"Rancher" knife pass around

Discussion in 'RJ Custom Knives & Custom Leather Sheaths' started by Beo-wulf, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Beo-wulf

Beo-wulf Guide Vendor Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Here is a new thread for the Rancher knife pass around.

If you wish you order a Rancher, you need to do so on the order thread.

This thread is for info, pics and pass around reviews only.
    I have asked UptheCreek to help me with this, cause he knows more about this type of pass around than I do, and I think he is a good fella.
    We have asked a few members here to be involved in the pass around, so you will be hearing from them as they take their turn.

I know this knife is not the most pretty, fancy or artistic knife around. In fact, it is kinda simple and plain. But Jeff White and I both believe it is tuff, well made, has good temper and heat treat. We think it is going to be very hard to beat for the money....but we wanted to hear what a few others think.

The particular knife being passed around has curly maple handles, it does not have any makers mark cause it was our first prototype.

Each person involved will do a task or two with the knife, takes and post some pictures and do a review.

Post you pics and reviews here fellas......

2. petrifiedwood

petrifiedwood Guest

Blog Posts:
    UTC is good at arranging pass-arounds. You'll get honest, fair reviews from folks using the knife for real, practical tasks. Those look like nice knives and I am looking forward to the reviews! :dblthumb:

3. tommysjr4045

tommysjr4045 Scout

Blog Posts:
    +1 on looking forward to it. This looks like a super functional tough knife.

4. tarzan

tarzan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Can't wait to hear about this one.

5. r34ryan

r34ryan Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you need a knife REALLY put through its paces Gaga is an excellent reviewer of knives...for an axe guy :9:

6. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Ok boys and girls looks like I am first up.

I had no expectations with this knife. Infact I was shocked and honored to be asked by Robert to review his knife. When it showed up and I took it out of the box I was shocked. In a good way! The knife looked awesome but it also melted into my hand. It felt like it belonged there.

On to the photos! First the glamor shots. It's a pretty knife that's for sure!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now for the work.
    Feather sticks no problem, this knife was sharp right out of the box. Convex grind I believe.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Splitting bass wood to make a spoon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice seasoned oak branch, carving easily
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The dip in the spine or the thumb ramp is squared up and works great on a firesteel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Split some seasoned hard wood. Batoning was easy
    [​IMG]

A little marring to the finish
    [​IMG]

Still cuts like a champ
    [​IMG]

What I really like about this knife.
    1. Extended thumb ramp - works great for choking up in the knife to do detailed work
    2. The deep belly
    3. The handle shape, fits nicely in my mitts
    4. Overall look

Faults
    1. Can't think of any!

This will be hard sending to the next guy for review. I really want to keep this knife!!!!

7. AlteredMentalStatus

AlteredMentalStatus Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    bigkingtut@mac.com
    I had received this knife also, I was not able to get out and put the knife through it's pace's....I agree with Panzer, It fit very nicely in my hand, quality was excellent, sliced through paper like no other, very pleasing to the eye.....A VERY GOOD KNIFE!!!!!!!!!!! Y'all better get you one....

8. tarzan

tarzan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ditto, I got mine, can't wait to use it.

9. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I really took too long with this review but it was pouring for 3-4 days. The handle is the deal maker or breaker on my knives. I use flat sided micarta and finger grooved kraton the same as long as it fits and doesn't make blisters. This one is among the best I've felt. No B.S. I own ALOT of knives. I really like this handle.

The tip is just pointed enough to make a hearth board and definitely strong enough to last. I like the belly in the kitchen. One warning tho with a convex blade this thick, it will send carrot slices across the room.

Outside finally I set it into the end of some season white oak firewood. Batoned it thru a few times and then cross batoned some dead pear limbs. I cross baton limbs like this when making tent stakes and trap triggers. The harder and drier the wood, the more sensitive I can make my trigger. Made some oak curls and checked the edge. Still sharp and true. It gained a few new marred places but is begging for the next one in line to use it hard.

