schrade extreme survival knife schf9

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Martin Trj, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Martin Trj

Martin Trj Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I know, there's two posts about it but I wanted to hear more opinions about it, I know it's not perfect and it might not be a "bushcraft" knife but it looks like a beast! I really have that "itch" to buy it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfGkOzbAgoA
    Ok, let me hear it.
    Thanks

2. zpstl321

zpstl321 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Only one way to find out for sure, buy it.

It would be hard to go wrong for $40 quoted on one of the videos I seen. A Becker would be your other option, but it will run you twice that amount. Heck if a Mora will stand up to what people put them through it's hard to believe this blade wouldn't provide some fun times.

3. Pablo

Pablo Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    It looks solid, but for me it's way too big. It might work ok for batoning or heavy work, but in survival, a knife gets used for things like making trap triggers and carving implements of all sorts. This blade is too wide and long for my tastes: it'd be really awkward to carve with. I think that's one reason why Moras are so popular: They're solidly in that "goldilocks zone".. not too big, not too small... just right.

4. Martin Trj

Blog Posts:
    I hear you on the "too big" part, I gotta cold steel bushman and I don't use it much because the blade is a bit too long, still tho, there's something about this knife that I find really attractive...who knows...maybe the price. I don't really baton or chop with knives, I prefer to carry a hatchet but it is nice in case you use it for that.
    Yep, maybe weird for carving but I'm sure we all carry more than one knife, I think I will give it a go. Can't go wrong with that price...that is, of course, if I get to find one. Seems to be out of stock everywhere.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  5. 6shooter

6shooter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's a wicked blade for the price. The recurve of the blade shortens it height wise towards the choil, and when using the choil for finer carving it works surprisingly well. The recurve also gives it a good amount of belly, and solid forward weight for chopping. It's not a hatchet, and it's not a mora, but it's a good 'one knife' if that's your kinda thing.

Mistwalker, a member here and other forums, designed it. He's a knowledgeable guy who knows his way around a knife.

6. xj35s

xj35s Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Anywhere to buy this thing? amazon has been out of stock for a looong time.

7. Martin Trj

Blog Posts:
    I know! I was ready to get me one but I can't find it.

8. eurrider

eurrider Scout

Blog Posts:
  9. Lamewolf

Lamewolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Bought it, didn't like it - curvy blade was too hard to sharpen and it really needed sharpened out of the box. Gave it away and bought an Ontario SP50 and WOW ! Really like the SP50 much better and its made in the USA !

10. Martin Trj

Blog Posts:
    Well, perfect or not...I really like this knife and it's out of stock everywhere. If anybody wants to sell theirs please shoot me an email.
    Thanks

11. xj35s

Blog Posts:

I like the price but in the description it says this....What are we ordering again??? click order and this is what it goes to. Thank you for the try though.

http://www.casa.com/p/honeywell-rth...c_C&utm_term=ZV-074&utm_campaign=Pricegrabber

Description: One-piece Honeywell digital non-programmable thermostat features advanced temperature monitoring to minimize temperature swings ensuring your complete comfort. The RTH5100B has a green backlight and easy soft touch key operation. This thermostat also keeps the temperature settings in case of a power outage. Simple peace of mind and total home comfort. Works on all central heating and cooling systems including heat ... Read more

12. Martin Trj

Blog Posts:
    Might be 'cause they're out of stock. What a pain, I do want one of these and nobody sells them. I'm starting to fear this knife has been discontinued.

13. xj35s

Blog Posts:
  14. Martin Trj

Blog Posts:
  15. foxfire

foxfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  16. Two Bears

Two Bears Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I carry big and small knives to make things with, small knives for the small things and a big knife for the heavy work. I think this knife is perfect and could carve with it if I had to.

17. Martin Trj

Blog Posts:

I couldn't agree more with you.

I checked the store and with shipping and all the total is $ 64. I was hoping to spend a little less but if I can't find it I will surely buy it from there, thanks. As far as sharpening, it might not be easy but it's not impossible with one of those sharpening rods IMHO.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  18. foxfire

foxfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Only place that I have seen it still. Or you could PM Outrider ( Brian ) and ask him if he still has some or can get you one possibly.

19. Martin Trj

Blog Posts:
    I did but haven't heard from him.

20. itsken78

itsken78 Guide

Blog Posts:
    knifecenter.com has it as "Delayed by Manufacturer" so who knows about finding it any place else....

