Throw Up Fest and Boiling Water

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Romans6, Jan 11, 2017.

?

Do you drink water from ponds and stagnate water sources if it is boiled?

Poll closed Jan 21, 2017.
  1. No way!

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. Yes, I have no problem doing this.

20 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. Yes, but only if I absolutely have too.

42 vote(s)
    60.9%
  1. Romans6

Romans6 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Alright, so a few months back I planned a three day solo camping trip and was camping out on the edge of a lake. I knew the water wasn't amazing but had planned on using my Mini Sawyer Water Filter for the first time if I had to. Before I knew it, it was down pouring consistently so I had no way to boil water. I got some much needed water from the lake and used my filter for the first time. Let me be clear, I read all the reviews, watched the tutorials, and tested it. Within 1-2 hours from drinking about 20 ounces of water through the filter I was throwing up. I don't know if I caught something from the water, was already sick before, or what not; however, when I got home I threw it away and plan on just boiling water from now on because the experience sucked really bad. I stayed up sick all night in humid weather with pouring rain and like to think I learned a lesson.

So here is my question: I plan on going back to the same area soon and want to boil the water to drink it. This got me wondering, is it still safe to drink from stagnate water sources like ponds or puddles if you boil the water? I completely understand that boiling doesn't remove chemicals or any types of heavy metals and that the safest way is to probably distill it, but that wont really be an option. Do you all think I should be ok if it is boiled this time?

Thanks!

2jka, gwynn1975, bacpacjac and 2 others like this.
  2. Terasec

Terasec Scout

Blog Posts:
    used properly rare to get sick from using such a filter,
    .1 micron filter should have been fine
    wonder if it was used properly, backflushed before use, tubes on correct ends in/out, did you use it as a straw, gravity bag or other method?
    i use a +10 yr old katadyn hiker pro on nasty swamp water and never had a problem
    i would also do a search online for that area and body of water see if any environmental issues come up

2jka, bacpacjac, MrFixIt and 3 others like this.
  3. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I will be watching this thread closely. My experience has been that filtering my water has always worked. I've never been sick from filtered water. I have an MSR mini works filter and I've also use a Katadyn Basecamp filter. But I've only used water from mountain streams, not ponds and lakes.
    Did you just have that one episode with the puking or were you sick for days or weeks afterwards? I would think that if you got sick from something in the water it wouldn't have just come and gone quickly. If it was a living thing like a bacteria or protozoa (giardia) it would have been with you for a while. If it was a chemical then who knows, maybe pukiing it all up got rid of it right away. Or maybe it was that cheeseburger you ate on the way to the camping trip?

Cheapeats, 2jka, gwynn1975 and 5 others like this.
  4. sonofadoublegun

sonofadoublegun Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was once burned by a water filter as well... Honestly though, I think it was my fault, and that I let either the "clean end" of the filter, or the mouth of my canteen get contaminated somehow. I yacked something fierce! LOL!

Now, I am a pre-filter then filter then boil kind of guy. :dblthumb: After the water exits the filter, it goes into a kettle and gets set in the fire until I get a nice rolling boil for a minute or so. I would much rather drink warm water that I waited for than risk getting sick.

Interesting post - thanks.

Best,
    Jamie

tennecedar, Huey, 2jka and 7 others like this.
  5. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Scout

Blog Posts:
    Lakes can be iffy on drinking the water. Are there homes around the lake? Is it a highly populated area? Is it a lake choked with weeds and algae? If it's a remote lake that doesn't see much human use I would drink it (boiled first) without thinking twice. I've drank out of mud puddles before that were just rainwater/snowmelt pooled on the ground, never gotten sick from it.

2jka, gwynn1975, Jasonacraft and 3 others like this.
  6. Morty

Morty Tracker

Blog Posts:
    x39, gwynn1975, Broke and 7 others like this.
  7. sonofadoublegun

sonofadoublegun Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is a good point... I live in NW Indiana, and there are a couple bodies of water that I wouldn't drink out of no matter how much they were filtered/boiled.

Hey OP - this pond isn't next to Fukashima, is it? :18::34::46:

Best,
    Jamie

2jka, gwynn1975, Jasonacraft and 2 others like this.
  8. MAD777

MAD777 Hiker

Blog Posts:
    I filter all the time from literally Swamp water in Florida with no problems. Most sicknesses, when filtering, don't come from water, but from unsanitary hands.

One other item of note is that filters are ruined if frozen. Was you filter ever frozen before? Any such filter must me tossed out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. Backyard

Backyard Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    From my recollection I have only boiled water gathered from moving water. I am surprised that a large lake would have contaminants that a filter wouldn't remove.

Sorry to hear about this incident.

