sleep/shelter system for daypack

Discussion in 'Sleep Systems' started by mtwarden, Jun 18, 2016.

1. mtwarden

mtwarden Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    so what the heck do you need a sleep/shelter system for day hiking? :4: Well I recreate in some pretty remote country and there is always a chance of an unexpected night out. I've put together a pretty light and relatively inexpensive system that should get me through a unplanned night out.

I had a gal at work sew up a Climashield Apex quilt for me- it's 2.5 Climashield so roughly rated to 50 degrees. It has two yards of Apex and about 4 yards of 1.1 ripstop (seconds)- about $25 in materials. Weight is a svelte 12.5 oz.

I've teamed it up w/ a AMK/SOL Escape bivy- this is one of their newer offerings and differs from all the other bivies they offer in that this one actually breathes. weight is 8.5 oz and the quilt fits nicely in it, got it off ebay for $40

I have a sit pad that I've incorporated into my daypack and then a scored (and folded) 3/8" 20x40" ccf pad- the sit pad weighs 1.5 oz, the pad 3.5 oz- probably $20-ish total

I also have 5x8 silnylon tarp that weighs 8.5 oz, it was a second (just cosmetic) and paid $20 for it

so a little over 2 pounds for sleep/shelter and very low volume, a little over $100 invested

I always carry some additional clothing that would help w/ insulative value- fleece beanie and gloves, light down vest or jacket, rain jacket, with these clothing items and the above system, I should be relatively comfortable to about 40-ish degrees and alive much lower

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

B33J, pab1, Smokey Radley and 40 others like this.
  2. Burncycle

Burncycle Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nice setup

I'm the same way, my "day hike" pack is set up like an over nighter just in case I get stuck out someplace -- Grand Trunk Nano hammock, tarp, bug-net, and some sort of insulation (poncho liner or small sleeping bag if it's a cool night) all in my Vanquest 20

mtwarden and Denman like this.
  3. DogDays

DogDays Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's a well thought out setup, I really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden likes this.
  4. t.darrah

t.darrah Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My warm weather system is the same but different (and higher $);

1) MLD SL Bivy @ 6 oz
    2) MLD Spirit 48 Quilt @ 12 oz
    3) MLD Monk Tarp (cuben) @ 6 oz
    4) Klymit Inertia X Lite Pad @ 6 oz

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    jeremyctry, rsnurkle and mtwarden like this.
  5. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Previous conversation has told me we think along similar lines but I don't actually have a dedicated mild weather set-up at the moment
    Perhaps I should make another one separate to my hunting pack
    Is the SOL Escape bivvy really worth considering ?

mtwarden likes this.
  6. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    Thom- Nice kit! I still have a higher end (replete w/ lots of cuben) setup :) it's usually reserved for overnighters; this one gets packed a lot more as I day hike a lot more than do overnighters

Moondog- this kit resides in my hunting pack too, nice to have a little insurance policy if I'm late (and lucky) getting an elk out

yeah the Escape is much different (and better) than all of their other offerings- their other bags/bivies simply don't breathe at all and while they hold some heat in, you're likely going to be very damp

I have an eVENT bivy (top), cuben (bottom) that's really nice, but at a significantly higher price- the Escape is much more reasonably priced- lower volume and lighter, perfect for throwing in a day pack

7. t.darrah

Blog Posts:
    Adventurous day trips or planned overnighters my summer kit stays the same (only the pack size changes). For long day trip adventures I use the MLD Core 1300 and for planned overnighter outings the Core 1700. I also have the eVent top/cuben bottom MLD Soul Bivy that gets used for colder and wetter adventures.

mtwarden likes this.
  8. Jason Herman

Jason Herman Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Have you ever slept in that configuration and if so, how was your experience?

mtwarden likes this.
  9. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Love this system. I have been trying to lighten my load as well. Threads like this are great. Thanks.

mtwarden likes this.
  10. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You will be so glad that you put this together if you ever get stuck out longer than you planned. I just have one of the the little AMK emergency bivvies but I think your post is going to put me over the edge and get me to upgrade one of these escape bivvies for this purpose.

