So Who is Shootin Their Airguns for Their Plinkin Fix??

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Dutch.22, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Dutch.22

Dutch.22 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Being that there is such a shortage of reloading components, rimfire ammo, and center fire stuff...

How many of you fellas are plinking with your airguns??

I have shot airguns most of my life. They keep my rifle shooting skills sharp as can be. I use my airguns for pest removal, hunting, paper punching, plinking, and field target. That field target game has made me deadly when it comes to head hunting squirrels.

I squirrel hunt with either .177 or .22 and always go for a head shot. I try for the area by the ear as if my shot falls alittle more toward the nose I am still in moa of noggin and if it falls alittle more toward the neck...welp that too is an anchored squirrel.

BTW I shoot precharged pneumatics and springers...

check out yellowforum.com

2. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have rabbits in my backyard on a regular basis, one in particular, I call him #6.
    Humane head shot at 45 ft is easy.

3. redrooster1700

redrooster1700 Scout

Blog Posts:
    i enjoy it as well. i can just sit for hours in the backyard holding that thing just looking for things to hit!

4. PaulK

PaulK Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Raises hand.

5. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My air rifle fix comes after the flowers bloom. Bumble bees.

6. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
  7. brian

brian Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am.

8. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yo Dutch! I'm "Astro" over on the yellow :57:

9. askari

askari Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Guilty. Broke down and bought an RWS 34. It provides a quality imitation of the real thing. It helps with the basics of proper shooting technique and saves me the 50 mile round trip to the range.
    I did luck into a vendor that has 22 lr but the cheapest fodder is almost $9 per 50.

Besides I don't want to burn up all my rimfire. Half of it is for my grown daughters if the need ever arises.

10. Bridge

Bridge Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yep, bees and wasps make for some fun practice..you've just got to make sure you hit 'em with the first shot :54:

11. VinWild

VinWild Scout

Blog Posts:
    One of my favorite past-time's and certainly one of the best training tools for precision marksmanship.
    I have shot hundreds of thousands of pellets from a variety of air rifles; and still, can't get enough.
    Distance practice with silhouette's simulating extreme ranges is way too much fun :18:

12. Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Scout

Blog Posts:
    yep.....longtime airgunner here

'drif

13. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I really like my Ruger Air Hawk. I take it squirrel hunting. I have to watch shooting in the back yard because it has put pellets right through the slats in my 6' wooden privacy fence.

[​IMG]

14. Kristopher

Kristopher Scout

Blog Posts:
    About 5 years ago I moved and went from shooting 3 or 4 times a month to one pre deer season range trip a year. My marksmanship skills had gotten really rusty to say the least. I had started to get the air gun itch, but GreyOne's February challenge really motivated me to get started. Now I have a 10 yard range set up in my basement. I've bought 2 new air guns and started reading anything I can find about rifle skills. I'm shooting almost every night and having a great time with it.

I currently have 3 air guns

Daisy 880 BB/pellet rifle, a Crosman 1077 CO2 .177 pellet rifle and a Crosman 1322 .22 cal pistol. I'll try to post some pictures tonight.

15. outdoorsintx

outdoorsintx Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don't have an air gun yet but I have worn out a set of bands on my sling shot. I had one break from wear and tear last week and had to replace them. I'm still not very good. I need a lot more practice.

16. central joe

central joe Scout

Blog Posts:
    been shooting them for years, year round. also hunt squirrels with them when in season. joe

17. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    well, speaking of airguns, i am interested in a spring type, so i won't be tied to cartridges. squirrels would be the mammalian target of choice; just shooting the rest of time. so, brand? .177 or .22? under $200, please; open sights only ...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  18. Beal

Beal Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a few multi pump 117 Daisy pellet rifles, they are pretty fun plinking. ide like to get a better one though, ultimately a PCP rifle... but Ide be happy with a nicer multi pump or springer. Problem is, they arnt exactly in my price range(donations anyone? lol).

And that reminds me, I need to get another tin of pellets

19. ohski

ohski Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yep... Picked up a Gamo Bone Collector Whisper in .177 a while back and have been plinking around with my buddy's sons. Not very loud with standard pellets but when you shoot the gold or platinum ones I might as well be shooting a rimfire rifle. Not a big deal at my buddy's house but here in town it's too much.

I need to make a trap to shoot at... my to do list keeps growing.

Ski

20. Pantucci

Pantucci Scout

Blog Posts:
    Love shooting my airgun in the backyard-- my current favorite is the Benjamin Trail, a powerful, accurate break-barrel .22.

