Review of "Off Grid" magazine

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by BlakeW5, Jul 16, 2013.

1. BlakeW5

BlakeW5 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Not sure if anyone else has seen this, but prepping, survival, etc. now has it's own magazine. It's called "Off Grid" and it's published by the makers of the "Recoil" gun mag. Basically making this thread to see who's seen this magazine and what the general consensus is.

My review:

First off,
    Price Retail price for the mag is $8.99. Seemed a bit steep to me, but after reading "Recoil" its parent mag and really enjoying its style figured I'd give it a go. Not sure as to how often they tend to publish it given its new nature, but the first mag is listed to display until 9/17/13. Looks like it could be a seasonal publication.

Quality Like it's parent magazine Recoil, I LOVE the feel of this magazine. Most gun/outdoor/etc. mags are printed on cheap feeling, thin paper. This has a thick, textured cover and filled with high-quality photos. Helps explain some of the cost. The magazine just feels good in the hand.

Content The debut mag states plainly in the intro that it intends to start basic and go more in-depth on subjects as its reader base becomes more familiar with prepping concepts. Content of the first issue include: First-aid kits, Blow-out kits (first aid kits for gunshots, major trauma, etc.), water purification, multitool reviews, MRE/long-term foods taste-tests, prepping for power loss, selecting a BOB bag with reviews, ham radios, basic firearm selection, etc. The articles start basic, I'll admit, so I'm waiting to see which direction they take it as they step up in complexity. Overall, I good intro into prepping for someone new to the topic. It will seem simple to most preppers, but I picked up a few useless tips from it. For instance, I never actually though about rigging up a small water distillation set-up for camping/hiking/travel.

Depth/amount Was a touch disappointed the debut issue was only 130 pages, especially for $9. With that said, while I do believe it was overpriced, I'm interested to see what direction the mag will go in and will definitely follow it. It takes on more of an urban approach to prepping, and while a rural guy myself, I found I picked up a few good pointers and had an enjoyable read to boot. My favorite part is seeing pics and reviews of new gear I may not have otherwise noticed. Being a bit of a gear #####/hoarder it naturally appealed to me lol

2. POPEx4

POPEx4 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I too am a reader of Recoil, and was curious. I liked the mag, I thought they did a good job of 'glancing' off some good topics without much depth, and had some very good info. Like recoil, they tend to lean towards the more expensive side of doing things, not much on the cost effective approach, but its early. I'll keep my eye out for a second round.

KP

3. Magog

Magog Scout

Blog Posts:
    me and the Mrs were shopping last night and I picked this issue up. i was going to read it this weekend.

4. TheyCallMe Ike

TheyCallMe Ike Scout

Blog Posts:
    It seems like a great read, but I just can't justify $9 for a magazine when everything is online. Maybe if there's a subscription special I'll try it out.

5. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    sounds like an interesting mag, even though i am not much of a gun guy, i like Recoil magazine.. i think it's very well done and put together.. I will look around and see if i can find a copy of this one..

6. FreedomFox

FreedomFox Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    newsidha59B
    Thank you for posting this review. I will have to check it out. I also wanted to add that it is interesting that they titled it "Off Grid". While Off Grid can refer to prepping and survivalism it does not always. I have many many friends that view living off grid about sustainability and in some cases spirituality. They are not survivalists in any sense, though their way life may help them survive. Eco friendly off grid living is one thing. Living "Off Grid" from a survival stand point is another. My curiosity is peaked. Can't wait to check it out. Perhaps the price is so high because more and more magazines are going on line? so print magazines are going up in price.

7. BlakeW5

BlakeW5 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Isn't that the truth! They definitely go about it an expensive way. While I want to pretend I don't like it secretly I do lol, I'm always on the hunt for cool new gadgets and gear.

Magog, it's definitely an entertaining read. I'm a big reader anyway, but when I got home I read the entire thing cover to cover in one sitting.