mtwarden likes this.
  11. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    Thom- I have the same two packs :)- the 1300 pictured above is X-Pac, it was a small special run Ron had for a short time- makes a great hunting/off-trail pack day pack, didn't add too much weight, but lots tougher stuff and with seam sealing near waterproof

only once, it was a pretty mild night- guessing it was upper 40's and it was cozy- a little condensation, but acceptable; I think it would be fine into the lower 40's- much below that I'm thinking it would start getting a little chilly

the gal at work said she would be build me another quilt, so I ordered some 3.6 Apex (and more ripstop)- 3.6 should be a solid 40 degrees, with the bivy and extra clothing near freezing- I'll throw this quilt in during fall and winter outings; I'm guess the quilt will still be sub 16 ozs (or very, very close)

Smokey Radley and rsnurkle like this.
  12. t.darrah

Blog Posts:
    I've used and slept in the configuration listed many times, I've been very pleased with overall performance!

Smokey Radley and mtwarden like this.
  13. mbiraman

mbiraman Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Good kit. I'm in the same situation as you in that i hike alone and in area's where others don't go. Been working on lightening my load for day hikes which for me, where i live, usually means more $$ over the internet. Having had fails with bivy's in the past i'm reluctant to go there but i'll have a look at the Event offering. I made an Apex quilt a couple of years ago, very light. Haven't turned it int a poncho like the HPG unit but may still do that yet. Thanks for posting.

mtwarden likes this.
  14. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    OMG That bivvy is $140- here, I can't afford that
    I think I'll stick with what I know works reasonably and what I use for my winter kit at half the cost
    http://www.terrarosagear.com/sleeping-covers
    It's the same thing I use as a partial VB liner when it is really really cold

Red Ochre and mtwarden like this.
  15. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
  16. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    That's an impressive setup, a low-cost *and* lightweight *and* low bulk shelter system. This made me think (which is always good, if sometimes distracting) about a few things:

- if low price was not a consideration, I think something like the Gatewood Cape could be a significant improvement in protection from the elements when (if you're using this kit) you're most likely to be hunkering down. Mainly because it can provide a more enclosed shelter for those extra 4oz over a 5x8' flat tarp (at least for all of the tarp configurations I know).

- are you intentionally looking to boost sleeping warmth with this system by using the reflective AMK bivy, versus a non-reflective bivy (like what t.darrah mentioned)?

- how would the breathable AMK bivy work with down insulation? On my in-the-far-future wish list is an ~19oz 0*F down top quilt, which again, does not optimize for a lower price, but may not be too bulky to put into a daypack, and would be an awesome improvement in overnight comfortably.

I like the discussion happening here: you have a low-cost, mostly backup gear option, and t.darrah has offered the comparison of a high-cost, but "so lightweight that it's easy to bring on a dayhike" primary overnighter gear.

mtwarden likes this.
  17. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    A lot is to do with our 10% GST and that the Aussie dollars is now only worth $US 0.70
    Thinking about local conditions a mosquito net might be more important than warmth sometimes but No-See-Um mesh is only 23 GSM so a even a full netting cover with support strings would only add about 200 grams

mtwarden likes this.
  18. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    the Gatewood cape is a nice looking piece of kit; it doubles as rain gear so multi-purpose too; but as you point out quite a bit more expensive than a simple sil flat tarp

the Escape bivy does boost temps a little more than a "normal" bivy, but mainly chosen for cost and the fact that it's going to get knocked around some

there is some condensation w/ the Escape, but would probably be fine with down; Apex chosen for cost and knock around appeal

I have a very similar setup to Thom, but I usually reserve it for overnighters- it's a pricey setup and while not delicate, I'd rather have this less expensive setup when I'm bushwacking through timber, scrambling in granite, etc

a simple headnet- about an ounce, would probably do the trick in my neck of the woods- for really buggy environs you're probably right, a full enclosure would be worthwhile