It ships out this morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. NorCalHermit

NorCalHermit Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks awesome!:dblthumb:

11. Easy_rider75

Easy_rider75 Bushwhacker

Blog Posts:
    Ah damn I think might be my first when I get the loot in the summer custom purchase. Damn good lookin knife

12. Looker

Looker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hey, it must be my turn! As Panzer said, I was honored to be asked to do a review. I don't know that I'm necessarily qualified to do one, I'm nobody special, but I'll share my opinion. A word of warning though- this will be a little "pic heavy".

I was a little disappointed when this knife arrived at my house. I checked the mail just as my wife was dishing up dinner, and she made me wait until after I ate before I could open the package. :17: Fortunately, years in the military have taught me how to put a meal away pretty quickly!

I'll be honest, the shape of this knife doesn't jump at me. It's not as aesthetically pleasing as a lot of other knives I have used or owned over the years. However, Robert made it clear that it wasn't designed for beauty, it was designed to perform. And perform it does!

When I got this knife initially, I felt that it could be sharper. Not a big surprise, as it has already been tested by a few other reviewers. I thought about touching it up, but decided to give it a go as it was first.

I rarely chop or baton with my knives. I love hatchets and own several, so either they or my tomahawk usually get the nod for those jobs. This is a knife review however, and I wanted to see how it did. On top of that, the design lends itself to chopping. It has kind of a weight-forward design, and the handle is great for a 2-finger hammer grip. Time for some pictures!

Chopping some willow. Not big stuff, but we have a lot of it:

[​IMG]

This is how I gripped it for chopping:

[​IMG]

Chopped another one, just for fun!

[​IMG]

Batonning a 2x4. Not very 'shrafty, but it makes a good comparison because they are widely available:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The grain was twisted and I didn't realize it. This is what I would consider abuse of a knife, but the Rancher took it in stride:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made some curls too, though it could have benefitted from a good sharpening:

[​IMG]

Did some chopping on the 2x4 too, and I couldn't believe how this knife ate wood! Did this in well under 30 seconds:

[​IMG]

Split up some little stuff for the fire pit:

[​IMG]

Took some more pics after I got back home. As you can see, the curly maple and the forged finish on the blade combine to make a rustic looking package:

[​IMG]

Robert's leatherwork is pretty awesome!

[​IMG]

I pulled out the mousepad and paper, and just a few minutes later it was much sharper and hungrier. Made some beautiful curls from a piece of aged ash:

[​IMG]

As Panzer said, the spine/tumb ramp are great for use with a ferro rod:

[​IMG]

This is how I grip a knife for skinning, and the Rancher feels great when held this way:

[​IMG]

Works well when gripped for detail cuts too:

[​IMG]

As I said at the beginning, his knife is not beautiful to me. The question is, who cares? It's a performer, and that's what counts! It has curves in all the right places, and it feels great in the hand. Like a good woman, beauty is great but what really counts is how she treats you. To me, what really makes a knife feel good is a combination of balance and handle shape, and this one has both. It fits me like it was custom made for me, and the balance is great.

In summary, I think Robert hit a home run with this knife! Thanks for indulging my opinions.

Looker

13. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    nice write up Looker - I'm just now catching up to this thread - sorry to all who came before this post!

This knife does look like a fantastic user!

ok...now I gotta go catch up on this thread and check it all out! :)

14. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    OK...sorry for the back to back posts...but I'm REALLY impressed with this knife the more I see it!

you guys that have had it before have shown some great stuff!!!! :35:

15. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    It arrived today!!!!

mercy - Robert your leather work....I've only oogled it from computer monitors....man do you make some leather magic!

The blade is really neat - I actually think it's gonna be a lot of fun.

Pics will be coming, of course. just wanted to let Mr. Jones and Looker know it's here!

16. Branm008

Branm008 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Been following this thread just because I have one of Roberts sheaths, but that is one good lookin blade so I had to keep reading. Great work on the blade and reviews.

Interested to see what you put it through solocanoe.

-Brandon

17. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    OK - first off - I want to say how humbled I am that Robert asked me to be a part of this!!!

