surplus Polish wool blanket

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Lg&m, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been looking for a good wool blanket. Most I thought were over priced or to small. I found this Polish 100% wool blanket.
    http://www.copesdistributing.net/polish-military-surplus-wool-blanket-p-5060.html
    Just now I see they have free shipping so that makes the $15 blanket a even better deal.
    The shipping was fast & I would order from them again.
    The blanket has a slight odor, not bad.
    It is 77" X 58" x 1/4" thick I did not weigh it but it feels every bit of 5 lbs.
    Their is a tag on it but it is to faded to read.
    [IMG=CONFIG]56617[/IMG]
    [IMG=CONFIG]56618[/IMG]
    I would like to heard for anyone who has one I do not have much to compare it to.

Attached Files:

2. The Man In Black

The Man In Black Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the heads up on this. I ordered 3 for myself and 1 for my dad. For $15 and free shipping you can;t go wrong.

3. Spiffyguy

Spiffyguy Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I am curious to know as well. Might be a good option for a wool blanket anorak. Let me know how they look when you get them.

4. The Man In Black

The Man In Black Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mine came in today. They seem to be the exact same kind I already have. I thought the ones I had were Russian for some reason, but I guess they are polish.

For the price I'd say they are great.

And a heads up, they are not the 5.6lb that is listed on the site. There a little over 5lb. Close, but not quite there. And the length and width are all over the place. But all are somewhere around 5x6.

5. woodsghost

woodsghost Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have one that looks exactly like that, and it was supposedly Swedish. Maybe the tags are different? Maybe there was a company selling to everyone in the Northern European area?

6. Spiffyguy

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info. How is the softness? My plan was to make an anorak but the only wool blanket I have experience with is the USMC in boot camp and they were pretty scratchy.

7. Sylvan

Sylvan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the link I just ordered one too. Great price compared to some I've seen for almost 3x

8. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't have much to compare it with but I think it is soft enough. Mine is in good shape no holes or thin spots.

9. Spiffyguy

Blog Posts:
    Awesome. Thanks for the info. Might have to just get one.

10. rolandsilvajr

rolandsilvajr Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Said $ 9.95 shipping to lower 48. Did I miss the free shipping somewhere

11. Spiffyguy

Blog Posts:
    yeah I saw that too. Seems I snoozed too long lol. Still at 25 bucks not too bad of a deal. Not sure what the shipping or quality is on the sportsman's guide blankets.

12. The Man In Black

The Man In Black Scout

Blog Posts:
    The free shipping ended monday.

The Sportsmans Guide has the same blankets. And I'd bet Sportsmans Guide will run free shipping again (they had it this past weekend) at least once before Christmas.

And I'd say they are soft enough to make a shirt out of. I am going to do so with one of the ones I bought.

13. Spiffyguy

Blog Posts:
    Good to know. I will keep an eye out for the shipping deals.

14. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sorry I think the free shipping has ended :(

15. jereman

jereman Scout

Blog Posts:
    well, i was paid today, so i ordered two for myself. ill let ya know how i like them

thanks for the tip!

16. Spiffyguy

Blog Posts:
    Free shipping is back at cope's distributing. Just ordered one up.

17. RC3

RC3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the link. I just ordered one and free shipping is good through 12/9

18. BushNomad

BushNomad Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sportsmans also has free shipping, but the Copes is a better deal. Great blanket!

19. readyme

readyme Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Any more reviews on the blankets from Copes?
    It is a hard deal to pass up...I could use one in each of my cars.

20. Exy

Exy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Can someone tell me how soft it is?

Compared to an Israeli blanket, or a German blanket, or a Italian? Thanks!

21. Sylvan

Sylvan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thought I would let you know mine was delivered very fast and blanket is 72x59 and looks brand new. Has a moth ball smell that is slowly going away.
    A heavy blanket for sure and well worth the money spent.

22. jereman

jereman Scout

Blog Posts:
    i ordered 2 they are 70*58 and 70*59.. .shipping was a pain. i was never home to sign so i had to go pick them up from fedex.