19. t.darrah

Blog Posts:
    The gear listed is not inexpensive but being of highest quality the cost is well justified. All the items are starting summer number three in my kit rotation and showing little if any sign of wear, a solid investment for sure.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    Exy and mtwarden like this.
  20. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I do the same thing but often pack my Equinox Siltarp with extension rather than my MEST or ID SilTarp 1. Don't get me wrong both of those are great and see time in the woods but the poncho with extension is longer and more multi function. Still any tarp is so darn useful. I almost want to do a thread on knife vs. poncho/tarp for pure day pack usefulness but fear it will be taken the wrong way as some have strong feeling about knives. Also too much this vs that online already. I have a UL DWR top, Silnylon bottom Bivy and a SOL (gotten before the company changed it's name to SOL) bivy as well. On a side note I am uploading video and pics of some bug net under poncho/small tarp commercial solutions as do like to sleep under them but hate bugs. Will post a thread on that tomorrow. I had some bad experiences using just a bug face net mask though also have a few of them.

rsnurkle and mtwarden like this.
  21. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think we'd all agree that everybody should carry something; and that the "Something" should be a little better than the usual foil casualty blanket and a bandana.
    But we are all either old boy scouts or amongst the converted aren't we?

mtwarden likes this.
  22. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    Have you'll considered 'hot tenting' it?

I tried the Palmer Furnace concept a few more times this winter -- never a full night out but one candle's worth each time.

Previously, I had tried it with a east european surplus poncho thing and it worked well with a mini-candle lantern ( the tea light kind); it was too hot with the full sized ECO one. Someone else here had a similar experience.

This winter I tried it at freezing to high 30s and windy, up in WV with the following:

Sit pad, casualty blanket and USGI Poncho with both the mini-candle lantern and a beeswax candle stub/blob thing, both worked and I was scavenging heat to the point light blowing snow was melting on contract with the poncho. This combo is a bit heavy, north of 2lbs, but both big pieces are multi-use items. I tend t have the sit pad and casualty blank with me all the time. I propped the inside of poncho up a bit with a handy stick, but I doubt the poncho would catch fire easily with a tiny candle flame.

I tried it with just the casualty blanket and sit pad, but couldn't get a decent wrap - wind seal to make it work.

Another night, more snow - less wind; I tried it with a sit pad, trap (diamond pitch with ends folded in) , and an AMK 2p heat sheet that had been knocking around for a few years in my PSK and had wear spots on the corners. Worked with both the little candle blobs and the mini-lantern. Still around 2lbs, as it was a 10x10 tarp.

I keep intending to try it with just a contractor trash bag and the same with a cheap-o emergency blanket. I could save a lot of weight with a modern poncho, but haven't had much luck with the super-light ones keeping me dry when used as intended. I'm getting 2.5hrs of heat out of the candles, so you gotta reload at some point. The mini-lantern is worthless as a light source, but makes me feel safer under the plastic than an open flame. There wasn't much condensation -- your head is outside with some setups and the tarp setup had a lot of ventilation. I think this system will work better then an insulation layer if you are already cold and wet. Here on the east coast, if I get my butt in a sling, I am likely to be wet as well as cold. Back in Utah, not so much.

This approach saves some weight and time finding a spot by not laying down. Sleeping sitting up tends to work better with my back unless I find an excellent spot to lie down. YMMV.

I've got a new 2p heatsheet and 5 beeswax candle blobs in my PSKs. I added a small piece of foil to put under the blobs. I think that will extend them a bit. I'm now out of the beeswax blobs because mice got into the bag in the basement and can't find the website of the guy making them -- I'm almost certain I found them thru this site.

Smokey Radley, Exy, Seeker and 2 others like this.
  23. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    rsnurkle and The Woodsrunner like this.
  24. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great minimalist set-up for an unplanned overnight. Also have seen your ultra-light weekender kit spreadsheet - amazing! Love these minimalist threads and ideas that come out of it.

Here's my spin on the theme, with the Gatewood Cape mentioned above, but it's more for planned overnights. Not nearly as cost efficient, and a pound heavier @ 3lb 3oz, but it does includes rain gear, a full bug net, and arguably, a bit lower temp rating sleeping bag. The "kitchen" shown is another 1lb 2oz, incl. fuel for boiling ~1 gal. of water (or inebriating a couple folks).

[​IMG]

25. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    I dont know how I missed that thread. I think this a technique that requires practice.

I still haven't seen those AMK poncho's in stores. They look bigger than pocket sized online.

