"The Hunger Games" as a catalyst for bushcraft

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by Sandcut, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Sandcut

Sandcut Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Although this doesn't exactly constitute an "expedition" by any sense of the word, today appeared to be a bit of a turning point with my kids as far as their sense of enthusiasm for doing things "bushcrafty."

Up until today, most things that my girls have done in the realm of bushcraft have generally been as a result of dad's poking and prodding to some degree. Bushcraft/fieldcraft/woodscraft was something that was essentially dad's hobby that they would tag along with to spend time with me. However...

Yesterday we took the girls to go see the movie "The Hunger Games." It was actually my wife's idea since she recently read the book and promised elder daughter that we'd go see it over Easter break if elder daughter finished the book in time. In short, the protagonist/heroine of the story is a teenaged girl named Katniss who is forced to rely on her own survival skills in order to survive a barbaric, government sanctioned game. The girls absolutely LOVED it!.

I only realized just how much they loved it when, as soon as they got home from Easter church services, they quickly changed and went storming out of the house with their knives and younger daughter's hatchet. When I asked them what they were going to do, I was informed that they were going to "make some spears!" The little stinkers spent the entire day in the woods behind the house making spears, throwing spears, making bows, shooting bows, overturning logs to try to camouflage themselves or to make caches for their newly made weaponry and setting makeshift snares with 10 lb fishing line. They were out the whole day except for dinner and came in just before dark when the blackflies came out.

I started to think about it and realized that, up until seeing the movie, bushcraft was an "old man's" pasttime. It was something that your dad did, not something cool. After seeing this movie, they could envision themselves doing these things because they now had someone that is like them to emulate. Not an old man, but a young girl. And not just any young girl, but the heroine of the story.

It is my opinion that stories like this that portray young girls in a positive light are far too few and far between. For those of you that have kids, especially daughters, you may want to take them to see this movie. It may make all that stuff that you want them to do with you a whole lot more relevant.

Guess who is starting the book after the kids go to bed. The wife says the book goes in to much more detail about how Katniss finds food and shelter.

Here's my little spear makers.

IMG00589-20120408-1134.jpg

IMG00590-20120408-1135.jpg

2. rotormedic

rotormedic Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I totally agree with you. My oldest daughter had shot her bow more these past few days than ever. She love s to watch Stroud and Dave/Cody's shows as well now. we are planning a overnight soon.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

3. kgd

kgd Dr. Fishguts Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Cool stuff. It was a pretty good movie too!

4. drewhelean

drewhelean Guest

Blog Posts:
    I took my kids to see the movie the weekend it opened. I just started the book.

5. Mrwhitetailfanatic

Mrwhitetailfanatic Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I think its was an awesome movie. If it gains popularity for bushcraft it's even more awesome. The books are a lot more detailed with skills than portrayed in the movie. That's what my wife tells me anyways.

6. Sandcut

Sandcut Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I aim to find out for myself.

7. stienthor

stienthor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    very cool story. love the pics

8. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    thanks for sharing this. as a father of two daughters, now 17 and 21, i firmly believe what you say about strong role models. there just aren't enough available in the normal media/tv. do we really want everyone to be a NJ Housewife? or one of the Kardashians? or Whitney Houston? thank god my wife likes Dr Quinn, the Waltons, and Little House, and my daughters grew up watching with her, absorbing the lessons...

American Hunter (the NRA mag, March 2010 issue) had an article on a father who took his 18 year old daughter on a two week long brown bear hunt in AK, and the impact it had on her (found it in the barber shop last week). brought it home to my youngest, who is still reading the artcle, but my guess is she'll like it. we have yet another father-daughter canoe trip planned for this summer.

When they were little, my mom used to try to get them princess-ey stuff (clothes and toys). i made her take it all back. i can honestly say they never once wore a "princess" t-shirt. we saw all the kiddie princess movies, but i focused on Mulan and other strong female role models, and pretty much belittled the helpless princesses. my daughters are named after two historical queens. i've always made a point of taking them along on 'bring your daughter to work' day, and introduced them to female army officers or other managers, with particular emphasis on scope of work, education, and people skills needed to cope. i've always made them kill their own spiders... "you want it dead, you kill it." they learned.

when we went camping, i used to have to carry barbies or american girl dolls along... with outfits. but they were outdoors, with me, and loved it... not tomboys... just girls who liked to be out. oldest eventually gave it up, but the philosophy of 'do it yourself' lived.

mom told me a few years ago, after she'd seen my oldest reach majority and was back up in NY for college, that she now understood what i was doing, and that i had been right. my goal has always been to make them strong, self-secure, independent, women, who didn't NEED someone to take care of them. if they want a man around, it will be on their terms, because they WANT him, not because they NEED him.

btw, horses are good for girls too. never met a girl into horses who wasted time chasing boys... and i don't know a single woman who is into horses who can't handle her own pickup, trailer, and horse by herself, no matter her physical size.

