The hardwoodsman tab requirements

Discussion in 'Turley Knives' started by Iz, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Iz

Iz MEMBER of a BANNED Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Hi,guys

First things first WATCH THE VIDEOS BEFORE YOU ASK ME A QUESTION PLEASE!

So here are the requirements to earn the patch:
    Complete stage one challenges (in any order) before moving to stage two challenges. EXCEPT FOR THE FIRE IN THE RAIN TASK. YOU MAY MOVE TO STAGE TWO WITHOUT COMPLETING IT. YOU MAY DO THE FIRE IN THE RAIN TASK AT ANY TIME DURING STAGE ONE OR TWO.

ALL TASKS MUST BE COMPLETED IN THE WOODS. NO BACK YARDS AND NO BESIDE THE TRUCK SKILLS. THAT IS IF YOU ARE ABLE, IF YOU ARE NOT THEN SEND ME A P.M. AND WE'LL GET IT STRAIGHTENED OUT.

All friction fire challenges must show A. materials gathered and used (you did that) B. Must show a quick shot of the ember being formed and completed (lit and smoking) in the hearth board.

NOW HEAR THIS

These are video only submissions.

This whole thing is arbitrary and at my discretion on what gets a go and what doesn't.

If it chaps your rear that I might no-go a video you spent all day on, don't enter this course.
    Most of all, have fun, practice these skills as hardcore as you can and you'll get more than patch at the end.

And remember, guys you know if you're half assing it (pardon my language). Like my old drills used to say, if you're half assing it you're only hurting yourself. This is about training that will keep you alive or keep you out of trouble.
    Just remember that if you do earn the patch then you won't have slouches in your ranks because of the strict requirements.
    So have fun and get it done!

1: Although I highly recommend you being bush class basic certified it's not necessary if you want to do the hardwoodsman challenges. I recommend it because I don't really teach much in these examples below, I'm not a great teacher so I avoid it if at all possible. These tasks are built off the foundation you get with bushclass basic so if you have never done some of this stuff then you should start there.
    If you have or if you just want to give it a shot anyway then come on in, we'd be glad to have you.

Please bear in mind that most of these video examples below were not done with the intention of having a challenge like this. I did them just for fun. So some of them will not display the full rules that are in the challenges. They are for a rough example only, the rules written above trump anything in the videos in most cases. If you have questions please ask.

2:FIRE CHAIN
    *Note that fire chain is all done in one sitting. Don't post that as separate tasks*
    Acquire all parts for friction fire method of your choice on site. A knife and man-made cordage are allowed.
    All parts must be gathered and made on site (If it is the bow drill method you choose then hand hold and bow must be made on site also).
    Make a friction fire using NATURAL tinder gathered on site. If it's wet then you'll have to use the split wood and shavings method.
    Here's a vid on how to do it if you need it.

[video=youtube;BJwozxaX_SY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJwozxaX_SY[/video]
    Once you have a fire going you must char natural material of your choice WITHOUT container or man made vessel. Be creative here. You can use the punkwood method I show here if you need to.
    [video=youtube;0IC7jZf-8Pk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IC7jZf-8Pk[/video]
    Once you have your char then you must build a second fire using a steel striker and flint with that char you just made. (fire begets fire)
    Here's video on how to use the charred punk
    [video=youtube;Utr2MBCz_4U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utr2MBCz_4U[/video]

3.MAN IN THE CREEK DRILL
    As fast as is SAFELY possible is the key here. Waist high flames. Ignitions source can be any that you NORMALLY carry in your fire kit. Dump whatever you have in your kit and light it. DO NOT JUMP IN the water. I don't want you getting dead on one of these challenges. This is a simulation. If you do jump in the water you'll get an automatic no-go.. No need to run like a madman, just move with purpose. If at all possible, do this in a river bottom, creek bottom, lake shore etc.
    [video=youtube;uMTCQmrQ09k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMTCQmrQ09k[/video]

ALL SPLIT WOOD FIRES MUST BE LIT WITH A FIRE STEEL AND BY USING EITHER SCRAPINGS OR SHAVINGS (unless otherwise stated in a specific challenge). NO OTHER TINDER IS ALLOWED. SEE THESE VIDEOS FOR REFERENCE
    [video=youtube;6I_WSt4tJu0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I_WSt4tJu0[/video]

