Swamp Rat Rodent 6

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Rider, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    A search resulted in nil for this, so does anyone own or know anything of the Swamp Rat Rodent 6 or the Ratmandu(I believe it's called)? I was checking them out and they look awesome. Am actually thinking of selling(or trading) my TOPS Tracker and a bunch others(need the cash) and may pick up one if there is any $$$ left over but before I do I kinda want to know the good the bad and the ugly? If there is any...Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  2. niceguyedy

niceguyedy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    No experience with the Rodent 6... but I do own a RatManDu...

Great knife Freaking amazing knife... Tough as nails, most comfortable handle shape I have used. Micarta scales are machined with grooves in them for a no slip grip.. would be the one knife I would trust my life to... If I had to choose.

SR101 (52100 ball bearing steel with an extensive proprietary heat treat) gets RAZOR sharp very easily, and is tough.. I am not a Busse fan boy, but they got a lot right with this knife... :1:

For bushcrafty tasks... it is kinda meh... The steel rusts easily if neglected in any way, the spine of the knife isn't sharp for striking a fire steel, and the drop point (clip point?) makes drilling a bow drill divot not as easy as a spear point would....Oh... and it looks tacticool...:33:

I guess it depends on what you want it for...

3. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    Kinda as a tactical and woods knife both...Its sorta like this:

I LOOOOVE my ESEE 6. The blade shape, the overall style, everything. I just want something that is a bit better steel and is a bit more of a higher end knife and maybe something a bit heavier. The Rodent 6 looks about perfect for what I had in mind(not to mention I love the look of the SwampRat handles) with the Ratmandu coming in a close second....

Every woodsknife I've found sucks as tactical, and every tactical knife I found sucks as a woodsknife. Except for the ESEE 6, so that's why I want to keep in that basic form...

Honestly, as it stands now...I'd probably still take my ESEE over the TBT, even though I really, really love the Tracker...The ESEE/That style is just my first love sorta thing.

BTW, I don't mean or want for this to turn into a, "Tracker vs Another Model" thread. The Tracker kicks major arse for sure...

4. niceguyedy

niceguyedy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    One more thing since you have an ESEE 6 (another knife I have experience with)...

ESEE handle scales are what I would consider "blocky" or "chunky" my ratmandu is a lot thinner thicknesswise.. so much that some people whom are used to ESEE's don't like how much their fingers curl around the Ratmandu... I now prefer the ratmandu handle and sold all my ESEE's (a 4, a 5 and a 6)...
    I can't speak to a rodent 6, as I only own a Ratmandu and a Rodent 9...

Here is a BCUSA thread on ESEE 6 vs ratmandu http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/52614-ratmandu-opinions

5. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    Awesome! Thanks

Also, is there a better place to buy a Swamp Rat knife other than directly from the company? Also....Any sheath recommendations?

6. niceguyedy

niceguyedy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nope... there is only one primary source: http://shop.swampratknives.com/

They sometimes come up on Bladeforums: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/804-Busse-Swamprat-Scrapyard-Knives-For-Sale

Or you can email the Busse custom shop, and order it with custom features (like a tanto style, swedge grind, bowie variant, etc..): Swamp Rat Customer Service <ratcustomerservice@toast.net>

I had thought about ordering a Ratmandu with a spearpoint, squared off spine, out of 154CM stainless from the custom shop... though I doubt they would do that...

Good luck..

7. Treehorn

Treehorn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    In my humble opinion, the RMD is a great general camp knife. Great ergos and steel, it will rust if not cared for but keeps a great edge. I like the Rodent 6 a lot although the 1/4" thickness is a bit overkill for me, it still feels great in the hand. I wasn't into the way the top of the hand guard is shaped as it comes so I had Swamp Rat grind it down for me (extra $ of course). So, really this Rodent 6 is more or less a RMD magnum which works pretty good for me.

Rodent 6, RMD and a HRLM on the bottom
    [​IMG]

8. Treehorn

Treehorn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    R6 with an ESEE (RC6). Just because more pictures of knives is always good.
    [​IMG]

9. PeterCartwright

PeterCartwright Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't have any experience with the two knives about which you've asked advice, but I'm intrigued by your experience with the ESEE 6. You say you love the knife but you're looking for a knife with better steel. Having just purchased an ESEE 6, I'm curious if you've been disappointed with the performance of the steel in the (less expensive) knife? I was surprised to see that the ESSE 6 blade is ground much thinner than my ESSE Laser Strike. Didn't expect that. On the plus side, it certainly makes the 6 easier to sharpen. (I've convexed both ESEEs). Haven't yet had the chance to give the 6 any significant play time. (Really like the Laser Strike, though!)