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  21. Martin Trj

Blog Posts:
    Yep, checked everywhere but I will get it from a member here, whisper creek.
    I will post when I get it.

22. xj35s

Blog Posts:
    That makes two of us!!!

23. Martin Trj

Blog Posts:
    I also got an email back from "Schrade" and they confirmed they'll make another batch of the knife. I can't wait!!!

24. xj35s

Blog Posts:
    I never canceled my Amazon order. I thought they would email it was available then let me decide to keep the order or cancel. Nope. I got a notice Alright. It will arrive between the 25th and 28th. Sorry whisper creek.

I bought the Gerber from Lane4's trade blanket. So I guess I'll have two new knives this week.

25. xj35s

Blog Posts:
    I received it today. Not shaving sharp but it has a good clean edge to the tip. So Wicked heavy and a nice handle grip. Fits my messed up hand well.

There is a good size pouch on the sheath and a bunch of ways it can be carried. I need to figure all that out.

26. PaulK

PaulK Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I have one and I use the sheath pouch to carry a folding Swiss Army type knife for finer work. The Shrade is a beast and handles all the heavy work.

27. Martin Trj

Blog Posts:
    Pix please!

I found one (nib) and the owner was willing to trade so I will get mine next week. I can't wait!

28. Bockster13

Bockster13 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
  29. xj35s

Blog Posts:
    Yup. I posted that in #11. Kind of weird.

Here you go. I love the little pouch is removable. Nice little psk potential. Not shaving sharp but will slice paper out of the box. Does good for a thick blade.
    IMG_20130125_181423.jpg
    IMG_20130125_181325.jpg
    IMG_20130125_181502.jpg
    IMG_20130125_181602.jpg

30. Martin Trj

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking chunk of steel. I'll post when I get mine.
    Thanks

31. waterman308

waterman308 Guide

Blog Posts:
    i bought the #3 knife for my son for Christmas. my understanding is that the 9 is SS and the 3 is 1095 carbon (I think that's right). Heavy knife, well balanced. the recessed 'belly' makes it feel like it would be a good chopper. I concur with an earlier post about the curvature of the 'belly' being difficult to sharpen. its just curved enough that it will stand off the flat surface of a stone.

It was sharp but not shaving sharp. the choil integrated into the blade makes it very controlable for fine work. The handle is large and comfortable, full tang. the scales are some kind of plasticised rubber which are held on with hex head screws (4).

no problem with batoning with this thing. the sheath material is a little cheap, but design is nice. The snap closure on our handle retaining strap did not line up (it is adjustible with velcro) so I had to remove the snap and install a new snap in the right place.

The small exterior pocket is removable and is held on with velcro and a snap buckle. Enough room for a small stone and firesteel..

I paid about 43.00 including shipping from knifeworks.com. all other sites were out of stock.. KW was no problem. first time I ordered from them. neat site.

I took the scales off and traced the outline of the 1/4" thick blade. I am making a few adjustements to the shape - more of a bird beak looking pomel and I will probably remove the 'belly' and keep it straight, or very subtle belly.

I hope to try and make myself one in the next few months. Or, for $40 I might just go a head any buy one :)

all in all a very nice knife for the price. definately a keeper. And I don't think it would be an issue for bushcrafting in terms of being too big. it is heavy, but comfortable and easy to manipulate. they did a good job, china or not.

32. xj35s

Blog Posts:
    The 9 is 1095 high carbon.

http://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCHF9-Extreme-Survival-Carbon/dp/B0033H7VI6/ref=pd_cp_hi_0
    The 3 is stainless steel.

http://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCHF3N-Extreme-Survival-Fixed/dp/B0035ELWS2/ref=pd_cp_hi_3

I do like stainless steel knives if it's good quality. My S.A.K. is awesome. This is as sharp as it will ever be, I believe, so I'll only need to hone it for life and I can do that with a ceramic rod I bought from the outfitter store here or a diamond pocket rod. It wouldn't take much to regrind the bevel to flatten this blade But I like the curvature.

These are manufactured in Taiwan. The box and sheath are made in china. It's funny the papers that came with the knife are instruction on care and use of a pocket folder. LOL!! That's what Schrade is best known for anyway.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  33. waterman308

waterman308 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ah, my bad. I should have looked it up rather than quote from memory. I got the non SS version. still a nice knife for the price.

