Started Up Again

Discussion in 'Geocaching' started by Spartan24, May 7, 2015.

1. Spartan24

Spartan24 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I recently started finding geocaches on my area. Much to my chagrin I'm using the Geocache iPhone app. I'll definitely have to get a GPS as the app is inaccurate. Also you have to upgrade to a "premium" membership to find all caches. Some are restricted. I think using it with a GPS would yield best results. I've noticed that most caches in my area haven't been visited for almost a year. There's quite a few around here, but no activity I guess. I'm working to put together a dedicated bag to use for day hikes and geocaching. Gloves was my biggest want so far!

2. Mike Fitz

Mike Fitz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Depending on the area there can be a few or a lot of Premium caches. Not as many in my neck of the woods as some places I've been so a Premium membership may or may not be useful although I have one and find it worthwhile. I use an Android phone and the C:geo app, works fantastic, too bad there's no iPhone version. I do cache with friends that have iphones and haven't heard any complaints about the accuracy, do some Google searching and check out some of the alternative apps out there for the iPhone, might be one that better suits your needs. I cached with a dedicated GPSr for a while back in the day and wouldn't go back, just my preference for "on the fly" caching (i.e. lack on planning on my part).

3. AncientNCO

AncientNCO Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The premium membership will allow you to request a "pocket query", this enables you to request a given amount of caches in your area. You can then down load them into a GPS unit. I have a Garmin Colorado 300 and I use a program called GeoBuddy. Now I believe it's called Expert GPS. you can load the query into this program and manage all those caches. The program also lets you print out custom maps in any size with the option of topo maps, satellite imagery or urban photo. I've used this program to print out caches and then used a map and compass to find caches. it's a great way to keep those land nav skills honed. I prefer a dedicated GPS unit and keep my phone packed away out of harms way. If you lose you phone or drop it in water, you are without a phone or GPS. I used to cache in the woods and spent a great deal of time out there, I'm not sure what battery life is on these newer phones, but back in the day, battery life was an issue. As far as accuracy goes, I have not heard any negative issue with phone apps. If you have any questions about caching, look up Salz69 or Michigan-chris. they're are a few of my old running buddies and they have finds in excess of 35,000 or more. Me, I'm still around the 1695 mark.

4. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I am a premium member and I use a hand held Garmin Vista HCX. The phone app is not very good, if you want a lower price GPS just don't go for the latest and greatest. Premium membership gives you more stuff on the computer screens and some caches that others can't get to.