23. The Man In Black

The Man In Black Scout

Blog Posts:
    Really? They just leave it by your front door in my area.

24. Exy

Exy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How soft or scratchy is it? Would really appreciate this answered :)

I have the Israeli blanket which is soft, the german which is soft, and the Italian which is not soft.. Just want to know so I can order :)

25. Sagebrush

Sagebrush Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Exy I have two polish blankets that I got from SG and I would say that they are on the softer side as surplus wool blankets go. The Swedish blankets are the softest ones I've come across so far and the polish ones are about the same in my opinion. The Italian blankets seem the scratchiest. I posted some comparison Picts on this thread. The italian, swedish and czech blankets are on the first page and the pictures of the polish blankets are on the 3rd page.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showt...et-decision-I-can-t-decide!?highlight=Blanket

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  26. kingsmanname

kingsmanname Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Roland, I just ordered one and I saw what you were talking about for the $9.95 shipping thing, but it must not apply for this because I just bought one and when I checked out, the total came to $14.99 exactly. So its still good. :dblthumb:

27. KuRUpTD

KuRUpTD Guide

Blog Posts:
    It's free shipping till Dec.09

28. kingsmanname

kingsmanname Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Oh! Nice! Good too know. Not only am I gonna put this to some good use out in the bush, but I'm gonna turn it into a makeshift cloak and wear it to The Hobbit premier. NERD ALERT! hahah

29. RC3

RC3 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Mine arrived from Cope's today. I think it's pretty soft. It's in great shape and very thick. I think it's twice as thick as the old USGI blankets. I just threw it in the dryer on air dry with a couple dryer sheets to hopefully get rid of some of the mothball smell. After that I'll probably hang it for a while to air it out.

Wool doesn't bother me at all so what I think feels soft may feel scratchy to others.

30. Kenton

Kenton Scout

Blog Posts:
    I received my three tonight. Seem nice and heavy. Only thing that was visibly wrong was that two out of three had edge threading missing. What sort of stitch is this and should I worry about ot being missing?

31. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just got one from Copes . Ordered 10 minutes before free shipping ended . Nice and thick and not really scratchy compared to US . Missing a little stitching in spots . Simple "blanket stitch " easily repaired .

32. kingsmanname

kingsmanname Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I just got mine in the mail, took 5 days. But I think they misplaced it the first time. Has a mothball odor to it. Kind of like an old house. But I have absolutely no problem with it. The size on it was much different though. I measured and roughly got 68x51" or so. That's a bit of a difference, but it does say sizes will vary in all capitals and in bold. Its definitely a heavy blanket. I don't have a way of measuring its weight though. I wouldn't say its itchy. It feels decently soft, maybe a VERY slight itch. Since I just got it today, I haven't tested it yet, but I'm heading out to the woods Saturday. Temps are supposed to get in the low twentys (warmer than I expected) so I'll have time to test. Two of the sides have the stitching on them (which I believe is normal) and they seem decently intact. I'm just hoping its worth the extra weight to bring out. Thanks for the alert of the sale! I'll repost to keep updates.

33. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I got mine (2) a couple days ago. Shipping took about 5 days (ad said 3-7). They've been hanging out on the back fence for a couple days, where they will stay until the mothball smell is gone. I am thinking about letting them get rained on today. One will become an anorak. The other will go in my car.

Both are in good shape, and were a little smaller than i expected. No issues there though. One tag is completely washed out, the other has a few letters on it that didn't mean anything to me. one part says COK 50, and that blanket seems much softer than the other one. i am slightly concerned that it's a mixed fiber. i do a flame test later. both are very thick, and blanket stitched along the top and bottom hems (not along the sides). no worn or missing spots visible. the only thing i noticed dirt-wise is that one of them has some sort of stain on one of the folds, like it was on the bottom of the stack in a dusty warehouse (like an old carpet gets, near the edges and under doors, from the AC sucking air through it.)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  34. jereman

jereman Scout

Blog Posts:
    they are the only wool blankets i have ever owned, so sorry i cant tell you if they are more or less scratchy then any other. they are a little, but not too bad. they are about 1/4 inch thick (if i remember correctly) and weigh just over 5lbs. mine didnt smell that bad, and were pretty clean. my friend ordered 2, his were covered in dirt and reaked! he had to wash his 3-4 times to get it clean. it is a surplus blanket so it is luck if the draw. also, his were 70x80 and 71x59 so its pretty random. of all 4 of them (my 2 and his 2) none are same size or color. hopes this helps some one. they are nice blankes for 15-20 each. if you dont have any wool blanket (like me) they are a good cheap way to go.

