Thigh rig views

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Bruce_A, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Bruce_A

Bruce_A Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm thinking about buying a thigh rig to wear when I go backpacking to prevent it from interfering with the kidney pad and waist belt like it would with a hip holster and would like some input on thigh rigs, or would it be to mall ninjaish ?

2. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I used to drop leg sub-loads on both sides (back in the .mil day), if I didnt I felt lopsided. Sub-loads also need to have the thigh strap(s) done up pretty tight to prevent them from flopping around. They also add weight to your leg so depending on how far/fast you hike it may be an issue. The bunching under the thigh straps could also cause issues.
    The few times I had to walk long distances (training humps/ OP's in the desert) I moved my drop leg rigs to my daypack (or left them in the barracks if it was training). Did some long patrols with them on but those were pretty slow paced etc.
    It probably doesnt sound like it but I actually like drop holsters and the like. You just have to recognize like everything else they do have their drawbacks.

ETA: I had several rifle mags on my left leg and my knife/survival kit on my right. However either one was easily as heavy or heavier than most pistols if that makes a difference to you.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  3. 556mp

556mp Bushmaster Vendor Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I prefer to carry in the same place, all the time. I trained and continue to train with my weapon on my hip, I carry my weapon on my hip, and I hike with it there as well. If you learn muscle reflex to go for the hip, and its on your thigh... well... ;)

4. Yellow Lab

Yellow Lab Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  5. grifter_v2

grifter_v2 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have tried thigh rigs and such while backpacking and just found the whole thing a bit on the awkward side. I finally picked up some strap material and some fastex buckles and turned in one of my old molly holsters into a chect rig. it gets my weapon out of the brush and right infront where i can access it without worrying about my pack getting in the way, i can post pics if you like

6. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a really nice thigh rig but it just plain feels weird. If you don't want to wear it on your regular belt, strap on an ALICE belt.

7. Jon308

Jon308 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I use a thigh holster, it makes carrying a pack a lot easier, it also works well on 4 wheeler, I prefer hip carry but a pack is all most impossible to carry hip holster . After a day or so it becomes natural and you almost forget its there.

8. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Dirt Merchant Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I tried a thigh rig once, my right leg was much too short for it. (not even joking)

9. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Not to give disrespect to anyone here but unless you are a cop or uniformed military or civilian contractor deployed, to me, a thigh rig just looks too mall ninja, especially on a hiking trail.
    Again, and I emphasize, no disrespect meant. I prefer a chest rig if the firearm is to be open carried
    I suppose that some people think me a bit weird for carrying that way but I am not insulted if they do.
    I can see it being used with an ATV; especially if one is on trails in bear country.

There are a couple of gun stores near me where the younger employees wear black thigh rigs and double rigs. I find myself avoiding being waited on them because to me, in that environment, it destroys the credibility of anything they will say to me.

Regards,

ezra

10. medic68

medic68 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not My Cup Of Tea

I am seriously old school. Having carried daily my entire adult life and I have no use for a thigh rig. I'm sure if my training had been with them I would feel different about them but either a chest rig (as mentioned earlier) or a good OWB rig are the ones I am comfortable with in the field. :41:

11. injun51

injun51 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Its just a more natural transition from primary weapon to secondary.

I love my drop legs but like anything you have to balance it out.

I carry mags on the opposite leg to balance mine. Carry it when hunting too but since I'm not in a combat situation I carry my blowout kit on the other side instead.

Best thing is get one and see if it works for you.

If your like me you have a box full of holsters that looked like they would work great but when in real world use it didn't work so well. Exactly why they are in that box. Lol

12. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Josh, you are too funny... and an inspiration.

I have one of these, and it's perfect for me.

13. Chiral

Chiral Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I prefer chest rigs as well. Hill people gear makes a good one called the kit bag. Can't copy paste on my iPad ATM but google hillpeoplegear.com and check it out. Good luck!

14. 1773

1773 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have used thigh rigs a considerable amount and have the usual love/hate feelings about them that most have used them have. First off good ones are somewhat expensive, the 29.95 gunshow versions are junk and are going to be uncomfortable and generally don't secure your handgun very well so plan on spending about 100 dollars on a decent set up that is somewhat comfortable and provides good firearm retention. Next as pointed out, if I don't counterbalance it with a sub-load on the other side by the end of the day my hips are hurting. Another big drawback to them is if you are in motion, you are trying to grab a moving target and draw which is awkward at best and could result in a negligent discharge or lost handgun at worst. If you are stationary of course this is not an issue. I have also found that when moving through thick brush they tend to snag/tangle with the vegetation also your handgun is more exposed than with other carry types.

Now when I do like them is during rappel/long line operations and for use in helicopters obviously neither of these are applicable to your post.

The solution I have found that works best for me when wearing a recreatonal backpack is to attach the holster to the waist belt of the pack and carry a second holster to use when camp is set up and I am not using the backpack any longer. This avoids the issue of the belt interfering with the holster/firearm, keeps your firearm in a more secure/protected positon and retains the drawstroke you have spent the most time practicing. The other option of chest carry works as well, it is just that I have never bought a dedicated chest carry holster and a plate carrier/molle set up is a little over the top for a weekend get away.

