TOPS Brothers of Bushcraft Knife

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Grizzly Adams, May 28, 2012.

1. Grizzly Adams

Grizzly Adams Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know there have been several threads on this knife. I simply wanted to do a simple review for you guys who have not tried it or maybe considering it. I had read about it at various places, but when I was at the Hardwoodsman meet I got to handle one. Thanks One Legged Josh, you cost me $111.90. After playing with it I definitely wanted to add it to my collection of blades.

First off I searched around for the best price on this knife and found it to be here. $103.95 + $7.95 for shipping
    http://www.knifeworks.com/topsbobknifeblacktractioncoatingtancanvasmicartawkydexsheath.aspx
    I ordered it on a Wednesday night and it was at my door on Saturday morning. This was the first time I have ordered from them and I can definitely say I will shop there again.

The blade is very sharp right out of the box. I am pleased with the quality, but I am not surprised as every TOPS product I have has been of great quality. The notch that is cut into the pommel for the fire steel works pretty well. It does not work as well as a awl on the Swiss Farmer, but much better than the scrapers that come on most steels. The fire-steel that comes with it I do not like as well as my "Lite My Fire- Army" steel. This is not a deal breaker as my LMF steel fits the sheath just fine, so no biggie.

This weekend I did a quick over night campout at our family farm. I used the knife for making split wood prep for my Emberlit stove, as well as feather sticks. After doing the prep to boil tea, and make bannock, it was still sharp enough to slice paper and shave the hair on my arm.

I haven't had a chance to try out the bow drill socket on the handle, but will give that a try soon. I will report back on its success or failure.

Here are a few pics from today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My verdict so far is that for under $125, I don't think you can go wrong. Don't get me wrong it is no handcrafted custom knife, but it is a great knife for the money. If you are on a budget, I think that you would be happy with this knife. It will not be replacing my Tracker, but it definitely has its place in my kit!

I will report back on edge retention, ease of sharpening, and how the bow drill socket works! Thanks for reading!

2. Howie

Howie Guide Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    Over all I would agree with you, it chops, it splits, it cuts. its a knife. It does resharpen easilly, esp if you convex it, or might be better called a scandi-vex? Then its a feather stickin', try sticken' machine!

A few complaints, be interested in yours and others thoughts with use:
    sheath sucks. significantly dulls the blade with use. belt clip sucks even more (problem soved-on waiting list for a good J leather replacement)

bow drill socket is too far off the end of the knife to get a really good bearing hold.
    would like to see that centered of the handle. even if it means you have to pay attention when you take it out of the sheath to do this. I know thats asking o lot from toadys socitey

the shango notch, a gimick would rather have the extended tang without it. the back of the blade works better, problem solved

the supplied FS another gimmick, thank goodness it lasted less than one splitwood fire, and an LMF army fits perfectly, problem solved

Other than that, i really diggin the knife, the only other knife to get me going was my GRK and a mora clipper

3. stronghorse

stronghorse Guide

Blog Posts:
    Seems like a nice find. Looks like it should do well as a chopper also.

4. Grizzly Adams

Grizzly Adams Scout

Blog Posts:
    The sheath is no that bad to me. I agree that leather would be a smoother fit. I still am using the kydex sheath on my Tracker, but I am on J's waiting list for a leather jacket for it. I am sure that I will eventually get one for this knife as well. All in all though it does its job, and is a no maintenance piece.

The FS that came with it doesn't shower sparks like my LMF one does. I agree that my LMF Army fits perfectly in it as well.

Good luck and thanks for the feedback.

5. Longbow29

Longbow29 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sigh.....

I allready have enough TOPS knives.....

And money is short.....

Then this pops up!

LOL...

6. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I am with you Howie. Same observations.

I need to remove the shango, convex the blade and have J make me a sheath.

7. rhino

rhino Tracker

Blog Posts:
    As I also have much disdain for the kydex (plastic) sheath I ordered a dangler leather sheath from Beo-wulf (Robert Jones). Should be a huge upgrade

8. Mr Moon

Mr Moon Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Got one about 2 days ago and was pleased. Had no problem starting and fire and it seems to be a good fit to the kit.

9. codeman1798

codeman1798 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hi all,

Not wanting to show off my ignorance, but what is a "shango notch"?

Cody

10. Grizzly Adams

Grizzly Adams Scout

Blog Posts:
    Its just a fancy way of saying you have a notch in the handle to strike a firesteel.

11. 7.62

7.62 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I got a sheath from Beo-Wulf for my Tops B.O.B,it's a great sheath.

12. Grizzly Adams

Grizzly Adams Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have actually been seriously wanting to pull the trigger on one as well. Any pics?

