shotgun help

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by RDog, Mar 31, 2013.

1. RDog

RDog Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been looking for a shotgun for awhile now and the different choices are starting to all blur together.

I thought I could tell you what I want and maybe you have an idea I have not looked at yet.

Ideally:
    12 g. w/3.5" ability
    semi auto (if I can afford it)
    either a "combo" set up or have aftermarket/factory barrels...want duck barrel, short defense barrel, and rifled slug barrel w/cantilever for scope.
    have mag tube extensions available.

A pump action with the above would be second pick.

A gun like the Winchester SXP camp/field combo looks good...but lacks a rifled cantilever barrel. My experience with Win guns is getting extra barrels is pretty tough...I don't know if they have a rifled barrel available. Also I would like tube extensions for it when placed in the defense role, not sure if they are available.

The Mossberg 835 ulti-mag combo looks good, but lacks the "defense" barrel.

So, can anyone help? One gun, 3 barrels available ?

If I could find barrels to fit my 1300 defender...a duck and a scoped rifled kind I'd be set, but I don't think they make them all...and the price would be about that of a new gun anyway.

2. demonfurbie

demonfurbie Scout

Blog Posts:
    have ya looked at the mossy 500, tons of barrells out there for it, pump and if i recall only 3in shells... its worth a look at

3. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I use an 835 but slugs are out with the over bored barrel. Have to get a rifled slug barrel(Walmart.com). There are options for 835 defense barrels too(Mossberg part #12946 835 12 ga 18 1/2" Cylinder Bore w/bead sight, blue finish $100.00.) If I was just getting one shotgun to fill all roles it would be the 835.

4. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Pump gun , but check out the Remington 887...

Regards,

ezra

5. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Unless you plan on a lot of duck and goose hunting, the 3.5 inch chamber is wasted money. It is really only useful for the large payload with non toxic shot that is preferred for long range migratory bird hunting. A standard 3 inch chamber is more than sufficient for everything else.

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

6. solidbrim

solidbrim Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 are good pumps, if you want versatility. There are some cheaper, or should I say inexpensive, shotguns on the market. Mossberg makes the Maverick 88 and many of the aftermarket parts can be used. Savage makes a 530 and 520 that you may also be interested in. However, if you look around, you can sometimes find deals. My father-in-law told me a few days ago that he sold his pump and picked up a semi for $350. I am not sure of the model but it was a Winchester. I haven't seen a $350 semi-shotgun in years.

Best thing to do it narrow it down to a few choices and then see what deals you can find at a local gun show (if that is possible). Dealers at gun shows tend to haggle and drastically lower their prices around the close of the second day. They don't want to pack all of those guns back up. Hope this helps.

7. NoseWarmer

NoseWarmer Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Your best bet is going to be a Mossberg Pump... You can find all the extras and not spend a ton of money... Also, a pump will shoot all day long... A auto could have issues...

8. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Agreed....3-1/2 made to carry a heavy load of steel or God forbid, heavy shot....nothing will wake ya up like touching off 3-1/2 # 4 heavy shot, straight up on a passing duck.....and most 2 and 3rd shots are mostly expensive noise anyway.....

I load my 870 with 2... 2-3/4's" or 3"....the follow it up with a 3-1/2 heavy....but rarely touch it off.....

Mossberg some models are hard to put magazine extensions, Remington much easier 870/1100....barrels are $160 bucks up.

Can't tell ya about Win or Benelli.....don't own any.....

9. PaulyDanyl

PaulyDanyl Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My opinion agrees with some previous posters that the 3.5 is overkill for most situations unless you're going really specialized. I didn't look much at semi autos when shopping for my own shotty recently due to budget constraints (my wife), but I found the Rem 870 and the Mossy 500 both have a plethora of aftermarket barrels avalable. They both have 3.5 variants of these designs available although the availability and selection of barrels are a little bit slimmer. I went with a basic 870 in a field configuation, then added an HD barrel, and will consider the rifled deer barrel (although tbh a foster slug in a smooth field barrel is just fine for deer at the kind of ranges some denser woods will allow).

Side note, the Mossy aftermarket barrels seem to be less expensive than the rem barrels, but the Remington was more highly recommended to me by family, friends, and local gun shop employees. Ymmv.

