Teepee plans

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by postman, Dec 12, 2012.

1. postman

postman Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Bought a 10x20 canvas tarp and I want to make a teepee. Has anyone made one, or have plans to make one? Thanks.

2. sledjockey

sledjockey Skookum's Bro Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I grew up staying with friends and relatives with tipis. Traditional tipis can be warm, protect you well from the elements and leave the middle open for a fire to cook. This is the style I know very well.

Here is my suggestion if you are going with a traditional style:

If you are going to do this, you really must start with your poles. Getting the right poles is VERY important. Pine (lodgepole pine) is preferred and make sure you have between 1/4 to 1/3 the length of the pole sticking up above the top of your knot at the top. I have seen many people mess up their tipi that did not have long enough poles and they really moved a lot when the wind blew because of this. I don't know the physics of it, but it is important. Also, make sure you get proper length poles for your vent/flap. If they are too short, a wind will knock them over and you will be at the storm's mercy.

Grommet all your lacing holes and reinforce everything that might have stress such as places where you tie your lining to your poles, your ground skirt, etc. They will break even if you don't think they will.... They will..... Just saying.....

Do some research and find some good pictures of traditional constructions, that way you know what they are supposed to look like. I would then find someone from Wyoming, or some other high wind state, that has used them a lot in bad weather. The 4 wrap versus 3 wrap method on the poles, the digging in on your ground skirt, proper material and installation of your lining all are very important and are hard to teach via a written medium.

You might be able to find someone from rendezvous groups in your area? I can answer what I can via forum, but it is really hard if you are not standing there pointing and showing.

Now if you are doing a nontraditional tipi, I take all that back and say, "Good luck. I didn't even know other types existed until a few weeks ago." ;)

3. Gumbi

Gumbi Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This guy does it! And using a tarp with the exact same dimensions you have! It isn't a genuine authentic teepee, but you won't have to do any cutting or sewing in order to put it up.

I thought it looked like fun, but I have not done it myself. Be sure to update this post and let us know how it goes! :)

[video=youtube;2EG7IzT5yVs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EG7IzT5yVs[/video]

[video=youtube;fK25Y0WL9c8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK25Y0WL9c8[/video]

4. gamer

gamer Tracker

Blog Posts:
  5. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Pretty good little videos . Mainly find center, strike an arc from center to corner put in tarp clips equi distant around base . Cut off excess material . Make a tripod in one case , just use center pole in the other case .

Those tarp clips are pretty cool .

6. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Warren Miller has one in his book "Camping Out", page 157. Also has a verbal description, but that's all i know of right off the bat. It's available for download on this site, or you can find it online for free too.

7. Long John Tinfoil

Long John Tinfoil Guide

Blog Posts:
    IIRC, there's a plan in Ben Hunt's Indiancraft.

LJT

8. Prof

Prof Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    After I watched the videos, I made a small paper model, and rolled it into a cone with 60 degree sides, just to see what he was talking about.

The Sibley tent from the 1850s and '60s is cone-shaped with a single center pole and a ring at the top for a stovepipe to go through. There was a cone-shaped sheet metal "Sibley stove" that sat in the center of the tent to heat it. If your tipi is a non-traditional one, this might be an option.

In any case, good luck with your project, and I'll look forward to seeing the finished product!

9. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    Well I cut my 20 foot by 10 foot semi circle out of 4 mill plastic reinforced with shipping tape . Measured out 6 equdistant points on the base of the semi circle Found 6 saplings out in the woods dead ( Ash borers) . Began erecting it and it appears quite strong but it was windy and dark so tomorrow Ill continue and post some pics .

I wanted this for our winter campout this comeing weekend with some days a high of 11 degrees fahrenheit as a high .

10. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
  11. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    Great downloads G.O.
    I came inside and played around with little river making paper models and suddenly realized why my teepee was not lining up worth a hoot .

It is so stupid Im a little worried about my mental status . Aluminum pots can cause early onset of Alzheimers Ive heard . Guess Ill be swithching to stainless .

12. Loosearrow

Loosearrow Scout

Blog Posts:
    Book, Indian Tipi by Reginald Laubin. I think that is correct. It's been 20 years since I read it.

13. WarPony

WarPony Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thumbs up on the Laubin book. It is a VERY good read....... LOTS of great info and history in there, too.

Jeff

14. Grillsgt

Grillsgt Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Here's a book I have that has plans in it that could be scaled down if you need, I have a tipi that is about 15 ft tall with 17 poles if you pm me I have a spare one of these books i would be glad to send you. [​IMG]

15. Rubicon_Dave

Rubicon_Dave Scout

Blog Posts:
    this is what I used for my Range Tipi... Canvas tarp from Sherwin Williams and some Mule Tape for the sewn loops.

This is made from a 12' X 18' canvas painter's tarp and the bottom edges of each triangle section are 8 feet long, and the height of each triangle is roughly 8~9 feet. This creates an 8' X 8' floor space which is fine for two people and a small stove. Mine gets used in the snow so I didn't include a sod cloth...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013