21. demonfurbie

demonfurbie Scout

Blog Posts:
    i need to get one to play around with ... ive never really looked at them till now cause 22 ammo is rarer than gold

22. tkdlaxer

tkdlaxer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Oh wow, what an awesome, fun sounding idea.

23. Yellow Lab

Yellow Lab Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  24. Two Bears

Two Bears Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I love my Gamo, I want to get one of there pistols to practice with. These make a good substitute for the real stuff.

25. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been sneaking my son's Daisy Buck BB gun out to my 'range' in the garage. Made a flipper target out of scraps from projects.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. tree-ratsniper

tree-ratsniper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Benjamin/Sheridan fan here, but I still need to make meat with the RWS I received from central joe (thanks again Joe).

27. Juice

Juice Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bought an Airhawk just so I could plink during this stupid ammo craze. I wish I had bought it ages ago. It's a ton of fun getting to shoot anytime I want in the yard. The Airhawk was priced right and it handles very nice.

28. Dutch.22

Dutch.22 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You should check out the Crosman Website....

You could look into a precharged pneumatic airpistol. I have 2 1720Ts. Its a single shot bolt action pistol that can do a 5 shot nickle sized group @ 55 yards if there is no wind, and I do my part.

Sure there is cost involved upfront, but the precision that you can get from these pistols and not to mention the adjustability of the trigger....makes them hard to beat.

2 years ago I head shot a rabbit from 27 yards away off my front porch.

29. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Not to get hard core survivalist here, but I remember reading stuff by Mel Tappan in the early 80's about air rifles as good things to have if times get hard (or just wierd). It made sense then and it sure makes sense now. You've got to have pellets though. Still available right now.

30. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    If one spends 100 that will get you about 10,000 pellets.

I've been thinking about it....

I have a 1322/1377 for lightweight carry along pistols. I have a 2100 also.

What I don't like is pellets are hard to handle with gloves on for the winter.

I might just pick up a 760 with a lot of clips.

I wonder about a "range/hunting gun" at the same weight as a real firearm. I would like a clip and either bolt action or semi auto. I haven't priced out the costs yet for the co2 or pcp for refilling, but it seems one could have a fun "semi auto" for paper punching and working on form.

31. Kristopher

Kristopher Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just got a Crosman 1077. It is a co2 semi auto pellet rifle that looks and feels like a Ruger 1022. I get about 45 shots out of a co2 cartridge. Between cartridges and pellets it costs me about 2.5 cents per shot.

32. demonfurbie

demonfurbie Scout

Blog Posts:
    i wonder can you cast your own pellets like reg bullets?

33. scottman

scottman Guide

Blog Posts:
    There was a guy who had something for sale along the casting lines, out of the UK I believe. I would be a very slow process.

How do you load the 1077, does it have a mag similar to a real firearm?

thanks

34. Raider197500

Raider197500 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm Raider197500 on yellow forums I have a jack Haley .457 .I'm running 3800 psi through

35. Kristopher

Kristopher Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was bored the other night and looked into smelting the mangled lead out of my trap and recasting it into pellets. Casting hollow based bullets like a pellet is supposed to be a pain in the neck. Most of what I found about making pellets said that they are swaged in a press out of a lead rod. I guess you could cast the correct diameter rod and then swag it into pellets, but it would be a lot of work.

The 1077 technically works like a double action revolver. There is a magazine that drops out of the bottom of the rifle and holds a 12 shot rotary clip. The trigger is pretty heavy and long just like a DA revolver. I've shot enough DA revolvers that the trigger pull doesn't really bother me, but I do plan to replace the return spring behind the trigger and polish up the action to try and make it a little lighter and smoother.

36. bharner

bharner Guide

Blog Posts:
    I picked up my first "adult" air gun, a Crosman 1377, that I did some work to last year. I'm a big fan of it. Squirrels at 25 yards with a pellet in the eyeball and rabbits out to 15-20 yards, same deal. A good bit of extra meat in my freezer this year from the little buggers.

But I'm looking for a .22 air rifle. Last year I started reading about the Stoeger X20S which, at the time, was supposed to be one of the quietest air rifles that was in the ~$200 price range. I shoot a lot in town and don't want to scare the neighbors.
    I've also heard good things about the Benjamin NP Trail. They're close in price and, according to pyramidair, noise level. I've also started seeing the Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk that has similar stats but is $50 cheaper AND, per pyrmaid, is a little quieter.
    Any thoughts? I don't mind doing some tinkering and upgrades along the way (hence the 1377. It's got almost as many options as an AR)

Benjamin Trail NP:
    http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Trail_NP_Nitro_Piston_air_rifle_combo/2049

Crosman Venom Dusk:
    http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_Nitro_Venom_Dusk_Air_Rifle/2468#sSpec

Stoeger:
    http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Stoeger_Arms_X20S_Suppressor_Air_Rifle/2406

37. FJ40Mumbles

FJ40Mumbles Scout

Blog Posts:
    San Bernardino,in the Repulic of Kalifornia
    I do guilty as charged but I also get the kids and wife involved too its good family fun in my book :9:

38. Dutch.22

Dutch.22 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Your doing some damn fine shooting with that 1377...

