Thrift store, yard sale, great deal find thread

Discussion in 'Gear Deals' started by Skab, Sep 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    I go to the local thrift stores once a week, I find some pretty sweet deals and treasures now and then. I know lots of others on here do the same. Instead of having a hundred threads about our different finds, I will start one we can all share in.

Lets see them, you past and present "Finds"

Today I hit up good will, walked out with an XL, 100% wool coat(like new) for $4.25, Several small water proof containers, "Remingtion Sportsmen's Wild Game Cook Book" dated 1968 and "Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices" by George and Berthe Herter, gave a $1 a piece for the books!

[​IMG]

2. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I picked up a book recently called "The Road Kill Cookbook" for $0.25. It is hilarious.
    We also nabbed several corn shaped muffin pans for about $10. Got them for making ingots, but am using them for cornbread first.
    And I found about six really nice wool shirts - Pendletons and Woolriches - for about $7 total. Don't know what to do with them yet because they are sized mediums and I'm an XL kind of guy.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  3. goldman

goldman Scout

Blog Posts:
    what a great looking jacket. bet that went for around 100 bones somewhere at some point in time.

4. stone tool man

stone tool man Tracker

Blog Posts:
    sweet deal dude goodwill is the best

5. Sgt. Mac

Sgt. Mac Elder Staff Member Administrator Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Nice score

6. Marvellous9

Marvellous9 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My last REALLY good score was a few weeks ago--

I found three yards of 48"-wide heavy wool cloth in a deep rich crimson at the thrift store for $6. I am making a winterweight rendezvous dress out of it as it's exactly what stroud cloth is supposed to be like.

But I never buy canning jars new anymore, always at Goodwill, because $7.99 a dozen ON SALE is just awful when you can get perfectly good used ones for .10-.25 apiece. (Even the bigcity stores that ramp it up to .40 apiece are still underselling the new-in-box price.)

Bakdrft911 likes this.
  7. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Picked up a couple Coleman lanterns this past weekend for $.25 each. '84 and '76 models. Both work great. One needed a pump cup and both got new mantles. I'll post up some pics shortly.

8. upthecreek

upthecreek Guide

Blog Posts:
    these are dollar a piece yard sale finds

[​IMG]

9. LetsRock

LetsRock Scout

Blog Posts:
    Excellent find, skab0311!

Interesting you brought this up. I just happened to be at a thrift store today and picked up a pair of in-line skates for $0.99. I was thinking of your bow drill bearing-block concept when I bought 'em. They were originally $3.99, but I showed the lady the broken wheels and she almost wanted to give 'em to me (as she wondered why I wanted 'em). I coulda waited til tomorrow, they have 50% off Wednesday's, but I figured I could swing it for this low price, ha ha. Eight bearing blocks I can give away to others who wanna learn the bow drill method.

A couple pics. The 2nd pic I added a few spindles & bearing blocks I had laying around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Skab

Blog Posts:
    $1 a piece SRK's that's awesome!

Great score on the inlines!

11. georgel

georgel Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That's one thing I love about this place, people here love to scrounge, scavenge and re-purpose. We're the ultimate recyclers. Or maybe we just all cheap.:D

It seems half my life is finding uses for things other than it's original purpose.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  12. Sweeneyguy

Sweeneyguy Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    My best find was a brand new Skeeter Beater Pro hammock for 10 bucks.

I actually have to thank my wife, she talked the guy down from 20 since it didn't have any suspension lines. Didn't matter I make whoopie slings to put on them anyway.

13. madmax

madmax Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    6 bucks. Goodwill.

[​IMG]

14. JTD

JTD Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Man I can load this thread up! I'm always scoring great deals from the 2nd hand spots.

15. Grits

Grits Guide

Blog Posts:
    My better thrift-store/rummage sale/flea market finds:

Like new North Face 20 dF synthetic sleeping bag: $10.
    Patagonia Rain Jacket: $5.00
    Kelty Tioga external frame backpack: $5.00
    US Army WWII wool pants: $3.50
    Coleman dual-fuel single mantle lantern, like new: $9.00

Plus plenty of high-quality wool sweaters, shirts, pants and silk shirts (for summer)!

16. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Dirt Merchant Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
  17. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Score Skabo The Coat is a Big score !!! I check My local goodwill off and on I find great shirts there.

18. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    Past finds:
    Misc. camping gear
    Misc. knives, axes, tools including a boatload of vintage woodworking and blacksmithing handtools last year.
    Misc Mil-surplus packs, including some like new condition 1945 heavy canvas surplus packsacks, and a 1959-65 ALICE pack.
    Misc. Mil surp compass/mag pouches.
    An old, nearly-full can of Kmart brand "handwarmer fluid" (naptha), which I use in my lighters. Almost out now, but it lasted a couple of years. Still had the price sticker on it, LMAO. I wish things were still that cheap!

Most recent:
    FREE vintage 3 gallon (I think?) gascan without one lid/nozzle, I made a stopper for it, works a treat.
    5 gallon metal can of (fresh) kerosene
    A well-used vintage canvas GI dufflebag, that I turned into a hat and a tool pouch:)
    About a yard and a half of heavy brown cotton duck that I turned into another hat.
    A like-new heavy duty weight lifting belt that I turned into a sheath for my Jayne Cobb Bowie MkII.