[video=youtube;pP78VRig3mo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP78VRig3mo[/video]
    **** I NEED TO SEE A CLOSE UP IN AT LEAST ONE OF YOU VIDEOS OF YOU LIGHTING THE SPLIT WOOD FIRE AS DESCRIBED ABOVE. ***
    4.SPLIT WOOD FIRE THREE TIMES THE PREP
    You must start three fires consecutively. That's the only way to insure you made three times the prep. Ignition source is by ferro rod only.
    [video=youtube;pJPkYL5orsg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJPkYL5orsg[/video]
    5. SOLO OVERNIGHTER
    NO PETS ALLOWED. I want you guys to get a feel of going totally solo i f you haven't already.

6. BUILD A NATURAL SHELTER WITH NO TOOLS AND OVERNIGHT IN IT
    Watch the entire video. Important safety info is in there.
    [video=youtube;EglXTQ09Lsc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EglXTQ09Lsc[/video]

7. NAVIGATE TO A SPOT YOU'VE NEVER BEEN
    using a map and compass. NO GPS' allowed. You must pick a spot on the topo map and navigate off-trail to that spot using your land nav skills.
    DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING
    [video=youtube;8a-RvrR_IOo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a-RvrR_IOo[/video]

[video=youtube;Y9PMLXLQa4Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9PMLXLQa4Y[/video]

[video=youtube;3QlhsuwVj5g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QlhsuwVj5g[/video]

[video=youtube;wFJm4OFulDA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFJm4OFulDA[/video]l]

8. SPLIT WOOD FIRE IN THE RAIN
    You are allowed a tarp for your camera but not to keep your prep dry. Use only bark (natural materials) or you're rain coat/clothing you are wearing to keep your prep dry. Ignition source is by fero rod only. Tinder is inner heart wood scrapings or shavings only
    I shouldn't have to say this but NO FATWOOD OR BIRCH BARK ALLOWED
    No, light sprinkles won't count. Be ready to be mad at me if you do it in light rain, It will be totally subjective because there is no way to gauge this. If I think it's not raining hard enough then I'll no go it. So, if you don't NEED rain gear while doing this then it's not raining hard enough. And don't put on rain gear in a sprinkle to try to convince me it's raining harder than it is. heh.
    Also there's another side of the coin. Don't do this is a toad strangling down pour. Use common sense. This is not a skill you would use in that situation. In something like that you would seek shelter or build shelter and then you'd make a fire under it's protection. Use common sense.
    Edit as of 3/5/14 These videos must have audio. Don't put music over it, don't mute the audio and don't use a case that blocks the mic. I need to be able to hear the rain to get a sense of how hard it's coming down, I can't do that if it has music over it or if there is no audio.

YOU MAY MOVE TO STAGE TWO WITHOUT COMPLETING THIS TASK. YOU MAY DO THE FIRE IN THE RAIN TASK AT ANY TIME DURING STAGE ONE OR TWO.
    IF YOU LIVE IN A DESERT ENVIRONMENT THAT GETS VERY LITTLE RAIN, P.M. ME FOR A WAIVER ON THIS TASK. I'LL COME UP WITH SOMETHING ELSE FOR YOU TO DO INSTEAD OF FIRE IN THE RAIN.
    I can't explain it any better than the man himself.
    [video=youtube;c90jBC31lrU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c90jBC31lrU[/video]

9. ONE HAND, WEAK HAND SPLIT WOOD FIRE
    If you're right handed then use only your left. If you left handed then use only your right.
    No squaw wood (twigs), no fatwood and no birch bark allowed.
    Use whatever tools you normally carry in your pack to get the job done. Trust me, you'll need them. MUST IGNITE WITH FIRESTEEL
    [video=youtube;m6EmLepHgqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6EmLepHgqA[/video]

POST YOUR VIDEO EVIDENCE IN THIS THREAD http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47737

NOTHING PRIOR WILL COUNT
    All videos will need to be done for this patch specifically.

Have fun and good luck.

Be sure to keep track of your post numbers so you can send them to me for review and I can give you the go ahead for stage two.