10. Romans6

Romans6 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am completely open to it being user error, my wife could tell you I am usually the one who is in error, haha. I do want to really clarify though that I was pretty specific and aware of how I was using it and had thoroughly researched how it was to be used in advance. I did backflush it and test it with clean water and was careful to not get things contaminated before. I screwed the unit directly to the water bottle as shown on their website. I didn't eat any cheesburgers before hiking, even though I love them, haha. To answer more specifically I threw up about 3 times and just felt like crap throughout the night. I was fine the next day after getting some rest.

As said before I am open to the fact that it was not the equipment failure and maybe me just getting sick. Not sure if I want to run the risk again though. I had originally got one for my wife and one for myself, so I do still have another in the packaging that I might test again. Maybe I will filter and then boil as suggested. Thanks for all the great responses!

bacpacjac and MrFixIt like this.
  11. Smokey Radley

Smokey Radley Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'll second Terasec on the alt environmental issues ie, pesticides, fertilizers, chemicals, etc. For instance I'd totally avoid a pond next to a road due to gunk from the cars and the road itself vs a pond in an un-populated area. I've filtered from many a weird source, done the bleach thing on others, and in the far north drank it straight (from the middle of the lake lol), and never had a problem.

12. lodge camper

lodge camper Scout

Blog Posts:
    i would if i had to but rather not. i'm kind of a snob when it comes to water so i must pack in my R.O. ordistilled water. if i run out, adventure stops...until i get more.

bacpacjac, MrFixIt and Romans6 like this.
  13. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm no expert at anything but I do know that when it comes to bacteria, viruses and I'm guessing most parasites, there is a needed incubation period before they multiply enough to cause illness. 1-2 hours just isn't enough time in most cases.

And while I've never had these things, I know a few people that have been sick from water borne illness and it stuck with them for a long time. For example, some friends got sick in Mexico from contaminated water and it was almost a month before they were no longer feeling any of the effects.

I'm guessing either you were already sick or it was some acute exposure to a toxin such as a chemical or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roughneck75, x39, 2jka and 11 others like this.
  14. MAD777

MAD777 Hiker

Blog Posts:
    You sound like my wife who has an aversion to tadpoles swimming in her water bottle. #itsallpartofnature LOL

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

15. Togus

Togus Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You could always add a couple drops of regular household chlorine bleach to augment the filtered water. Two drops per liter ought chlorinate the water enough to be safe. You may want to research this, but I'm thinking 2gtts/Liter.

16. WoodGnome

WoodGnome Woodgnome Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If it's pouring down it's always better to collect the rain water. If there's no rain -> no problem with boiling... But boiling isn't the top notch method either. As soon as you have pesticides - as has been mentioned already - you won't get rid of them by boiling.

For filters in general: What you want to have if you have to rely on filtering with a Katadyn or similar is the finest filter you can get and which has an activated charcoal layer on top. It won't get any safer especially in areas with heavy farming.

Romans6, 2jka, bacpacjac and 2 others like this.
  17. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You missed a chance at a relatively clean water source when it rained... I'd still have filtered it, but always start with the best available.

I won't drink most of the water here in LA in general... we're at the bottom of the filter, so to speak, and what comes to us via river has been through a bunch of farmers fields from the upper midwest on down. This is especially true of the Red and Mississippi rivers.

I will drink from most running sources, especially after a rain, in an area I go most often as it is fairly clean from a ground chemical contamination perspective. However, as Forestree demonstrated on a recent trip report we did in that area, the silt from a certain type of clay clogged his Sawyer after only a quart. A small stream coming into the one we were on, just a short distance away, came from a different valley/draw and was a different color (almost clear) and might not have done that. I typically use Polar Pure. If I'm going somewhere other than that area, (like a canoe trip locally, with no portages), I will often just bring 3 gallons from home for the weekend.

Romans6, Huey, BillyBogota and 4 others like this.
  18. Brew-Jitsu

Brew-Jitsu Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @raschalt2000 can add a lot of info on this. I'm hoping he chimes in with his expertise.

2jka, bacpacjac and MrFixIt like this.
  19. southron

southron Scout

Blog Posts:
    I learned a trick somewhere:

Go near the edge of the water and dig a hole right at the edge, but not into the pond.

Let the hole fill up and get your water from there

Filter it through something like a bandana or tee shirt or millbank bag / etc to get out any solids

Boil it

Drink it.

Jim

20. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm also leaning in the direction of "you were sick before you drank".
    When I was a kid it was not a problem to drink from a clear moving stream.
    Now, I'll filter then boil "IF" I need water when out.

hunter63, Romans6, Huey and 3 others like this.
  21. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    my first thought was you got your clean filtered water contaminated with dirty unfiltered water somehow.

