"The Place: Our cabin in Missouri"

Discussion in 'Homesteading' started by Dadio, May 3, 2014.

1. Dadio

Dadio Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    It was a long work week that required me to be away from home for three days, and it rained most of that time. It was good to get back home and then out to the woods. Looks like a little more progress was made on the new lane, but not much, and to be fair it was probably too wet to expect much

The culvert doing what culverts do:
    [​IMG]

I spent most of the time this morning trimming up the weeds around the garden and berry patch. The sweet potatoes have made a comeback from being eaten by something (I'm guessing deer, or maybe rabbit). One of the grape vines I bought was older and larger, so I didn't prune it back and it had a nice little bunch of grapes. It's a seedless Concord variety. Some photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bloodied this little guy's nose weedeating, Most of that orange is mating color, though. It's a broadhead skink, (I think).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The current way in:
    [​IMG]

Not a photo of my place, but I ran across this travelling a couple days ago and was struck by the old vs new. I think I like the old better.
    [​IMG]
  2. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    A couple more: (my truck is dark blue. really.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again, a photo from my trip
    [​IMG]

When I saw this on my larger computer screen I noticed what looks to me like a penny or some coin in the photo of the culvert. Look where the leaf is pointing to the right. I'll have to check that out next week.....
    [​IMG]
  3. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Cool pic...LOL ...And good eye....some where I have a pic of a log cabin with an old large satellite dish....
  4. Hunt/Fish

Hunt/Fish Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great pictures! I'm not sure what the drainage area is to your culvert but you might want to put a big flat rock under the down slope side to prevent future erosion. Around here culverts have to be depressed into the ground to be installed correctly.
  5. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! Just to clear that up - the culvert will be set into the ground, or rather, the far bank will be cut down some and the earth will be placed over the culvert and on to the near side to make a gradual incline along the lane. The culvert rests at the bottom of the gully on a prepared base and empties onto a pile of large rocks. There is some soil and sand and smaller pebbles on top of those rocks right now, but they will wash away in time. Hope that makes sense.
  6. jorg0370

jorg0370 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I imagine some fun times turning wrenches on those trucks, then flipping them. Great trip report, thanks!
  7. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    A buddy and I went out today to hang out and get some work done. We added some rigid foam insulation to the ceiling but got to a point wher the heat trapped up at the peak was just wiping us out, so we put that on hold and moved to some chores outside, mainly mowing and trimming. I also took the time to cut out and break up and dig out some stumps in the clearing. Dulled up a chainsaw chain pretty quick but it was worth it.

Best news, though, was the sound of the dozer pushing out the new lane. He got the lane cleard of stumps and trees enough that we were able to drive out that way one the way home. Made a ten minute crawl inon. The old path into a two minute easy drive out down the new lane. He has more work to do in leveling out the part over the culvert and cutting the ditch but I'm quite pleased thus far.

I will post a couple photos later and take more tomorrow. It was a pretty good day.
  8. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  9. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    That was the only time I've ever seen one, and I was pretty lucky to catch in in bloom, apparently. I'm glad you enjoyed the thread.
  10. Kacie

Kacie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing all the new updates and photos!
  11. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Went back out this morning with my bud and had a good time getting some more stuff done. We finished installing the rest of the beams for the small loft, including rehanging one where I made a measuring mistake earlier. We've been hammered with rain lately and it was HUMID so starting early was important. I'm having some trouble with my generator (it won't keep running, we think I may need to clean the carb), so power was limited to what I could run from an invertor clipped to my truck's battery. That method won't meet the starting amp needs of my circular saw, so I broke out the Bahco Laplander and we just got it done. Later we used the reciprocating saw, which will run from the invertor, but it's a blunt instrument, at least for me.

