Rattler fun

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by grayman, Sep 25, 2011.

1. grayman

grayman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I posted a brief story about this under highlight of the day. Yesterday I was at a friends house for his son's birthday party, with about 15 kids from ages 2 to 10. They are all playing outside when my daughter runs up to me and says "We were chasing the cat and it's by a big snake". We all walk out of the kitchen and expect to see a garter snake or something, but no, we all hear lot's and lot's of rattling. We send the kids up to the house, and I tell my buddy I'm gonna shoot the snake. So I shoot it twice, once in the head, and again just in case. Nine Millimeter hollow points did a very nice job on this guy. I'll go with Timber rattler as the general consensus. I stand 5'8", and you can see it was nearly as long as me. It was about 5 inches in diameter. My buddy said there had been lot's of rabbits in the area, which explains it's size. Luckily all of the kids stayed far away from it and came to get an adult. I cut the head off and buried it, and opted not to keep the skin, because of the bullet holes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  2. madmax

madmax Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Man that's a big one! One question. It had rattles? Kinda looks like a timber rattler from the pic.

3. Nature Girl

Nature Girl Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Glad no one was hurt.

4. Gryphonblade

Gryphonblade Guide

Blog Posts:
    Saint George, UT, temporarily out of state (and mi
    Nasty critters, rattlers. Glad no-one got hurt (except the snake of course).

5. longrifle54

longrifle54 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Seans fortified compound via carrier pigeon
    Yep, Looks like a timber rattler! Was stationed at Bragg for years, and only saw a couple of rattlesnakes when in the field. Ran into Copperheads quite frequently and they dont have rattles and dont give a warning. I hate snakes with a freakin passion, but some of the nasty ones have nice looking patterns.

6. gwynn1975

gwynn1975 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I was at Bragg for 12 years and never saw a rattler.. (thank goodness) Good job to the kids on getting an adult..

You guys should have skinned it and ate it.. Every kid wonders what snake tastes like

7. Bax 40

Bax 40 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That most definitely is NOT a Copperhead!!

Larry

8. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure Mac would be happy to eat that for you :D Glad no one got hurt.
    Wolf

9. hossthehermit

hossthehermit Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not to be rude, but I was raised to know what kind of critter it was that I was killin', before I did it. Just sayin'.

10. Easy_rider75

Easy_rider75 Bushwhacker

Blog Posts:

The same thought had crossed my mind Wolf :D LMAO

Damn big snake

11. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Rattle snake for sure. Copperheads seldom get over 18 inches, maybe 20".

The problem with a big snake like that is that it _can_ inject enough venom to be dangerous to an adult, and almost certainly will be dangerous to children or pets.

Best to kill it if it is in the area where kids or pets roam.

12. grayman

grayman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I may have the species of snake wrong, but I know for sure it was a rattler, and because of where it was, it had to die. I wanted to eat it, but they wouldn't let me, lol. It sure was a big one though.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2011
  13. madmax

madmax Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Ha ha. Yeah, there's no mistaking a big ones noisemakers. We have little pygmy rattlers down here that can sound like a loud insect. They nail alot of people.

14. OddTheViking

OddTheViking Guide

Blog Posts:
    Maybe they have more food where I lived in high school in Texas, just northwest west of Fort Worth, but we had several pushing 3'. They all seemed pretty laid back. Hell, I actually almost stepped on one, and all it did was slowly slither away.

15. JerseyJohn

JerseyJohn Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'd eat it.

16. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Copperheads and water moccasins are the main poisonous species outside the rattlesnakes. If it has rattles, it is by definition a "Rattlesnake". :)

We have a lot more copperhead bites around here than we do rattler bites, but the copperheads are usually less than a full venom load, and while causing painful injuries, are seldom fatal.

Our family land is between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls, and copperheads and rattlers are both very common there. Never have seen a copperhead over 26" there.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  17. Sides

Sides Guide

Blog Posts:
    That's a good one. nice shot.