If any of you are like me and have hung around various forums for a few years....Mr. Robert Jones is quite the honorable 'master crafter' of all things leather....
    it was exciting to get the chance to look at a RJ sheath up close!!! :9:

Check out some of the pics above in the thread for up close details - the sheath is pure - d - awesome -
    and his "semi-horizontal" mounting set up is really neat - even works cross-draw upside down for me as a lefty!

OK....but the blade, right?

well - first off lets get a "posin' shot" out in the woodpile. I got this last evening in the setting sun:

[​IMG]

today I took it to work - I've got a small lunch meeting - my contribution:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a natural "chef-knife" style slicer - as you might imagine it would be given the profile.
    The extended thumb ramp really allows me to put a lot of 'exact' pressure right where I want it on the section of the blade I'm using.

About 1" back from the tip it is easy to guide that part down thru the cheese and meat - the extended thumb area has to help.
    nothing hard here...but it was nice to see how easy it was to use the most forward section of the cutting edge.

The rear section is what I'd call the "normal" cutting area for a kitchen use knife...and the RJ Rancher blade seems to shine pretty well in that area.

So far the handle is something I'm getting used to - it's what I'd call "medium" in size...but it's so round and so smooth....
    I'm still getting adjusted to holding it -

I know a lot of folks do say they like the round and smooth handles.....but I've not found them nearly as comfortable over longer use, but then again...RJ offers the micarta that is more shaped to the hand grip if one prefers. Something for everyone! :57:

The "look" of the handle though....there is not ONE picture on the web....that can EVER show you how STUNNING this handle is in person! :59:

I left the knife in the counter last nite when I got home - family in and out to ball games and errands - every single person commented on how amazing the handle looked.
    It really is some kind of beautiful!

well I have to hit that lunch meeting - prob be tommorrow night before I can get outside with it.

thanks for looking

18. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    well I was able to get some stuff done early afternoon today....

I decided to try to get some 'real woods use' done...even if I was just in my backyard! :D

so - grabbed the tarp, some oak off the pile, the firepit, the firesteel, and the "Rancher":

[​IMG]

sorta hard to see here...but I've got a split-off section...and I'm tip-splitting it into slivers:

[​IMG]

if you can draw you eyes away from that beautiful handle...:)
    it batons like very well!

[​IMG]

after a period of time...I had made some fire-prep piles and filled the hat with shavings and curls:

[​IMG]

now the Dallas tornadoes meant lots of rain for us the other day...so I used a little jute to help things along -
    the extended thumb ramp showers sparks off the ferro rod!

[​IMG]

**total honestly disclosure...I still need to drill some holes in the bottom of the firepit for a draft....I SHOULD have rolled the curls onto the flame instead of getting close and blowing...lol....sorta got a tender eyebrow from a flame up! :34::18:

this is as far as it went - we got a fire going...it's a good knife and worked really well doing the tasks...but I had to shut it down for Good Friday evening other things to do.

[​IMG]

Overall, I'd say everything I tried with the knife was 'do-able'. Nothing is impossible with this blade...I'd say Robert - for your first attempt at a design - you put out something really neat. It's not like anything...but it's got enough of what's familiar...that it doesn't take but a minute to find the right way to use it most effectively.

I may or may not get more up - gone to baseball games all day Sat...and Easter is Sunday....
    but it's going to the next person on Monday.

Thank you again, Robert for the chance!!!!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  19. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Just got it today

I am hoping to get some test and a review tomorrow. First look Beefy. Love the Handle and the sheath Out standing. Hope to get to play with it Tomorrow!!!

20. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Review on the Rancher

Well I feel in Love with the Handle Great grip, Out standing design, But over all was not my cup of tea Sorry :( The Leather work was Great. I would say a nice camp Knife not a EDC. Thanks to Beo-wulf for the pass around. 1 to 10 I would give it a Strong 7.5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Branm008

Branm008 Guide

Blog Posts:
    First let me say, Thank you Robert, awesome of you to allow me to get to know this beautiful blade, I have a feeling I will want one in the future.
    Thank you again brother, anyone else left in this pass around will love this blade.