Gas rams are gonna be alittle louder. I don't have direct experience with the Benjamin Trail NP/Crosman Venom Dusk/or Stoeger airguns. I did shoot a gamo whisper that was a top loader fixed barrel airgun, and it shot like the devil. You can ask guys that own these guns on the yellowforum. Just google yellowforum and you will find the James Kitchenings forum. Also there are a coupla crosman forums out there as well.

I don't know where you are budget wise on an airgun, but I would lean towards something German made like an RWS or better yet an HW gun. If your already taking rabbits and squirrels with that crosman pistol, then your really going to love one of these guns. I think you might like a BSA lighting as BSA has been making barrels since midevil times $250. I would also look for a CZ spring gun as their barrels are really excellent. I am guessing that CZ guns are in the $250 area. These guns both have iron sights and can be scoped. When getting a spring gun, you should get a springer rated scope. I like the Hawk scopes because of the fancy 1/2 mildot recticle they have...this offers for alot of different holdover points. Both of those gun are perhaps alittle more, but well worth the investment. If you would like true elegance and great accuracy look at the tx200. They are very easy to tune and come up on the yellow forum classifieds for as low as $425. They sell new for around $600. That might not really be in your budget, but you will love that gun and can put many thousands of rounds thru it. And its very easy to change out springs and seals. Also it is shrouded an one of the quieter springers. Shrouds on springs don't really make the gun quiter. It is the tune of the mechanism. It you use the right lubes and the right amount of lube....you can make the gun quieter. But in town with neighbors to the side of you and in the back of you as well as across the street from you...welp..the discharge will be more pronounced there then out in the woods. Look at the yellow forum classifieds. You find a gun you like, you can search and see what they have been selling for used. I would avoid guns that have been modified or tinkered on by the owners. Were a good bunch on the yellowforum and there is a board of inquiry listing any issues encountered with stuff bought from other forum members. If you got used to using any of these mentioned guns above....you wouldn't have much trouble hitting black walnuts @ 40 yards with them if you do your part.

You will find that .22 is a real hammer compared to that .177 pistol your shooting now. I wouldn't necessarily go for the highest powered springer out there. I would go for something in the 12-16 footlbs of energy area. Too much power means too much vibration that can be unforgiving to say the least...spring guns will make you a better firearms shooter for sure.

I have a RWS 48 .22, Beeman 124 .177, and RWS 45 in .177. I did have a gas ram Beeman RX that was in .177 and then I switched it to .22. It was a good shooting gun. As far as quietness goes, being in town is a disadvantage. The discharge from the airgun is going to bounce between houses. I encountered this same issue with pcp airguns with shrouds.

I would make sure you have a great back stop. I would check your ordinance in reguard to discharging airguns in town. I would also see what your neighbors take is on airguns as if they don't like it, and there is an ordinance....you will be talking to the police. Probably the first time around they will just ask you to not do it.

Hope this helps you.

Dutch

39. Dutch.22

Dutch.22 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Be very careful with that and atleast wear eyeprotection...

BB's tend to bounce back when hitting something flat. Be careful..and use safety glasses. My son and I were shooting my Dad's steel redryder at plastic bottles. One bb came back and we hung it up.

We shoot the crosman 1720T with a red dot and the plastic rifle stock. My son loves this...moa of can...last time he shot...he was 4 years old. I am going to turn one of the pistols down a bit and shoot the cheap wally world crosman premier hollowpoints out of it for him...
    This pistol is a precharged pneumatic...and can get way over 50 shots per airfill. When a lead pellet hits steel, it doesn't come back...but if your shooting golf balls....those pellets can come back with some whomp...even at 40 yards away.

40. Dutch.22

Dutch.22 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I cast for my .308 DAQ and .457 DAQ...

Google Dennis Quackenbush and check out the website....I use the 125 grain lyman spizer...and a 325 grain hollow point for the .457...as well as a 390 grain round nose.

There are guys that cast for .257 airguns as well. .177 and .22 is kindah hard to do. Your better off buying pellets.

