Starting a fire with Thermite.

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by MoraBob, Jan 24, 2013.

1. MoraBob

MoraBob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  2. Pat1973

Pat1973 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wow thats impressive,i just learned something here,thanks to you!

3. ewtoutdoors

ewtoutdoors Guide

Blog Posts:
    Never mind the contest, this was cool all on its own. Thanks :dblthumb:

4. cellis

cellis Post less. Do more. Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking two things that is the coolest thing ever and we need OSHA to chime on on this. But it looks like thermite is actually fairly safe to transport and the like? Just until to you light it then it becomes "Other Precautions: After ignition, the Thermit® reaction cannot be halted. Molten slag and steel are produced – stay clear when reaction"?

5. MoraBob

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, That's why I didn't use much. Maybe a 10th of a 20 fl oz water bottle worth. Gets the job done but scarey as all hell! I keep the ingredients separated until I want to use it cause then they are completely inert. Just aluminum and red rust. Couple facts. Thermite burns at around 4000 degrees Fahrenheit and can't be lit by anything under about 3000 degrees F so a magnesium strip is about your only option. It can melt through a car engine in about 30 seconds and is good for small welds if you don't have a machine or gear to do it otherwise.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  6. Howie

Howie Guide Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    :dblthumb: heck yeah!

7. redneck17

redneck17 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    talk about fire in a hurry.

8. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Definite "Man In The Creek" potential...

9. cellis

Blog Posts:
    Don't worry I am one step ahead of you I saw this in the morning and have been figuring out the logistics of MITCD with it all day, not kidding lol. Seriously though is there a real reason to carry this in the bush? What would be the risks/benefits? Giant fire in seconds, I'm guessing even with wet wood an obvious benefit. All I know about it is tertiary and mostly from mythbusters. Where do you even buy it? Is it controlled? Too many questions...

10. MoraBob

Blog Posts:
    MITCD?

No reason to carry it into the bush. This was done on my property. Risks are the reaction can't be stopped so if the fire gets out of hand all you can do is put out the other fires that sprout up until the reaction is complete. It spits and creates a ton of slag. It is relatively safe to use as long as you make sure the thermite is being used in an area free of other flammables and you stay the hell out of it's way. Can't buy it pre-made. (imagine the hazmat fees for shipping it. Yikes!!) You just purchase iron oxide and aluminum powder and mix in the proper portions. This fire was controlled pretty well. I used a digging stick to create a 2' wide moat of wet dirt around the fire. If you wanted to use it to controllable weld something you would first have to mix it with modelling clay so that you could shape it for the job you wanted it to do. The Magnesium is also REALLY finicky! If it touches anything other than air or thermite it just stops burning.

11. flatlander88

flatlander88 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

12. cellis

Blog Posts:
    Wow! Thanks! MITCD is an acronym for "Man in the Creek Drill" which is a lesson I believe originally taught by the military? SERE? (someone correct me) The idea is it is hypothermia cold and someone has fallen in the water and will die within a short time unless you make a fire. What you want to do is basically grab your fire kit and dump it on the ground with all of its tinder greatness. Then run as fast as you can and find small, whispy, and airy twigs and other fuel and just stack them up as fast as possible, then light the tinder and dump the fuel on. You want waist high flames within 5 minutes or as fast as possible to dry the person out. Take a look down in the Turley knives forum for some of us doing it. The place I did mine at a child died a year before from the exact situation so was kinda real.

This fire you did is incredible for that and why I and Shnick thought of it I bet. If it could be put into any kind of safe to transport small package it would be amazing. But I'm guessing the military has already tried it and no, more probably die from the risks or something. Very interesting none the less best thing I saw all day.

13. NGshooter17

NGshooter17 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Military uses or used thermite grenades in the past to destroy captured artillery pieces.

14. JOttum

JOttum Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thermite is also used to destroy radio and satellite eqipment, pretty much anything we dont want the enemy to get if we have to leave itbehind for some reason.

Not quite the smae reaction, but another quick fire can be made from glycerin and potassium permangenate.

15. SwissArmyKnife

SwissArmyKnife Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hehe, hehe FIRE! boom!

16. Med Gecko

Med Gecko Scout

Blog Posts:
    As far as I know, they still do for anti-matériel purposes. I'll ask an EOD buddy and edit this post if I hear different.

Edit: still used.

Med. Gecko

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013