Should I buy a Kellam knife?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Kile, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Kile

Kile Scout

Blog Posts:
    Anyone own a Kellam knife I would appreciate any feedback from actual users, thanks.

2. b-mac

b-mac Scout

Blog Posts:
    You could buy a Lauri blade and build your own for a lot less. Same blades if I remember correctly. I've built a bunch of them, and they're good blades. If you're not into building your own, go for it. There are a ton of tutorials out there...

3. outsyder

outsyder Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yes you should!

The Wolverine is a sublime piece of kit, my favourite all round blade I own right right now.

In my experience I have never known a blade get that sharp, stay that sharp or is better in the hand.

Also it has as much cutting blade as my other meaty knives yet it weighs less than my necker, it looks good and feels great.

My only issues are I could use ever so slightly larger handle for my big shovel hands and the sheath which is fantastic is solely right handed so I had a lefty made for mine.

Really, cannot recommend highly enough!

4. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I had a Kellam Wolverine. Hands down the best scandi blade I've ever used. Difference in it and a Mora is like comparing a steak knife from Outback to a plastic knife from McDonalds.

5. kamagong

kamagong Scout

Blog Posts:
    Depends on which line you have in mind.

6. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you want one, buy it. If you don't like it, you will easily sell it here. I think you will like it though.

7. TwoAxe

TwoAxe Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The puukko and wolverine are excellent. Not as pricey as customs, but the equal in quality. Go for it.

8. b-ski

b-ski Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought the puukko for my son and it is an excellent knife. Good value for the money in my opinion. I highly recommend it!

9. JOttum

JOttum Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great knives and worth their value.

10. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I think the Ahti knives use the same blades but are cheaper in price. So if looking to save a few bucks that option is there. Unless I am mistaken.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  11. RSV2400

RSV2400 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Kile,

Before you pul the trigger on the Kellam, I'd suggest you check out the Ahti line and compare them side by side with the Kellam Wolf Pack. Ahtis are the higher end line from the same manufacturer. A little better built with sturdier sheaths (note the metal butt plates on handles, rivets and metal reinforcing bands on sheaths, etc...). Lamnia.fi, one of our BCUSA vendors, had the lowest prices I found when I got mine (the 7" Leuku). Same blades on both, but Ahti $81 vs. $120 for the same 7" Kellam Leuku model and it had a sturdier sheath. Nice, lightweight models and good cutters/choppers with either brand name.

Bob V.

12. newfoundland woodsman

newfoundland woodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    My girlfriend saw me looking at knives a while ago and said that would be a good gift for her to give me for christmas. Who am i to say no to her? Lol

I did a lot of research and decided the wolverine had the best features for the price. During my time poking around bcuk, britishblades etc i found posts by Stuart Kellam himself where he stated that the blades are their own, made on site in finland. So take it for what its worth i guess, but from the horses mouth they are not lauri or ahti blades with a kellam logo.

13. Frederick89

Frederick89 Scout

Blog Posts:
    As I have written already a while ago Kellam is just a seller and put its name on knives made by others. It's obvious that they try to look genuine: they have to sell..

- The Wild Finn Line is made by Ahti and Korupuukko. SPT blades are simply Lauri PT blades, stamped factory made ones.
    - AK line is named after Altti Kankanpää, half retired blacksmith whose son Pauli is owner of Korupuukko. Among them there is also a puukko made by Eräpuu, actually.
    - KT line is made by Wood Jewel.
    - KP line is made by Kainuun Puukko.
    - the finnish among "historical knives" are made by YP-Taonta and Lapin puukko with added bark sheath.
    - J line is made by Iisakki Järvenpää Oy.
    - R line is made by Roselli.
    - M line is made by Marttiini.

among the "others"
    - HM line is made by WoodsKnife
    - YP line is made by YP-Taonta and Kuronen puukkos.
    - Kullervo puukkos are made by Veikko Hakkarainen of Tapio, Rovaniemi.

14. PatG

PatG Scout

Blog Posts:
    This is right on the money. You can compare Kellams knife lines to all the other places that sell this style of knife and you will immediately notice most on the Kellam website are made by other companies and most likely available for less if you look around a little. The link provided to the forum supporter is outstanding as is Ragweed Forge. Hope this helps.

15. rossioak

rossioak Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I picked up the puukko about a year ago and love it. Razor sharp and the handle contours great for my average sized hands. I think the traditional scandi style sheath is a little awkward for belt carry but works fine and is very good quality.

16. Sigmalite

Sigmalite Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The Wolverine is an awesome blade. It has a thick enough stock, but surprisingly light. Check out Virtuovoice on Youtube. It's one of his favorite knives--and he has a lot of blades that he puts to hard use. The only issue is that when I first received it, the sheath was so tight that the handle stuck out more than it should have. But a bit of water and massaging and it's now perfect. Just go for it.

17. ripcurlksm

ripcurlksm Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    screaming edge

18. Bouncer871

Bouncer871 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Been wanting a Ranger Puukko for years just never have been able to pull the trigger on one.

19. coldwaterboys

coldwaterboys Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Very nice blades. Yes, buy it.

20. wizard

wizard Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a Kellam Wolverine and I really like the knife. It is very sharp, stays sharp and feels very comfortable in the hand for extended use. A real bargain. It is not a large knife, so your needs will dictate what you buy.

A friend that runs survival and bushcraft courses uses a Kellam Wolverine as his main knife and swears by it. Very well made and very high quality for the price. I am surprised more people don't own one!

21. InIt2Live

InIt2Live Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I will ditto the previous post as to the quality.

I just received my Kellam Wolverine in the mail yesterday, and took it straight to the wood pile to play around. Excellent knife! The fit and finish is great, the blade is incredibly sharp and cuts like a dream. I do believe this knife will be a favorite for a long time.

22. stevep

stevep Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    i just bought a couple of puukko's from ragweed forge. they came very fast across the country. my only comment is they looked shopworn and like they had been in stock awhile…patina, creased leather…maybe if your thinking of ordering from ragnar call him and ask if he could pull you a fresh one. he is a great business man and i think he would do that for you.

23. shaggystu

shaggystu Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've had a Kellam Wolverine for a few years now and it's seen hard use as my main user for most of that time. Over time it's been modified very slightly, first the sheath (adding a baldric and wrapping the sheath in sewing thread with a needle tucked behind the wrap. I've since removed the needle and thread), and then the blade itself (it's been shortened by about 5mm and the spine has been "dropped" slightly towards the point to make for a slightly thinner profile). It's a great knife, and one that I'll probably be using for many years to come.

Cheers,

Stuart.

24. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Guide

Blog Posts:
    how does the heat treat compare to Wood Jewell? I really like WJ knives but haven't been really impressed by the edge holding....

25. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I got the basic puukko and love it! Out of the box it is easily the sharpest of my small Nordic collection. I later got the smaller leuku (Tracker) and it is very nice too. I would recommend either or both. Very nice sheaths too.