Tarred bank line

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by Panzer, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Can anyone give me some opinions of the stuff. I see it pop up in peoples kits but I have never used it. Also where is a good place to get some locally?

Thanks

2. Gryphonblade

Gryphonblade Guide

Blog Posts:
    Saint George, UT, temporarily out of state (and mi
    Same thing I've been wondering. I can order it in huge spools online, but not sure that what I found is really the same stuff.

3. arctxbushman

arctxbushman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Its great. You can carry hundreds of feet of it on a single spool. Some people say its better than para-cord, but I find that a mix of both lends itself to a kit.

I use it for lashings, fishing, trap practice and anything I find more of a permanent use. I save my paracord for stuff I know I will be taking apart multiple times like ridge lines. I also don't mind actually cutting it when needed. I try to never cut my para-cord.

4. hoge

hoge Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I pretty much agree with arc. Great stuff overall.

I use it for any project that needs cordage to be cut as I also try not to cut down para.

It holds knots really well, seems to be stong and durable for its size and its light weight compared to paracord. Its not a replacement for para but a companion to it...

I tried to find it local but there are major differences in quality. The stuff you get online is actually made down in louisiana somewhere for fishermen. The tarring is much better than what you will find on the chinese stuff in walmart or whatever. The low qualiy stuff will have striping on it where the tarring isn't uniform.

I'm pretty sure I ordered mine from canteen shop but I've actually found the company that makes it. We ordered some stuff from them for work. As far as I know they only do wholesale. Send a pm and I can pass the info along if interested. I think it would be a great item for bushcraft outfitters hint hint. :)

5. joe305

joe305 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good stuff Ive seen it up to 300lbs...I have had no luck finding it locally...Canteenshop.com sells them. Its three strand cordage so you have the capability of breaking it down.

6. R_W

R_W Guide

Blog Posts:
    Walmarts around here carry it.

7. MJDavis

MJDavis Unworthy Field Participant Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  8. Gryphonblade

Gryphonblade Guide

Blog Posts:
  9. Chert

Chert Guide

Blog Posts:
  10. MJDavis

MJDavis Unworthy Field Participant Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, just trying to help.

11. arctxbushman

arctxbushman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just make sure you get the tarred kind.

I made the mistake of buying it the first time without. As soon as you cut it, it unravels and make one heck of a mess if you let it go to long without melting the ends every time.

12. Dux

Dux Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Got mine from Bass Pro. Made in Covington, TN by Mariner Brand, 3 strand, #36, 320lb tensile, evenly tarred. Yellow label says"Nylon Twine". 486' (162yds) was $10. Tar doesn't come off even in summer. Does stink a lil when hot out.

Hung in my hammock with it O/N, set up tarp shelters, bug nets, crafts, fishing, etc. Way cheaper n packable than para.

Absolutely love it!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  13. Chert

Chert Guide

Blog Posts:
    No worries, I was just pointing it out. Canteenshop was a place I used to shop a lot, then after DC's success it just seemed like the prices of things skyrocketed. Rob seems like a cool dude and I've never had any complaints about his store, other than the recent price increase on things.

14. Driftingrz

Driftingrz Guide

Blog Posts:
    stuff typically sells at walmart or other fishing/sports places.. just look around the catfishing goodies with the trotlines and stinkbaits... ive been meaning to grab a hank of it as its just so much lighter and packs down alot better than paracord.... and you can get much more cordage for the same price...

not saying paracord is no good cause i love it... stuff is just way to expensive to be used for every little task.. and the innerstrands of paracord suck IMO.. dont hold knots verywell in my experiences.. dont constrict well..

i carry some regular trot/bankline in my kit now since i have alot of it from fishing.. but like the paracord innerstrands.. it doesnt tie or constrict on itself very well.. i dont trust it for somethings.. the tarred line should be much grippier

15. wolfy

wolfy Guest

Blog Posts:
  16. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I bought some of the tarred stuff. I hate it. It stinks and all of the tar gets on my gear. I have to keep it in a plastic bag.

17. wolfy

wolfy Guest

Blog Posts:
    Betchya didn't buy it at Memphis Net and Twine.....theirs is not batch-dunked. Very uniform and won't get all over your hands and gear....kind of a 'get what you paid for' situation;)

18. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I bet I didnt. I got it at WalMart. 550 works fine for me.

19. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    When my dad wasn't tarring his own using pine tar he'd buy it from Memphis net & twine for close to 50 years. I use tarred nylon for French whipping, and turk's-heads too.
    [​IMG]

20. TheCaveman

TheCaveman Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    $4.50 Walmart up to 200lbs and 300ft lengths, takes up no space in my pack.

21. Bill510c

Bill510c Scout

Blog Posts:
    As Terry mentioned it does stink. But once you get past the smell it is great stuff. You can pack the whole spool and it takes up very minimal space and weighs next to nothing. I find it easier to pack in a minimal day kit than hanks of paracord.