The structure for the loft. I just stained the ends of the beams for now.
    [​IMG]

My buddy Marty, sweating up a storm.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some photos of the progress on the lane. It was super sloppy coming out of it this afternoon, but we made it. If the weather cooperates a bit he will wrap it up with another day. Sure wish I could afford the gravel, but it will have to wait a few months. I'll probably "spot gravel" the worst parts over the summer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Your basic photos of random stuff I've found while wandering in the woods. I tend to stick them on trees for some reason. And then yet another flower pic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Forgot about taking the photo of this dude. Turtle dodging in your car becomes Missouri's state sport each spring.
    [​IMG]
  13. Aurelius

Aurelius Scout

Blog Posts:
    Don't know how I missed this thread for so long. Read the whole thing over the course of the morning. My wife's grandmother passed away at 96 on December 31. Not too long before your grandmother did. Such great memories, and she sounds like she was quite a woman.

Loving the cabin, and the garden. Maybe you posted it at the beginning, but how big is the cabin?

Thanks!
  14. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    It is 14X24. I don't know for sure how old it is but I ran across a couple of guys whose grandfather had built it, and they were at least in their 70's. It had been divided into two rooms at one point, and had three entry doors.
  15. LukeDeBee

LukeDeBee Scout

Blog Posts:
    So happy to see the turtle. As a boy there were plenty of turtles on the back roads of Pennsylvania. I have not seen a box turtle in years. It makes me sad....
  16. Kacie

Kacie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looking back through the thread, it's amazing to see just how much The Place has transformed, with all the work you've done! Outstanding :dblthumb:
    We have lots of turtles, too. I always count them, on my way over to L.R. and then the Grandboys try to guess how many I spotted. We're in the path, for more rain this afternoon... been a soggy year!!
  17. Schrader78

Schrader78 Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Saw a box turtle off of RT15 north of Harrisburg at my son's Daycare the other morning. We stood there and checked it out for a while before it got tired of us and left.
  18. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    This piece of land has the most lizards, snakes and turtles of anyplace I've ever been. We see snakes especially nearly every time we go out there when it isn't winter. Lots and lots of ring neck snakes, black and garter snakes. A neighbor tells me there are tons of copperheads out there, and while I haven't seen one I have no doubt they are there. I'm careful where I step and keep an eye out.
  19. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looking good brudda. What color stain did you use for this?

[​IMG]
  20. Dadio

Blog Posts:
  21. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a few boards to stain inside the cabin, and that looks pretty close to what I need.
  22. RickS

RickS Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was fun checking out you posts, Ive built a cabin here in SW Missouri too. Been having a great time. Congratulations
  23. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    It started as a pretty low key day, just getting some interior work done. Beautiful day for late June. We pulled some weeds in the garden. Sanded some joint compound and prepped the beams, then stained the wood until we ran out of stain. Packed up and headed out on the new lane, fairly muddy from all the recent rain, but we made good progress.

Until I dropped the right front into a hole. Looks like the dozer pushed out a stump and the water/mud slurry was indistinguishable from the other mud, but has significantly less ability to hold up a quarter of a 2012 Tundra. Tried all the tricks I knew, digging, throwing stuff under the wheel etc but when your bumper is in the mud sometimes you just grab the phone. So, a couple hours later we were on our way again. Pro-tip: keep cash on hand. It comes in handy.

The best part was visiting with the neighbors while waiting for the tow. One had been born in my cabin 61 years ago that day. They told me some more history of the place - their grandfather built it in '52 and two of the siblings were born in that building. Good, uncomplicated guys living an uncomplicated life. They won't go take a look at the cabin unless we are present, but we said we will bring them in and show them around next time we come down. That's not going to be until it dries out a bit, though.

And it it was a two bald eagle day. So, a tiny bit of progress, a good visit with neighbors, and some more experience with the perils of water and dirt.

The only pic I took was of a seriously muddy pickup, and I didn't think that would hold much interest for you. Thanks for reading!
  24. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Update: It took $7.50 to get the mud out of the wheel wells and suspension etc.

And we we came home to this:
    [​IMG]

Apparently the the local squirrels have a taste for green tomatoes.