34. Lamewolf

Lamewolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Had one, didn't like it - gave it away after owning it one month. The curvy blade had to steep of an angle and was hard to sharpen, and the handle just felt odd in my hand. Only thing I dis like was the removeable pouch on the sheath - I kept it when I gave the knife away and put it on another sheath to keep my fire kit in. There are much better knives out there, I like the Ontario Spec Plus SP42 much better. The SP42 has a much better blade shape, better steel, and comes much sharper !

35. Martin Trj

Blog Posts:
    no doubt there's better knives out there, I look at the bk2 and I just couldn't spend the money on it, too thick and to short (for my taste) but I'm sure it's a heck of a knife, that's why there's many options for different kinds of taste. There's just something about the schf9 I really like and there's no convincing me otherwise. It's not impossible to sharpen if you get a sharpening rod.

I'm sure the person you gave the knife to is enjoying it greatly.

36. Martin Trj

Blog Posts:
    Well it's here:

First thing I had to do was to test its chopping capabilities, there was an old pallet and...well a few hits later
    [​IMG]

I love this chunk o' steel! Mine is sharp and it great condition, I traded it with Boss 1 from another forum (thanks boss1).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not so crazy about the sheath but it is functional, I'm thinking about getting a kydex sheath. We"ll see.

37. xj35s

Blog Posts:
    I put mine to good use tonight. I had to split down a bunch of wood for my fire place. It did great of course. Showing some signs of wear but I was brutal with it. Batoning through maple and cherry. I had one piece that blew apart and the knife made contact with the stone. It has a spot you could feel with your finger nail but barely with your finger. I touched it up a little on the ceramic rod. never know it happened! Then I moved to a chunk of log, DUH!

IMG_20130201_175625_zps96ab31a9.jpg

This is the pile I made.

IMG_20130201_175521_zpsda51c913.jpg

It all started out this size. The Bright top center piece is from the other pile.

IMG_20130201_175554_zpsf47b6d48.jpg

38. Martin Trj

Blog Posts:
    Yup, this knife is a mean piece of steel, you can always get rid of the coating and put a patina on it. That's what I'm doing later on.

There's a guy at my local knife store that does kydex sheaths and I'm treating mine to a new one so I will post when I get it.

Thanks for sharing!

39. ewtoutdoors

ewtoutdoors Guide

Blog Posts:
    Finally bought one, $40 with free shipping. So far like it alot but time will tell. The sheath could be better, as was stated before it is functional.

40. danofiremano_308

danofiremano_308 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Schf9

I've had mine for over a year and like it for the jobs I would refuse to put my Esee-5 through like digging corn stalks out of rocky bean field soil before harvest. I did notice 2 small chips in the blade after I used it as a farm implement! *LoL* But I really don't think it's that hard to keep sharp. Though I prefer to stone sharpen, I have learned the art of using a fine tooth file to sharpen the tools we use for wildland firefighting. When you dig a line in soil it really chips & dulls up a tool with a quickness! I keep a small triangle and a rat-tail, fine tooth file in my pack, just in case I need them. They seem to do the job on nicks.I'm gonna use one on the SCHF9 & if it screws it up I'll have to fix it & then I'll have an SCHF8.5! *HaHa*
    I'm wondering if mine is a gen-2 version, it only says SCHRADE on the left side of the blade in the fashion of their most recent logo. It don't have the tiny guy on it & doesn't say Extreme Survival. The right side of the blade has the Griffin Design logo w/ words and SCHF9 just above the choil. Any clearance would be welcome! Thanks.
    Laterz,
    d-f-m

41. vteasy

vteasy Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I found one on sale at Amazon and picked it up. This knife is a beast. Incredible value for the money. I took it outside to some logs and battoned it through some knotty logs. Thing is indestructable. The black coding is really on there as well, hardly any scratches even through tough use. Did some minor chopping, the belly of the knife really performs well for this. The only thing I really didn't like was the handle out of the box but even that is growing on me. For a 30 dollar knife I am really happy.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  42. Martin Trj

Blog Posts:
    The coating is really tuff, it will only come off with sandpaper and a bit of work. I traded mine but I'm planning to get another one soon, it is a beast of a knife. I'm sure you'll enjoy it plenty.

BTW, welcome to the forum.