Stalk of the Century Plant

Discussion in 'Tree and Plant ID Database' started by zelph, Dec 2, 2016.

1. zelph

zelph Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone used the stalk of the century plant for fire wood, decorations, shelter building?

I was in the Marble Falls, TX area and an antique dealer/store had the stalks for sale. Had them decorated with Christmas lights also.

Century Plant Stalk - Bing images
    80mtn likes this.
  2. OrienM

OrienM Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've messed with agave/century plant stalk a fair bit; it's pretty soft material for most craft uses (the center of the stalk is about as hard as styrofoam, seriously!) but can be hollowed out into a tube fairly easily...makes neat containers, archery quivers, didgeridoos, and the like. It burns well, shreds into tinder easily, and if charred will take a spark from flint and steel. I've used 'em as Christmas trees, before, too :D
    80mtn likes this.
  3. zelph

zelph Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's awesome! that someone has a use for it. I'd like to purchase a large USPS "flat rate" Priority Mail box packed full of stalk pieces. Contact me if anyone is interested in working out a deal. I left Texas the morning after seeing the stalks for sale at the store. Had to travel 700 miles back to my base camp in MS. Long story :) couldn't bring one back with me.;-(
    80mtn likes this.