Snugpak jungle bag or jungle blanket?

Discussion in 'Sleep Systems' started by Foilist, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Foilist

Foilist Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'd like a new lightweight bag or blanket that I can use in warm weather or to supplement my cold weather bag. I'm trying to decide between the Snugpak Jungle Bag or the Snugpak Jungle Blanket, like the title says.

Anyone have one, the other, or both? Which would you get and why?

Brew-Jitsu and Crick like this.
  2. Doubles

Doubles BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have the jungle blanket, it's an ok piece of kit. No huge improvement over a MilSurp woobie, in my opinion. I have one of those as well, and usually take the jungle blanket, so , maybe I do have a preference....

3. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have the blankets since I have broad shoulders and they work better for me. They can also be used in conjunction with a hammock.

I believe the bags have a face net which can be useful.

4. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am feeling rough and setting under a jungle blanket in the living room o_O right now , they are very versatile
    Roy

Tiwaz, Subdood and SoreFeet like this.
  5. Crick

Crick Scout

Blog Posts:
    Maybe this will help you make up your mind........just minutes ago, I purchased a jungle blanket in OD from Amazon.....they are on sale right now for $24. That's half the cost of the bag. Looks like there are about a dozen left in stock.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Subdood likes this.
  6. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the jungle blanket and use it in warm weather rather than lugging a sleeping bag. I find it warm down to about the 45-50 degree range. In cooler weather I use it inside my sleeping bag, which greatly increases the bag warmth. Everyone's mileage will vary however.

7. bodhran4me

bodhran4me Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Jungle Blanket:

76x64
    25 oz
    pack size 6x6
    No zips or ties
    No netting
    CompressionSack

Jungle Bag:

86x64 (unfolded - as a SB would be 86x32)
    30 oz
    pack size 6x7
    Zips at head for net, foot, sides
    Mosquito netting at face/head
    Compression Sack

Woobie:

82x62
    23 oz ???
    Pack size ??
    Ties
    No netting
    No stuff sack

It appears from my research the Snugpak products are more windproof and water resistant than the woobie.

I am a taller fellow ( 6'2" ish?don't really know) and190-200 lb and have used the woobie quite comfortably,but the added length , zips and netting vs the extra weight has me leaning toward the Jungle Bag come spring and the bugs.

NB : Specs were gathered from snugpak website and the web in general. I do not own either Snugpak product, but will soon.....

Subdood and Jean like this.
  8. ROCK6

ROCK6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have both and as shown the Jungle Bag is about 10" longer, and of course has a zipper to use as a sleeping bag along with the sewn in head net. Between the two, the versatility of the Jungle Bag makes it a better choice than the Jungle Blanket. The Jungle Blanket is still a good deal compared to an issued poncho liner and I think is a better insulator.

ROCK6

Foilist likes this.
  9. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    how warm is the blanket compared to a USGI poncho liner. I need something warmer and wind resistant in the deer blind...

10. Foilist

Foilist Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well, it looks like the bag can be used as a blanket, so more versatility there.

11. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't have the blanket, but I bought 2 of the bags. I am 6'1 and I have plenty of room in the bag. Also, they make their bags so you can zip 2 together to make 1 really big bag. Had to use that function once with my son in the hammock (he slept great, me not so much...having 60 pounds of squirming 5 year old does not make for a great night sleep). The bags also completely unzip, so you can use it like a blanket if that helps.

J

12. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I bought one of the blankets and I love it. All summer long I used a sheet that I cut down and re-sewed over my sleeping pad and used the jungle blanket on top. It works great down into the 50's. I use it as a throw on the couch. My wife wants one of her own now as she uses it on the couch more than I do. Last week I was in Baltimore all week staying at my mom's apartment to help her after surgery, and I brought the blanket with me and slept on her living room floor with it. To me, it is a great piece of kit and a huge improvement over the woobie blanket.

Birdman and geneaut like this.
  13. Fretful7

Fretful7 III Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have only used the blanket, and find it quite useful.
    Can't beat the size when packed, light weight, somewhat water resistant.
    One day, I will probably pick up the bag just for sharts and giggles.
    I have heard good things about the Snugpak Softie Elite series bags as well, but that might not fit the need you have for warmer weather applications.