10. BManHunts

BManHunts Tracker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Like others have said, the 870 is a great gun. I have one (chambered for 2 3/4 in.) and there are tons of barrels out there. I have an 18.5" smooth bore barrel, a 24" rifled deer barrel, and a 30" trap/bird hunting barrel. I also purchased an 887 two years ago. It is covered in a plastic that helps to keep down corrosion. I do a lot of waterfowl hunting at salt marshes, so it helps a little. The 887 is chambered for 3 1/2 shells, but it is a bit of overkill. The barrels aren't as easy to come by for the 887, but I think they make a waterfowl/turkey combo. It also comes in camo or black. I've had the 870 for 22 years, and it was my father's before that. Awesome gun. The 887 sometimes doesn't lock closed, unless I really push it forward hard. Hope this helps.

-BMH

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  11. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a pretty old 870 (1980, Wingmaster)... 2-3/4" shells only, but I love it... The original barrel was for birdshot (the Deermaster, I think it was called, came with the slug barrel), and I later bought a slug barrel for it. It mostly sits next to my bed as a home defense weapon now, as I prefer a rifle for deer. If you can find an older one in good shape, get it. I'm not too impressed with fit and finish on the newer 870 Express, though maybe I'm just being fussy. I've never heard the new ones were 'bad', but the ones I've handled just weren't as polished. A friend offered to trade a sporting Mauser for it.

12. J.M.

J.M. Scout

Blog Posts:
    Like others have pointed out, there is really very little need for 3.5" shells. Check out barrel availability and prices before you decide. I would say get a Remington 870 express combo and then whatever other barrels you need. The express guns can be found at some big box stores prior to hunting season for reasonable costs, usually with a rifled deer barrel and Remchoke bird barrel for around $400. A short defense barrel should be around $100.

13. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Back in my dove hunting heydays I owned a Mossberg 500, a Rem 870 Wingmaster, a Browning BPS Upland Special, and a Winchester 1300 XTR Featherweight. After shooting hundreds of rounds through each my favorite for smoothness and reliability was the Winchester 1300. The 22" barrel swings so smoothly and the 6-3/8 pound weight makes carrying a joy. My dad gifted me a factory 22" parkerized rifled barrel with rifle sights. This turned my favorite bird gun into an awesome pig gun. This was back in the mid 80s. I sold the overs years ago but still have my Winchester 1300, love that shotgun. :4: Back then you could get accessory barrels from Cabelas for about $139.00.

14. xrayjonz

xrayjonz Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    One other reason you might want the 3.5 chamber is for Turkey..Otherwise agree with above.

15. Grouse870

Grouse870 Scout

Blog Posts:
    The 870 is your best bet. All of those barrels are avaliable. Plus its hard to go wrong with an 870

16. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I recommended the 887 above based on your OP. my shotguns, however are 870s with mag 3" receivers and two mag barrels each. One barrel is an 18 1/4" cyl bore and the oth is a 28" with choke tubes. My tightest choke is an extra full turkey.
    I can shoot 2 1/2", 2 3/3",04 3" mags. Both guns have police ghost rings and post front sights. With them, I can take anything from rabbits to geese. The short barrel is for repelling close-up borders or for when I am fly-fishing where the big bears are.
    If you are thinking survival issues with migratory birds, a goose on a golf course or wheat field is no match for an accurate .22. ( here, I am only speaking of an EXTREME circumstance; I do not encourage the breaking of any game law).
    The 3 1/2" is expensive, loud, and punishing in a lot of guns. If you love getting up in the dark, slogging through mud and rain, and wing shooting geese over decoys, by all means, get a 3 1/2"; otherwise, don't waste your money or shoulder...

Regards,

ezra

17. Tomspanks

Tomspanks Tracker

Blog Posts:
    if I was on a budget Id go mossberg 500 and pick up a few barrels itll get the job done. If 3.5" is a real necessity, benellis nova but its gonna get pricier.

semis...Prolly go winchester but barrels are a problem.

18. forcemultiplyr

forcemultiplyr Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I got a Stoeger model 2000 combo w/ choked barrel with 5 tubes including extra full turkey and a cant rifled slug barrel for just over $600 out the door. This gun will shoot upto 3" but it is the same action as the Benneli super black eagle. Both guns are made by the same company, the Stoeger is made in Turkey not Italy so I guess the manuf. cost is less.

19. firemedic

firemedic Scout

Blog Posts:
    The 870 magnum express.

It is the AK 47 of shotguns tough as nails.

I have one I bought it used for 250.00
    And I don't take care of it as I should, it has never let me down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk