Scary Sharp Method of Knife Sharpening

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Canoecountry, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Canoecountry

Canoecountry Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know the value of sharp tools and I need a low cost scandi grind sharpening system.

I have been looking at the "Scary Sharp" method of taking float glass or marble tile and adhering wet/dry sandpaper in various grits to it for sharpening. I know this is very popular for woodworking tools and I have to assume the cost is rather low compared to Japanese Wet stones and the like.

Does anyone have any experience with this method or can you offer other ideas for a low cost sharpening system?

Thanks,
    CC

2. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've used that method for chisels and knives.
    Works quite well.
    Jack

3. Rook

Rook Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I use it in the shop. I have a trued, thick steel plate and clamp grits in succession as needed. For scandis, other than using a waterstone I don't think it can be beat personally. YMMV

4. Spork

Spork Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've used that method for years, but I don't consider it low cost except maybe to start up. If I were to add up the cost of the sleeves of different grades of wet-dry paper I've gone through all these years...it would have probably got me several sets of stones :rolleyes:

Even so, it is very effective and I still use it.

5. stoneage bushcraft

stoneage bushcraft Tracker

Blog Posts:
  6. Capt'n

Capt'n Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been using scary sharp for several years now ....

To start I picked up a piece of marble floor tile and some sandpaper in 120, 180, and 220 grits ... I added 400, 600, and 1500 a little later on.

I use a spray adhesive to attach pieces of the paper to the marble tile ... a different grit on all 4 sides, then I just work my way around the tile.

Most of the time I don't need to go much above 220 for my normal day to day knives ..... but the polish you get from 1500 is great!

A couple of pieces of an old thick leather belt for stropping and your in business.

7. reillyworks

reillyworks Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use Scary Sharp on all my woodworking tools and kitchen knifes. Capt'n is right in picking up a marble tile, get one at Depot for a $1 most times, but for wet dry paper go to your Auto Parts store. They've got excellent quality paper at cheap prices in grits from 150 to 2500 usually. All my edges are shaving sharp after a few swipes with the 600 paper. It's the 800 to 1500 that make it Scary Sharp.

8. Capt'n

Capt'n Scout

Blog Posts:
    Another benefit is that it's a lot easier to carry a few sheets of wet dry paper in your bush bag than a number of stones .....