Tramontina axes/hatchets?

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by mangkukhan, Feb 12, 2017.

1. mangkukhan

mangkukhan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So today I was browsing eBay looking for an axe cover and at the bottom of one of the listings was one of those "you might be interested" links. It showed a Tramontina hatchet, I wasn't aware they made them but after some googling I saw they make axes and hammers as well as cutlery and their machetes. However I can find no other sources for sales or review. Anyone have insight, for $20 I'm somewhat interested in a new hatchet if it's decent.

Faiaoga, Haggis and hidingpool like this.
  2. chasntuna

chasntuna Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've got a few Tromantina things but no axes. I have a machete, cane knife and a few kitchen knives, all seem to be better value than what you pay for them. I'd not hesitate to buy any of their products.
    Edit: also bought a set of their skillets after Christmas. These replaced Calphalon! The santuku and chefs knives I have replaced a set of Henkel knives. Bottom line is they're cheap and they take great edge (carbon blades). Had them for 7-8 years now and use them every day.

beacon, steel a way and hidingpool like this.
  3. Area FiftyOne

Area FiftyOne Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a Tramontina machete and think that it is fine. I have used it a few times and it has served me well. The "best" feature of it is the sheath which is outstanding. Since my model is older I don't know if the present day machetes come with as nice a sheath. As a side note: I have a salesman's sample and sheath of the same machete I have. It is cute!!

4. 62flint

62flint Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My brother brought a set of Tramontina knives to our hunting camp and I was impressed by how good the steel was. I don't know how old they are, but they were in a wooden block, all have wooden handles, and SS blades. They are superior to the stuff we have, so I located a used set on ebay last week and bought 'em.

5. Madwell

Madwell Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have what I believe is a tramontina 2.25 pound boys axe head. It has a capitol T in a circle and made in Brazil stamped on the side. I got the head for free without a handle. I have tried to Google these axes but didn't find anything. It's the one on the bottom the top is a Collins. I hung the tramontina on a 19" handle so far it's seems like a good head. [​IMG]

Faiaoga likes this.
  6. mangkukhan

Blog Posts:
    Just ordered one, hopefully it is as nice as the tramontina machete I have.

Madwell likes this.
  7. mangkukhan

Blog Posts:
    So I got the hatchet in the mail today and it is fantastic. I love it, best feeling/handling hatchet I have ever owned. Feels like a tomahawk but definately ready to do some camp chores. They list it as a hunt axe and I could see myself taking it along on hunts to crack pelvic bones or quarter a deer. Will definately replace both my Estwing and Husqvarna hatchets as my go to for any small axe needs. The haft is thinner than my other hatchets so it sits better in the hand when chocking up on the head for finer work. Now only problem is convincing myself not to order one or two more, noticed after I ordered the first that I can get them with combined shipping so I really should have ordered two the first time. Enjoy the pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Huey, MrFixIt, backlasher and 6 others like this.
  8. mangkukhan

Blog Posts:
    Just a quick update, took a few minutes to take the hatchet out back today to give it a spin. Took a try on some oak dowels I have, use them as fire pokers or for lifting the grill when bbq'n. Cut them to pieces like a champ, feathered well, need to clean the edge up a bit with a file to get it where I like but as is out of the box she's a chopper.

Huey, SoreFeet, MrFixIt and 1 other person like this.
  9. highlander

highlander Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's an interesting safety wedge...

10. Bob_Spr

Bob_Spr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Tramontina is like Mora in that they produce good quality items at a reasonable prices for working people.

Bob

SoreFeet and Faiaoga like this.
  11. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ok, just added one to my shopping list. Can't beat that price.

12. woodsranger

woodsranger Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! Just ordered one too. $10 for a tramontina?? If it's even close to as good as their machetes, it's a steal!

All I need it for is splitting/batoning wood 3-4" thick, so it should serve me well. Should be a piece of cake to shorten the handle from 14 to 12" too!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  13. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    I finally gave in and ordered one, they were $10.50 plus $11.50 shipping but they just changed it to $22 with free shipping lol.

14. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    Got mine today, very nicely finished and chopped through some arm thick branches no problem! All it needs is a little sharpening and a mask and it will be good to go!

MrFixIt and mangkukhan like this.
  15. Faiaoga

Faiaoga Guide

Blog Posts:
    Is there any contact information for ordering these axes and other tools? I have used and am impressed by Tramontina mechetes. :41:

Madwell likes this.
  16. mangkukhan

Blog Posts:
    Only place ive found them is ebay. I know they make more axes but have yet to source another vendor.

17. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
  18. Madwell

Madwell Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I haven't found any place that sells their other axes state side. I received mine for free from my father in law in the condition shown above. I tried to do a little research on it and couldn't really find anything other than the manufacturers web page. Here's a picture of it with my 18" Tramontina Latin machete.[​IMG]
    I am by no means an expert but it seems like a quality axe to me.

Faiaoga and NCLivingBrit like this.
  19. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    I took mine out this afternoon to gather some fatwood limbs. Even having done nothing to improve the edge it was a peach.

Now I am eager to sharpen it and see what it can really do!

Madwell likes this.
  20. Madwell

Madwell Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'd like to hear your thoughts after sharpening.The steel on my tramontina head seemed very hard compared to other axe heads I've sharpened.

NCLivingBrit likes this.
  21. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm probably not the best guy to give an opinion, I've never sharpened an axe properly before.

Madwell likes this.
  22. Madwell

Madwell Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You know how to get to carnegie hall? As I said earlier I'm no expert either. I've learned a lot here on BCUSA, watching you tube and through trial and error. The good news is even if you totally screwed it up (which is unlikely) you'd only be out 22 dollars.

NCLivingBrit and TWill like this.
  23. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well if I totally bodge it I have a guy who can probably fix it for me. I've got a sharpening puck on the way.

24. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    Well I got a Lansky puck and gave the edge a quick once over and it definitely cuts better now but it's still not shaving sharp. My trail hawk shows the most improvement, that thing really needed a good sharpening apparently.

I think I'd like to thin the edge a little, so I'll break out the files and the vice a bit later.

25. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    I would definitely suggest picking up a good bastard single cut file for sharpening and profiling axes. The stone is great for honing and maintaining an edge. I've had good luck with Bahco files, the currently produced Nicolson files, Stanly, and other cheapo files are complete junk in my experience. These axes don't look to bad, and if I'm not mistaken I believe Condor is owned by the same parent company. Not surprising that they are decent quality.

NCLivingBrit likes this.
  26. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    I got it sharp enough to need a mask. Not much good thick leather left to choose from so I went simple to make sure I didn't waste any :)

20170323_155659-1.jpg

Madwell likes this.