13. OzaawaaMigiziNini

OzaawaaMigiziNini Guide

Blog Posts:
    Love seein' that girl in action.. just gonna sit back and bask in the smooth cool.

14. reptilian mind

reptilian mind Tracker

Blog Posts:
  15. codeman1798

codeman1798 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Glad i learned something.

Cody

16. K Williams

K Williams Tracker

Blog Posts:
    OT: Boots?

Who makes those boots? Thanks.

17. cloudraker

cloudraker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Those look like Scarpa or Zamberlains. Made in Italy.

18. Grizzly Adams

Grizzly Adams Scout

Blog Posts:
    Danner Mountain Light II. Best hiking boot I have ever owned. My second pair. The first ones only lasted me about 13yrs. Resoled I don't know how many times.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

19. Grizzly Adams

Grizzly Adams Scout

Blog Posts:
    Made in USA.

20. Loogaroo

Loogaroo BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    No serrations and weighs more than 3 oz? clearly not a survival knife! :4:
    JK I like this bunches.

21. Med Gecko

Med Gecko Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have this knife and it is a great survival knife. I'm not sold on it as a dedicated Bushcrafter. I prefer a thinner, lighter blade for that. Of course, that is merely my preference.

22. Grizzly Adams

Grizzly Adams Scout

Blog Posts:
    I prefer a thicker one as I find them more sturdy when batoning. That being said if I have an axe with me, then I don't baton much.

23. Labrador85

Labrador85 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was wondering what the tang is like under the handle scales, is it solid beside the screw holes or does it have any large cut outs like the BK2, Looking for a new bushcraft knife under $120, should I go with the B.O.B or something else.

24. hglass

hglass Scout

Blog Posts:
    You won't regret purchasing the BOB

25. Dutchman

Dutchman SDO Proud. Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've got a TOPS Lite Trekker on the way (should be on the front porch today!), but I've also got my eye on that B.O.B. That is one fine lookin' blade. The Trekker will actually be my first TOPS knife, but from everything I've read, I'm sure I will love it. I actually prefer lighter, thinner blades for bushcrafting purposes. 1/8" carbon steel is my favorite. My go to right now is my Mora Bushcraft Black, but I can't wait to get my hands on that Trekker. Something tells me I will be in the market for a B.O.B. before too long. Thanks for the reviews, fellas!

26. .356luger

.356luger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Was going to say danner or carolina

Thorogood makes some good boots too mos t ly in the us

27. K Williams

K Williams Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My work(Structural Ironworker) boots are Thorogoods. Eight inch, flat sole.

28. Sig357

Sig357 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a Tops BOB as well. It's serviceable not spectacular. You get what you pay for.

It's certainly sturdy and sharp.

I removed the coating with E Z strip. It's just my opinion, the sheath, fire steel and shango notch are......somewhat gimmicks.

I did make my own leather sheath for it and that has been an improvement.

Sig

29. rscornutt

rscornutt Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have beat the crap out of my BOB. It's comfortable to use, holds a really good edge, and is sturdy. I finally removed what was left of the coating.

The sheath is serviceable, although the belt clip sucks. I made a dangler for it and it works ok until I get leather for it. Shango notch = useless.

It's one of the better knives I own, and I like it a lot. It's not just a good knife for the money, it's a good, solid knife.

30. Self Reliantist

Self Reliantist Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'll pipe up!
    I have an BOB, shango notch : ineffectual; firesteel : soft mischmetal & hard
    magnesium(Hemlock79's is worlds better).
    1095=decent steel, the coating is easy enough to remove when it gets ragged.
    I found the handle a little lacking in girth 'til I remembered I wear gloves when
    blisters may be encountered, all better with that realization.
    I don't mind an kydex sheath, but an belt carry for this knife's purpose is just
    wrong. I fashioned an insert out of kydex that fits inside the metal and is looped
    around an circular carabiner thing, this in turn hangs from an belt wrap that is split
    so it can index to an belt loop and not rotate around my waist. Now it's an dangler
    sheath that can rotate to a decent angle for "weak side draw" because of that captured
    'O' ring thing.
    Next I used my Dremel to pair down the OD of one of those key ring separaters(the ones
    that you push the pin and the sleeves separate) to fit through the lanyard hole and voilá
    an expediently removable lanyard that can double as the leg lash. Just add some 550 and
    three cordlocks. The amount of pin that extrudes from the scales on both sides in wrist
    lanyard mode, when held by the index and second fingers allows an pivot, and three
    extra inches of swing length when chopping, be careful and use the cordlocks appropriately.

Norm

Last edited: May 16, 2014