I found the beeswax candle stubs, I don't think this is where I bought them, but its a well known site:

http://www.bestglide.com/bees_wax_survival_candle.html

mtwarden likes this.
  26. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    Reppans- nice setup! Gatewood cape looks very nice :)

Jean- the AMK/SOL poncho is pretty nice for a very minimal kit, same material as their Heatsheets- which is fairly durable- doubles as emergency rain wear
    I've been using the Exotac slow burn candles, both the Nano and small sizes

Bush Hacker likes this.
  27. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice outfit, Here's mine, USGI poncho and space blanket in my Finn GM day pack to make a Taco wrap for unexpected overnight under a quick brush shelter. This is basic unexpected over night gear, comfort factor will be low and you will only be cat napping anyway.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Backyard and rsnurkle like this.
  28. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    ^ weather out, warmth in :)

29. Hasco

Hasco Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is a great thread! I would like to try and make a climashield apex quilt like that. I am wondering if you have any tips on where to get materials or diy instructions.

Thanks!!!

mtwarden likes this.
  30. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    you bet :)

here's the instructions I (actually she :4:) used

https://kringlelight.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/sin50_guide.pdf

you can Climashield Apex from here:
    http://thru-hiker.com/materials/insulation.php
    or here:

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/insulation

roughly 2.5 equates to a 50 degree quilt, 3.6 40 degrees and 5.0 30 degrees

you can get the ripstop nylon (and other little bits) here:

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/pages/fabric

or here(looks like they have 3.6 Apex too):

https://diygearsupply.com/

31. River Yeti

River Yeti Tracker

Blog Posts:
    How is the durability of the Escape bivy? They don't strike me as something you could get more than a couple uses out of, but I've not actually used one so I wouldn't know for sure.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mtwarden likes this.
  32. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Does durability really matter too much in what is essentially an emergency use item?
    But if it is as tough as soft structure Tyvek I would guess it is durable enough for many uses, I've been using my Tyvek SB cover for 4 years and about 100 nites so far

mtwarden likes this.
  33. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    pretty durable; barring a big hole/tear- I think you could easily get dozens of nights out of it

34. t.darrah

Blog Posts:
    Tyvek can be used for MYOG projects, I've done multiple no sew tyvek bivys.

rsnurkle and mtwarden like this.
  35. Cheapeats

Cheapeats Guide

Blog Posts:
    Summer time it is a heavy duty red trashbag we use these at work for disposal of dead fish to being sent to the crematory a space blanket and a small fleece throw and a few chemical hand warmers for shelter I have a civilian version of the army poncho in red, and a crap load of cord. For winter months I add a poncho liner. I am generally never more than 5 miles from my car,

Seacapt., rsnurkle and mtwarden like this.
  36. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mtwarden- I really like your SOL Poncho idea for a minimal kit. Nice review and write up.

I have a SOL Escape Bivvy. Its a awesome product, durability is good for multi use and it is very light weight.
    I paired mine up with a Snugpak Jungle Bag for a emergency kit. Its biggest advantage of the Escape Bivvy is the size and the ability to keep it compressed.

mischief and mtwarden like this.
  37. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you're making a quilt, consider this Kifaru Climashield Apex Woobie Express (now discontinued) as a template. Like the Gatewood Cape, it's dual purpose covering both insulated poncho and sleeping quilt. Far warmer than an equivalent weight down jacket (1lb) due to the "mitten effect" (sitting Indian-style, all limbs inside). Add a UCO candle lantern in the protected triangle of your legs in that same position (Palmer furnace) and it's toasty down to ~0F.

I pair it with my above post (inside my 45F sleeping bag) for ~25F nights, and of course, it negates the need for a separate down jacket.

Old picture:
    [​IMG]

rsnurkle, mtwarden and Traditionalist like this.
  38. Hasco

Hasco Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Man, this is so great!! I am going to try this (with the help of my wife who actually knows how to sew:4:).

Thanks so much!!!

mtwarden likes this.
  39. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Reppans your post just reminded me to put the UCO lantern in my winter day bag
    Thanx

mtwarden likes this.
  40. River Yeti

River Yeti Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I think it does matter. He impies that he has used the setup several times. Does he need to purchase a new bivy every time he uses it, or does he re-pack it and plan to use it for another emergency use later? Sounds like it can be used multiple times, which is good to know.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    mtwarden likes this.
  41. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I think this review of the Escape bivy might be relevant for the durability question about it:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    mtwarden likes this.
  42. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    good video :) I disagree with his temp rating; I sleep on the warm side and without the light quilt ( even w/ it) I would have frozen at 32 degrees; alive, but damn cold!