15. nemoaz

nemoaz Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have several thigh rigs....

collecting dust.

They put your weapon in an odd spot. You can't do most of the weapons retention techniques. ATV agents at my old job used them but kept finding that brush would push the thumb release and your pistol ends up on the trail somewhere. (Hence the little hood that most have these days, further complicating the draw stroke.) The same thing can happen to anyone busting the brush if you don't have that little hood installed.

It's a PITA when you are getting in and out of vehicles, although you can draw it more easily than a waist holster while seated once you get in the vehicle.

However, it makes you look ninja-ish.... until all the wannabe ninjas realize that the real ninjas don't carry them there anymore. Most teams are carrying them on their vests these days (again).

I carry on my belt. Same place, all the time. When I have issues with my gear interfering (ie my raid vest) I wear the holster with an offset adapter. You could also modify your thigh rig by making it as short as possible (3 or 4 inches) and cutting off the rest.

16. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  17. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    can you fashion a way to use your pack waist belt with your standard holster? you might slide your belt rig to just behind your carry hip ...

18. Niflreika

Niflreika Guide

Blog Posts:
    I really like thigh rigs, but I don't wear them like the ninja-phobic imagine them.

I wear it such that it's like a dropped hip holster. In this way, the grip will ride just below the hip belt, and the thigh strap really goes in the crease between your thigh and your junk.

If you have trouble visualizing, stand up, lay your hand at your side, and the grip of the pistol right at the heel of your palm, rather than low like a mid-thigh carry would have it. The weapon is easy to grab in any position.

But, like others said, a good rig will cost you.

19. Kerri

Kerri úlfheðnar Hobbyist Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I despise thigh rigs, im talkin hate them with a passion. I much prefer to keep my secondary on my belt but with kit, packs etc... I know that a pistol riding high on your belt can get in the way. 90% of the time even when operational i wear my pistol on my belt but if im doing something DA specific i will wear this
    http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/Accessories/GCA30.html

Its close enough to where i normally keep my pistol on my belt that muscle memory is still there and still works but keeps it below my kit like a thigh rig and if the thigh rig is worn properly its gonna ride in a similar fashion without all the bulk and straps that will cause chaffing while moving snd best of all you can still use your pockets. The system i showed you can be mixed with multiple types of holsters i carried a serpa and a safariland holster on that platform. Most retailers that sell that should be able to tell you what hard ware youd need and how to install it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  20. woodsghost

woodsghost Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't know. A plate carrier might be just about right for a trip along the Rio Grande. :50:

Like Niflreika said, I like something that drops the holster down a bit. I have a leather holster for my wheel gun, and it just rides a bit low. The heel of the grip is just slightly higher than my belt. When I make myself a holster, I will drop it down just an inch more so the heel rides at about my belt level or just below.

21. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I use a thigh holster but only within my private fenced in area and for competition. For carrying on an ATV or in a vehicle I don't like them. I once dropped a mag as I sat in passenger seat of a RZR because the seat/frame bar wedged between my leg and the grip of my pistol depressing the mag release.

For carrying outdoors were I could encounter people I prefer to carry concealed. For this I like to carry sob with a glock sport holster. For carrying in vehicle or on an ATV I like a chest or shoulder holster. My favorite is to just carry a light weight gun in my coat pocket.

22. tree-ratsniper

tree-ratsniper Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't see much combat these days, most of my hunting rigs are single-actions so I use a traditional western style holster for woods loafing. For my c.c. guns I go IWB... Safariland for the SP, Blackhawk for the G26...

23. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but ditch the thigh rig. They were designed as a solution to the problem of carrying a sidearm when your armor would prevent a normal draw from your hip. Now that there are better solutions to the problem, you very rarely see people still using them, for all the reasons already stated in this thread so far.

I'm a big fan of the Hill People Gear Kit Bag for carry with a backpack. I've spent a ton of time hunting with it and really think it's the best way to carry if you have to carry a pack with a hip belt. The draw is very easy and is surprisingly fast with a little dry fire time. That it's a fantastic way of carrying the some essentials as well is a bonus.

I usually have a small first aid kit, couple spare magazines, fire starting material, compass, my PLB, Leatherman, a small folder (usually a Kershaw Skyline), signal mirror and emergency blanket. If I'm only going to be traveling in a small area I'll keep a cut down topo in it as well. Often it's more convenient that taking my full pack if I know I'm not going on a decent hike, and in that instance I'll put my gun and mags on my hip and have some more room for snivel snacks and the like.

I like it because it's convenient, can drop my pack and still have basics and some advanced stuff with me. I admit that it's not bushcrafty, but when I'm out hunting, especially in Southern Arizona, I'll trade some skill building practice for convenience and safety. Grab the kit bag and a hatchet and you can live like a king for very little weight penalty. It's also very comfortable. Just some thoughts for you to consider.