Two more vintage cast iron skillets, without lids, from a yard sale on the way to my friend's house. I picked over the pile of pots and pans, tossed aside a bunch of Taiwanese cast iron as I don't want lead poisoning or anything. When I found the dirtyest, grossest, ugliest ones of the bunch, I bought em for 3 bones.

They were so dirty and burnt-on when I got them that I had to soak them in a double-bagged solution of a half a bottle of ammonia for at least two weeks. Then I took them outside and sprayed em off with a hose. That still didn't take it all off:( So I ended up using soapy water anyway, even though it's my personal creed NOT to use soap on cast iron:(

They seasoned up nicely with some canola spray in the oven, and get this--a size marking is now visible on both pans:) 5 1/2 and 8 1/2 or so I think.

Awesome!:)
    PMZ

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2010
  19. CactusBob

CactusBob Scout

Blog Posts:
    Last weekend went to an estate sale and swap meet and found these

an old USMC pack for $4
    a Golfer model SAK for $2
    a Tasco pocket telescope 25 X 30 mm for $8
    a fishing float tube for $15
    a cast tomahawk for $10
    a Japanese wood working knife for $2
    and
    a Granfors Bruks American Felling axe

Bob

20. Boreal Boy

Boreal Boy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    $7 for this Bolo hand forged machete, made in Japan. I will clean it up and put a new handle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Skab

Blog Posts:
    Yard sale score. Several yards of camo burlap and camo bugnet type material. And the sweet little lamp to! Works well. All for $2.

[​IMG]

22. Skab

Blog Posts:
    Scored these 100% wool pants today at Goodwill. Tag says Eaglehawk Clothing, Victoria 1952.

Only has one cargo pocket on the left leg. And buttons for suspenders.

Gave $4.25!

[​IMG]

23. *lilsmoke*

*lilsmoke* Scout

Blog Posts:
    Went to the secondhand store a few days ago and picked up a usmc heavy winter water proof coat for 2.50 old style camo and also a wood working tool for 2.00 with inter changeable blades works ok and also a few camo military long sleeve duty camo shirts for 1$ apiece I guess its good to live by a military base pretty good pick ups .

24. Swissarmy

Swissarmy Scout

Blog Posts:
    OOOH!
    Friday night I scored a "Quad sheepskin rug". Four THICK Australian hides sewn together to create a 4'x6' sleeping pad. (for $30)
    Yeah, it's bulky, but way warmer and more comfortable than a Termarest or foam pad.
    I may give a try in my hammock next weekend.

25. Skab

Blog Posts:
    What a score today! this sweet coleman stove, that looks like it ahs seen very little use and it works great! i cooked super on it this evening, just to try it out.

And the price was even better.........................FREE! The neighbor asked if I had a use for it or he was going to throw it way! So of course I had to take it.

[​IMG]

26. the lone gunman

the lone gunman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Walked in the Thrift store yesterday and this jumped out at me. Perfect ! $4.99
    [​IMG]

27. Raydarkhorse

Raydarkhorse Tracker

Blog Posts:
    in the last 6 months I have bought
    a merino wool sweater - 2.99
    a Cabelas zip up wool sweatshirt - 1.00
    2 wool army blankets that were sewn together - 2.99
    2 wool pants (from a Eroupean army) - 1.00 each
    2 100' 3/8" nylon ropes -1.00 each

28. Skab

Blog Posts:
    Picked up a sweet trout net for $1 and a copy of Indian Crafts and Lore by W.Ben Hunt for $.50! And also a sweet pari of OD green ripstop trousers, in my size even for $4. (They would be in the picture to, but I'm wearing them!)

[​IMG]

I'm sure this net is worth way more then the $1 I paid for it, looks to be a Cabelas brand one that goes for $50! And if anything I'll use the wood handle for knife scales if I decide not to use it as a net!

Man I love the thrift store! I glad I don't live in a bigger city that has multiple thrift stores I would be broke.

29. dport

dport Tracker

Blog Posts:
    New guy, 1st post.
    in the past year, a North Face "cat's meow' sleeping bag for $3.00, Misc clothing for under $5 a piece, an 8 man tent for $20 that was used once and ditched due to a faulty stitch at the pole hub "re-sewn in 5 mins", coleman stove for $5. Have picked up misc heavy duty bags for carrying gear in, for less than $5 a pop. My best pick so far was at a yard sale, a large kelty multi day pack, with a coleman PeakOne stove inside all for $10!!!! Most of my everyday clothing and 99% of my 1yo son's clothes come from the local T.S.

30. Iboschi

Iboschi Scout

Blog Posts:
    Welcome and congrats on your first post! Sit back relax and get your learn on!

31. dport

dport Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Picked up a never used coleman Dual Fuel 2 burner today for $22.