At at least the plumbs look great:
    [​IMG]
  25. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    It's been a few weeks since we've made it out, but we finally had a break in the rain and Rusty (the bulldozer guy) was able to finish up the dirt work for the lane. It took about two months to complete a three day project. I'm pretty pleased - the trip in now takes only about three minutes rather than the ten or so it took to crawl through the woods before, and more importantly, it isn't beating up my truck. And I know that, if I ever decided to sell, it would at least expand the population of those who would consider the purchase, where as the old way would certainly limit those who would be interested. Dirt work isn't cheap, but it can make a big difference.

We got in early to beat the worst of the heat and humidity. Mowed around the cabin and little garden spot as well as around the berry bushes. I had missed two weeks due to weather and travelling, and the grass and weeds needed cut badly. Momio worked some more on the staining but was hampered a bit by a bum ankle. She sprained it a couple weeks ago while visiting friends in Kentucky and it is still swollen. She is a trooper, though! Keeping everything trimmed up really has cut back on the ticks compared to last year (although I think last year was a particularly bad year for ticks, so maybe this isn't an apples to apples comparison).

Not much to take photos of this week, but I did snap a pic of the willow shoots we planted in the Spring at a wet spot on the property. I think they will do fine, and I'm looking forward to having some willow to make things out of in the future.

[​IMG]

Well, that's about it this week. We came back to a horse and a buggy in our yard, which was a bit of a surprise. Seems an Amish fellow decided to invite himself on our lawn while attending an auction next door. I guess his religion only goes so far toward common courtesy. We let it go, as we knew the neighbors were going through enough just selling off their mother's goods without us making some scene, and it really didn't hurt anything.

Anyway, thanks as always for reading!
  26. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Spuds and onions

My son and new daughter in law headed out with me this morning. We ran by and picked up some paintbrushes and grub and headed south. The new lane simplifies and quickens the approach to the cabin significantly, and the two young'uns were impressed! I set them to work finishing up the staining of the beams and split my time doing some trimming outside and helping out a bit inside. Nice, stress free and productive day.

The garden is about done. I knew from the beginning that it was going to be severely neglected, and it was, but it was still productive. The potato vines had all died back and so we pent a few fun minutes digging up the spuds. It's kind of like panning for gold or something, running your fingers through the loose earth trying to find all the tiny, hidden tubers. I planted a combination of Yukon Gold and russet potatoes, and the Yukons did better. Again, they had nearly no attention since planting, no watering and very little mulching even, and I'm pleased with the meager results. The onions had looked to be doing well initially, but they didn't really produce much in the way of bulbs. Even so, we pulled them up and added them to the harvest.

ETA: just looked at previous posts and saw we put the potatoes in on 4/25/15. So plant to harvest in about 110 days give or take. That's in the ballpark of what they predict.

Something ate my sole bunch of grapes, which isn't that surprising. The vines themselves seem to be fine with no pest or fungus damage. They could probably use a sunnier spot which I might accomplish with some chainsaw surgery to a tree or two. Also, something, I assume deer, has topped all the sunchokes but I bet I end up with some anyway.

This fall I will define a garden spot with some logs and start throwing organic matter in there. The ground itself is heavy clay so lots of amendments are called for.

So, we improved The Place a bit, harvested some fruits of the earth, and spent some time together. That's pretty much the point of the whole thing, isn't it? Tonight or tomorrow we'll fry up some new potatoes, onions and peppers and just enjoy a bit. Thanks for reading, as always!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moby Spud
    [​IMG]
  27. foxfire

foxfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They would go good in a roasting pan with a roast also
  28. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Yes, yes they would!
  29. HoosierArcher

HoosierArcher Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I read this whole thread in one sitting today. You should be proud of yourself and your friends and family you have accomplished a great deal in a year. It's my dream as well to have pretty much exactly what you have now. Great narrative of a remodel with some very nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.
  30. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    Your Amish neighbor was probably just stopping by to greet you or was needing a spot to shade his horse and maybe borrow some grass. They aren't likely to just take right off if no one is home if they think you haven't gone far. Their pace is more deliberate so unless he was poking around very far from the horse and cart he was probably waiting to meet you. If you have good neighbors you should return the drop in visit some afternoon.
  31. Forestman