41. Dutch.22

Dutch.22 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey your in West Coast Airgun Mecca....

You should check out CASA. They have field target and silhouette shooting...Airguns are a great way to do high volume shooting. The is no sizing of brass, depriming of brass, polishing of brass, trimming of brass, priming of brass, bullet casting, bullet lubing, bullet sizing, and again bullet lubing, powder charging, and bullet loading...you just feed pellets into the gun until your tired of shooting. And you don't have to clean the barrels as much either. A patch now and then will do fine for thousands of shots.

People look at my airguns and say you could buy a nice rifle for what you have into that. I reply with...welp can you shoot that powder burner 38,000 times a year if ya wanted to...Often I receive no reply.

Airguns are great for hunting, vermination, and plinking. With ammo shortages, the increased expense of ammo, getting into serious airgun stuff is a no brainer...heck if you get a decent airgun and just run wally world pellets thru it for plinking...your really coming out ahead.

Dutch

42. VinoNoir

VinoNoir Guide

Blog Posts:
    A buddy of mine and I have been talking recently about busting out our old BB guns.

I have a Crosman 760 Pumpmaster that I used to shoot just about anything with...

I LOVED this gun.

003.jpg

002.jpg

I got her when I was 7 or 8. This thing has seen A LOT. Haven't shot her in many years.

This is my Crosman 3100:

006.jpg
    004.jpg

005.jpg

I haven't shot this gun in probably 20 years. I would love to get her up and going again, but haven't a clue on weather it need oiling or any kind of maintenance. I've had this one since I was 10. Always like the Pumpmaster better then....But Now..

43. Dutch.22

Dutch.22 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Are those cotton tails or jack rabbits?

GOD made rabbits to eat. They are very easy to kill and very easy to clean. I love eatting a cotton tail rabbit. I brown them on the cast iron and then bake them in cream of mushroom soup with peppers for a couplah hours.

44. Dutch.22

Dutch.22 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hello there....

How do you like that Haley. What grain slugs do you like to shoot? I blended some lead pipe with some wheel weights so that the alloy was soft enough to be scratched with my thumbnail. So far my DAQ .457 hasn't killed anything. However the .308 killed a racoon instantly and 3 crows. I would like to shoot a yote with one of my DAQ's, but I don't like to drag one with me while bow hunting as the switch from bow to airgun is kindah tricky and the movement will get me busted. Been there and done that.

45. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Pick up some oil made for airguns or paintball guns. It's made to keep the seals from drying out and the pistons working smooth. Break it down as far as you are comfortable and check over all the parts for excessive wear, cracks and rust. Pay close attention to any seals for signs of dry rot, you may have to move them about and bend them a bit to see fine cracks. Check springs for flattened tips and make sure they're returning to the correct length when not under load. That's a nice airgun, I imagine she'll give you another 20 years of service.

46. bharner

bharner Guide

Blog Posts:
    My dad, who uses his RWS Springer year round for pest control in MA swears by pneumatic tool lube, the stuff for with terms use that won't freeze up. I have the Gamo oil they sell at the local shop and have no issues with it. Last Track of The Wolf order I snagged a couple boxes of their lubed .177 felt wads for scrubbing the barrel out.

Tapatalk ate my spelling and grammar.

47. Dutch.22

Dutch.22 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    URL for the yellowforum classifieds....

Here is the url for the yellow forum classifieds.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/7957...1,+RWS+350,+QB+parts,+.308+barrels...for+sale

Currently there is a BSA supersport in .177 that is selling for $175. This gun will stack pellets if you do your part. I have know Randy for a few years. He is a good fella.

48. VinoNoir

VinoNoir Guide

Blog Posts:
    Will I need any special tools to get to the seals or to check the spring? Ive honestly never taken this gun apart in my life. But, it has been well taken care of (mostly by my closet), as I never shot it much once I got my .22

49. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    First, check on the manufacturers website for a manual that has an exploded parts diagram. That'll give you a decent reference on how everything fits together more importantly, it'll tell you how to care for it for routine maintenance and the part numbers to order replacements (if they're still being made). As far as tools, a precision screwdriver set and a set of Allen wrenches along with some needle nose pliers should get you by for just about any minor part disassembly.

50. diannamarsolek

diannamarsolek Tracker

Blog Posts:
    i traded a lether bag for a

Binjurmen 22 pellet pistol. At the gun show last week end I love it but it don't have the rear sight. So I had ti wing nut one to shoot it I would like a real rear sight for it. gerrrrrrrrrrr but there hard to find I can make one out of the rear sight from a 22 rifle. But I got to ting that as well