You younger fathers, remember two things: 1) love their mother, and 2) you are your daughter's first boyfriend. How you treat her will set the standard for all other men in her life. Set the bar high, and your son-in-law won't be a disappointment.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  9. Sandcut

Sandcut Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Testify, brother!!!!

In 17 years of being married I only ever excercised my spousal veto power once. That was when it was suggested by my wife that the girls had been asking for Bratz dolls for their birthdays. Call me puritanical if you will, but that just wasn't EVER going to happen while I drew breath.

She finally came around to agreeing with me. :D

10. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    i just went over 25 years...

i hear ya... what's next? "Bitchez" dolls? or "Slutz"? Speaking of which, neither daughter has ever worn a pair of sweatpants out in public, least of all with something written across the a$$... who's the parent? you let your daughter buy what?! this applies to sons too... plenty of nasty slogans out there... sad thing is i see it on adults' clothing too.

one of the advantages of living where i do is that it's easy to point out the results of poor choices, quitting school, and being 'easy'... lots of examples, seen daily... my daughters want none of it. if you've not been there, a visit to "peopleofwalmart.com" will explain what i mean... i keep thinking 'hey, i've seen that guy/gal'.

I'd heard the story in Hunger Games was pretty brutal, but read a review saying that as it was directed at a tween audience, it couldn't really go past a PG-13 rating, so the actual blood and violence is more implied than visible... can anyone vouch for it? might be worth seeing (though i have to drive 20 miles to a theater!)

11. ashman

ashman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I read all three of the books. My 12 year old daughter started them and said she thought I would like them because of the survival aspect. Read "Hunger Games", "Catching Fire", and "Mocking Jay". The movie was good, but seemed like a fast forward version of the book. Great series in my opinion.

12. Sandcut

Sandcut Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Sir, you are freaking me out. This is like having a conversation with a mirror or my doppleganger. Too funny.

Congrats on that!.

I always called them "Prostitutz" dolls. :)

I had heard the same thing, but quite frankly, it was pretty tame. The Harry Potter movies were more graphic and scary. Most network TV shows are too. My girls are 9 and not quite 11 and there was nothing in the movie that concerned either me or my wife. I think that a lot of folks are more freaked out over the concept of the movie more than anything.

13. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just started the book myself. My students wouldn't stop talking about it!

I'm glad to hear it's had such an effect on your kids. That's awesome!

--
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so please forgive any typos.

14. Marke41

Marke41 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I agree with Ashman. I read the first book this past week and then went with my daughter today, so the story was still fresh in my mind. I can see why they cut what they cut due to trying to keep the pacing going for a movie. Overall, not too shabby of a movie.

I would recommend reading the book first. It's written in first person, so you get a really good feel for what the main character is going through (plus the book delves into and gives a better feel for the bushcraft aspects).

15. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I saw the movie with my 13 yr old son and about a week later, he asked me to teach him to shoot a bow when before, he had no interest at all. My 21 yr old son saw it a week after that and also asked about shooting a bow...I am heading to the archery store for a couple of lighter bows.
    My take on the movie may have been a bit different than theirs; I saw it with a bit of our current times in it, ie., govt controlling the food, money,travel, and basic freedoms of the folks who produce the necessities of life. It was much more prevalent in the story but the exec order signed lately regarding emergency govt powers and the story about the new installation in Utah for the NSA that can listen in on virtually any ph call or see any email seem to dovetail nicely with the premise of the movie.
    It was mentioned above that the movie was a fast-forward of the book; I agree. It was entertaining, a new idea, and it has interested younger folks in the outdoors; a big win in my opinion. Now, off to get those bows...