Stage two requirements found here
    http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1100909#post1100909

DISCLAIMER
    *Myself, Turley knives, bushcraftusa.com or it's owners are not responsible if you hurt yourself (or worse) while doing these tasks. Use common sense and don't do any of this if you don't know what you are doing.*

[​IMG]

Those who have earned the Hardwoodsman patch, those who have prepared and persevered.
    #02 kcardwel
    #03 Sweeney guy
    #04 Luvhambo
    #05 Cockeyedhunter
    #06 Brainchild

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  2. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Dirt Merchant Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I am all over this, I am even going cross-country in the wheelchair for the navigation portion...I want to find this quarry I saw on a map.

I will be a good challenge, and I'll be proud to wear the tab!

Good stuff Iz.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  3. kgd

kgd Dr. Fishguts Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Dang that's cool Iz. There are some real challenges in there. LOL as long as I can bring my left hand for #5, we should be alright!

4. Iz

Blog Posts:
    You're one of the most capable people I know , Josh and you know how much I respect that about you. So don't take this as a bad thing, you can most definitely take the 4 wheeler for the land nav part. Do not risk screwing something up for this. I know you have no quit in you but this is about being smart. You know your limits so I'll shut up and let you get to it.

t.m.i. brother. waaay t.m.i.

5. Sweeneyguy

Sweeneyguy Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Are 5 and 6 two separate or can we do those all at once?

6. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    intense.

7. Iz

Blog Posts:
    You can do them at once daddy-o.

8. Iz

Blog Posts:
    It'll be fun though, right?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  9. MATT CHAOS

MATT CHAOS Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm way in on this one! Thanks for doing this! I can't wait to do it!

10. jloden

jloden Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nice, I'm on it! there are some real challenges in there. Several are things on my list of personal challenges too. You've already got me thinking up plans :D

11. Iz

Blog Posts:
    You bet, Matt and J..

12. jloden

jloden Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Iz, does everything have to be gathered at the same time as making the friction fire? For example I just collected basswood and cattails from the same location for learning hand drill, but they were cut green and need to season. Would that count or does it have to be all done same day? Not sure if the focus is on the natural materials or on improvising a friction fire "on demand" as it were.

13. One Legged Josh

Blog Posts:
    I hear you brutha, and trust me, self-preservation is first on my list! LOL
    I will take a buddy, (who is a trail runner) to help if needed. I appreciate it though!

Edit~~ I just looked its about 2/3 mile from a bike trail, not a walk in the park, but not as far as I thought.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  14. BillCr

BillCr Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Holy smokes! Fantastic Iz and this will be a great goal to work toward and will be alot of fun.

15. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I knew something was in the wind, I woke up a HARDwoodsman this morning!

Can't wait to knock these out.

16. sidecarr

sidecarr Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Im in , will start this as soon as I get time.

17. BillCr

BillCr Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Will a USGI poncho be OK for the make a fire in the rain so long as I'm wearing the poncho?

18. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Great challenge Bro

19. RangerJoe

Blog Posts:
    Yes Iz, it will be a very fun challenge., thank you very much for putting these challenges up!

20. RangerJoe

Blog Posts:
    I love the old vids...vintage bindlestitch

21. Iz

Blog Posts:
    J, it's about "on demand" for sure. No pre gathered stuff allowed, it has to be done on site and the whole chain has to be completed in one sitting.

You dang right it is. You're using your noggin already I see.:dblthumb:

Old school, baby!

22. J

J Bushwhacker Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very cool.....No easy tasks. Good job putting this together Iz.

23. Kerri

Kerri úlfheðnar Hobbyist Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Awesome whole bunch of first for me I guess that means I owe a couple cases of beer lol. It's gonna be a tough one buy then again if it wasn't chalenging then what's the point of doin it right. Very cool stuff Iz

24. Sweeneyguy

Sweeneyguy Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Hey Iz.... So is this entirely separate from the Bushclass?

Meaning can I use an overnight for the Intermediate class as your solo overnight? As long as it was solo of course.

Oh....and I'm assuming no Birch for the splitwood fire in the rain?

This is way cool and I will work on this along with my other classes.

25. Adam

Adam Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Wow, no “twist paracord in your La-Z-Boy” on that list…

I guess I better finish Bushclass….