Alright, I got the Rancher today but by the time I could get to do anything with it, it was already dark.
    So I have some in hand shots and comparison shots next to my Sugar Creek Bushcrafter.

I instantly fell in love with the look and feel of it, just an all around grand blade. It fits my hand in any grip like a glove, amazing fit and finish as well.
    The curly maple is absolutely top notch, I tried to get a good picture of it as well but you just can not do that wood any justice online. I have not sharpened it, wanting to see how the edge does on some wood work first.

Enough rambling, here are some pictures, I will get out and use it for some fire craft soon. Large and crappy-ish pictures, I do apologize.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Beautiful curly maple handle, stunning grain.

[​IMG]
    Comparison next to the Bushcrafter, its larger by a bit, blade and handle wise.

[​IMG]
    Wonderful control even gripping closer to the blade.

[​IMG]
    It fills in the hand something perfect even with my small/average sized hands.

Things I like:
    Rustic looking with the scale and curly maple scales, perfect.
    Tough steel/heat treat and it throws great sparks with the fire steel.
    Wonderful leather work as well, does not fall out at all.
    Best of all, it feels like a tank, I feel as if I could use this blade all day with no hot spots or cramps in the hand.

Action shots tomorrow, will put it to use getting a fire going with some wood I recently scavenged for my outdoor firepit.

-Brandon

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  22. Branm008

Branm008 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Here you gents go, last bit of playing around with the Rancher before I have to regretfully send this baby off. I can tell you though, I am 100% satisfied in every way with this blade, I will be getting myself one.

I sat and did some shavings, about half a hat full but I could get some tiny curls.
    Batoned through enough wood for 3 different fires with enough prep.
    It had no edge damage or anything even after all that work, would not shave hair but it would cut some paper and do shavings with ease.

[​IMG]
    Jungle full of curls.

[​IMG]
    Smallest ones I could get, very easy to control.

[​IMG]
    Bit of flex in the wood, Rancher handled it.

[​IMG]
    Just enough prep for one but I did way more off to the side.

[​IMG]
    And it does bite back, so keep the respectful use in mind!! :4:

[​IMG]
    No damage done at all, may even be a blood stain on there somewhere!!

[​IMG]
    initial flames, lit with Mag bar as the opening to the burn pit was too small, I did not want to damage the rancher trying to strike the fire steel.

In the end I do not want to give this thing up but I can say it blew away any expectations I had about it. Robert you have made one hell of a beast, I can not wait to get my hands on my own model.

Thank you again for letting me get a chance to review this wonderful blade, I had a blast getting to know it and getting to know what you guys thought on it as well.

J pm inbound to ya, will be shipping it out tomorrow or saturday.

-Brandon

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  23. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    very cool stuff, Brandon!

thanks for a good write up - I enjoyed it too but you really made it your own!

24. Branm008

Branm008 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thank you sir, I truly enjoyed this knife and was glad I had the chance to do a meager write up on it.

It was an instant love affair though, perfect fit in the hand and everything, not to mention it shaves hair easier than anything else I own. Again the curly maple rules all, just can not go wrong with that at all.

Thanks again Robert, sad to see this one go but I will have one very soon.

-Brandon

25. Homeslice

Homeslice Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good lookin knife. Are there more reviews still pending?

26. Branm008

Branm008 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sorry folks for the delay. Life caught up to me but I sent it out to the next recipient today.

J, it should get to ya by this Wednesday 16th, check your PM's as well brother.

Thanks again for letting me have some time with the Rancher, I can not praise this blade and the maker Robert enough.

-Brandon

27. J

J Bushwhacker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Awesome man. Thanks. Lookin forward to givin the blade a whirl..

28. J

Blog Posts:
    Got the blade friday, but just opened it up this morning when I came off duty. Ill get out soon with it and post some pics and write up. Thanks for lettin me in on this one Robert...

29. Branm008

Branm008 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Glad it got to ya safe and sound brother, lookin forward to your thoughts on this beauty.

