Sierra Trading Post

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by sarge1967, Mar 16, 2011.

1. sarge1967

sarge1967 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hey everyone!

This is not a gear review, but a review of customer service from Sierra Trading Post.

I have been shopping with these folks for a couple of years. I would call them an outlet company. Some of the deals I have gotten over the years have been amazing! I am on their email list and they send out frequent internet coupons. This is where you save BIG TIME!

But that is not the reason for my review.

I ordered my Stepson a Slumberjack 20 degree sleeping bag. It was shipped within a day like all the orders have been. We got it yesterday and Trevor was very excited about his new bag. Now according to the box it should have come with a stuff sack. There was not one in the box or the plastic bag the sleeping bag came in. I stuck my arm down into the bag and found nothing. I looked on the paperwork for a phone number or email for Slumberjack and could not find one. So today I called Sierra Trading Post to see if they had contact info for Slumberjack. I spoke with David. I explained the situation to him, I made it clear that I DID NOT HOLD Sierra trading Poat responsible for this. He took all the info down and put it into his computer. He said that he would send it on to mgt and that they would send us a stuff sack by Fri. I told him that they did not have to do that, it was not their fault. He said no we will make it right and I would hear back from him by Fri.

Well I got a call a few hours later. I did not get to the phone in time but it was David and he left me a message stating that the stuff sack should be in the bottom of the bag with the zipper holding the cord. Well my wife and I both had looked but but this time I unzipped the bag completely and sure enough there was the stuff sack. Well feeling a bit embarassed I called David back and told him we found it. Anyway I was very impressed that they were willing to send a new one out and the speed in which David dealt with this.

Kuddos to Sierra Trading Post! :dblthumb::dblthumb::dblthumb:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. Ranger

Ranger Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good story and good to know another good company to deal with.

3. T MAC

T MAC Old Squid Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'd say great customer service. Makes you wanna do business with people like that again!

4. MK-9

MK-9 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Guess I should have made an attempt to return the 3 pairs of convertible hiking pants I picked up from them about a year ago eh? They didn't even come close to fitting. At 34" waist I should have been able to get them past my thighs. Every other pair of pants / shorts I have are 32" or 34" and fit or are slightly loose, lol.

Your post just goes to show you making an effort might help a little. My own fault for not getting on it.

5. Guy

Guy Founder Staff Member Administrator Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I have purchased from them numerous times myself, and they are a great retailer. I have never heard of anyone having trouble with them.

6. Thunder 9

Thunder 9 Guide

Blog Posts:
    They get two thumbs up from me too.
    Excellent communication and customer
    service is top notch.

7. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    great to hear - my orders from them have been perfect so far, but good to know they are there if you need them.

8. Throc

Throc Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've always had great experiences with them. I've been ordering from them since 2003 and have yet to have a problem. Let's hope it stays that way.

9. unswydd

unswydd Guide

Blog Posts:
    Been dealing with them for a number of years now and have never had an issue with them.

10. wsdstan

wsdstan Guide

Blog Posts:
    They are a great outfit. I get a lot of stuff there and they tell you on the invoice how much money you have saved for both that order, and all the orders you have ever made. Of course it is off of suggested retail but its still a place where you can get a good value and their customer service has always been top notch.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  11. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have shopped with them for about fifteen years. Can't imagine how much dough I've dropped there. Customer service has always been top notch, especially returns.

If you have time, stop in one of their retail outlets. It's a great way to blow as much cash as you have in hand.

I like that they list every product's country of origin in their descriptions.

12. AlteredMentalStatus

AlteredMentalStatus Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    AIM:
    bigkingtut@mac.com
    Great store....

13. Pabloturtle

Pabloturtle Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Have had nothing but excellent service from them!

14. Reader

Reader Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've had nothing but good deals and good service from them as well. In fact, my only complaint is that they force me to spend so much money there.

15. sarge1967

sarge1967 Guide

Blog Posts:
    LOL yea my wife has made that same comment.

16. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Well I must be the exception. I ordered a Sigg aluminum canteen from them last year and the thing came in crushed like a beer can. I admit it was on clearance, but I did not expect to get something damaged beyond usability, and even on clearance it was not cheap.
    I’m usually a firm believe in the “fool me once” principle, but after hearing all these respected forum members singing their praises I will have to give them another try.
    Thanks
    Wolf

17. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They include a label for free return shipping. I hope you used it! I have been known to order more solely to get a free return label :30:

18. sarge1967

sarge1967 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wow wolf that is unusual for them. I have had to return items due to not fitting but never ever had a problem. Never had anything come damaged.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

19. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Also have had very good service from them - for years.

20. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    No, I took it as on clearance and as is. I tossed the whole package and bottle without going any further.

Wolf

21. actichy

actichy Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I, too have had nothing but good experiences with Sierra Trading Post. It's great to know that they back-up their products.

22. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I once ordered a SOG Tech Bowie that came with the SOG Multi-Tool for what would have been a decent price for just the knife. They have some real deals!

23. dcbowtecher

dcbowtecher Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good outfit and willing to work with you. I bought many Swanndri and Woolrich [Technowool and wool] items from them. In some cases, when speaking directly to a rep, they made an even better offer than the listed online price. Also, very courteous. A breath of fresh air.

24. dcbowtecher

dcbowtecher Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Case in point about this outfit. I had been eyeing the navy Hammer Springs wool jacket as an extra cover to my Swanndri Queenstown overshirt [which was also purchased from them]. The online price was $64.95 and I happened to find an outdated coupon for the item, which offered the item at $44.95. I called and spoke directly with a rep and inquired about the coupon. I was asked for my phone number and was told that they would get back to me about whether or not it would be acceptable. A while later, they called and OK'ed the purchase at the extra discounted price. I was pleased. So I then ordered the black jacket also. I received the navy jacket and feel good about the purchase. They have always been courteous and willing to assist me with everything. Kudos.

25. The Stumpy One

The Stumpy One Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Sierra Trading have been a great company for years. The best deal I think I have had from them is a Barbour jacket made from Ventile, dating from when Barbour made all their stuff in the UK. It is an amazing jacket, and I think I got it for under $200.

Their return policy is also extremely easy, so I would never have any qualms about ordering from them.