Silnylon vs. Nylon Ripstop Fabric

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by rcmullins, Nov 18, 2011.

1. rcmullins

rcmullins Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ok, so the Bushcraft outfitters sell a nylon ripstop tarp, however I am seeing in a variety of forum a 'silnylon', (silicon impregnated nylon).

So which would I want and why?

2. highlife

highlife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I assume your question is "What's the difference between ripstop nylon and silnylon?"

If so, it's mostly waterproofness (secondarily breathability). The BCUSA tarp is a Urethane coated ripstop nylon, which ends up being about the same waterproofness as silnylon, but is based on a high-quality 1.9oz ripstop. A lost of silnylon is 1.1oz or lighter, which is very "glidey," kind of like parachute pants.

In most instances, even a non-waterproof tarp would be OK, similar to a canvas tarp that isn't wax-treated, but note that if it's wet or has condensation on it, and you touch it from the under-side, you'll end up getting wet.

Just a thought.

3. R_W

R_W Guide

Blog Posts:
    You need to handle both, two completely different animals. I like silnylon as it doesn't absorb water so you don't soak whatever is next to it in your pack or add a line of weight. I hate silnylon because it is so slick it is really hard to get good tiedowns.

4. rcmullins

rcmullins Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I guess a better question is what is the difference from a performance perspective. I am assuming that ripstop nylon is tougher, where as silnylon is more waterproof?

5. Pabloturtle

Pabloturtle Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Silnylon is a product developed for the making of lightweight sails. As mentioned before it doesn't soak up water like coated nylons. Silnylon is by far stronger than the coated nylons. One of the reasons you can go to a lighter weight material in sil. and still have better strength than a coated nylon. Silnylon is lighter, stronger, better waterproofing(IMO), but more expensive. Both my tarps are coated nylon, but 2 of my 3 tents are silny.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  6. PDA

PDA Scout

Blog Posts:
  7. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    i'm confused, but probably missing something important... my silnylon tarps (one commercial, one homemade) both have loops sewn into the edge to tie off to... are you maybe trying to use the old stone in the corner trick and your tie-off line keeps sliding off? is that what you mean?

8. hootyhoo

hootyhoo Scout

Blog Posts:
    The most obvious difference is weight and money. If you want to go lighter you pay more. Both should keep you dry and I doubt that one will really outlast the other for typical hiker use. Most likely whichever you choose will be replaced by some newer more interesting shelter long before it gets "worn out" from careful use. I've had several of both types, but use silnylon for backpacking and a 4.00 Walmart blue tarp for when a fire is used for heating the shelter.

9. rcmullins

rcmullins Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks hooty. Exactly what I was needing.

10. justin_baker

justin_baker Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Sil nylon is much lighter than rip stop, but ripstop is more durable. Most ultralight tarps are made from sil nylon and they can be pricey.

11. kgd

kgd Dr. Fishguts Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sil-nylon is great as a tarp, but not very abrasion resistant so its a no go for a groundcloth. I have a 9.5 ' x 7.5' silnylon tarp that I adore because it is so packable. It is a bit weird how slippery it is, especially when trying to stuff it in a stuff sack. Main downside is its expense. You are paying double the price for the lighter weight and packability. That is a great deal for some and a non-starter for others. Definitely not the kind of thing you want to trust to spark holes either. For what its worth, I like my sil tarp a bunch and would go after it again if I lost or destroyed the one I have. The beauty of a tarp lies in its ability to reduce weight and volume of your kit. For that I think it serves this function as well as anything could.