But yeah, the internet is definitely putting the squeeze on printed publications. Add to that increased production costs, increased price for transport, etc, and we arrive at $8-10 dollar magazines. While I don't like paying the price, at the end of the day at least I can have something I can hold. My big reluctance to ebooks, ezines, etc. is that I'm still paying money, albeit a small discount, for a file that took little to no work to make, then I don't even physically have something. Ebooks are handy, but I love the feel of paper.

The mag is actually fairly high quality too (adding to the expense), which honestly is a good thing. If you're trying to promote prepping, something most common people find strange, printing it on cheap paper honestly just casts the subject in a poor light, the nicer you dress something up the better it's received....gives it more class. Take Backwoodsman for instance, great mag, but it just looks and feels cheap, and that quality reflects on the hobby/lifestyle. Let's put it this way, you'll never find a copy of Robb Report printed on newsprint (it's a magazine that basically caters to rich folk for anyone unfamiliar)

8. azratt

azratt Scout

Blog Posts:
    Very good lay out...the texture of the paper feels " Outdoor Gritty "..great mag for people with a large disposable income...lol

9. Wewillsurvive

Wewillsurvive Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bought it haven't read it yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

10. OhCanada

OhCanada Scout

Blog Posts:
    I get Backwoodsman, Backwoods Home, among others. I love Backwoodsman for the nolstalga but do find Backwoods Home a bit pricey (in Canada) but all my magazines are either bi-monthly or quarterly so I justify the cost by looking at it on a per month basis which cuts the cost down to half or third per month.

I'll see if I can find Off Grid here and check it out.

11. erik the red

erik the red Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Same here. I thoroughly enjoy Backwoodsman and Backwoods Home. Seems like an eternity between issues when I sit down and devour them the day they arrive :11: :1:

12. Skotelawe

Skotelawe Guide

Blog Posts:
    The need to pay the graphic designers, editors, the marketing department and the author for their work doesn't magically disappear when you distribute work electronically rather than via print. Distributors like Amazon, Barnes & Noble or Apple also charge a pretty hefty overhead to retail your product.

The idea that epublishing requires 'little or not work' is a myth. Yes it's a bit cheaper than print, but the difference is far less than what most people believe.

That being said I still prefer a hard copy.

13. jkfisher84

jkfisher84 Scout

Blog Posts:
    whoo hoo finally found one at a wally mart. So far i like it

14. Oni

Oni Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bought a few issues.

Gave one to my Sister's boyfriend. Nice guy that with some prodding by me is just getting into getting prepared for different likely scenarios in our area. Thought it was a great primer for someone just getting into prepping and give them some things to think about. Told him since my Sister spends so much time with him, he should learn to take care of her in an emergency. He agreed.

Thought there were some decent articles in there to prompt later conversations. So although I'm far from an expert, hope to sort of mentor him about some of the tools, supplies and skills he should try and aquire. Who knows, maybe he will end up here someday to learn some bushcraft stuff.

15. Thunderwood

Thunderwood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a copy at my local convenient store ($8.99+tax.) The magazine is put together really well as far as the pages and cover goes. Definitely a good sturdy book like material. Great for a coffee table book. As far as the content goes, this first one is a little basic but the editor said that it would be as it is the first issue. Still it had good content and (like recoil) lots of nice pictures. The gear is all high end for the most part (again like recoil.) It did have a nice article on water purification. There was a "distilling" like method that I had never seen. Enjoyed the article on BOB choice. I give it a 4 out of 5. Ill pick up the next issue to see where it goes from here.

16. JeeperJohn

JeeperJohn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Is this in apple store yet? Recoil is. Does anyone have any old bushcraft or backwoods magazines they don't need? If yes, then drop them off at your local VA, shelter or maybe even scout troop where they can be put to good use.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  17. Orbital-Burn

Orbital-Burn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The guys from the magazine say it'll be a semi-annual. Expect the next this winter.