Selected leaves of the Great Lakes region

Discussion in 'Tree and Plant ID Database' started by Fights With Tools, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Fights With Tools

Fights With Tools Tracker

Blog Posts:
    In the real world, I work for a local soil & water conservation district as an environmental educator. I spend most of my time going around to local elementary schools teaching 3rd through 6th grade students about science and nature-related topics. Last year this equalled up to 380 classroom/outdoor presentations

In the fall, a lot of my time is spent teaching about trees. One of the activities that I do with students involves classification of various types of leaves (needle-leaf vs. broadleaf, simple leaf vs. compound leaf). It's much more interesting to do this with real leaves than it is to us photographs. To that end, I spent a bunch of time over the last two months collecting leaves from local trees and pressing them to dry. Once they were dry, I laminated them on 8.5 X 11 cardstock so they could be easily handled by students - I originally did this in 2009 and it was time to replace some of the samples.

Once all of the leaves were laminated, I selected one leaf of each species and scanned it to create a digital archive - this lets me make more sets of leaves any time I want.

I though some people here might be interested in this as a resource. Remember, these are scans of representative individual leaves - there will be a lot of variation between trees and even on a single tree. For size reference, the white background is 8.5 inches wide by 11 inches high. Any leaves larger than that size would not fit on my scanner so only some of the local species are represented here. The leaves are listed in alphabetical order by common name.

Enjoy.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

rsnurkle, Unistat76, Megalos and 5 others like this.
  2. Fights With Tools

Blog Posts:
  3. Fights With Tools

Blog Posts:
  4. Fights With Tools

Blog Posts:
    Here are two more leaves to add to the archive - I only recently finished laminating these.

Black Maple 2.jpg Swamp White Oak 2.jpg

rsnurkle, en_na, Unistat76 and 3 others like this.
  5. SAK_Survival

SAK_Survival Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.

6. Fights With Tools

Blog Posts:
    Not a problem. I just hope its a useful resource.