REVIEW: Fall Creek Bushcraft Knife

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by WiskieTango, Dec 22, 2012.

1. WiskieTango

WiskieTango Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Greetings everyone! This will be my first knife review here on BCUSA. I am no literary master by any means, so please bear with me and enjoy the review.

INITIAL CONTACT:
    I have been on a search for a knife maker who could do a custom order to my specifications for quite some time now. I have always had a certain design in my head that was pieced together from several other knife designs. After searching the internet for what seemed like forever, I ran across a knife maker and his work on bladeforums, Shannon from Fall Creek Knives. I sent my email stating what I wanted and the sort of design I was looking for, and honestly I was expecting to be turned down because I had the impression I could have been asking for to much. But to my amazement, Shannon promptly replied back and was ready to get to work on the knife.

DEVELOPMENT STAGE:
    This was the most nerve racking part of the whole process for me. This is the part where all the decisions for the knifes design were to be made, and if I made a bad decision on my part then I would be stuck with a knife I am not happy with. This process took about a month. During this month, Shannon and I corresponded constantly through emails. As soon as I would send an email, I would receive one back in less than 12 hours. He was so polite and understanding with me, and accepted all of my ideas with a go getter attitude. He never once told me he wasn't willing to give something a shot.

BUILDING STAGE:
    Once we decided on what the knife should look like, he went ahead and ordered the pieces to complete the knife. During this stage, waiting for the handle scales and liners were the most time consuming part. Once Shannon received all of the components for the knife he started right away on building the knife. It was a matter of days before he was done with the knife, needless to say I was amazed! During the entire build process he also kept me updated with pictures, everything from making the blade blank, the heat treat, and the glueing of the scales.

KNIFE IN HAND:
    Once I received the tracking number in my email, I could not wait for the knife to arrive. It seemed like I was checking out the delivery status a hundred times a day. Once the knife was on my doorstep, I could barely contain myself. I have never opened a package so quickly and fierce in my entire life. The fit and finish of the knife was phenomenal! I could barely wait to take the knife out and start using it. The first thing I did was get together some fire prep for my backyard fire pit. Once I was used to the blade geometry this knife was a dream! It felt perfect in every aspect.

SPECS:

Blade- 4" Cutting Edge
    OAL- 8 7/8"
    Steel- O1
    Scales- Black Redwood Burl (Stabilized)
    Liners- Maroon G10

PICTURES:
    These pictures are not my own. They were provided by Shannon and taken by his wife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    I am throughly pleased with this knife! It contains every aspect that I have ever wanted in a bushcraft knife. I have tried many knives prior to owning this one and each one before it has left me wanting something more. I am extremely pleased in my dealings with Shannon and will not hesitate in doing business with him ever again. He will continue to have my business for all of my future knives!

2. Hiker Boy

Hiker Boy Scout

Blog Posts:
    That is a beautiful knife!

3. clanmaki

clanmaki Guide

Blog Posts:
    It is a beautiful knife. I was wondering though, the spine looks it doesn't have a 90 degree edge for striking a firesteel. In fact it looks like it has been beveled even. Was that on purpose? if so why?

4. Airth

Airth Scout

Blog Posts:
    Beautiful knife! Now go get some dirt on it :)

5. WiskieTango

Blog Posts:
    It was something he did to add to the flare of the knife. I dont like striking my firesteel on the spine of my knives, I strictly use my SAK for that purpose. I have not had any knife spine strike better than my SAK. But I have tested to see if the knife can strike a fire steel and it can, closer to the tip of the blade that is.

6. WiskieTango

Blog Posts:
    I have gotten plenty of use out of the knife since receiving it! But I always keep my toys clean :3:

7. rezilo

rezilo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Congrats. It looks very nice and functional at the same time. The blade seems broad for a scandi though, makes it difficult to turn in wood for smaller diameter cuts an finer carving. But you could acomplish this at the tip area as well. Just my thougts.

Cheers.

8. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love the fact he used a bobbin for the lanyard hole -- that is an awesome touch.
    rounding the spine is a good thing, too.
    nice design -- looking forward to a chance to handle it one of these days.

9. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    That thing looks awesome.

10. Jimmythejet

Jimmythejet Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Damn, that`s a fine looking tool! I'm with you on the rounded spine. I really hate that all my bushcraft blades are so uncomfortable on the ol' thumb. I could bevel them , sure, but it's easier to whine...

I always have something to strike the rod with, and in an emergency, the spine near the edge will do the trick. Or, you know what, I could use the edge if it was a real emergency. The reality is, when the chips are down, situation critical, and a fire is critical, it's likely cold and wet. Cold and wet hands have and increased probability to lose a bit of gripping power. Last thing I want to do is try to start a fire while leaking in my tinder. Jus sayin'.
    And, while on that topic, the whole method of using a knife to strike the rod bugs me. Hold the knife still and pull up on the rod? Not for me. I like to make a pile of small chaff on bark or what ever, and hold it all on the ground with the tip of the rod, and slowly push the striker, usually that awl on my SAK farmer, toward the pile. Keeps everything in place, and blasts sparks right where I want 'em. Have done it this way for 20 years, and only found out I was doing it "wrong" a couple years ago. Read it on the internet. Just between you and I and the fence post (I'm whispering here...) I still do it wrong. Fire still get lit.