I've always wondered how I didn't get sick over the years by swimming in natural water sources. enough water had contact with the soft tissue of my eyes, nose and mouth to absorb whatever pathogens were in there.

I would even get some directly in my mouth thinking as long as I didn't swallow it, I was fine. I think we know now that's not true so how did I not get sick before?...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Romans6, Seeker, 2jka and 2 others like this.
  22. crewhead05

crewhead05 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Without more information about your water source it can be hard to make a decision. Whats upstream, what feed the pond etc.

Unless I know of a specific contamination source, mostly in more urban areas, then I would be comfortable with boiling water followed by a drop of iodine if from a stagnet pond.

Here is a report from the world health organization on boiling water. Read and make your own conclusions. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/155821/1/WHO_FWC_WSH_15.02_eng.pdf?ua=1

morganbw, Romans6 and bacpacjac like this.
  23. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was n a fire in Bakersfield Ca, 40 years ago, every one was out of water, so i found a small revene and began digging and found water.
    using only cloth we filtered the dirt and filled our canteens and no one got sick.
    in those days we drank from streams all the time.
    But then i lived in the mountains and drank from a shallow well, normally.

Romans6, 2jka and bacpacjac like this.
  24. sigma_pete

sigma_pete Tracker

Blog Posts:
    +1 for using your tarp, poncho or a large garbage bag to catch rain water next time as your first choice source.

Others offered good advice for avoiding runoff from roads/parking lots and farms, which are sources of heavy metals, asbestos, pesticides and all kinds of nasty stuff.

I use a Katadyn filter and have never had a problem, even with nasty Florida swamp water. I just have to pre-filter through a handkerchief to remove solids that would clog up the filter.

I also carry a bottle of liquid iodine and a handful of Chlor-floc packets in my first aid kit for "just in case", and for demonstrating them as alternatives to boy scouts. Only use one or the other, NOT both on together.

Nothing proves a point like having scouts collect the nastiest water they can find during a hike (and they will take that as a personal challenge), then I'll run it through a hankie into another bottle, add Chlor-floc, let it do its magic, rack into another bottle (leaving the flocked sediment behind), and drink away to all their ooh's, aah's, and yucks!!! Good times.

Truth be told, I hate using iodine. I carry it mostly for demo and because it does duel duly in the first aid kit. Water treated with it tastes awful and you have to be careful if you or someone your sharing with has thyroid problems.

I almost never boil water for drinking. Too much work since the biggest metal container with me on a hike or canoe trip is usually my army canteen cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Romans6 and bacpacjac like this.
  25. hdlv

hdlv Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use the same filter and have never had an issue. I generally avoid ponds as a water source, I've never had an issue but one time I filtered my water from one walked around the corner and saw a guy peeing right into the water. I know the filter would take care of that but pond water already tastes gross to me so the image didn't help.

I'm pretty sure it takes a while for bacteria to start causing issues... up to two weeks for Giardia.

I'm just throwing this out there but did you maybe psych yourself out? I know people that when worried something (maybe a food) will make them sick do in fact get sick, while no one else even who ate the same food shows any symptoms.

Then maybe you just had one of those freak 24 hour bugs...

26. raschalt2000

raschalt2000 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Boiling is alway best.
    Next best is the filter.
    Adding bleach or iodine should be saved for a last resort.

If the water is reasonably clear and you can boil then filtering is not going to help anything. If it's cloudy, then sure a filter would help a tiny bit in terms of personal perception of taste.

Most filters can't remove dissolved contaminates anyway.

Just leave the filter at home and carry a bigger cutting tool to make more fuel for boiling.

You said it was raining, I would bet money you cross contaminated some food, or even the water bottle with wet muddy hands, or water dripping from your hat.

You said it came and went pretty quick. Doesn't sound like bacteria or virus. I think your filter was fine.

If you send me a sample I can see if I can do a plate to see if anything grows. I would not be able to tell you what it is just a yes or no if there is any bad bugs in the sample.

SmilinJoe, cek, Romans6 and 6 others like this.
  27. WoodyGraham

WoodyGraham Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've never had any issues with my sawyer. I've used it many times from pretty stagnant water and never gotten sick. I'm also leaning toward previous illness or another source.

Romans6 likes this.
  28. slysir

slysir Scout

Blog Posts:
    Even distilled isn't safe...I drank half a bottle of Tequila and the room started spinning then...RALPH!!

Next time I'll try boiling it and adding chlorine...on second thought, I might have had a bad lemon!!

-John

Katdaddy, isme, OutnBacker and 5 others like this.
  29. Jasonacraft

Jasonacraft Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This!