35. ashman

ashman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just place an order. I have an Italian blanket I was considering making into an anorak, but could not bring myself to cut it up. Might use this Polish one instead. The GI 80/20 wool blend blanket anorak I made is not that thick, wanted something a little heavier. Should serve me well.

36. klammer

klammer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    anyone able to post any pics of the blankets received?

37. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    Here is mine . To me it's big ....67 x74 . More like 3/8 inch thick . As you can see a little stiching missing on one side .
    Tight weave with almost a felt like loft .The only thing I have to compare it to are GI blankets from my foggy memory of 45 years ago .
    I know they were more scratchy and thinner . I did look at a reenacters blanket one time and when you held it up to the light you could really see the loose weave and that was 35 bucks or something and it was thinner .

My big regret is not ordering 2 or 3 while I had free shipping .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  38. Spiffyguy

Blog Posts:
    Here are some shots of mine. I would like to say thanks to the original poster and to Cope Distributing. I had no issues, in fact got more shipping information from these guys than Amazon. Was a good deal all around in my opinion. I should have bought another to replace the Harbor Freight one I keep in the Jeep. That is the only wool blanket I have to compare but this one blows it away. My dimensions came in at 58x 80. I had no issues with the stitching on each end, all stitches were in place. I had a slight discoloration in one part but nothing I deemed as bad. My plan is an anorak so I will just stick that inside. Total weight is 5.07 pounds. It is a tight weave as others have said. Very solid blanket. Ok on to the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The brownish part. Hard to see.

[​IMG]

Continued....

39. Spiffyguy

Blog Posts:
    The rest of the images

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope that helps. I like the blanket.

40. Grillsgt

Grillsgt Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I just ordered one today and its no longer free shipping it cost $9 and some change but still a better deal than I saw in a surplus store today, they were about $35.00

41. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    You can see pictures of mine in the first post. If you want a different view let me know. Like others have said for the money I think it is a very good bit of wool. I missed the free shipping also but I think they bring it back from time to time. I will check Cope's site whenever I am looking for surpuls goods. They were good to deal with the first time.
    I have a campout next month. I plan to give my blanket a try then. So far all that I have asked from it is to keep the chill off in the basement in front of the boob tube.

42. klammer

klammer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    thank you for the pics - 3 inbound :) time to make anorak #3

43. TopJimmy99

TopJimmy99 Tracker

Blog Posts:
  44. Sylvan

Sylvan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Used mine a bunch the last couple of days and it is great. The original one posted here for 15 bucks.

45. BushNomad

BushNomad Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @ Topjimmy99: The sportsmans guide and copes is the exact same blanket. I ordered 2 from copes and 1 from sportsmans, and my buddy got 1 from sportsmans at different times when they had free shipping. And as a side note both of the sportsmans were slightly larger than the copes, dont know if thats across the board but they are all the same and great blankets.

46. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    Mine from Copes was big 67 X 74

47. Spiffyguy

Blog Posts:
    wow mine was 57x80 from copes. seems quite a bit of variation. Those crazy polish folks

48. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    I think they do a little research probabley and custom fit your blanket to your body type .
    Im 5 ' 10" with a plus size figure . You're probably six foot or more right ?

49. Spiffyguy

Blog Posts:
    Not 6 foot here. Maybe I need to swap with a taller fellow lol.

50. klammer

klammer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Finally had time to cross the border and pick mine up. All 3 different. One very nice felted wool, the next next was thinner with a tight weave, not felted. last was felted but moth eaten / full of holes. Still good value for money.