Tops B.O.B. Fieldcraft Sheath mods Mark II

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by Renny, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Renny

Renny Scout

Blog Posts:
    Still designing my all leather sheath for the B.O.B i decided to get rid of the metal clip wish i had already added a leather loop.
    i decided to ad a dangler and a front pouch with a new leather fire steel holder.
    For now i just put my leatherman multitool in front of the kydex and and a fire steel loop on one side of the kydex sheath. Once i have more time i will make a custom pouch for it.
    This allows me to carry my multitool or a small flashlight or a sharpening stone with the knife. Its easy to disassemble with the chicago screws.

P1040278.jpg

P1040279.jpg

The Dangler Belt loop is secured with the original metal clip screw and with to rivets on the leather accessory that holds the pouch wish is secured with two chicago screws
    i carves a small notch in the kydex so the Swedish fire steel snaps snugly in to place

P1040281.jpg

Thanks for watching

2. MarcoMontana

MarcoMontana Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks good, I bet its heavy though?

3. Renny

Renny Scout

Blog Posts:
    With the multitool in the pouch is sure is on the heavy side but i probably will put a small sharpening stone and some tinder in the pouch

4. wizard

wizard Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not a big lover of the knife but that sheath is great. I may even go for a BOB if I had a useful sheath like yours. Nice work!

5. Ratchety

Ratchety Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice work Renny!

6. RMAR

RMAR Scout

Blog Posts:
    Awesome work on the sheath.

What don't you like about the knife? I will most likely end up with one of these soon.

7. Renny

Renny Scout

Blog Posts:
    I only had the knife for about 1 month but i am absolutely loving the knife. The knife is spectacular. I still love my mora #2 allot and before i got the B.O.B. i used the condor bushlore wish is a great workinghorse for the price but the heat treat on the tops is way better. The condor ships easier than the tops. The B.O.B takes an edge and holds it just spectacular. The handle is one of the most conferrable i have used up date. As nothing can be made perfect for every user i have a few things i will mod over time: I will strip that epox coating. smooth the jimmpings a little bit and maybe grind down the pommel till it is flushed with the scales, but other than that... its a great chopper, better carving small things than i had anticipated and even slices food very well. But you got to go with what you like and what feels good not only in your hand but what satisfies you overall.

Good luck!

8. RMAR

RMAR Scout

Blog Posts:
    What is the best way to strip the coating?

9. Renny

Renny Scout

Blog Posts:
    if you want the laser engravings to show than you should use a chemical powder coating stripper, if not you can do it by hand with sandpaper or with a electric grinder with sandpaper but in smaller intervals so you don't mess up the heat treat. But dont take my word for it, i have never done it, i have only seen it on you tube. I will take the scales of and try the chemical stripper and than force a patina on it

10. Adam

Adam Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Very nice.

11. Renny

Renny Scout

Blog Posts:
    i have finished the mods i talked about. Its has become an A+ knife for me know.

Attached Files:

12. RMAR

RMAR Scout

Blog Posts:
    Awesome job. Love the pouch.

Did you use the chemical stripper or did you have to use another method of stripping the coating off? What did you gain by removing the striker notch? Was it just the look?

13. Renny

Renny Scout

Blog Posts:
    thanx RMAR

I used a normal chemical paint stripper, i let it sit for 15 minutes and scraped it off with a spatula. it did not come of completely, i use a little 600 grit sandpaper to clean it of.
    I removed the striker notch for better handling and for looks and since i prepare the spine of the knife for trowing sparks i did not need it anyways

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013