Forestman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Heart of Europe at this time (although in my heart
    Awesome reports, thanks for taking the time to take us along. And good job on the remodel.
  32. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Yeah.....no. He wasn't dropping by, he was attending the auction. Not a big deal but he made no attempt to ask permission. There are lots of Amish/Mennonite "Dutch" in the area, and their character varies as with us English. Again, surprising, but no real harm.
  33. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Another early morning out at The Place. Brought the lawn tractor and did some mowing and weedeating (never ending chores, but I like them). Lane has been rained on pretty heavy over the last month or so and is compacting well. The broken rock is a little more exposed with the loose soil running off, which actually makes for a nicer, less slippy road. It's very nice just to go through a couple gates and motor right on up to the cabin instead of crawling through the woods, easing by trees with inches to spare and over stumps and rocks.

I took window and door trim measurements and Momio measured for a cover for the folding bed (which is surprisingly comfortable, kind of like a thick hammock). She hadn't seen the beams all stained and she really liked them, which is great because it's really difficult to undo. I also inventoried my usable stock of stick and sheet goods in anticipation of finishing off the loft next weekend.

The plan is to for a buddy to help me with finishing off the insulation (after I finish cutting the stubs of the old rafters out) and installing the floor of the loft. If we have some time I think we will relocate a deer stand as well. But I'm always underestimating the time it takes to do tasks, so that might have to wait.

A few photos (including my first glimpse of a deer this year! - a young fawn, never did see the mama. Forgive the blurry photo, I didn't have time to switch from a macro lens.)
    [​IMG]

Fall is coming..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  34. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Forgot this one.
    [​IMG]
  35. Ga_Nemo

Ga_Nemo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have just started back around here. I did not read the entire thread but in case no one has told you, you bought a piece of heaven. Shove over and sell me half.

Nemo
  36. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    It appears that this piece of heaven requires a whole lot of repair......

not that it hasn't been a lot of fun and satisfaction.
  37. foxfire

Blog Posts:
    But it is coming full circle!!
  38. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    This was a productive week. I took advantage of some volunteer help this weekend to get some tasks done that would be difficult to accomplish alone. First order of business was to remove an overhanging limb that might cause some damage if it came down from high winds or an ice storm. In the absence of a rope we used a long extension cord to pull it to a safe location as it was being cut. Worked like a charm, but is a reminder that I need to get a good length of rope out there. We trimmed up several more dead or dying branches out of nearby trees as well. There is a nice Osage Orange (Hedge Apple) tree just to the southwest of the cabin that I really like and we took out a couple branches that might have fallen on that as well. We also took out a fairly small walnut that was competing for sky with larger trees and destined to fail. I have a plan for that log..... I've good some good, dry wood for a campfire or twenty this fall and winter.

The big task for the day was to finish off the loft. I have to say that it turned out as well as I could hope. I have a long commute to and from work and I use that time to problem solve, and one of the problems I had chewed over was how the floor of the loft would appear from below, where it formed the ceiling of the kitchen and storage/bathroom area. What I thought would work was to first place some prepainted bead board over the beams, and then add a layer of OSB above to act as the actual floor of the loft area. Because nothing in that cabin is totally square, we placed each sheet of bead board in place, marked where the cuts should be and then took the sheets down, cut them, transferred the pattern to the OSB, then installed each piece. I think it turned out great, what do you think?

[​IMG]

We also took advantage of the day to finish up the insulation on the ceiling of the loft area (the "cathedral" ceiling of the cabin itself) again using sheets of rigid insulation and taping the seams and screw holes. Looks pretty good and, more importantly, makes the place easier to heat and cool, meaning a greater chance that we will use it.

