The best homestead herb (imwo)

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by Brad.H., Feb 16, 2017.

1. Brad.H.

Brad.H. Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The best homestead herb (in my wive's opinion to the least but it is truly a great herb and a piece of the garden that we use every day).

What is your best or favorite herb?

hunter63, Badey, JosephDurham and 4 others like this.
  2. Swarvegorilla

Swarvegorilla Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like your cup! Very shiny.

Around here the lemon grass grows like crazy, so I tend to use that instead.

Fave herb? I have to go with fathen. Just a tough, self seeding plant that goes with several of my favourite meals.

Brad.H. likes this.
  3. funkja

funkja Scout

Blog Posts:
    Is chamomile and herb? I tossed some chamomile seeds around the foundation last year and they really took off. I'd go out every day when I got home from work and clip the biggest flowers and then dry them on a cookie sheet on top of the cupboards. Every few days I'd dump them into a vacuum jar, at the end of the summer I had a lot! I was able to brew up nightly cup of tea before bed through most of the winter. And it was night and day compared to store bought chamomile tea in the taste department!

Brad.H. likes this.
  4. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I guess I would have to say...IMO,..there is no "Best Herb"....unless you are talking about....aha , well......never mind.
    They are all "Best" for one thing or another..

Lemon balm is one I have grown but, honestly not made much use of....was interesting what made it "The Best".. in your opinion.
    My favorites are.....and I consider herb as they are teas, or garnishes...as opposed to "eatable Greens'

Horseradish, mint, chives, (all invasive BTW...but you will never run out....)
    Cilantro/colander, oregano are also grown and dried.

Chamomile and rose hip tea w/honey...favorite for winter, ....after coming in from the cold.
    Worked all summer cutting chamomile drying the flowers, saving in a jar (using some along the way).....to get a jar full for winter.
    Went to a farmers market...bought a quart mason jar full...for $5 bucks...but wasn't as good as mine(?) LOL

5. GGTBod

GGTBod Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    my favourite homestead plant is and always will be cannabis

medicine, oil, fiber and food all in one plant

6. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Healthy and mellow....Gottcha.

Brad.H. and GGTBod like this.
  7. Brad.H.

Brad.H. Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. We have two, they are Amazon buys and double insulated SS. Our coffee and tea cups every day. Good herb choice!

That is awesome and a great way to make use of your land and your favorite herb!

Chives and Chamomile! Awesome!!

Not a bad choice and few natural plants have more uses in medicine and culinary.

Thanks Hunter63

GGTBod likes this.