I also like his mod, the bivy fits me, but if I was any bigger I would definitely consider modding it. I wonder if tyvek would be a better choice than a reflective tarp though- still water resistant and more breathable, maybe he chose it for the reflective material???

43. jaffcat

jaffcat Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You guys should check this out.... I've brought one, but it's unused as yet...
    Bigger than the SOL and has tie outs for use as a shelter.

http://www.2gosystems.com/products/trifecta

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Jean, mtwarden and rsnurkle like this.
  44. remington79

remington79 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like to hike to and am always by myself. I'll show my wife where I'll be on a map and when I should be back. The last few years I've been having medical issues act up so needing an overnight kit is important. If the issue was to occur I wouldn't be walking that day and the next day. I wouldn't even be able to set up a tarp. Because of this I take a Kifaru Woobie that has combat Climashield and a USGI bivy. I like how the SOL is lighter but it doesn't have much in the way of a zipper. It's too short and will be too hard for me to get inside. At some point I'll add a MEST but I'm going in the direction that I'm immobilized.

mtwarden likes this.
  45. Black Bison Outdoors

Black Bison Outdoors Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Like the ideas

mtwarden likes this.
  46. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    You should seriously look into a satellite communicator like the Delorme Inreach. Plans at $15/mo will provide a lot of peace of mind and 2-way comms anywhere in the world.

mtwarden, remington79 and wolfpack like this.
  47. remington79

remington79 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've thought about it. If I get around to upgrading my GPS I was thinking about the Delorme just because of that. Last I heard you needed a smart phone and I don't have one right now. For now I do tell my wife where I am and directions to the trailhead. I tell her if she doesn't hear from me by midnight that she is then to call for help. (this is for day hikes) I know its not perfect especially if it is an overnight hike. At least I'm more proactive and better equipped and prepared than probably 80 to 90 percent of the people on the trail.

It's less expensive but I even thought the SPOT would be of use. It doesn't have a button that you can use for a pre-recorded message so at least you can check in and say you're late but are ok. I forgot about the InReach since I've been looking at switching to Garmin for my next GPS. It's just the initial capital that needs to be spent first.

mtwarden and reppans like this.
  48. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah the Inreach needs the map functionality to work as a real GPS and so needs the smartphone for that. Course smartphones and apps are so good now, you can simply use that as a stand alone GPS (no cell service required). Garmin now owns Delorme, so it's probably just a matter of time before we get the fully integrated GPS/Satcom in one handheld unit.

I'm like you in that I usually do adventure travel alone, and now have a potential medical condition that can disable me in the woods (just a bad knee though). For that, reasonably priced 2-way comms are a must for me as I'm much more likely to request a taxi to a pick me up at the next trailhead, than have the S&R cavalry come in with helicopters. I'm also a motorcyclist and RV enthusiast and have had electrical/mechanical breakdowns in remote locations where 2-way comms are the difference between an annoyance, and a huge PITA. And lastly, I still have a feisty teen at home and so may need to be summoned home on short notice.

Satcom seems pretty expensive considering the initial cost and monthly service, but for me and my mid-50s aging body, when the alternative is simply not to go, the cost seems like a drop in the bucket.

FWIW, I've had a Garmin 60csx handheld for ~decade and now only use it for road nav (motorcycle, RV, car)... iPhone and Gaia App, or Inreach and Earthmate App have replaced it for the trail.

mtwarden and remington79 like this.
  49. Mannlicher

Mannlicher Guide

Blog Posts:
    I carry a small 5X7 BCUSA tarp, and a space blanket in my day pack. It makes a great sun shelter when stopping for lunch in an area with few trees, and it's always there if I need to over night. Don't really need much other than that.

mtwarden and beacon like this.
  50. Self Reliantist

Self Reliantist Scout

Blog Posts:
    WOW, when did that happen?

Norm

mtwarden likes this.