September 2014 Monthly Project - Backwoods Baking!

Discussion in 'Monthly Projects' started by exohead, Sep 6, 2014.

1. exohead

exohead Scout

Blog Posts:
    Decided to play with this idea some. The idea here is to bake something using ingredients you could find in the woods! It doesn't necessarily have to be made in the woods, or with those ingredients exactly (getting to the woods isn't always easy!), but bonus points if you do get in the woods, get the ingredients, and make it! Some ideas to think about are if you are using flour or sweeteners, leavening, and a few other thoughts.

To make things a smidge easier: you may bring one ingredient from home! Use whatever cooking equipment you need to, but try to keep in mind that it should be something you would have (or be made with something you have) while in the woods.

Have fun, guys. I'm still in the moving process, so it's a few days late. Sorry about that!
  2. exohead

exohead Scout

Blog Posts:
    Anybody make any progress at all?
  3. Kingsford

Kingsford Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Black walnut cookies would be good, or cake. My grandma used to use them, sadly I don't have her recipes.
  4. Battler

Battler Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    acorns

Acorn cakes or bread would be good. Found some info on Mother Earth about this.
  5. brickbrit

brickbrit Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great thread idea hope it progresses
  6. jswi2374

jswi2374 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have baked cattail roots before just by putting them next to my fire and burying them in the ashes. They taste kind of like wet twine that was dipped in instant potato flakes. Chew out the starch and spit out the wet fibers. No pictures, sorry!
    IMG_0595.JPG This bannock was made in the woods with flour from home and water gathered on site.