PC

10. Treehorn

Treehorn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've been pretty hard on the above pictured ESEE 6 and the 3/16" thick 1095 has handled everything. While I think the RMD and the Rodent 6 feel better in hand, I don't think the SR-101 has performed any better then the 1095 at all.

11. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:

If you're asking if I am disappointed in the ESEE 6 steel? Heck no! It takes a razor edge and holds it forever. If I have one complaint, it MIGHT be that it MAY be a bit brittle but all the chips it has in it have been from over the top abuse...Essentially, using it as an axe to clear land with. Aheh. :4:

My big thing is the Swamp Rat's are thicker stock(at least the Rodent 6 is) and while the ESEE 6 has never failed me, I like my knives to be close to if not a quarter inch thick for reasons such as using it as a prybar and also adds weight for chopping...

...Hope that answered your question? :)

12. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    If the two of them are comparable, that's awesome cuz like I said....I love my ESEE 6 steel. It's capabilities are so far the best of any similar sized knife I've had so far, and I've had a-many....Also like I said, mostly looking at the R6 for the heavier blade and chopping/rugged reasons....

If I may ask, is the R6 a LOT heavier than the ESEE6? Also, do you have any sort of flat out comparison with them, mostly in batoning or chopping?

And lastly....Would you want to part with your R6? :4:

I hate the idea of waiting a month and a half to order mine in :17: Especially since I'll be Tracker-less...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2013
  13. Treehorn

Treehorn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Even though the stock is so much thicker, I can't say that there's a huge difference in the weight. I've never put them on the scale but they feel pretty close to me. I would never part with my ESEE 6 but the Rodent does make it a bit redundant and it does hold an edge a bit better. As far as chopping and batoning, the R6 does (at least in my eyes) win out a bit probably because of the grind difference and stock. And..my R6 is staying put forever, just got a GODSPEED kydex set up for it and it's dialed in all right. Love it.

14. badasp118

badasp118 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have extensively used both knives and the rat 6 is my favorite knife. A beast at everything but fine carving. I carry a scrapyard scrapavor for fine work with the rat6. Makes an awesome combination. Holds an awesome edge and has yet to let me go.

15. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Looks like I gotta get me a Rodent 6....Wish I knew someone who was selling so I didn't have the wait :38: Ah well...

16. Bill Cox

Bill Cox Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    :23:You need to get yourself an sp46 and be done with. Trust me lol

17. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    how about the grind on the R6? I like the fact it's a quarter inch thick, but the only complaint I had about my Tracker being a quarter inch was the grind kept the blade too thick the entire way down to the edge and resulted in you had to have it the perfect angle to chop something if you didn't want it deflecting and made it hard to baton smaller diameter pieces of wood...Does anyone have a pic of the grind, like from the tip of the knife so I can get a better look at it?

18. Treehorn

Treehorn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'll try to get a decent grind pic. I suck at getting good blade pics, just a disclaimer.

19. Bodie

Bodie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Going on my 9th week for my Rodent 6 :). The wait wouldn't be so bad if i didn't think about it so much!

20. badasp118

badasp118 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been using the r6 for teaching wildernss survival techniques at the school i work at as well as scouting and my own bushcrafting. Im happier than i have been with almost any knife. I recently got a hrlm also and i love it as much, but its not quite a chopper as the rc6. I wouldnt trade my 6 for anything!

21. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    They told me 3-5 weeks for mine o.0 I'll die if its longer than five!!! D:

sent from my dumb phone.

22. Bodie

Bodie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I ordered 4-01-13, guessing i might have just missed the cycle of model. will update as status changes.

23. AngryDaddyBird

AngryDaddyBird Scout

Blog Posts:
    Took ten weeks for mine. While waiting ended getting my 911, rucki, 411 and my rodent solution just god shipped!
    I think blade and kc had alot to do with it. They are worth the wait! Even though at times we eat our fingers off counting the days!.. Lol... Ended up selling my Rodent 6 and rodent 9. Now I wish I didnt!

24. stefan_wolf_ss

stefan_wolf_ss Scout

Blog Posts:
    just want to say - Cheers for the great picture! Here in Bulgaria is hard to find SR knives
    and this Rodent 6 looks as great as my beloved RMD...
    [​IMG]

p.s. What can I say for SR 101 steel - great old school ball bearing steel with modern approach in heat treatment - It's not a CPM 3V (by Fehrman or Dan Coster), It's not a 1095 (by ESEE) or 5160 (by Ontario), it's not an A2 (by BRKT) but is what a man need -> proven steel, great heat treatment, reasonable grind for variety of tasks and the best - outstanding feel in the hand -> when man and a knife are one we can only say - Stay sharp and CHEERS!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  25. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Dono which I like better, the knife... or the ?vodka?... please be vodka!