18. alex30808

alex30808 Guide

Blog Posts:
    FYI....that IS a timber rattler...I've heard of many redneck stories of copperheaded water rattlers...but never seen one myself...but from my experience of making belts, hat bands and other useless items from timber rattlers...I'd say that's definitely a Timber Rattler and not a copperhead!

19. Dr. Redneck

Dr. Redneck Guide

Blog Posts:
    nice snake

20. mac in mo

mac in mo Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not to be condescending, but how could you possibly mistake that for a Copperhead? Seriously. I don't see a headshot either.

Kevin

21. grayman

grayman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I mistook it because I'm not an expert with snakes, and that's what someone else there told me it was. You don't see the head, because I cut off what was left of it and buried it immediately.

22. grayman

grayman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. I'm not really an expert and just went with what one of the other guys there told me.

23. chukar8

chukar8 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good move on the buried head.

24. longrifle54

longrifle54 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Seans fortified compound via carrier pigeon
    Excellent plan on cutting off and burying the head. And with kids around, dead is good!!
    Copperheads are very nice copper/bronze color, with really cool markings(either while dead or behind glass)
    I have seen 1 about 4ft long, and that was at Hanging rock state park? by Mt Airy(I think, its been 20plus years) and he couldnt have cared less about us. 4 of us walked over him(across a trail) and my wife was just about to step ON him, when the last guy in our party grabbed her and pulled her back. close call, as Im sure he would have been "upset". aside from that most I have seen 18"-2ft ish.

25. 63C30

63C30 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mr. Noshoulders grows big on rabbits! Remember the Drill Sgt. telling us to kick the edge of the firing pits on the range at Ft. Jax to see if noshoulders was down inside, warming up on 'one frosty morn'. This had to be late October, and us Yankees didn't know any better about cold and rattlers! One guy failed to follow instructions and jumped right in so, our DI, Sgt. Rodger D. Sanker reminded him right off, in finest DI style, and he popped right out like a jackinthebox. Even the butterbar range officer got a good laugh!

26. OddTheViking

OddTheViking Guide

Blog Posts:
    GO, most of the ones we saw were 18-24", but we most definitely saw bigger. They seemed to be pretty laid back, more interested in retreat than biting.

Anecdotal "evidence" from people I met who had lived in the area a while was that copperheads were not very likely to bite, while cottonmouths were very aggressive, and grew to gargantuan proportions.

I can only add my own anecdotes. I have literally almost stepped on a copperhead at dusk, and just barely managed to step over it. It just slithered off like it was annoyed. I have been in a kayak on the Trinity above Eagle Mt Lake, and again in Lake Worth, and had puny little cottonmouths actually swim straight towards the boat! I never really decided if they were angry, confused, stupid, or just did it for the laughs :D

After that I started carrying a small pistol with shot shells in the boat.

27. chukar8

chukar8 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I see Rattlers each year several times, most of the time they just try to get away and I usually let them unless it is near a populated area. I just killed another one yesterday that was 36 inches with 13 buttons a pretty common size around here.

28. SDS

SDS Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hoss, I don't have a dog in this fight but he identified it as a rattlesnake....around his kids. Target identified and neutralized. Don't see a problem myself. I know lots of folks prefer to not have snakes killed and I'm fine with that but around my house/kids, pretty easy decision for me.

Sounds like the kids made smart choices too. Glad no one got hurt.

SDS

29. mac in mo

mac in mo Scout

Blog Posts:
    Grayman,
    I went back and see that the head is gone. I still forget sometimes that I now need reading glasses. Did the snake have buttons, the rattles? That I guess is why I don't understand the mis-identification. Regardless, I am glad that the kids and everyone else were unharmed. I sure don't have a problem with taking these guys out around homes, habitation. I am not trying to "rattle" your cage here.

Kevin

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  30. gila_dog

gila_dog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good thing it didn't bite a kid. And good thing the kids were smart enough to come and get you before messing with it. We have a few rattlers here, but not as many as you would expect. Here's one that showed up in my camp one morning. I was leaving anyway so he and I left each other alone. Had he been near my house or in my neighborhood I would have blasted him with a load of CCI .38 Special snake shot. He's a blacktail rattler.

