Self-made containers

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by Lg&m, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know bushcrafters love making things. Who else had made geocaching containers? Here are some of mine.

Attached Files:

2. OddTheViking

OddTheViking Guide

Blog Posts:
    Those are cool! I especially like the log and the lock! That lock would be a great way to hide a key in plain site. Have a gate with a new chain and lock, and a rusty old chain and lock "locked" around the nearest post...

3. Old Philosopher

Old Philosopher Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Ah...how to describe... Insidious..devious...down right dirty! Hahaha!
    So have either the lock or the log been used, and how many folks managed to find them?
    That's just nasty! :dblthumb:

4. petrifiedwood

petrifiedwood Guest

Blog Posts:
    I once made a foam "rock" out of great stuff gap filling foam and "fleckstone" spray paint. It weighed about an ounce. I remember tossing it underhanded to a buddy of mine and watching the panic appear on his face. :D

It looked like it should have weighed 7 pounds! I had a little film canister in the bottom of it. When you set it on the ground under a bush you could walk by it your whole life and never give it a second thought.

Unfortunately, I don't have pics. But trust me, fleckstone and foam make for convincing "rocks".

5. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    The log and the lock are the only ones I have used yet. I am making a new log because the old one was tossed when the city cleaned up a bike path. The lock is stage one of a two stage cache.
    I gladly give hints to anyone who ask. I have thought about making a rock but haven't yet. I bet it works good.Better then The one you can buy to hide keys. They aren't very hard to spot.

6. brutane

brutane Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't geocache yet but those are dang cool!! I really think I want to try this hobby out while out and about, especially with some planned trips this coming summer.

7. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Brutane, Do give it a try the whole family can have fun and it gives you one more reason to get outside.

8. greyhound352

greyhound352 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Great looking containers.

I was looking for a while for a home made container that was a pine cone that had a match box tube inside of it. The location of the container was under a pine tree with cones everywhere.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  9. Old Philosopher

Old Philosopher Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    <sigh> I guess this means I'd better pack my metal detector along with my GPS! :D

10. AaronMB

AaronMB Guest

Blog Posts:
    I've seen so many great caches - the creativity is amazing:
    -lots of the foam and painted rocks
    -large pumice rocks hollowed out underneath for a container
    -aluminum reflective strips that match those on telephone poles, secured with magnets, a tiny write-on-rain log glued to the back
    -fake fruit/cones hanging in trees
    -artificial fruit/cacti
    -foam concrete stays (those concrete blocks at the end of parking spots) with log under neath
    -night caches, where a flashlight is used to follow a trail of firetacks
    -fake snails with nano-cache inside; real snail shell, filled for support, with nano-cache inside
    -fake/modified wooden logs with a hollow for a container, and an endcap to complete the "normal log look"
    -fake light/electrical fixtures/plates, usually stuck with magnets and painted to match: the green electrical boxes, for example

I've done quite a few following a classical literature theme: Hamlet, (a skull), Paradise Lost (a fake apple), The Tell Tale Heart (a latex heart) , Adventures of Huck Finn (a miniature raft I made), Treasure Island (small wooden treasure box from craft store); I've a dizzying multi-cache called "The Turn of the Screw"...being an English major has influenced, those, eh?

I've also done a few with an activity to do: "Like Monkeys Using Tools" is a country cache where, after an easy 1 mile hike through some oaks, the cacher must figure out how to lower a bird house from a tree (rigged with paracord, pulleys, and carabiners) and sign the log within the birdhouse. It's enough to call it a task, but easy enough that I've yet to have to fix it - cachers are smart, for the most part. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011
  11. sgbofav

sgbofav Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This is one of my favorite parts of geocaching.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is an actual seed pod for a Joshua Tree. The hiding spot stumped many geocachers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    Out of all the ones you listed this is one of my favorites. I have only done one but it was fun. It helped that I also have a thing for flashlights.

Sgbofav, Those look great. I think the last one would have had me for a wile. I replaced the "log " today I will try and post a pic of it in it's hide.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  13. MedicX

MedicX Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Those are great looking! I've been thinking about making something along the lines of your log, and now am sold.

14. wingman115

wingman115 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I came across a fake pine cone once on a cache find.. Took me forever to figure that out...

15. terp 00

terp 00 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Schedule 40 painted pvc lasts a long time in the punishing Mojave Desert, and its water tight. The classic ammo can is the best!

[​IMG]

16. Capt. Jeff

Capt. Jeff Guest

Blog Posts:
    i enjoy Geocaching! you have some great ideas here! this will piss a lot of people off for sure!! lol

i came across something simular to your stick, but it was a bit bigger, and the bottom was hollowed out. the only reason i found it was i was pissed i didnt find it, and just kicked this log over, and there it was!! lol

17. StoneHopper

StoneHopper Scout

Blog Posts:
    A late friend who was into caching went by one of hers one day to check on it to find a family looking for it. The dad kept saying it was in this one spot while the young son was pointing to another area. This was on a cliff where a mountainside had been cut back years ago to make liveable space as well as parking spaces. After watching the dad suffer for about 30 minutes looking, she finally told him he needed to listen to his son who found the cache in about 2 minutes where he had said to look.
    She had some fun ones to find when I went with her to check some in the mountains around us.

