Smoke out in the disposable Tee Pee . Problem solved

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by riverjoe, Jan 20, 2013.

1. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Built the teepee as described in postmans thread as found by gumbi . 20 X 10 foot tarp formed into a 20 foot diameter semi circle with 10 foot radius .
    Measure 6 equal segments along the circumferance and attach tie downs . Cut out smoke flaps and attach at top . Find six dead Ash saplings . Make a tripod and then just lean the others on .

This supposedly makes a 10 diameter teepee but with sagging etc its a bit less . So I added the left over plastic to the bottom as a skirt .

Find two more saplings to attach smoke flaps to . Adjust smoke flaps to form venturi .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found the interior to be too smoky for me even tho flaps are drawing well it seems fire will have to be split wood and burnt hot .
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    Remembered a couple of years ago I was boiling maple sap down on top of a Dakota fire pit and in order to intensify the heat a bit I formed a tube of aluminum around the pot . Even tho aluminum has a relatively low melting point it does not get that hot in this application .

So with the tube slightly tapered it forms a sort of hobo stove that carries the smoke right to the vent hole and smoke flaps .

[​IMG]

This weekend I think Ill carry this to our Bloodroot campout for a retreat from the cold if necessary .

Ill probabley build a bit of a dirt stove with banks around the sides and the tube on top .

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  3. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    Im sure it would help . I remember somebody posting about a dakota fire pit in the center of his teepee . He said he used two trenches one in one out . Thats a lot of digging in frozen dirt however .

4. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    you need an inner wall running from the floor to about four feet high...then hike up the outer wall a few inches to create a draft...thats how its done on genuine tp's...woods

5. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    Ahah that makes sense . You would create a draft with that arangement with or without a fire .
    Well for now its the aluminum tube cause this teepee is staying at the campsight buried in a bag for the spring get together I think . Its as fancy as it's going to get .

I would like to create a light weight canvas one tho so Ill use that method on that one .

Thanks woods

6. Davros

Davros Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I can see myself warming up in there this weekend :D

7. Grillsgt

Grillsgt Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Ditto on this I have a traditional western plains tipi and it has an interior Linning that creates a draft
    This is my tipi
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see the liner with the fire going
    [​IMG]
    I set the tipi about 6 inches off the ground because the liner is about 4 ft up the sides and 3-4 ft on the floor

8. Bush Otter

Bush Otter Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Joe native tribes in some country I can't rember but they lived in yurts had a shallow trench across the floor of the yurt running air in and out.

9. Prof

Prof Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    You might try a DIY Sibley stove. I found pictures on Google and it is a cone of sheet metal that tapers to the size .of your stove pipe. This would put out a lot of heat and end the smoking. It would also be light to haul in. The tipi poles connect to an iron ring at the top so the pipe can exit. There is no bottom in the stove, so you build your fire right on the ground. If the door were cut at ground level, you could get coals out for cooking, and the draft would pull the smoke up the stack.

In the 1860s the army used these stoves in the large, cone-shaped Sibley tents that would shelter 12 men.

I wanted a Sibley tent with a stove like this, but I built my Adirondack shelter for less money than the tent cost!

Sibley stove.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  10. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    That teepee is one a guy could live in ! That is sweet .

11. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    I thougnt about makeing the cone out of some sheet metal I had in the barn but then I remember I have to haul this dude two miles or so to the campsight . That is unless I can get one of the younger guys to give me a hand ( hint hint)
    Then I have to find 8 straight dead saplings or branches about 12 feet long . I guess we could get by with just three .

Ive seen picks of your cabin if thats what you mean and that thing is awesome . Do you have another shelter besides ?

One of these days Ill learn how to do multiple quotes on a post . Is there a tutorial somewhere ?

Hop . Must be the Mongols , clever folks ,just ask all of the known world east of the Eurals in the 11 th or 12 th century .

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013