32. Thehighwayman

Thehighwayman Scout

Blog Posts:
    While I was at work today, I got 2 white canvas bank bags that were used to transport unrolled coins for free. Some one found them covered in dust on a shelf and intercepted on the way to the trash barrel :D :D :D

One will be used to hold my mess kit to keep my pack clean. I'm thinking on cutting the other into 2-3 smaller bags.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  33. tennecedar

tennecedar Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Goodwill score today. JCPenney's wool blanket from sometime around 1930's-40's. Hudson Bay copy. Full size with 0% damage. Check the price tag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

34. Skab

Blog Posts:
    I'm jealous! That's right at the top of my shopping list for the thift store.

35. Mtnfolk Mike

Mtnfolk Mike Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    i scored a nearly new Woolrich wool plaid LS today at my favorite thrift store, in Santa Cruz... it is really nice.. just my style too, all earth tones, browns and greens... i'll try and get some pics up soon... i have score so many times at this same spot...:9:

36. Skab

Blog Posts:
    What a score today, a whole box of old files and a draw knife! All for a $1!

[​IMG]

37. JEB

JEB Scout

Blog Posts:
    Stopped at a yard sale last friday which listed lots of rocks. I was looknig for some flint or chert. I didn't see anything I wanted so I asked if he had any archery equipment. He said that he had a long bow, arrows and a quiver in the house. The short of it is I paid $13.00 for everything which was his asking price.

The bow is an unkown make longbow. The arrows are cedar with field tips and 3 differant types of metal blunts. Three of the arrows had broadheads and each arrow had a metal kill tag attached. 1948, 1949 and 1950. The quiver is a back quiver with Michigan Bowhunter buttons attached starting at 1948 to 1957.

The broadheads are still razor sharp. I look at this stuff and wonder the history behind the hunts.

38. Thehighwayman

Thehighwayman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'd love to see the pictures if you have the time.

39. rickh

rickh Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am on Goodwills Christmas card list!!!! Well if they had one I would be.
    Last week I scored a pair of Danner 10" Fort Bliss boots for 8.99 in my size!
    They are like new, could not see any wear at all. They are over 300 bucks new!
    Rick H...

40. Skab

Blog Posts:
    You and me both Rick! It's really bad when I walk in and the cashier asks where my kids are today,since I was alone!

41. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Damn!! :28::28:i payed 15$ for mine last year:9: like new with the dogtag in the laces..i have the dogtag

42. reddz

reddz Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Heads up

I got excited about the finds in this thread so I went looking myself. In the past 2 weeks while shopping at local thrift stores I found BDU pants made in CHINA. Some had snaps and zippers instead of buttons. They all had single line seams. And very small front and back pockets. I even found a jacket the same way. Now I'm making sure the tag says made in the USA.

43. BushTramp

BushTramp Team Canada Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    good one today for me-local thrift shop had a Brigham 2 dot pipe in their display marked $2.99.a little oxidation on stem (easy clean) but mint bowl and no bitemarks.i casually paid up and took off feeling like i robbed the place-made my day

44. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately, I am in an area where all of the thrift stores are located in or near the cities, they cater to the city folk and homeless, which is cool, but it requires me to drive downtown on my day off which I prefer not to do unless I have a BIG or IMPORTANT shopping list:p

Rest assured, next time I head to Walmart or some such I will be making my rounds of the SalVal down the street:p
    PMZ

45. Skab

Blog Posts:
    I'm super excited about this find, a real deal WW II Marine Corps Pacific camo uniform top, these are the ones that are green/jungle camo one side and brown/desert camo on the other. In great shape, all the buttons say US Marine Corps on them. Only part that sucks its way too small for me. But I am going to hang it with other old uniforms I have as a display.

[​IMG]

46. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    Well I haven't been to the thrift stores or yard sales for awhile now, but here are some of my favorite clothing scores from the past (now slightly faded from wearing them out:p):

Washable wooly shirt:
    p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; } [​IMG]

Soft cotton blend blendy shirt:

[​IMG]

Like new Bob Allen brand Federal Ammo Co. promo shirt (probably donated by one of the area's FFL dealers or rangemasters or some such:p:
    [​IMG]

Green and Brownish/Goldish striped rugby shirt (one of my favorite shirt designs, and some of my favorite colors, and it's at least 40% polyester...score!

[​IMG]

Solid brown polo shirt. It was nice and dark when I got it, whoops! Musta worn it too much:eek:

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    PMZ

47. Thehighwayman

Thehighwayman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I found a light grey/green Swiss wool overcoat at the thrift store $15. I passed it up thinking "when/where I wear it?"

Do you guys think its a deal? Look awkward in public? It was comfortable and fit me like it was tailored.

48. Trekon86

Trekon86 Guest

Blog Posts:
    If it fits you properly I'd go back and pick it up.
    I'll betcha it cost the Swiss a hell of a lot more than 15 bones to make one of those coats.
    PMZ

49. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Today's finds!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CVA 50 cal Blazer $40
    Leather Possibles bag $5
    Hand carved wood bowl $5
    German carving knife $5

It was a great day!

50. Skab

Blog Posts:
    Awesome scores Panzer!