sometime later though.

11. Weltz4u

Weltz4u Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well from being in the paintball business for 20+ years and from the look of your pics, its seems you have stumbled upon a outlaw paintball field. We call it outlaw because there is not safety measures refs, insurance etc. I'm curious as to what kind of paintball gear you found ? Also if they are playing out there you might wanna stay away with out the propper eye protection.

12. jloden

jloden Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like the most likely explanation. Would certainly explain the stalking through the woods accompanied by screaming :) The gear I found was this, some kind of protector and a pair of goggles, both attached to a tree:

[​IMG]

I didn't get pics of it specifically but I also found at least one black plastic container that looked to me like a paintball pod / speedloader. Actually, you can see it in the background of the photo above.

Given the amount of trash and junk I ran across I'm sure they're out there on a pretty regular basis. It's probably better if I find another spot to bum around the woods. I have no desire to get popped with a paintball in the face while carving a featherstick ;)

-Jay

13. Blazin

Blazin Guide

Blog Posts:
    Is a shame you found all that trash. I'd imagine if you incorporate a good solid 20 minute light jog next time you can venture further into the woods than most of those teenagers care to go. You'll incorporate good cardio training and get away from the people and trash and you'll probably see more wildlife. Also thanks for the picture of the small sapling used in conjunction with your poncho. Very nicely done.

14. jloden

jloden Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hehe 20 minutes of jogging would probably put me clear out the other side of these woods onto the highway or at the very least onto somebody's farm :D It's pretty but really just a small slice of woods left between the highway, condos, and other developed land.

This was the nearest & most convenient spot but I've got a couple more ideas to check out.

-Jay

15. idahoelkhunter

idahoelkhunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Head back there during school hours, you may have it to yourself. Then again the "real" hoodlums may be there then.

16. mwesnav

mwesnav Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    mwesnav
    Sorry to hear that your trip was interupted, I am so fortunate to have my own land to enjoy. The pics were great thanks for sharing!

17. GeoKrpan

GeoKrpan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Love the bent pole tarp setup. Gonna' have to try that with a tent pole.