22. Teno

Teno Scout

Blog Posts:
    If anyone want to buy a spool and share some sample, we can share the price and I will be glad. Gettin one spool here is a little bit expensive, so I prefer to test it first!!!

23. rusty stove

rusty stove Guide

Blog Posts:
    Donk gave me some at the last meet up- I like it for what it's worth....holds a knot well- I am going to order some from that Memphis net link. Terry is correct- it has a "unique" order when I open the altoid tin it is stored in- nothing too bad but it is noticable.

24. Anigatogewi

Anigatogewi Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yahoo! Messenger:
    jeffreyghall
    I get 1lb spools here in 2 different strengths 106 lb test and 340 lb test... The 106lb line is 1649 ft/roll and the 340 lb is 510 ft/roll... It is very high quality cordage, the tar is well impregnated and has no uneven coating or globs of tar like the wal mart stuff around here... the spools are $18.95 each... Most everything else I find is lighter weight and only a 250' roll for $8... I personally love the stuff, I still have "some" para cord in my kit, but its usually "as mentioned earlier" for my ridge line etc...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2011
  25. cloudraker

cloudraker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ok, so what I don't get is why tared? Taring is traditionally used to keep natural fibers like manilla and hemp rope and such from rotting in wet environments. On modern materials like nylon it's not necessary. If it stinks then it would suck for trapping IMO. The tared rope I handled on the docks left my hands and arms covered with tar. I don't want that on my gear.

Before I tried paracord, I used starter cord bought by the spool at Home Depot. This was for an outdoor program I was running. I still have my original 20 foot ridge line and it never frayed or broke and was used for more than a ridgeline. It comes in various diameters and was mostly been cheaper than paracord. The only thing is it comes in one color, white. Not tacticool, I know, but it's bushcraft.... Don't get me wrong, I like paracord and carry it with me too.

26. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I have used it some, and it has it's uses. But, I prefer mason's twine. Same stuff without the tar. Some find it hard to tie knots with, but I like that it is cheap enough that I don't worry about untying it, just cut and toss in the fire when I'm done.

27. hoge

hoge Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've tried mason line and will never go back to it. Personally I found it difficult to well becase the fibers kept unraveling. Maybe I just got junky mason line but I tried 2 different brands before I moved on to the tarred bankline. Haven't really noticed much odor after its been opened for awhile and haven't had any kind of tar transfer onto gear. I leave it on my tarp corners for tie outs using trucker hitches and when really putting load on it I've had just a smidge transfer onto my hands. No biggie to me.

I haven't found a better light duty cordage yet. But the stuff I use is the higher quality stuff similar to the memphis stuff previously mentioned. Might come from the same place ultimately.

Personal preference and all that I'm sure.

28. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have been using mason's twine also Skab. Cheap, effective and you can get some pretty bright colors.

So what is the advantage of the tarring for bushcraft?

29. Trail Dust

Trail Dust Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use the tarred line for tying my decoys out. The shop that I purchase mine from gets their tarred nylon twine from Wallace Cordage Company. Wallace sells to a number of fishing/hunting stores around the country. http://www.wallacecordage.com/tarred-twisted-nylon-twine.html. I have also done business with Memphis Net & Twine Co (mentioned by Wolfy). Good people with a quality product.

Unlike mason line that comes unraveled by looking at it, the strands in the tarred line stay together real well...unless you want to separate them. Other than duck hunting decoys, I don't use the stuff, but I can see why some might find benefit to using it for their needs.

30. GKiT

GKiT Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    I think I got mine online from Bass Pro. Small and large spools. Love it!
    Light, strong and you do not have to worry about using what you want to use, cutting what you want to cut. If I just use para cord, I do not manage it well and a 100 foot piece ends up as a bunch of short pieces in a very short time. I use para cord as set lengths for tarps etc.. and bank line for just about everything else.

31. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Stink? I LOVE the smokey smell of pine tar! :4: I even bath using pine tar soap. I'm weird though since I also LOVE the smell of diesel exhaust. I pull up behind a city buss and roll down my window and inhale. :7:
    LOVE the smell of black powder burning too. ;)

32. Gryphonblade

Gryphonblade Guide

Blog Posts:
    Diesel smoke combined with a nice stinky house fire...sets my blood rusing and the adreanalin surging!

I still smack my should when I hear a PASS device-like beeping too...

I think I miss the fire department....

Anyways, bank line: I see the back and forth over the quality out there. How about strength? What is a good size to go for? It seems it can be had in everything from thread to mooring cable...

33. Two Bears

Two Bears Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    When I ordered mine the only place I could find it was either Bass Pro Shop or Cabellas. I don't remember which one I bought it from but it was the cheapest I found. I still have para cord left so that's the only reason I still use para cord. When I run out I, won't buy any more para cord its gotten to expensive. This stuff can replace para cord, and for me it will. Unless I need para cord for a special project or something specific.