26. DCM

DCM The more I know the less I understand Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Inspirational and definitely something for me to strive for. It'll hopefully motivate me to "make" the time necessary to complete the tasks. Complete this and it would be a badge of honor. Thanks for the motivation brother :dblthumb:

27. Grizzix

Grizzix Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This is an awesome opportunity. I look forward to the challenge. I WILL wear that tab. Thanks.

28. Iz

Blog Posts:
    Although it's not associated with bushclass you sure can use your tasks interchangeably if you like. No problem there.
    Correct, no birch bark for the s.w.f. in the rain. No "helpers" at all, this it he hardwoodsman tab for crying out loud!;)

Good stuff, J. Yeah, it really opens your eyes to exactly how much three times is when you have to build three fires with it. Makes you realize that you usually skimp when you make a fire.

29. RangerXanatos

RangerXanatos Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for putting this up Iz. This along with the Bushclass is a great set of goals for any person wanting to spend time out in the bush and helps them to prepare mentally for any inconveniences out there. You won't find many armchair bushcrafters on this forum!

30. John Fenna

John Fenna Scout Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    For the navigation bit - would a scan of my mountain leader recommendation or the cover of one of the 3 books I have written on walking in West Wales count?
    There are not many places around these parts that I have not used map and compas to find:) - and as an Outdoors Skills Instructor I used to teach nav for various outdoor centres around Wales and Northern England....

31. One Legged Josh

Blog Posts:
    I did this solo over-nighter recently for J's PSK challenge.... It was a no frills, learning experience. The dog did not attend. But in the essence of these challenges I will do another specifically for this challenge thread. Thanks again Iz.

PSK overnight - YouTube

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  32. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I plan to start from scratch for all of mine, and tailor them towards a hardwoods envrioment. Might take me a while, but I want to gain from this not just put another notch in my stock.

33. Toddler

Toddler Guest

Blog Posts:
    I'm in!

Ok Brother, you got me! Patches are too cool, I'll jump through fire for patches!

34. MATT CHAOS

Blog Posts:
    Split Fire Wood 3 x the Prep

Redoing my 2 attempts.

35. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    No pics Bro

36. MATT CHAOS

Blog Posts:

Technical difficulties. Fixed now.

37. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Like Brother RangerJoe said intense Thanks IZ

38. MATT CHAOS

Blog Posts:
    Man in the Creek Drill

Redoing my attempt.

39. turkeytracks

turkeytracks Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Good stuff Iz. Thanks for putting these up.

40. Sgt. Mac

Blog Posts:
    Same here

41. MATT CHAOS

Blog Posts:

That's the Boy Scout in you! :3:

42. J

Blog Posts:
    Yup.....I was at the advanced with you, but im still gonna go get wet. No passes for this hardwoodsman. Hmmm....looks like it could rain outside right now.

43. J

Blog Posts:
    Another suggestion Iz, a seperate thread for the skills pics so guys with questions can post here, and the "homework" can go in the other thread. Ala Bushclass. I also think that anything including outings you did for bushclass basic shouldnt count to the requirements for this, since bushclass basic is a requirement in itself. Just runnin my pie hole though....lol

44. One Legged Josh

Blog Posts:
    :cool:

45. Iz

Blog Posts:
    John, if you've written three books on the subject then yeah a scan will do.

You're good to go with this Josh.

46. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Like Many I to am going to start from scratch . Plan on take time and Hopefully The rain fire making will will be snow LOL

47. Iz

Blog Posts:
    Alright, this is gonna disappoint some of you and I'm sorry for that.
    But this being the hardwoodsman tab I really think these skills should be done in the woods. I've got nothing against back yard bushcraft but the whole point of this set of skills is to make you a better woodsman, not a better back yard woodsman. And if you're able you should walk into the woods, I really don't want to see any beside your truck posts either.

I hope that doesn't come off as being a jerk because I'm not trying to be.
    I'll change the rules to reflect that in the first post.

It's still ok to use previous stuff if you want to but it's gotta be woods stuff.
    This is about practicing the skills that may one day save your life or keep you from getting into a life threatening situation to begin with.
    This isn't about selling a patch to me, it's about helping motivate people to have a get it done attitude and practice the skills that make us Hardwoodsmen.
    Hope everyone understands.

48. Kerri

Blog Posts:
    What if your back yard is the woods

49. Iz

Blog Posts:
    lol. Yeah, that counts bro.

50. Kerri