Just noticed the gold flakes... goldschlager? thats tasty too I guess.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  26. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    I check the mail every day, it's pathetic really. The more you wish for, the less you got. Yesterday in my box it was two pieces of junk mail. Today it contained a jury duty notice. Sonofa.... :mad:

27. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    Question: When I ordered, it stated very clearly: "Please allow 3-5 weeks" ....That was May 2and.....When would any of you email or call just to check up on it? :p

28. Bodie

Bodie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I emailed 2 week's back and finally got this, I apologize for the delay in responding to this e-mail. This e-mail address was down for a while.

We did receive your order for one Rodent 6. Your order is currently in production. Once your order has shipped, we will provide you with the tracking information.

Have a nice day!
    Thank you,

Trissy
    Swamp Rat
    Customer Service

29. Treehorn

Treehorn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I know they have been having e-mail/site issues lately, they are pretty good over there with customer service in general. Waiting is always a killer but well worth it. The swamp rat forum is pretty good for current info. http://forums.swampratknifeworks.com/

30. Dman62

Dman62 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have and R6 and a RMD. Both great knives! For general purpose use I'd say go eith the RMD. If you want a knife to do more wood processing I'd go with the R6. A lot of folks don't like the top guard but it doesn't bother me. I just wrap my thumb around it when I choke up. The R6 gets into small chopper territory and is a wood splitting fool.

31. Bodie

Bodie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Update just got word my Rodent 6 has shipped ;-)

32. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
    GLORY HALLELUJIAH!!! I just got home from work in a worse mood than usual, checked the mail, the knife STILL wasn't here and I was getting ready to come in, call them and quite possibly raise some hell when I checked my emails and seen that they JUST sent me one saying it was shipped yesterday, will be here tomorrow...

Happy? Yes. Am I sure that I'll love the knife? Positively. Still ticked off at how they say 3-5 weeks and it's at least double that? Absolutely.

But, whatever...Will post pics when I get it!

33. Rider

Rider Guide

Blog Posts:
  34. Paul'ie

Paul'ie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    When I first got my Ratmandu I knew that what I do in the bush I needed a larger Knife so I got the Rodent 9 and no regrets so far, for a lighter pair when I need lighter gear I got with the Rodent 7 and I paired it off with my Rodent 4, I had the Rodent Solution before the R 7 and R 4 and I thought I had a excellent 3knife carry, then I needed a Long Knife for getting through the brambles in the summer time in my State so I got the Rodent Rucki which alot of my friend didn't understand how and for what I was going to use the Rucki now they do with envy, I like a 6" blade for a field camp knife that size seems for me to be the perfect size blade, but I didn't like the tactical looking knife for the bush and almost got the Essee 6, but since I have a nice stable of 6" blades like my A-1, Njord, Vox Black Rold and a few others but I was so impressed with th SR101 I wish Swamp Rat had one, I shared that with Trissy at customer care and she told me they can modify the Rodent 6 so I had it thinned down and the top gaurd taken off, now my Rodent 6 look's like a beefy Ratmandu on steriods awesome you could hardly tell it was a Rodent 6, the way they blended that area allows my hand to chop better with it and better than with my other 6" blades, my Ratmandu is and always will be one of my Fav's, but the way my Modde Rodent 6 came out its defenetly my Fav field camp knife, hard choice choosing which one to take with me when I go into the bush, I think the Rodent 6 is a more versital knife size if your going to process alot of wood because of its chopping ability, but usually I have my Trapper Double Bit Hatchet made by 2Hawks so I can use my Ratmandu just fine too, if I had one knife to survive with, I think my Modde Rodent 6 would be the knife I would want, after I got my Stromeng Leuku I realized how good a 9 1/2" blade made for a great survival blade size even as a 1knife carry, that's why I love my Rodent 7 too, and any of these knives make some awesome survival knives because with a choil you can use a longer blade shorter, Swamp Rat makes some great designs for us, and their proven.

35. badasp118

badasp118 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I love my RC-6 I use the hell out of it. It's one of my favorite and most used outdoor knives. I've never felt limited with it and it holds a great edge. Got mine from Jerry Busse himself. The Ratmandu and HRLM are awesome as well.