34. WestrnBushcrft

WestrnBushcrft Guide

Blog Posts:
    $8 at CanteenShop pretty good I'll say! I'll have to pick me up some!

35. akabu

akabu Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Buy from both Memphis and Wallace before that Cabelas in the Decoy cord section.Advantage in saltwater as they don't soak up water and break down like the masons line.I use the heavier Braided for peg tie outs on tarps and ridge lines as it is more compact when I stuff it in the bag.
    I keep a hank in my back pocket all the time comes in very handy with little bulk.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  36. WestrnBushcrft

WestrnBushcrft Guide

Blog Posts:
    Your not the only one!!!

37. ohski

ohski Guide

Blog Posts:
    So... I read though all this and I'm amazed at all the differences in the line. I know opinions will very but still. Anyway, I picked some of this stuff up last year from Bass Pro (right by my house) and it's the same stuff on the Canteenshop site. I actually thought I got the wrong stuff because I didn't notice any tar on the line. When burnt (like melting the ends) I smell it but thats about it.

I really haven't used it for much yet though I did spend a couple of hours last weekend making a lanyard for my firesteel (GO BUSHCLASS). A side note here is that I never had any trace of it on my hands when I was complete.

I guess I lucked out... Ski

38. Joe Willson

Joe Willson Guide

Blog Posts:
    Use the braided line and not the 3 strand. You still need to melt the ends but it does not have to be the instant it is cut. I have several spools I used when diving.

39. cloudraker

cloudraker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I still have not seen a good reason IMO.

Stops line from fraying? I don't see it being better than melting, tying a knot, or back splicing a larger diameter rope.

Stops rotting? Not an advantage in synthetic fibers, IMO

Holds a knot better. OK maybe, but a well tied knot should hold if tied correctly.

40. EagleRiverDee

EagleRiverDee Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love bankline, I actually prefer it (by a lot) to paracord. I got mine here from Cabellas. It's got a 250# test which is plenty for nearly anything I'm going to do, and I can pack a lot more of it in a much smaller space than I can paracord. In case you're wondering, the quality of the tarred bank line from Cabellas is top notch. The tarring is uniform throughout the spool, and it definitely smells like tar. It's grippy stuff.

As to why-

It's better for making snares - It's a little stiff and can be made to hold a shape
    It's better for making a bow saw- grips the spindle much better than 550
    It's lighter by the foot so you can carry a lot more
    You don't have to burn the ends to keep them from fraying
    It holds a knot like nobody's business

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  41. glen1100

glen1100 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A good alternative for tarred bank line is seine twine, it's used for making repairing nets. Costs about the same or a little less, just as strong and knots well and is easier to find were I live

42. Crco

Crco Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree with the others, Memphis Net & Twine is the best and cheapest place to get high-grade Bank Line.

IMPORTANT NOTE - There are approximately 12 different weights/sizes of "Bank Line". You need to research these variants and determine the best sort for your needs. Typically, the 7 sizes inbetween #12 and #36 are good for general bushcrafting concerns. If you understand "breaking strength" stats and the bushcrafting activities you'll be partaking, you'll have a better understanding of how to properly utilize this versatile and lightweight cordage.

43. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    The main advantage is stiffness so easier to work with, less tangles, doesn't start unraveling instantly when cut like limp untarred nylon. Also the dark color blends in better. Also it smells nice. :4:

44. Brazito

Brazito Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the link! There is so much more on their site I need/want.

45. Adam

Adam Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I’ve been using the untarred stuff for quite some time. It’s decent cordage, reasonably priced and works for a lot of applications. You can carry a fair amount in a small package, which is nice.

46. bigvisk

bigvisk Scout

Blog Posts:
    this is where i get it as well. i dont get the 300lb test, but some of the lighter stuff, 106lb and 170lb, i also carry paracord. i love paracord for tarps and stuff because it has stretch, catfish line does not. i use the "Bank" line for lots of small stuff, practice traps, and... bank lines.

47. Wildmike

Wildmike Scout

Blog Posts:
    google Wallace Cordage co. check under tarred nylon twine in their search and you'll find a bunch of weights available...and at great prices. A couple of the heavier weights have greater tensile strength than Para- Cord.

This stuff hols a knot great waaay better than para cord

48. Trapper joe

Trapper joe Scout

Blog Posts:
    the wally world stuff is marketed by the lehigh group in PA.was at Wally world today and it was on closeout for $7.got some #36 x 486.package say's it is nylon,poly blend.it is made in china

49. tree-ratsniper

tree-ratsniper Guide

Blog Posts:
    I bought mine at the local fishing tackle shop for $6.00, IIRC it was even USA made.

50. Teno

Teno Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just found 250lb dyneema fishing line, in the bottom of my fishing gear....! Will try to wax it, and try to reproduce tarred line. Is too expensive to get a spool donwhere!!!