Survive! Knives

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Slickrock, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Slickrock

Slickrock Scout

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone had the opportunity to play with one of these? If so, please share your experience/impressions/etc

https://www.surviveknives.com/

(the majority of them are made out of CPM-3V)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. 6shooter

6shooter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Waiting on a GSO 4.1 in 3V preorder, which should be shipping soon I think. I'll post thoughts when I get some bush time with it.

3. RKP

RKP Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Me too !

4. Slickrock

Slickrock Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking about pre-ordering the GSO-5, but i dont know much about them.(Survive knives)

5. rolandsilvajr

rolandsilvajr Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I have the gso10 in 3v 2 gso 5.1 in elmax a edc4 in 3v and a gso 4.1 in mp390 and a gso
    5 in 3v on order. Guy makes a great knife and I am thrilled to death with his products. May sell one of the gso5.1 off. Don't need to and have my eye on the gso 6 and 7.

6. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't have one but since you made me aware of the site I want one!!! Though the conversation of why I spent nearly $200 on one knife is not a conversation I wish to have with my wife ;p

7. Steel

Steel Tracker

Blog Posts:
    CPM-3V is tough as hell and holds a awesome edge. All his blades are heat treated by Peters heat treat. I have talked with Guy a lot since I became aware of his knives. He has put a lot of thought and time into his designs. I have his GSO-10 and it's a lot lighter then other knives of the same size so it carries well and is very handy. The next 2 blades I want are his GSO-4 and GSO-6. In my opinion well made blades are nothing if the company doesn't stand behind their blades 100%. I know Guy will stand behind his blades 100% so that means a lot in my opinion.

8. Schmittie

Schmittie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ditto

9. c0ldfire1o25

c0ldfire1o25 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    i pre-ordered a gso 5.1 a couple weeks ago and a necker last week..cant wait!

10. Hiker

Hiker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just pre-ordered the GSO 5.1! Nothing like waiting till the last minute.:9:

11. rolandsilvajr

Blog Posts:
    Guy really stands behind his work. I had a gso5.1 and it had a little surface rust due to contaminant particles while grinding the elmax blade. He offered to clean it up but I just took a little white compound and 25 minutes later looked good. Decided to use a bench polisher and rush it a little. Someone bumped me and the knife went flying into a concrete and stone wall. Put a ding in the blade. Should have been more careful. Guy said send it to him. He made it look like brand new and I had really been using the heck out of it beating it too. No charge did it in two days even though he is crunched with preorders. He takes pride when people really hard use the knives and also stands behind them like no one else. He takes any failure of a knife in any way like a personal failure and when I contacted him about the rust on elmax he immediately contacted me back at 11pm and we figured out the problem instantly and resolved it. I have 5 of his knives and two on preorder and soon ordering another.

12. Steel

Steel Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I just pre-ordered the GSO-6 and will probably be ordering a GSO-4.1 as well. I need to send my GSO-10 back to him because it was involved in a fire. He told me to send it back to him so he could check it out.

13. rolandsilvajr

Blog Posts:
    You'll have to let us know the story.they are pretty bombproof but the fire must have done a number on the micarta. Throw up a pic. Curious how it did. Guy is nbr 1 when it comes to customer service. He'll have it bs k like new in no time.

14. Steel

Steel Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well kydex sheath melt around the blade so much that it will have to be cut out. The handle scales looked like they were still in good shape. I have hope that the blade is still good to go.

15. Slickrock

Slickrock Scout

Blog Posts:
    It seems like the best customer service always comes with being a smaller operation. I'd rather spend $200 on a knife from a smaller business like that, than on a benchmade or something

16. rolandsilvajr

Blog Posts:
    I sincerely think that the blade will be perfectly fine, especially if the micarta handles are in good shape the truth is you maybe able to take a heat gun and heat it up and get the sheath off unless its a crispy critter you may even try to freeze the sheath and break it off as the 3v is so tough you wont damage it but kydex especially not that it has been stressed should break when frozen and as I said the 3v is way tougher than the kydex, good luck you knife will be fine. The sheath thats another story. so keep your sheaths out of the fire, I have always said that.....

17. Tristar777

Tristar777 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hi. Is this some sort of secret code?? Lol.:27:

18. rolandsilvajr

Blog Posts:
    It's a survive addiction

19. tfisher

tfisher Tracker

Blog Posts:
  20. tminish

tminish Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This forum is such a bad(good) influence on me... I need another $200 knife like I need a hole in my head. Yet I just preordered a 5.1 this morning after seeing this thread! :16:

21. rolandsilvajr

Blog Posts:
    You will love it. I just ordered the gso5 too

22. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't have one but only because I can't swing the $ . I totally like the design.

23. Fish N Chips

Fish N Chips Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I love the design, but that is some money. I would be afraid to baton with it, but it would be great for carving and cutting. I have heard nothing but rave reviews about his knives.

24. rolandsilvajr

Blog Posts:
    Go to YouTube and equip2endure and watch what they do to these. First Guy warranties every knife and stands behind them 110%. They are made to be the strongest most reliable survival knives made. Take a look at them. Email or call Guy. They would be the last knife I would ever expect to fail. Also a knife like that with that quality of build in 3v elmax or mp390 should be in the $300-450 range. Once you have used one or seen the videos you will know they are worth every penny.

25. Fish N Chips

Fish N Chips Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I do not doubt they are worth every penny, and probably much more than he is asking. My issue is too many hobbies and spreading my extra money between them all. I have seen the equip2endure, he really speaks highly of them. I will have to go through and watch his field tests of the knives. I saw him talk about it on the 10 survival knives video. They really are probably the best looking bushcraft knife I have seen.

I usually don't baton, something about it bothers me. I have never broken a knife doing it, but can see the possibility of it. I would hate to break a tool I was relying on. I usually carry an axe or saw for heavy work, but it is definitely a good skill to have if you have no other choice.

Thanks!

26. rolandsilvajr

Blog Posts:
    Me too batoning is last resort but won't blink an eye with them. I usually carry a gb mini hatchet or gb sfa or silky or Laplander saw. Also have a northwest woodsman bucksaw which is an awesome option when you need to go through wood quick. I hope that fortune favors you and you bump into some new found funds soon.

27. Stainz

Stainz Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just thought WTH and tried to order a 4.1 with their discount code 'GSO4' from a Survive! e-mail of the 23rd - no place to enter the code on their order form, so I emptied my cart. Of course, then I remembered an unpaid bill - 6 months of car insurance! Not as much fun as a new knife... but a 'necessary evil'.

Stainz