Shoulder bag

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by hootyhoo, Jun 6, 2011.

1. hootyhoo

hootyhoo Scout

Blog Posts:
    I want to get one of those bags that you carry across your chest. Slung over one shoulder. Not sure what to call it. Something like a bike messenger bag. Subdued color.
    I want to carry:

small trowel
    several books in dry bag
    canteen
    poncho
    fak
    pruning shears, small
    And most importantly have room for small/medium amounts of foraged roots, leaves, fruit, nuts or whatever.

I plan to carry this to forage in local parks, cemetarys, greenways, ect -- so I want to blend in to the urban scene and not make it obvious what I doing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. shutternut

shutternut Scout

Blog Posts:
    Solo sent me an updated version of the old GI map case. It should do the job well for you. I have a post on it around here somewhere.

It's rugged, light and carries all the stuff when I'm going to classes at the Arboretum. Guidebooks, knife, shears, forage bags, etc.

Give it a look.

3. Skrapmetal

Skrapmetal Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Maxpedition Versipacks, Timbuk2 Messengers, and Filson Field Bags.

Three very different types of bags, should give you some choice in just what you consider "subdued".

Or you could look for an old mailcarrier's bag on ebay.

4. bclark

bclark Scout

Blog Posts:
    you could just get a laptop case in that style never get a second look then

5. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Hunting, trapping, tracking (96) Modified.jpg

Great idea. I use a book bag purchased at a yard sale. I use it to carry a couple of traps (#3 Dbl L.S.) and survival gear including prapping lure, hatchet, Ham radio and GPS when on the trapline. I like a big outside pocket in the flap for carrying things I need quick access to (the extra weight in the flap also helps hold it closed) but it's surprisingly comfortable and handier than a back pack since I don't have to lay it in the snow to get things out of it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. Hiker

Hiker Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you don't mind the price the 5.11 Tactical Select Carry Sling Pack is one I've been thinking about. I like the idea of never having to take it off to get into it, yet you can slide it completely out of the way. Might make it a present to myself! I've earned it!:3:

7. Arrowolf

Arrowolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    arrow_wolf1415
    Maxpedition Sitka or Kodiak gearslinger.

8. WarDoggy

WarDoggy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Building guns in the shadow of Appalachia
    It's called a man-purse. :4:

I kid, I kid.

While I've never used one of their gearslingers, I've had a lot of good luck with other Max-P offerings. I'd start looking there.

I have a Max-P Condor I that I've had, and carried every single day (school, airplane carry-on, day hikes, I've really used it every frakkin day) for the last almost 7 yrs. It is still holding up very well.

9. Kepper

Kepper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's called a satchel, Indiana Jones carries one.

Yeah, so does Joy Behar.

10. Donar

Donar Tracker

Blog Posts:
    While looking for a maxpedition bag I cam across a UTG Multi-functional Tactical Messenger Bag. I have seen some pretty decnet reviews on it, and its under $30. I am debating getting one for a day hike bag. The only snag is that I need to deal with the whole man purse idea.

Has anyone had any experiences with the UTG? bag?

11. ootter

ootter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been using the UTG bag for about 4-5 months now as a truck/car bag. I've been really happy with it but I wouldn't want to carry it very far. The sling design just doesn't work for me for extended carry. I also don't think it would be large enough for foraging. Fortunately its cheap enough to try without feeling like you wasted a ton of money on something you don't use much.

12. Crustysnow

Crustysnow Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bingo! If you don't want to draw attention.....I have laptop cases/bags from Lands End and Duluth Pack. I taken them into the field and collected plants during surveys and used the same bags at professional conferences around the country.

13. Sawdust and Splinters

Sawdust and Splinters Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A used GI gas mask bag is only about 10 bucks at a surplus store, very handy.

14. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
  15. zero40484

zero40484 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I run one of these but I haven't decided how to shorten the straps they are a bit long for me. But never the less a great bag
    I keep
    Canteen kit(canteen,cup,stove)If I'm going out further I clip on a Klean canteen 27oz.
    Mora no.1
    Fire kit
    Space blanket
    Notepad
    Vice grip
    Eat'N tool
    50' 550 cord
    Schema rag

16. Prof

Prof Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    My suggestion is the haversack. These were popular in the 19th century, and are a good solution today as well. We make ours from a light canvas or duck. To darken the fabric, soak in coffee, tea or hot water and walnut hulls. If it gets too muddy from roots, toss it in the washer and go ahead. I have several that can be packed ahead of time for different activities.

Spork posted a step-by-step tutorial showing how he made his.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29214&highlight=Canvas+haversack

Here is a photo of some that we made. Each takes a half yard of fabric, so the cost is only about $3 each. Sewing them is a fun DIY project, and produces a useful piece of gear. I have seen similar bags for sale fior as much as $30.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  17. Niflreika

Niflreika Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you're willing to spend the $$, the Duluth Pack Standard Book Bag $90 looks like just what you want.

[​IMG]

Or the Deluxe Book Bag with leather bottom $130

[​IMG]

Or their Field Satchel $130

[​IMG]

Frost River also has their Manitou Shoulder Bag $110-$135

[​IMG]

Pricey, but you'll blend in, the bags will probably last through your grandkid's lives, and you get a sense of style with them that outdoorsmen and hippy chicks alike will love.

18. Treeline

Treeline Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Duluth and FR bags look great. I would also suggest (as others have) a Filson. I've been using a Filson small carryon for about 10 years and it's still going strong. It has started to show some wear on the bottom canvas, but I'll probably send it in for a repair sometime soon. I really like the bridle leather straps on the Filson, and it looks like the FR has them too.

[​IMG]

19. backwoodstrails

backwoodstrails Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  20. Howie

Howie Guide Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    Another vote for a you sew it haversack. A max of one yard of fabric would give you more pockets and slip pouches than you would ever need. Like stated above a half yard is more than plenty. Plus YOU made it. You could hand sew one up while watching one movie on the silly tv.

An 11x14 will comfortably hold everything youve listed plus room for lots more

21. Crossed Arrows

Crossed Arrows Guest

Blog Posts:
    Find something at a thrift shop like Goodwill for a few bucks, carry it for awhile and you will figure out if you like to carry a shoulder bag and just what you want to carry. Then you can pay up for the right one if you want.

I have several shoulder bags for the field and find them very handy. A USGI haversack, which was a favorite of Paratroopers in WWII; a canvas "possibles bag" from my flintlock rifle woodsrunner outfit and another more modern canvas haversack that works well with my longbow and backquiver. No one questions my masculinity when I carry any of these.

22. WarDoggy

WarDoggy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Building guns in the shadow of Appalachia
    Alpha Industries has a selection of several different man-purses, I mean satchels, in a few price categories. Unfortunately, they have their logo painted all over them in the most gods awful fashion. But for $20-30 bucks, might be worth a look.

23. WRKNMAN

WRKNMAN Scout

Blog Posts:
  24. Crustysnow

Crustysnow Scout

Blog Posts:
    You might want to look into Duluth Trading, not Duluth Pack, but Duluth Trading. Just got their little catalog yesterday and there were several options in there.