[​IMG]

31. madmax

madmax Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Here's a juvenile pygmy with it's undeveloped rattles in FL. Baby or not, it'll hurt ya.

[​IMG]

32. fire steel 703

fire steel 703 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Never saw a rattler in person while out but have heard them while mountain biking... that makes for a quick water break when that happens. i have seen plenty of copperheads sunning themselves across the trail. Almost ran over one once, thought it was a stick. Baby copperheads have like a greenish to yellowish tip on their tails, so watch for that too.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  33. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Thats some good eatin right there

34. santaman2000

santaman2000 Guide

Blog Posts:
    It's a snake and it ain't a kingsnake. That's enough

35. santaman2000

santaman2000 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Do you mean he had 12 rattles and a button. Usually only the end rattle is referred to as a "button."

36. mac in mo

mac in mo Scout

Blog Posts:
    Grayman,
    I think I might owe you an apology. I went back and read a post here that I missed the first time around. I see that you must have been told it was a "Copperhead" Rattler. I had never heard of that particular misnomer for a snake before. If that is what was going on, then I completely misunderstood your position. I hope you understand that I was not trying to call you out or anything like that.

Kevin

37. chukar8

chukar8 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes then, 12 and a button, Thanks. I have been around rattlers my whole life (Westerns) and didn't realize that,lol, thanks for the correction.

38. grayman

grayman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure about buttons, but the rattle was about 4 to 5 inches before it broke in half.

39. grayman

grayman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    No worries man. I know just know rattler plus kids equals dead rattler. If I was just hiking through the woods, I would have let it be.

40. JAY

JAY Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have heard from many old timers that if you have black snakes around, then you probably don't have rattlers, copperhead, as the blacksnakes keep them away or kill them. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this, or is it an ol wives tale?

41. beanbag

beanbag Guest

Blog Posts:
    Not only is that a Eastern Timber Rattler, I would venture to guess that it is a "yellow phase E.T.R." like this one which I photographed last summer. This snake was also between 5-6' long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

42. santaman2000

santaman2000 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about all black snakes but there is one species of black colored Kingsnake that eats rattlers.

43. Cohutta

Cohutta Guide

Blog Posts:
    When a snake is rattling, you have all of the identifying information you need. At that point it doesn't matter if it is Crotalus horridus or Crotalus adamanteus.

44. SkyPainter

SkyPainter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ===> Agree! Was stationed at Ft Hood back in the day and they hired civilian fire depts. We were billeted across the street, away from other barracks (as we were considered rather crazy and dangerous at the time - maybe we were!) but near the firehouse.

The firemen used to head out into the desert in the North Fort and capture rattlers, then bring 'em back and dry the skins and heads from 'em and make wallets, hatbands, belts, purses, etc to supplement their incomes.

Whenever we saw the snake skins laid out on the front lawn, we KNEW there was some rattlesnake stew being cooked-up, and we always dropped over for some!

DELICIOUS! :D

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  45. alabeekeeper

alabeekeeper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If it rattles or looks poisonous and kids are nearby then act first then think about it later, too big of a chance too take by not taking quick action.

46. chukar8

chukar8 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Awesome pics Beanbag.

47. Cohutta

Cohutta Guide

Blog Posts:
    Crotalus horridus. This was my first (and only) venomous snake handling. This gal was hit by a car in front of me and the back third of her was paralyzed, but the rest was very much alive. My heart rate was up a bit.

Attached Files:

48. Nature Girl

Nature Girl Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You couldn't pay me enough to pick it up. Only 2 things in this world that I'm afraid of.... The good Lord and snakes.

49. Cohutta

Cohutta Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was jacked up after killing a nice 10-pointer.

50. benajah

benajah Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't get it either. I must have missed the spot where someone mistook it. I think the OP just meant timber rattler versus eastern diamondback. Diamondbacks are the ones you usually see that big.
    That thing resembles a copperhead about as much as a horse resembles a cow.