Speaking of cool, it was seriously hot this weekend. I think our ability to work in the loft area would have been nearly impossible if my mother had not lent me a small window unit air conditioner. I stuck it in a window, ran it off the generator (which worked great after giving me some trouble earlier), and that really saved the day. We were in and out of the door bringing materials in and out too much for the cabin to get really cool, but the AC plus a fan blowing air up into the loft made it tolerable. Still had to remember to take a few breaks and hydrate (I drank a gallon of water and a quart of Gatorade), but it day that would have ended about noon into a day that we could work until that day's projects were finished.

Just an aside about the generator - it is an inexpensive Champion brand 3500 watt generator we picked up at Sam's several years ago for emergencies. I would dearly love a Honda unit, but I really can't complain about the service I have had from this one particularly at about one fourth the price. The only trouble I've ever really had with it was recently when I ran it out of gas and then it didn't want to start again. I brought it home, took off the bowl under the carb, hit the carb and pickup with carb cleaner, put it back together and it starts up with one pull. It's quiet as well - with only the noise of the AC on, you can't hear that it's running outside. I do keep a carbon monoxide detector in the cabin for peace of mind but we place the genny away from open windows and have the exhaust pointed away from the cabin. It's nice to have equipment that exceeds your expectation.

Now for that walnut log - we cut it down with the chainsaw but limbed it with my Wetterlings 20' axe. That thing ran through the limbs like butter - cutting deep and clean. I also used the little axe to cut the log into two ten foot sections and my plan is to use those sections to make the ladder for the loft. Stay tuned for that little project - I think it should turn out pretty nice.

Saw another deer on the place, and a turtle right next to the front door, and was victorious in battle with a nest of paper wasps (I don't know how I managed not to get stung - they were in the window frame of the window I used for the AC and didn't see them till I took it out at the end of the day). Need to bring out some wasp spray to avoid going after them with a short piece of 2X6!

That's about it - a good day of work. Once again, thanks for reading.
  39. fotomaker57

fotomaker57 Guide

Blog Posts:
    The bead board was a great idea. I'm really enjoying following this project of yours. Keep the updates coming.
  40. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! It is responses like this that keeps me posting. Glad you are getting some enjoyment from it.
  41. OL' OutLaw

OL' OutLaw Guide

Blog Posts:
    loft came out looking great man.....

thanks for the update !
  42. Kurt992

Kurt992 Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    The loft looks great. The white bead board looks nice and clean and will brighten up the area underneath. I like all wood interiors, but sometimes they can be a little dark.
  43. The Warrior

The Warrior Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looking good brudda. Going to mine hopefully this weekend. Supposed to be in the mid 70's. Taking the father in law for the first time.
  44. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Bought some wasp spray, 100' of 3/4 inch, 376 lb rated rope, and a clamp light today.....

Live and learn!
  45. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Momio went with me this week. She was very impressed with the loft and kitchen area, which was good as it would be hard to do over. The lane looks pretty good. We're trying to avoid driving in the same exact path each time we come in so we don't end up with a rut. This was actually the first time she drove the lane herself and seemed pretty pleased!

Most of the morning was spent extending the insulation across the non-lofted part of the cabin. This took more measuring, remeasuring, cutting and re-cutting than I would have liked, and we only got one half done instead of the whole thing, but again, there's no time limit than what we impose on ourselves and, when it becomes too aggravating, we know it's time to call a break.

While Momio swept and packed up for the drive back I fired up the trimmer and cut a path toward where I'm going to put up a leaning stand this year. Lots of small brush and more goldenrod than is good for my allergies. I do like the look of the place when there are a few paths cut here and there. To me, a path in the woods is an invitation to another life.

Last week when my buddy was helping me we went and scouted for a new stand location. I really like what we ended up with - a large white oak on kind of a point where you can monitor the main deer trail and the creek bottom. We also talked about putting in a small feed plot near the cabin, or even just mowing or trimming around some oaks to make the acorns more visible. In any case, just scouting and planning is fun to me, as well as the hunting itself.