Regards,

ezra

16. Sandcut

Sandcut Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    The wife informs me that, since the girls had today off of school for Easter break, they spent a large part of the day outside in the woods again. Before going out, elder daughter dug up an old tube from some wrapping paper, added some duct tape, some grizzly hackle from my fly tying stuff and her mocking jay pin and made a quiver for her arrows.

IMG00600-20120409-1632.jpg

17. ezra45

Blog Posts:
    Now that piece of gear is something to be proud of! Good on her!

Regards,

ezra

18. Fischereco2

Fischereco2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I thought the Hunger Games was awesome. I'm a bit too young to have a daughter, but if I did I would definitely rather they read/watch stuff like that than a lot of the other crap out there right now.

During the movie they played a trailer for the newest 'Twilight' movie. That represents everything wrong with the world right there. The heroine of the films is boring, has no personality, no skills, no strengths, and her only defining quality is that a vampire and werewolf like her, for reasons we are never entirely explained. Yeah, that's a great lesson to teach your daughter. Your value and self-worth as a human being can only be measured by how much someone else is inexplicably in love with you.

Anyway, it's not just girls and teens who are being inspired by this film. I'm a 23 year old man already into Bushcraft and I'm not ashamed to admit that after seeing the movie I bought a bow and I'm reading the books. Okay, maybe I'm a little ashamed...:8:

19. WoodsJack

WoodsJack Guide

Blog Posts:
    LOL. Funny how much sense us ol' guys can make when it comes from someone else, huh?

But... isn't that movie about fight to the death sport?

20. Sandcut

Sandcut Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Maaaaaaaybe. :)

I'm deliberately trying to not set off the spoiler alarm.

Guess you'll just have to adopt/rent a daughter (in case you don't already have one) to justify going to see it so you know for sure. :D

21. Sandcut

Sandcut Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I'm already seeing this concept playing out full force among my younger daughter's friends. Did I mention that she's only in 3rd grade?

I wouldn't be too embarrassed about being motivated by the movie. It's not like you ran around all weekend in the woods with your bow pretending to be a 16 year old girl.

Or did you? :D

22. ezra45

Blog Posts:
    Jack,
    The sport is a by-product. The story, ( in the book) is about control and resourcefulness to combat it...and a LOT about outdoor skills (( bushcraft).

Regards,

Ezra

23. Kronos

Kronos Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I know that this is off topic with the current converstion but does any know what knfe

katness(the main charater) uses. Alot of my friends were asking me when we saw the movie.

24. Marke41

Marke41 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Supposedly, all of the knives/weapons were supplied to the movie production by JB Outman distribution.

I'm not sure in regards to the specific brand/model, but it looked like something I had come across on the TOPS site before.

Edit: The knife brand is apparently, EKA? I'm not familiar with this brand.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  25. Fischereco2

Fischereco2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I tried to figure that out as well. It looked a lot like certain 'Rambo' type survival knives. It could have been a prop manufactured specifically for the movie. Although I did notice several older Hibbens knives in the movies, specifically throwing knives.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  26. KarenMorningstar

KarenMorningstar Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have not personally seen Hunger Games, though I am considering it. But I can tell you that everyone whom I know of that is usually picky about films and has seen it, LOVES it. You can see clips of the movie and trailers online on youtube if you want to get a feel for it, but it seems like a worthwhile movie to me.

27. Sandcut

Sandcut Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Yep. I'm pretty snooty when it comes to movies and I give it a resounding "two thumbs up." I almost took the girls to see it for a second time yesterday since mom was working, but they opted to go fishing instead. (Good girls!)

I conducted a two hour nature hike/field trip for elder daughter's fifth grade class (actually two classes = 50 kids) two days ago. There wasn't one kid in the class that hadn't read the book and/or seen the movie. What an AWESOME way to segue science/social studies class into a field trip! The mere mention of the movie got the kids mentally primed for the trip. I had them looking for turtle eggs, finding gall fly eggs on last year's golden rods to use as fish bait, they learned about the wintergreen Lifesaver tree (yellow birch), the Fruit Rollup bush (Shadbush or Saskatoon), aspirin (salicin) in quaking aspen, making dye from alder bark, making rush lights from soft rush stems, and we tied it all together w/ the role of the Iroquois in the French and Indian war that they learned about by telling them that gathering and preparing most of what they learned would have been a task that a kid their age would have been responsible for. I'm convinced that they could have gone for another two hours if we had the time. I've forgotten how much fun it is to teach kids.

