Savage Rascal .22 Youth Rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by justin_baker, Mar 6, 2013.

1. justin_baker

justin_baker Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone here used it? I am looking for a very light pack rifle, and at 2.6 lbs the weight is just right. How awkward is it to shoot for an adult? Is it accurate and reliable?

2. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've not messed with the Savage but bought my youngest a Davey Crickett that is the same size. It is a great little rifle. I really like shooting it. I'm 6' or so and 235lbs and can shoulder it just fine. It's small but not uncomfortable.

3. Blackpatch

Blackpatch Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Bought my son one for Christmas, it is reliable and accurate but LOP will be an issue for an adult, think of it like shooting a kid's BB gun. Still fun though.

4. MightyTygart

MightyTygart Scout

Blog Posts:
    My stepdaughter has the savage cub. While it shoots nice the length of pull is an issue. It's not comfortable and looking through the peep sights is awkward compared to a full size rifle. Have you thought about buying an adult gun and having the barrel cut down to legally minimum length?

5. Looker

Looker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have looked at youth rifles several times with an eye toward pack rifles. The one that I like best is the Thompson/Center Hot Shot: http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/youth_hot_shot.php
    Naturally it has a short length of pull because it's a youth rifle, but I haven't had any trouble getting my eye in line with the peep sight. According to the specs, it weighs 3lbs. I can tell you the it feels like a feather in your hands.

Looker

6. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    The savage rascal kicks a lot of butt, awesome rifle. FYI I also have a cricket in 22 mag and 17 hmr. The rascals action and barrel profile are heavier then the cricket, but the factory stock weighs about half of the crickets...