14. ra2bach

Blog Posts:
    now we're getting somewhere! if you don't mind, can you say why you think it's better than a USGI poncho liner (woobie)? warmer?..

Subdood likes this.
  15. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    It's warmer, it's softer, it molds around your body more, it's more packable and comes with a compression sack.

Odie, Subdood, designtom and 2 others like this.
  16. ra2bach

Blog Posts:
    what's not to like, right?

it is smaller though but that's not a problem for me because I want to use it as a shoulder/leg drape for sitting in a deer stand. all the things you mention make it better than the woobie for this.

Subdood likes this.
  17. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Scout

Blog Posts:
    Got the blanket. It was 1" thick, not the 2" they advertised and still advertise. That makes a big difference in insulation value. Otherwise, well-made.

Subdood likes this.
  18. ra2bach

Blog Posts:
    on your say so here I want ahead and ordered the blanket for $24 and I am glad I did. you're right, this is a level above the typical woobie for warmth and drapability. not as big overall as a woobie but for what I want, which is a leg drape in the hunting blind it's perfect.

thanks...

Subdood and Crazysanman like this.
  19. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice chart, those who have the details should add the kirafu, HPG, and jeervenbag offerings

Subdood likes this.
  20. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Feeling a little rough was an under statement ended up spending 5day in the hospital :2: back home and still under my jungle blanket close as I will get to the woods for a while:(

Subdood and Crazysanman like this.
  21. SVTvin

SVTvin Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just off you saying that went to amazon and bought the blanket in OD aswell, 26 bucks with tax and itll be here saturday

Subdood and Crick like this.
  22. Crick

Crick Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah.....I went back and bought a few more to give out as Christmas gifts. They come perfect to just throw in car trunk for winter time.

They are certainly warmer than my woobie. Been keeping the thermostat in the mid 60s in the evening. Sitting around in jeans or waffle thermals under a drafty window and I would want a blanket draped over me. In 15 minutes I will be uncomfortably warm and either sticking legs out or kicking it off all together.

Two thoughts: I'm 5'9" and wish it had the length of my woobie. I don't know that I would say its too short but I do miss the extra length. Also, I find it kinda annoying that the two sides are only sewn together around the edges and nothing at all in the middle. Tends to get twisted up a little at times if you toss and turn.

Subdood likes this.
  23. SVTvin

SVTvin Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Actually got home from work and its on my porch. Gotta love amazon prime, i really only bought it for the early morning surf casting in fall or spring that time of year when its chilly in the Morning than by noon its 70-80. With how good your making it sound i may go buy some more haha

Subdood and Crick like this.
  24. PA Jaeger

PA Jaeger Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have 2 of the Jungle bags, my only complaint is the crappy zipper on it, constantly breaks and separates after being zipped up.

I do use it in combination with my Kifaru woobie and am pretty good for most 2-3 season camp outs.

The snugpak poncho liner has sleeves and a hood and is a pretty solid field expedient sleep system if you need it (same insulation as the bag and blanket.

25. Dave L.

Dave L. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have 2-3 Jungle Bags and one Jungle Blanket. The blanket is really nice for the kids in the car. I really like the versatility of the JB; having a zipper and bug net is pretty awesome and can still be turned into a blanket.

I would have a couple of each. I think the Jungle bag is a better product than the USGI Poncho Liner (heresy!).

The blankets go on sale for $25 on Amazon regularly. It's worth it.

26. Dave L.

Dave L. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Have you thought about a SOL Escape Bivvy?

I have actually been meaning to try a SnugPak Junlge Bag/Escape Bivvy combo to see how low of temps it can handle.

27. sgtdave4321

sgtdave4321 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I have the jungle blanket and the escape bivy. I think both are great. I am not sure how cold the combo would keep you comforatable though. I slept out in about 40 degrees in just the escape bivy and I was fine. Due to a gear failure my jungle blanke got wet and I couldnt use it. If I would have been able to use it Iwould have been super comfortable in the combo.

28. Mannlicher

Mannlicher Guide

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a Snugpak Jungle blanket. I have been using a USGI Woobie with fair results. The box from Amazon got here after I got back from the camping trip I wanted to use the product for, but I had to chuckle, reading all the literature that came with the blanket, about it being made in UK and such, then read on the tag that mine was made in China.

Broke likes this.