Aaaaaaaand I'm pretty sure the filters aren't fine enough for viruses. If you did get it from the water it would hang with you for a while.

If I'm in this lake water situation (almost always....I chem treat first, then filter. I've drank some nasty ish over the years, but ain't been bit yet.

Hang in there

Romans6 and sigma_pete like this.
  30. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    yes but a virus isn't going to have you throwing up in 2 hrs. prolly not the filter...

Jasonacraft and Romans6 like this.
  31. Romans6

Romans6 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the suggestions, comments, and advice. This thread has been very helpful, sorry if I haven't replied to every comment. It seems silly to think I didn't just pull out my canteen cup and get some of the water when it was raining and used the filter instead. Good learning experience I guess. Thanks again!

MrFixIt likes this.
  32. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    It is not uncommon that a person forget's to clean out the canteen between uses and even though it may have had good water in it previously ,water can grow stuff while dormant.
    Most every time I head out with water , I wash out the container first , then fill it.
    In my later years by digestive system isn't what it was, as a kid .
    One visit to mexico will prove to you how bullet proof you "are not".
    I cary filters now days and are in reserve in the event I need them. till then they stay dry and clean . I believe that once one begins to use them the clock is ticking. bacteria might be stopped but not necessarily killed .What ever sustained it in the pond it came from, is still with it inside the filter element.
    Whether it is true or not I just as soon error on the side of caution, than on the side of ASSUMPTION .
    That said, I employ more than one method of water treatment , UV light and colloidal silver.
    What I believe is important to remember is that Post SHTF ,getting sick in any way, makes one all the more vulnerable, and dehydration gets serious in the boonies .
    Boiling will not remove all the chemicals in the water however activated charcoal will function to remove most of it.
    I have built a distillery that can be brought along using a pressure cooker . the first of the steam is let free and the rest is condensed in a "known clean container".
    Nothing wrong with hauling along a small container of dish soap, it cleans just about every thing.

SmilinJoe likes this.
  33. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    I use a sawyer either/and/or bleach for treating water. Never had an issue. Usually skip the filter if the water looks at least sort of clearish, and use just bleach. I use 3-4 drops per quart, shake it up real good then let it sit for a few minutes before I drink.

34. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've been up in the BWCA and got bad water. But it was from tannins in the water. The lake had lots of dead conifer run off. The water was tea colored and destroyed our filters(multiple). Boiling the water purified it but of course didn't change the chemical composition. We burned our tounges and throats drinking that boiled water. Unfortunately we were not carrying extra "good" water and needed it for a long portage. Since that trip, I carry extra known good water. It's worth the extra weight.

35. Canajun

Canajun Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A common error is to get your equipment or hands wet with untreated water. The end result can be as if you hadn't bothered with a filter at all.

36. PDA

PDA Scout

Blog Posts:

37. Jasonacraft

Jasonacraft Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    From Sawyer, for those curious. The mini is the PointOne.

First, Sawyer’s filters and purifiers are rated in Absolute Microns. This means there is no pore size larger than 0.1 or 0.02 micron in size on the PointONE[emoji769] and PointZEROTWO[emoji769] respectively. This means that it is impossible for harmful bacteria, protozoa, or cysts like E. coli, Giradia, Vibrio cholerae and Salmonella typhi (which cause Cholera and Typhoid) to pass through the Sawyer filters and purifiers. At 7 log (99.99999%) the filter attains the highest level of filtration available today. The PointZEROTWO[emoji769] filter removes both bacteria and viruses.

Sawyer PointONE[emoji769] Filtration
    The PointONE[emoji769] filtration system is usually all you would need unless you are traveling internationally (developing countries) where waterborne viruses such as hepatitis and/or Polio are present. This system removes all harmful pathogens from your water.

Sawyer PointZEROTWO[emoji769] Purifier
    If viruses are an issue, we offer the PointZeroTWO[emoji769] Purifier (0.02 micron absolute pores), the first and thus far only portable purification device to physically remove viruses which it does at a >5.5 log (99.9997%) rate, exceeding EPA and NSF recommendations. Due to the significantly higher level of filtration, PointZEROTWO’s flow rate is considerably slower than the PointONE[emoji769] filters.

North America vs. Third World Countries
    In North America we do not have concerns about viruses in our water. They simply cannot survive. Viruses derive from contaminated human sewage and die shortly after entering a body of water. In Third World countries outbreaks have occurred due to poor treatment of sewage. Sewage without viruses can be handled by the PointONE[emoji769] filter. The only viruses with the potential to survive in water are hepatitis (which is rare) and Polio (which is extremely rare). You can contact CDC for information on virus outbreaks in areas for which you are traveling.