The only thing I would really ever need the sharp spine for would be scraping bark etc, for tinder, but that can be done with the edge at 90 degrees, or with the SAK. I usually use the SAK.

I would really like to see more pics of your outstanding knife in use, in action. Just a stunning knife that stands out from the common bushcrafter. Great acquisition.

Jim

11. redmech

redmech Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Mighty fine looking blade.

12. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    nice review.. that is a great looking knife..

13. Iz

Iz MEMBER of a BANNED Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Good looking knife, man.

14. WiskieTango

Blog Posts:
    I totally agree with you Jim. I usually have multiple tools to strike the ferro rod and it is always the SAK that gets the job done. Your method is also the same method that I use. The great thing about bushcraft is that no way is the right way. As long as everyone gets the same end result then all is right with the world.

And dont worry, there will be some up and coming photos of it getting some good ole dirt time!

15. WiskieTango

Blog Posts:
    I can see what your saying there and that is a pretty good observation. Luckily enough for me I dont do much carving. :3:

16. rlh2

rlh2 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely gorgeous!

17. Jimmythejet

Jimmythejet Tracker

Blog Posts:
    No doubt. These skills are learned and practiced through real world experience, and we all adapt to what works for us, as individuals... I guess if that didn't happen, the forums would be pretty boring. I just have to laugh, because every time I compare how I do things to others, I end up being told I'm doing it wrong. :30::D:D

18. S3ymour

S3ymour Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That is stunning!

19. rainforest

rainforest Guide

Blog Posts:
    Great looking knife WT. Would it be possible for you to point out some of the design features you specified as it sounds like allot of planning went into this knife.

20. GMScooter

GMScooter Guide

Blog Posts:
    What a beaut! Looks like a life time worth of knife to me. You are a lucky dog, sir.

21. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    Very good looking knife. I don't think I have seen liners that thick before. The workman ship looks A+. Your design looks very useful for many tasks.

22. WiskieTango

Blog Posts:
    I would like to start by saying I am sorry for the late reply. Things have been busy for me since the holidays.

As for the design features I specified, they are not many, but what matters most to me in a knife. I asked Shannon to make it a scandi knife, I believe that it was his first scandi knife and was only doing full flat grinds prior to this one. Second, I asked Shannon to remove as much of the choil as possible since I am not a huge fan of them. Most of the changes were when it came to handle scale material. I wanted really thinck liners so that when he shaped the handles it would give a good two toned coloring. Prior to this knife, he was just doing really thin liners. Also I was extreamly pickey when it came to the type of wood I used. We spent quite some time searching the net just for the right scales and we got really lucky with these. Also he original design had the blade wider, and I wanted something a little thinner.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  23. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    lovely design and execution. the redwood burl is what makes it really special.

24. WiskieTango

Blog Posts:
    I searched and searched for a dark, almost black colored, stabilized wood. I love looking at my knife when ever I get the chance.

25. zpstl321

zpstl321 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great knife!

26. Rinaldo

Rinaldo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Wow! that nice is beautiful.

27. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    Beautiful

sent from my dumb phone.

28. coldwaterboys

coldwaterboys Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    That is probably the most beautiful knives I've ever laid eyes on. I would like to order one. Do you have a contact number and a model name established?

29. WiskieTango

Blog Posts:
    Pm me for details and I van help you out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

30. rolandsilvajr

rolandsilvajr Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Really beautiful. I would be interested in info also. Thanks for sharing.

31. coldwaterboys

coldwaterboys Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
  32. jonskiles

jonskiles Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Check out Fall Creek Knives

Awesome looking knife.

I have been working with Shannon for the past month on a bushcraft knife. It should be in the mail very soon -- cannot wait to get it in my hands. Your description of how amazing he is to work with is spot on. The level of communication is better than anything I could have expected. I've gotten at least 5 emails with multiple photographs of the stages of the knife build. He tells you exactly what he is doing and why. I don't think I have waited more than 12 hours for a response to any email I sent him. Before starting the build we exchanged a lot of emails about handle options. He linked me up with his supplier of wood for the scales to see all the various wood options he could use. Once I picked a type of wood Shannon sent me pictures of about 20 different matched scales I could pick from. That is just one example of how helpful and responsive he has been. If anyone is looking for a great knife building experience you should give Shannon a call at Fall Creek Knives. Check out the photographs on his facebook page. His wife is a professional photographer and he has posted some amazing pics. I will be posting pictures of my new knife VERY soon!

33. rolandsilvajr

rolandsilvajr Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Could you post the fb page could not find that. Thanks

34. jonskiles

jonskiles Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
  35. SiliconTi

SiliconTi Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Holy moly, that is very nice! Congrats.

36. Steven Long

Steven Long Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    That knife was very well executed! Love the design, colors and... Pretty much everything about it.

Thanks for sharing!

37. mikejd

mikejd Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have to say that your knife will not be 1 of a kind for long. Everybody wants one. Your selections were outstanding. Now we all wait patiently for the field evaluations.

38. Dcycleman

Dcycleman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sweet blade