Savage .22/.410 combo gun

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Sharpdogs, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have an opportunity to purchase a Savage Combination gun in .22/410. They are asking $350. From the pictures it looks to be in good shape. Is this a good price? Does anyone have one of these firearms and are they a good guns? They do not seem to be very common and may have some collectors value, although I will be taking it squirrel hunting if I purchase it.

2. ksquared

ksquared Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I think that's reasonable. I'll usually check the gun auction sites to get an idea of what a given used firearm is going for. But you'll have hard time finding a better, more versatile squirrel gun than that! Good luck and post pics when you get it.
    -kk

3. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'd buy it just as a hunting gun....Savage makes superb firearms and you can have that much or close to that much out in just a good bolt action .22 rifle. Of course, I kinda gotta thing for the .22/410, too...So I may be biased...

4. karlhungusjr

karlhungusjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Some versions of the model 24 had a kind of plastic stock and not an actual wooden stock. I would double check that since it would be a deal breaker for me. But 350 for a model 24 in good condition is a great price IMO. The perfect "bushcrafty" gun and a great game getter.

5. eebae015

eebae015 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My father had one and he referred to it as his "meat gun". It was the only gun he used for squirrel hunting. He used it religiously for rabbit hunting; took seven pheasant in one season. My uncle (father's brother) had one also. I have been looking for one myself. My brother got my father's gun when my father passed away. If you get the gun, you will never be sorry that you did, but that's just my opinion.

6. makobytes

makobytes Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great price! Grab it. I recently purchased the same gun, in .22/ 20 gauge, and paid $410plus shipping and transfer fee. After checking on gunbroker.com for some time, it was the best deal I could find. So, $350 is a great price, if the gun is in good shape. Good luck, and happy hunting.

7. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Just picked up a M24c (short campers model, w/ ammo storage in the wood stock) for $350 at a show last Sunday..... .22 over 20 ga.

They are getting hard to find, so if I see one in good shape and at a good price i'll most likely buy it.
    My advice is "go for it"

8. GKiT

GKiT Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    I have the 22/20 gauge 24c camper model and a 24V in 223/20 gauge. They are neat guns. The rifles shoot pretty well. The shotgun barrel will shoot low on most of these combos. If you practice with it you will learn to deal with that. One that shoots both barrels to the same point of aim are rare in these guns but if you sight in for the rifle barrel and learn how the shotgun shoots, they are ok. Both of mine only require a bit of vertical compensation without any windage adjustment.

That sounds like a good price as these guns have gone way up in price over the last few years. Most in good condition are running in the $400-$500 range, a bit more for the centerfire combos. I expect they may continue to go up like the M6 combo has. The guns with the barrel selector on the hammer are preferable to the side mounted selector which I have heard is prone to breaking.

The iron sights are a little rough but usable. Many users have had a Williams 5D peep sight mounted. I may do this to my 22/20 combo in the future.

The early 22/410 combos had both barrels attached to each other all the way down the length and are supposed to be more accurate that the later models with barrels only held by the barrel band but that is just what I have read.

Another issue is that as the barrels heat up you may get some change in impact or vertical stringing that occurs as one barrel heats up and is pulled off by the cooler barrel.
    Not as much of a problem with the 22 as with centerfire chamberings. Not a problem for hunting where you would only be shooting a few times and having the barrels cool between shots.

Buy it and see how you like it. You would have no problem reselling it if it is not to your taste.

My choice of the best model if you can only have one is the 24C camper. It is a very handy size with 20" vs 24" barrels and a nice straight English stock that has ammo storage in it. I believe the 20 gauge is more versatile than the 410 but the 22/410 combo is still good.

Some parts are still available for these guns from Numrich and other sources if needed.

9. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The price is good if it is in good condition. Get it, you won't regret it.

10. ramius

ramius Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have on in 22/410, and I love it. I call it my bunny gun. Very versatile, excellent meat-getter. The only bad thing I can say is that the trigger is a little heavy (but not awful) when using the 22 barrel. It's a great gun and I recommend it.

11. reptilian mind

reptilian mind Tracker

Blog Posts:
  12. GKiT

GKiT Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    What a shame....They could not have made an uglier, plastic pile of junk than the 42 IMO. The new 42 is to the old 24 what the FJ Cruiser is to the FJ40 Land Cruiser. Toyota fans will know what I mean.....

I will not go so far as to say bunnies and squirrels deserve better than that but I am close to saying that.

I will take metal and wood over plastic any day.

The Savage 24's have an ugliness to them too but there is a simple, utilitarian beauty to the ugliness. It is easy to learn to love them. Perhaps someone will say that about the 42 one day but I can't picture it.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  13. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    I agree, the price sounds like it's in the ballpark. Seems prices have been going up on these. I got my .22mag/20ga about two years ago and paid around $350 for it. It's a fairly old one - a pre-serial number gun. Seemed high at the time but doesn't anymore. Depends somewhat on age and condition. But if it's in good shape, I'd say it's worth grabbing.

14. whiteoak

whiteoak Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would pay twice the price of the new model for the older gun. I hate ugly guns.. JMHO

If your are looking at one of these think about the 20g version. In my experience the 20 is just so much more versitle than the 410 and ammo is the same price or less for the 20g.
    :27: don't tell the .410 guys this, they are members of a cult, that worships the .410 , Its not like its a 300H&H "THE GREATEST THING SINCE OXYGEN" :54:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  15. ramius

ramius Tracker

Blog Posts:
    WHAT! You dare to disparage the 410!!!!! Your apostasy must be dealt with immediately! Nobody expects the small gauge inquisition!