-Brandon

30. J

Blog Posts:
    I havent had any time to get out lately. Been busy with several things, but I will make some time tommorow to work with this sucker so I can get it out to slicer. I did sharpen it all up though...

31. J

Blog Posts:
    Ok....So today I took my oldest fishing and took a walk with the Rancher knife. I did a hatfull of shavings and lit em with a metal match using the spine of the knife, I also messed around with differant notches and grips. Bad thing is my friggin point and shoot took a dump on me. The lens came 1/2 way out, and wont go back in. So I didnt get any pics of the walk. When I got home I took a few more pics with my other camera though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The knife fits my hand very well. The spine gives a nice spot to rest the thumb for some added controll. Also it looks cool. haha

The pics do no justice of the scales. Thats some very attractive wood. The grinds are very even, and its a good convex. I like the forge finish.

Heres a pic with the Falkniven F1 for size referance with a popular blade. A bit bigger, but its not a "big knife" by any means.

[​IMG]

The Rancher is ALOT thinner then I usually use for a knife, so it took some warming up to. I feel its plenty to get the job done though, and the thin stock makes it alot lighter then im used to as well, which is a welcome thing. I didnt even notice it on my belt the whole time I was out fishing.

I wish I hadnt gotten skunked, because I really wanted to clean a fish with it.

The knife has also not left my kitchen since I opened it up. Ive used it for everything from peanut butter sandwiches to cutting up steak and chicken for various meals to hacking up fruit for snacks.

[​IMG]

I think for the price point of these knives, you are getting way way more then you are paying for. They are solid no frills working knives with alot of personality. The sheath is very well done, and the tooling looked great. I like the belt loop on it. Makes for comfy carry. Nice work Robert.

My apologies for the delay posting about this one. Ive been run ragged lately with work, the shop, and family stuff. I have enjoyed getting to play with the blade, and thank you for letting me in on the passaround. Ill be getting it out to Slicer soon(work 48 over weekend) but im gonna try to sneak out with it again before I hand it off to Brandon.

32. Branm008

Branm008 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Right on J, awesome write up.

I agree with everything you said about that beauty of a knife. I fell in love with the handle and the sheath, was an amazing combination that is for sure.

-Brandon

33. Homeslice

Homeslice Guide

Blog Posts:
    I got the chance to get out and put this knife through the paces a little bit today. I will post my pictures up tomorrow night. Any idea to whom I should send it next?

34. Homeslice

Homeslice Guide

Blog Posts:
    Okay here are my thoughts on the knife. I finally got the chance to get outside yesterday. Unfortunately, it was 103 out, so I didn't stay out too long, but I did get the chance to use the knife. I bushwhacked a little ways out through the woods, found a clear spot, and made a splitwood fire.

My first impressions are that I liked the overall style and look of the knife. I like the as-forged finish contrasted with the polished convex bevel. I really like the scales as well, although I usually go with synthetic scales for durability.

[​IMG]

I actually have a similar knife made by Koyote over on Bladeforums. They're not exactly the same or anything, but they do have many of the same characteristics. The overall shape is similar and both are convex ground out of thin stock.

[​IMG]

I like the Koyote blade, but it is BIG and I am much more comfortable with a knife the size of the Rancher. It felt right at home when I used it.

The sheath is very nice as well, with great fit and finish. I really liked the look of it and the color chosen for the stain. I like the idea of the crossdraw sheath, but I would probably order a regular right-handed sheath since that is what I am used to.

[​IMG]

While hiking through to my clearing, I was able to choke down on the handle and use the knife like a small machete, hacking through thorny vines. It worked pretty well for this due to the thin steel.

Trying to show the polished edge I put on it before I took it out:
    [​IMG]

I had to adjust my angle to do feathersticks, but once I got the hang of it, it worked great. It just needed a much more obtuse angle than I typically use.
    [​IMG]

I used my hatchet for a little of the bigger work, then batoned and did all of the smaller work with the Rancher.
    [​IMG]

All in all, I was pretty pleased with it. I really like the shape and the look, the handle was comfortable, and it cut well. The sheath was really the creme on top. Thanks to Robert for letting me use it!