Apparently I must have done a pretty good job because elder daughter gave me a big ol' hug and kiss in front of everybody when we were done as they were heading off to lunch.

28. WoodsJack

WoodsJack Guide

Blog Posts:
    What - no Trapper knifes!?

29. foxfire

foxfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Went and seen it yesterday. It finally made it here. Thought it was good. I haven't read the book's.

30. Kel2

Kel2 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sandcut, thanks for the post. It's so refreshing to see girls out playing like kids and not wannabee reality show stars. And kudos for trusting them with tools! I'm betting they'll grow up with more self-confidence because of it.

31. Sandcut

Sandcut Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. Let's hope so.

32. darodalaf

darodalaf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Middle Rio Grande Valley, NM / Lower Hudson Valley
    I went over to a friend's house and on the floor was laid out upon a washcloth a neatly arranged collection including two types of pine needles, a seedhead from a grass stalk, a tiny pine cone, a pile of twigs, and a purple pebble.

I said, "What's this?" and his 4 year old daughter replied, "That's my Hunger Games." I couldn't help but laugh. They had only just come home from the movie an hour or two before and I doubt the little girl "got" much of it, but she must have gotten something.

33. Memnos

Memnos Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    my wife and I have read all the books, and my 11 yr old daughter has read the first one. but we haven't saw the movie yet. very good books, imo.

34. bearkat

bearkat Scout

Blog Posts:
    Amen! I cannot stand this either. My three girls know that if they shop for clothes without me they know better than buying pants with writing on the butts.

Now back to the OP...I read the books in three days. I couldn't put the books down. The ending, however, let me down. Wasnt a big fan of it.

Now that my oldest (13) daughter has read the books she seems to be all about learning about the outdoors especially the "bushcraft" things that weren't all that cool just 1 month ago.

My 10yo wants to read them but I don't feel she is ready for the gruesome scenes yet. She however was already into the bushcraft aspect of the outdoors.

I just want to thank Suzanne Collins for providing a great story on life and survival that just happens to have a strong female leading character.

35. MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I too, read all 3 books just about straight-through (I have all 3 on my Kindle) .. And, I also was not that thrilled with the ending of the trilogy - Seems like it should have ended better/differently .. OR , should have a 4th book in the series (to pull it all together)
    But, all-in-all, I thoroughly enjoyed the books, and would recommend them to 'just about' anyone :)

36. Sandcut

Sandcut Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys, no spoilers on the book's conclusion, OK? Some of us still haven't read it.

37. tree-ratsniper

tree-ratsniper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Saw the movie last weekend with the wife. It was pretty entertaining, the wife is in the process of reading one of the books. Maybe she'll take an interest as well!

38. briarbrow

briarbrow Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
  39. Sandcut

Sandcut Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. I'll show them when I get the computer fixed. Elder daughter's tablet can't do video.

40. dwolfhunter

dwolfhunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    OUr re-enactment community has experienced a major upswing in youth archery as a result of Hunger Games. I loved the books...the ending was poignant for me. The heroine showing her wounds still open even after the "war" is long over...much like a lot of veterans I know. I especially loved the aspects of self reliance and self preservation the heroine displayed...chiefly because she did it with a sense of unselfconsciousness. She did what she did because she was taught . She shared what she had because it was right for her to do so. Pretty cool stuff.

41. Two Bears

Two Bears Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    My wife and I just saw this movie this past Friday night. I have all 3 books but got them after I saw the movie and I haven't started reading them. They are high on my to read list. I can't wait for the next 2 movies. With things the way they are and governments they way they are it could happen, no, I don't mean government sponsored death games but something similar to the movie.

42. Two Bears

Two Bears Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    A couple of post were talking about the knives, I saw a CS Bushman knife I think it's called, it the hollow handle CS knife that you can make a pole to make a spear out of the knife.

43. Sandcut

Sandcut Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I noticed that as well. Most others were unrecognizable, to me at least.

44. ClovisMan

ClovisMan Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I figured I would comment on this thread. Last weekend was movie weekend for the daughter and I. She is 7 years old and we saw The Hunger Games and The Avengers. Now I catch her walking around outside playing with her friends with her PVC bow and foam tipped arrows strung across her back. I guess Katniss Everdeen and HawkEye made a real impression. LOL