The only thing I would change about my model 24 is the sights, because my eyes don't work as well as they used to.

16. WoodsJack

WoodsJack Guide

Blog Posts:
  17. go2ndamend

go2ndamend Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good price for a good gun. I have a few and have never regretted any of them. Fairly utilitarian, but then again, so am I. You will only regret it if you don't buy it.

18. Pointer

Pointer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I happen to own a 22/410 with a wooded stock as well as a 20 ga/30-30 which sports a black plastic stock. I love both of these weapons as they perform very well and I have never had any problems with them.

The 22/410 is a great firearm for taking small game and the 20 ga/30-30 is one of my companions when I walk around my woods. I feel comfortable that it is enough gun to handle any black bears I may encounter.

19. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Toyota fan here and the FJ Cruiser is much better on and off-road. Ugly maybe, but a much better vehicle.

20. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    What caliber it that?

21. wildwoodsmn

wildwoodsmn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'd say that's a fair price. I've been looking for awhile for one of them. They are getting extremely rare.

22. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    .505 Gibbs

23. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    LOL.....Cool....

24. Edz

Edz Scout

Blog Posts:
    Get it! I used to have 2 of them, still have one and it is the ULTIMATE squirrel gun! Especially if you live in areas where you'd be afraid of .22's falling down into populated areas.

edz

25. fatcat55

fatcat55 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I paid $50 for one.......about 45 years ago!

My first gun and i could kick myself for ever trading it off!

Sounds like a good price. Enjoy!

26. Flintlock

Flintlock Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Several years ago, Springfield Amory announced the release of a 22/410 that was much on the same lines as a Marble Gamegetter. I made an order and deposit but for reasons unknown, the production run was cancelled and the gun never happened. I still want one. Marble has announced a remanufacture of their original 22/410 GameGetter...but at $2,000 I dont think its going to fly.

Buy the Savage.

27. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Scout

Blog Posts:
    Guys I appreciate all the information. Unfortunately I have to do my "patriotic duty" and pay the IRS a wopping bill for 2011 and this quarter. I feel poorer but the IRS says I am richer. Therefore this purchase is not going to happen.

28. Malamute

Malamute Guide

Blog Posts:

I had the trigger worked on on my 24C. Mine was truly horrible, but the gunsmith was able to give it a very nice letoff. It's a joy to shoot now. I'm surprised how many folks get rid of guns because of something that's simple to correct, but I've heard of it many times.

I agree, tho I found one of the old Savage "Four-tenner" insert tubes, so I can also shoot 410's in the 20 ga barrel. It throws a pretty decent pattern.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  29. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I found one of the .410 savage conversion tube as well........Not a big fan of the .410, but I seem to accumulate them.....and was given a shopping bag full of shells for free.

30. scgunslinger

scgunslinger Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Its a deer getter as well

Wife just got a nice deer this past season with the 24 Savage, the 3" buckshot will knock em down withen 50yds with no problem. The 3" slugs are even better out to 75yds, shoots very well in mine. 22LR over 410ga and now the CCI stinger rounds are very close to the 22mag which makes this a good cyote buster as well out to 100 yds

31. karlhungusjr

karlhungusjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    What is a ".410 savage conversion tube"?

32. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    A conversion tube allows you to shoot different calibers or different gauges, in different guns.
    In this case I have an adaptor the allows you to shoot .410 shells in a 20 ga....and this one happens to be made by Savage.

Other manufacturers do make them as well.

[​IMG]

33. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    I found mine on gunbroker

[​IMG]

34. 12G Slug

12G Slug Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    i own the model 24...22/410

i like it alot, great woods walking /small game gun.

i was lucky enough to have my grandpa give it to me after it sat in his basement for 40+ years.

he paid 10$ for it lol

35. peacekeeper83

peacekeeper83 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I never noticed these guns till I watched that Discovery show "Out Of The Wild:Alaska" they had one, and it got them a few meals.....when they had to leave a gun behind...they kept that 22/410.... its got me interested in them now....time to troll the pawn shops...see what I can find...LOL

36. darodalaf

darodalaf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Middle Rio Grande Valley, NM / Lower Hudson Valley
    I just watched that program over the last couple days. Since most of their game was squirrel and ptarmigan, it came in really handy and it really caught my interest.

37. JasonB

JasonB Scout

Blog Posts:
    My grandfather won a Savage 22/410 from a punch card game. When I was ten my dad handed it to me, when my daughter gets to be ten it will be hers. I've killed every sort of small game and birds with it in the nearly 30 years I've had it, and if I had to walk away only one gun out of my collection it would be the Savage.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  38. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Now that's the first time I heard the "punch card" thing for a long time....
    I still have the Crescent Arms 12 ga SS my father and uncle won on a punch card.......that gun has shot about anything that can be shot in this part of the country...
    Thanks for the memory

39. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Scout

Blog Posts:
    This was the first "firearm" I got to shoot. My dad still has it, said he would give to me since the firing pins and stock are broken and rusty. He doesn't think it's worth it to fix, but with the price of guns going up, I think it might turn out better than buying a new one. Plus I get to preserve all the memories.

40. demonslaer

demonslaer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had 4 of them I got back in 1978 when I was 18 my brother stole them for drug money along with my model 94 win.

41. JasonB

JasonB Scout

Blog Posts:
    Kind of cool what you could win for a few coins.