Lastly, I grabbed some limbs from the small walnut I cut last week for a project I have in mind. I'll mess around a bit with it and, if it looks like it would work, I'll post some pics and a description here later. Man, I love that Wetterlings. The 20" handle is a great size and they get so sharp and cut so well. If it broke tomorrow I'd get another just like it.
    [​IMG]

A few more found treasures:
    [​IMG]
  46. foxfire

Blog Posts:
    Those are a great find!!
  47. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    Here is the little project I worked on. Those branches from the black walnut, with some trimming and a little drill press time, make what I think are some cool looking curtain rod holders. I'll cut some straight branches to use as the curtain rods themselves.

[​IMG]

So, no big deal, but it is nice to get to where we can work on some details.
  48. Black Chrome

Black Chrome Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great thread, it took me 2 days to get caught up but thats because I read every post from the beginning again! Keep up the good work!
  49. Kacie

Kacie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Bead board & beams turned out great! When I was a kid, bead board is
    what my bedroom ceiling was, so, I've always loved the way it looks!
    And, the curtain rod holders are just a fantastic way to go... "authentic rustic" :dblthumb:
    Wonderful progress, that y'all are making. The special touches make all
    the difference. Nice job!
  50. Dadio

Blog Posts:
    No real update this weekend, but I thought I'd write a bit about the plans. It's likely that this sort of out-loud problem solving isn't of general interest, so you might want to skip it. If you've ever thought about rehabbing an old structure, though, it might be useful.

We've still got a 16X4 section of the ceiling to insulate. Last time I tried to measure and cut around the beams and just got frustrated with trying to match up straight and square insulation panels with roof structure that is anything but. To avoid that frustration next time, I'm bringing some 2x4's to sister to rafters and to bridge between rafters so that the insulation panels can naturally fall where there is structure behind them, and then fit smaller pieces around the nooks and crannies. I'm doing this not just for the insulation install but also to make it easier to install the final, finish layer. I've not decided whether to use more bead board for the ceiling or drywall it.

Ideally, the bead board is preferable because it is already finished, matches the new ceiling in the kitchen area, and once it's up, you are done. The problem is the not-straight, not-square nature of this old building. Particularly when you have lots of straight lines, the places where the lines should be parallel, but aren't, will really bug me.

Drywall - well, it's really not particularly "cabiny". And it is heavy, particularly when trying to install it over your head, and it requires taping and mudding and at the very minimum one sanding session, then priming and painting. And there will be dust everywhere, particularly in your eyes and lungs. But the final results would probably look best and small imperfections are less noticeable. I might just leave the exposed Styrofoam panels for the time being. It reflects a lot of light and with taped seams, it doesn't look too bad.

Ever since I got the place I wanted to put in a nice "old man" deer blind in on the hill overlooking the creek bottom. I have this thing in my back called AS, which is a type of arthritis, and my long term ability to climb leaning stands or even tower stands isn't real good. But I don't think I have the energy to do what I want to for that project this year - I want a nice little house, maybe 8X8 or so, with a steep roof, maybe an ammo box woodstove, swivel chairs, real windows that allow for nearly a 360 degree view, etc. Something that would surprise you when you walk down the path and it comes into sight, where you could take the grandkids and watch birds or even camp out. Anyway, I don't see that in the cards this year. I think I will pick up another two man leaning stand and put it in place for this year. I can always move it to another part of the property later.

I've got a buddy coming up in November and with some luck we will be able to spend some extended time out there. Momio and I will spend a weekend out there, probably within the next month or so, assuming some other duties don't take priority. If they do, that's fine - we'll get out there. I'm excited about finally being able to be out there comfortably without having major things I really need to do.

Couple other things on the list for this year - I need to add the walls to the little closet/bathroom, make a door for that room, install the countertop and the shelves underneath, finish painting, and then install the window trim. That's about it! Really getting close. I'll probably install the flooring next spring and then the cabin itself is pretty much done. I'll likely add a deck, maybe with a porch roof, next spring or summer.

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings. This stuff helps me think things through. Glad you folks are enjoying this thread -I'm trying to put it together the way I'd like to read it. God willing, I'll get some more done next weekend. It's been a busy year and a quarter!