18. hog

hog Guide

Blog Posts:
    I make all mine, have a natural log in the making, the photo below is one at a hide, also home made and camoed out.
    [​IMG]

These other two are waterproofrd and ready for caching when I find a suitable spot, made out of plumbing pipe.
    [​IMG]

19. gwynn1975

gwynn1975 Misguided Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Lg&m: No offense, but I would absolutely hate you if I was looking for that lock.. :D

Those look great. Very imaginative

20. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The strangest cache container I ever made was a fake cowpie. Got a real one that was dried out, made a plaster cast on top of it. Then lined the mold with handi-wrap and poured more plaster into the mold. Before it dried, stuck a medicine container on the bottom, for the actual cache container. Then painted it brown, and sealed it with fiberglass. Placed it just inside the fence in my pasture. Got interesting comments as expected. Unfortunately someone must have dropped and broke it so my work wasn't around too long. I guess you have to have a sick mind to make a cache like that, but it was fun for a one time project!

21. TexasOutdoors22250

TexasOutdoors22250 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    My project

Hey I've been working on a wooden mess kit but that's cook though a pipe pot

22. wingnut

wingnut Scout

Blog Posts:
    i will try to remember to take some pics of the caches i have muggle-flaged, some of my best ones were i believe stolen but walked off anyways.

23. mtnman4jesus

mtnman4jesus Scout

Blog Posts:
    I drilled out a couple pieces of wood to use as caches.Going to put them out tomorrow.

Attached Files:

24. chukar8

chukar8 Scout

Blog Posts:
  25. NogginCarver325

NogginCarver325 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing

26. borego

borego Scout

Blog Posts:
    You guys come up with some nasty stuff, man!

27. laugh

laugh Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wow... Those are just evil. Ive never done anything past basic difficulty level myself. Those would take forever to find. Keep up the good works man, you win in my book with that lock.

28. rackem1899

rackem1899 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    No wonder why I've never found one of these!!! (I've actually only tried once) well done tho!

29. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I made a cache container using a fish eye truck mirror. I screwed a truck Doc. holder to the back and named the cache "Hey, Looky You". I placed the container in a rotted out log with the mirror facing up. When the hunter looked into the hole, he could easily see himself....Hey Looky You!

30. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was detained for over two hours by local police for re-hiding a container like this. They even called out the local bomb squad and cordoned off the area until the all clear was given. As good as a container it is, I'd stay away from using this in urban areas.

31. Dakota Jim

Dakota Jim Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    One of the most evil ones I did was to cut a long in half, drill out enough room for a match container and two wood dowels. Then stapled tree bark onto it to hide the cut. Then placed it in a tree grove with A LOT of other downed wood. Blended perfectly with all the other branches. Called Cachers do it in the "Woods". Archived now do to it was on a WMA.

32. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was watching the movie congo and a scene where the cave was collapsing they had these huge chunks of rock that fell from the ceiling being a movie of course they looked real. except for the ones that fell in the water. They were obviously floating.

33. golfpro1286

golfpro1286 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Cool ideas, I have not been geocaching yet, gonna try to this weekend with my best friend if we have time. I would be really interested in hiding them though, and there are some great ideas in this thread!

34. diannamarsolek

diannamarsolek Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i have used elk bones

in a pile with one having a hole in it. also have made fake birds. and birds nestes .:4: let me tell you its funny win your friends have a bird land on them

35. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I agree, these should be avoided. I had the same experience with a cache that was a retractable sprinkler head. someone seen me put it back and went to check it out, freaked out and called the cops. Since I was searching for another cache near by. this clown took down my plate number on the Jeep and told the cops I placed a "device" under bush. before the cops showed up, I left and was driving to another location when I got call on my cell phone. Seems the cops looked up my plate number and called my house. My wife gave them my cell and the fun was on! I was detained for 4 hours teaching local law enforcement all about geocaching. Turns out they too called out the bomb squad, closed an entire park and ran everyone out.

36. jdk

jdk Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That log is wild. I was recently out with a group and ran across a hidden ammo can and was trying to figure out why in the world it was setting there. Luckily, one of the group recognized it was a geocaching container. Had me puzzled. Pretty neat way to get folks out in the woods though. Thanks and take care.

37. Bamaboy2132

Bamaboy2132 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Those are cool until I'm the one looking for that cache, then I turn into a sailor and you're not my friend anymore.

38. that redneck guy

that redneck guy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Curiously Strong

The first truly homemade cache I devised was at a moment of desperation when I passed an awesome hiding spot. I had a near empty Altoids can in my pack, which I promptly emptied, a partial roll of duct tape, and a small note pad and pencil.
    I used the duct tape to layer the bottom of the container and folded the tape around the rim of it creating a surprisingly water resistant seal with the lid that I camouflaged with a small strip of tape.
    Sadly I have no pictures of this cache, or the coordinates! I failed to post the cache online after smartphone and GPS malfunctions.

39. Michboy11

Michboy11 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I usually find the usual, notebooks, little nic nack type stuff. I did find a Streamlight Flashlight though! Super Cool!

40. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:

If I was a LEO I would have thought twice about you leaving it behind as well.....Glad it turned out for you.

Sorry, not my idea of a good time....especially if a search was in order.